Refuse the baby bath! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

#31 of 45 Old 05-22-2009, 02:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Awesome... thanks Christine... and to the original poster.

Grumpy72 ::
M 6/2001, S 12/2005, E 6/2009 (31wkr) & birth-mum to H 9/2003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 45 Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 PM

Our first was born in the hospital she is now nearly 5, soon after the homebirth of her sister (16 mos) she and I talked about her birth. She was very sad that she had been born in the hospital. She went on to describe vividly how they gave her a bath and she did not like it. She said she was cold and wanted her mama and wanted nanas (our term for nursing). She cried and cried this was a memory as we had never discussed it before and the only births on video and live she had been exposed to were lovely homebirths. That little seemingly insignificant bath made a huge impact on her so I say always always always REFUSE THE BATH BABIES DON'T LIKE IT!

Ranni
#33 of 45 Old 05-24-2009, 07:04 PM

I just read about that as well and plan to talk to my midwife about not giving the first bath as the vernix is a natural moisturizer. With my last child I told the nurse I would bathe him, and ended up only wiping his face.

Ada lady.gifWife to ~ geek.gifFrank ~ Mom to photosmile2.gifHarry (10) ~ hearts.gifHanna (8) ~ superhero.gifHenry (5) ~ and  diaper.gifHalia arrived 8/21 
#34 of 45 Old 05-24-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
huh? why can't the baby be with you in recovery? the only time the baby usually isn't allowed with you (but is with dad) is while you are being stitched up.
Well, with my 1st baby, I wasn't given that option and didn't know to ask to keep the baby with me (didnt expect a c-section).

And 2nd and 3rd babies had to go to NICU.

This baby *shouldn't* need the NICU, but they will wheel me into a huge room with beds lined up (separated by curtains) and monitor me for about an hour until I regain feeling in my feet and stuff. I've never seen any babies in there - and there isn't room for a bassinet. They don't allow the baby to be held by mom and moved in the mom's bed.

Thorn: if you've never heard of this, what have you heard of? What do other hospitals, that you know of, do with c-section moms?

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#35 of 45 Old 05-24-2009, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post
Well, with my 1st baby, I wasn't given that option and didn't know to ask to keep the baby with me (didnt expect a c-section).

And 2nd and 3rd babies had to go to NICU.

This baby *shouldn't* need the NICU, but they will wheel me into a huge room with beds lined up (separated by curtains) and monitor me for about an hour until I regain feeling in my feet and stuff. I've never seen any babies in there - and there isn't room for a bassinet. They don't allow the baby to be held by mom and moved in the mom's bed.

Thorn: if you've never heard of this, what have you heard of? What do other hospitals, that you know of, do with c-section moms?
I am having a planned C-section this time around. When I ended up having a c-section with my daughter after apgars and stats were taken, baby was wiped up and swaddled, dad and baby went to sit in the recovery room and bond (private area adjoining the OR I was in) while I was stitched up. Then I was wheeled in there, and when I was stable (not shivering from the anethesia anymore- about 15-20 minutes) my nurse put my daughter to my breast to nurse. Baby wasn't ever out of my or dh's sight. After a bit more time in recovery and nursing, I was wheeled to my room (baby HAD to be wheeled also in her isolette- liability stuff- she couldn't be carried) and she roomed in with us the rest of the time. The only time she left my room was so the ped. could clean some gunk out of her ear. (She kept failing her hearing test and I guess it was something in her ear that explained it.) She did get a bath the night she was born- later on, but had I known better I would have asked them to hold off for a day or two on that. I doubt they would have had any problem with it. Our hospital is certified "baby-friendly" so maybe that is why my experience was different, but honestly until I had heard other peoples stories from different areas, I thought what I experienced was pretty standard.

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#36 of 45 Old 05-25-2009, 12:07 AM

I had my c/s at a HUGE "baby factory" hospital in Atlanta, and they took her to recovery (with my husband accompanying her) while I was being stitched up. when they wheeled me in, she was in there in a warmer (had already had the bath and everything, sigh ) but she stayed in there with me until my postpartum room was ready, and we were wheeled down there together. me in the bed and her in the bassinet, they wouldn't let me hold her while we were moving.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#37 of 45 Old 05-25-2009, 08:28 AM

Christine and Heidi - Our hospital isn't like that They are otherwise "baby friendly", though.

#38 of 45 Old 05-25-2009, 11:38 AM

that sucks it was hard enough being separated from my baby while they stitched me up.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#39 of 45 Old 05-25-2009, 03:29 PM

Yeah It is hard.

#40 of 45 Old 05-26-2009, 03:03 PM

We'll definitely be refusing the bath! As well as the circumcision, the VitK shot, the HepB shot, the eye drops. Can't they just leave the babies alone???

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#41 of 45 Old 05-27-2009, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by writteninkursive View Post
We'll definitely be refusing the bath! As well as the circumcision, the VitK shot, the HepB shot, the eye drops. Can't they just leave the babies alone???
They can and they should!
#42 of 45 Old 05-27-2009, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhianaW14 View Post
I've never heard of this and I am taking courses to become a breastfeeding counselor....

I also have had 4 births thus far (in the hospital). 2 were formula fed, 2 were nursed, and I've never had issues. I had a surrogate baby last May and was able to nurse her after a c-section without issues- and she had a bath.
The sucking action of the baby is what helps to release the oxytocin. The Montgomery's tubercles are oil producing glands which help to lubricate the area and reduce bacterial growth.
I prefer the kids to be bathed because the smell bothers me.
I didn't say nursing was impossible if the baby was bathed.

I am a Doula and had to take a breastfeeding course as well. The sucking action may release oxytocin, but the smell of the amnio fluid and baby actually help release the love hormone oxytocin for the mom and thus aid in bonding. This was something we covered in class. The amniotic fluid smells similar to the montgomery tubercles fluid. If baby was automatically placed on mothers chest and amnio fluid trace is left on her chest it aids in baby led latch, which by far is the best and most effective/gentle latch.

There are reasons not to bathe, at the end of the day it is your choice, but it is completely unnecessary. The only reason hospitals do it, is so the nurses do not have to glove up everytime they touch baby. Preference is preference. I am just trying to make people think about these routine procedures prior to just accepting it is so.
#43 of 45 Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 PM

I'm sure my babe will be a nursing champ like his Big Bro, but I hadn't even considered skipping the bath! Thanks for bringing this topic up, Torre!
Unnecessary is unnecessary... Period.

Sami; Dedicated to Joey, 6yrs as Wife... already 10 as Sweetheart heartbeat.gif
"attached" SAHM for our spunky Leo boys twins.gif Loki & Joseph (2 & 5)

2ndtri.gif We've got a new addition - our first babygirl - arriving mid to late February! Life is good.

#44 of 45 Old 05-27-2009, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by samikashi View Post
I'm sure my babe will be a nursing champ like his Big Bro, but I hadn't even considered skipping the bath! Thanks for bringing this topic up, Torre!
Unnecessary is unnecessary... Period.
#45 of 45 Old 05-27-2009, 08:21 PM

When my daughter was born in a birthing center around midnight, she was put skin to skin with me for about 1 hour & then swaddled - she wasn't bathed until the next evening & it was a light washcloth & Dr. Bronner's bath...yet another reason that I wasn't aware of but am glad that I didn't have a hospital birth! Thanks for the info...

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page