sex in 3rd trimester question (sorry if tmi) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 05-26-2009, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am around 30 weeks and I was wondering if sex is making you have braxton hicks? I haven't been having much (sex) lately, but the last time I had sex, I had loads of braxton hicks, and they are so uncomfortable. Anyone else experience this?

I am hoping someone can answer this thread before it gets removed.
#2 of 20 Old 05-26-2009, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Nothing wrong with talking about sex here! So long as it's on topic for pregnancy stuff and not explicit. Yeah sex often causes some contractions, for me it's more like uterus contracting and staying that way a while, not BH where the tightness comes and goes. I figure it's worth it.
#3 of 20 Old 05-26-2009, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
I figure it's worth it.
Yeah I thought is was worth it at the time, but after hours of BH, I am kind of regretting the deed.
#4 of 20 Old 05-26-2009, 06:03 PM

YES!!!! I had some HORRIBLE BH last time we did the deed. They actually put me in tears. And since then i 've been getting worse and worse bh with doing nothing at all. My body does have a pattern though...with dd#1 I started contracting every 3-5 min round the clock from the day before thanksgiving until I had her on jan 1. with dd#2 same thing, but they started 2 weeks earlier, and I didn't have her until jan 31st. I've been noticing these ones have also been starting to take on a pattern of every 15 min or so, so I think this is the same thing again (at least they line up with what I've had to deal with in the past.) I think we just happened to "do the deed" at the most oppertune moment to set off the chain of events.

Hugs to you! I know it sucks!

Crystal- aka "Momma" toLara Karlene 1-1-05 ~ Keira Skyler 1-31-07 ~ Rohnin Viper 8-12-09 & stork-suprise.gif March 2014!!!!

intactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#5 of 20 Old 05-26-2009, 07:10 PM

I get them, just bc it is so intense, but I think they are ok and worth it
#6 of 20 Old 05-26-2009, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone notice if the BH are stronger if the sex was more well shall I say, wild?
#7 of 20 Old 05-26-2009, 08:52 PM

I get them after, but not very intense. They never bothered me. If they had I'm sure we would do it anyway, LOL.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#8 of 20 Old 05-26-2009, 09:53 PM

It might help to be intimate before you go to sleep for the night and then sleep through them...if they aren't too intense for sleeping.

After sex I have excruciating muscular pain that radiates down to my calves. It takes many hours to go away. It brings me to tears. So far it's worse in this pregnancy.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#9 of 20 Old 05-26-2009, 11:15 PM

yes I feel my uterus contract afterward. What bothers me more is this baby likes to crawl up under my ribs afterward and stays there for a lil while. Makes it hard to breath. He is also moving up under my ribs throughout the day every once in a while.

Kim: Wife To Colby. Mommy To DS1 Christopher and DS2 Bradly. :
#10 of 20 Old 05-26-2009, 11:27 PM

I haven't noticed any BH at all yet, even after sex. This is my first pregnancy so I don't know if they happen sometimes, but I don't notice them or that I haven't had any yet.
Sorry I couldn't be anymore helpful.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#11 of 20 Old 05-26-2009, 11:58 PM
Banned

Sex, especially if you orgasm, causes contractions. As long as they eventually stop and are just uncomfortable vs painful, you're fine. It's normal.
#12 of 20 Old 05-27-2009, 08:41 AM

Yes I get them. I get them before sex if DP plays with my nipples for too long as well. OOPS.

What I can't get past are the stupid Yeast infections I keep getting.. UGH
#13 of 20 Old 05-27-2009, 12:44 PM

Yes, it's totally normal. And really, though it's uncomfortable BH are good. They are getting your body ready for the real thing so just practice breathing and relaxing through them.
Good luck!

Proud Army wife and Momma of two.
Jay-my precious boy 2/20/08 & Caroline-my beautiful HBAC baby 8/22/09 :
#14 of 20 Old 05-27-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieCatheryn View Post
Nothing wrong with talking about sex here! So long as it's on topic for pregnancy stuff and not explicit. .

haha, right. tell that to the last really awesome thread that got removed.

Are you getting the BHs when you orgasm or not? I've found that I don't get them if I have an orgasm, but do if I don't.

UCing loud mouth, Fierce Protector of King Aiden, King Isaiah and Empress Estella
#15 of 20 Old 05-27-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Sex, especially if you orgasm, causes contractions. As long as they eventually stop and are just uncomfortable vs painful, you're fine. It's normal.
I'm sure that's true but for me, I get so freaked out every time I have BH b/c I've had complications this preg. with cramping. I insist on taking my cramp bark tincture, though I guess I shouldn't.

I NEVER had BH with my last pregnancy so this is so new and different (and a bit scary) for me...

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#16 of 20 Old 05-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
I'm sure that's true but for me, I get so freaked out every time I have BH b/c I've had complications this preg. with cramping. I insist on taking my cramp bark tincture, though I guess I shouldn't.

I NEVER had BH with my last pregnancy so this is so new and different (and a bit scary) for me...
The entire biological purpose of an orgasm is to make your uterus contract. It helps draw the semen up through the cervix. It's also pretty normal not to feel much if any BH with an earlier pregnancy. I forget the reason why but I never felt much with my first but I did a lot with my second. My afterpains were a lot more wicked too.

Even if you've had complications, unless your practitioner put you on pelvic rest you're good to go
#17 of 20 Old 05-27-2009, 01:35 PM

I haven't gotten any myself, and we're pretty active.
I'm also full-blown nursing a toddler and haven't felt any from that either.

Sami; Dedicated to Joey, 6yrs as Wife... already 10 as Sweetheart heartbeat.gif
"attached" SAHM for our spunky Leo boys twins.gif Loki & Joseph (2 & 5)

2ndtri.gif We've got a new addition - our first babygirl - arriving mid to late February! Life is good.

#18 of 20 Old 05-27-2009, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
The entire biological purpose of an orgasm is to make your uterus contract. It helps draw the semen up through the cervix. It's also pretty normal not to feel much if any BH with an earlier pregnancy. I forget the reason why but I never felt much with my first but I did a lot with my second. My afterpains were a lot more wicked too.

Even if you've had complications, unless your practitioner put you on pelvic rest you're good to go
Yep. Orgasm causes contractions period and so does nipple stimulation. It releases oxytocin into your body and that stimulates the uterus to contract. Semen contains prostaglandins so if your H is ummm, not careful then that might cause a little cramping/discomfort because prostaglandins are notorious for ripening the cervix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samikashi View Post
I haven't gotten any myself, and we're pretty active.
I'm also full-blown nursing a toddler and haven't felt any from that either.
Your body is likely used to the increase of oxytocin from regularly nursing, so you probably have a higher tolerance and contract less.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#19 of 20 Old 05-27-2009, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Well what do you know, the baby was head up, and after a day of intense BH, the babe has turned head down (or pretty close)!
#20 of 20 Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepoet View Post
haha, right. tell that to the last really awesome thread that got removed.

Are you getting the BHs when you orgasm or not? I've found that I don't get them if I have an orgasm, but do if I don't.
The last thread was removed for linking to sex sites, graphic descriptions, and TMI regarding personal experience. If we can keep this to sharing facts, it can stay. If it's graphic enough to create an image, or if it's sharing your personal escapades, then it will be removed. Feel free to PM me with any further questions or concerns.

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page