~~June 8-14 weekly thread~~ - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 79 Old 06-12-2009, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleduck View Post
Your body is made perfectly to deal with this - cave men never would have got very far if we couldn't cope with cuts. maybe when you change the bandage clean it with some tea tree? I might be the worst person to ask, you're lucky if a cut gets cleaned in this house and none of us have ever had an infection or anything...

Can you still walk on it ok?
lol, thank you. For the most part I can walk fine, though it hurt like no other when I tried to do dishes last night. Maybe I can prop it up on the counter while I wash lol?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
Sarah, ouch! I think it sounds like you handled it perfectly. I hope it feels better soon.

I cannot believe I still have 10 (potentially 12) more weeks of growing left. I feel so massive already and I'm not even sure how my skin will manage to stretch anymore. I feel like I'm already the same size I was when DS2 was born. My poor stomach. If I keep growing at this rate it will surely burst. And it is so HOT out here in FL.
Thanks, after a good night's sleep I'm suddenly remembering all the horses I've seen with nasty cuts and they certainly didn't wash it out, and never got infected.

I was wondering the same thing about my own belly. On Friday DH and I were gawking at how weird the skin right around my belly button was, it was all tight and shiny, and sure enough on Saturday I got my very first front side stretch mark. Up until now the marks stayed back on my hips. I guess we'll have to keep as hydrated and moisturized as possible and just cross our fingers the kiddos don't push right out through the front!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#62 of 79 Old 06-12-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
lol, thank you. For the most part I can walk fine, though it hurt like no other when I tried to do dishes last night. Maybe I can prop it up on the counter while I wash lol?
Nope, definately no washing of dishes to be done by you, doctors orders, your foot may fall of if you try to do them again.

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
#63 of 79 Old 06-12-2009, 02:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Nope, definately no washing of dishes to be done by you, doctors orders, your foot may fall of if you try to do them again.

I agree, this is a perfect opportunity to enlist the help of your husband.
#64 of 79 Old 06-12-2009, 02:36 PM
Banned

I forgot to mention this, I have good news!

Firstly, it looks like my husband can apply his military time to his seniority with his state job...which would remove him from the layoff list : He served 4 years in the Navy, so that will give him over 5.5 years seniority total.

Also, apparently Obama is giving all Veterans $250. That's money we can use to buy birth supplies!!!!!!!
#65 of 79 Old 06-12-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post

Firstly, it looks like my husband can apply his military time to his seniority with his state job...which would remove him from the layoff list : He served 4 years in the Navy, so that will give him over 5.5 years seniority total.

Also, apparently Obama is giving all Veterans $250. That's money we can use to buy birth supplies!!!!!!!
Oh my, that is awesome! BTW where did you hear that about money to vetrans? My dh is veteran.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#66 of 79 Old 06-12-2009, 02:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
Oh my, that is awesome! BTW where did you hear that about money to vetrans? My dh is veteran.
I googled and found a ton of hits...but we just got a letter in the mail saying we were going to get the check by July 10th. The link below says you should get it by the first week of June but that's not what we were told.

My husband just specified to tell me it's for disabled veterans only. He gets checks every month from the gov't because working on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier harmed his lungs and caused his asthma.

http://www.four-pillars.ca/2009/03/1...tion-veterans/
#67 of 79 Old 06-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:

That's awesome! What a relief! It's funny how the universe takes care of things like this sometimes

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#68 of 79 Old 06-12-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
I googled and found a ton of hits...but we just got a letter in the mail saying we were going to get the check by July 10th. The link below says you should get it by the first week of June but that's not what we were told.

My husband just specified to tell me it's for disabled veterans only. He gets checks every month from the gov't because working on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier harmed his lungs and caused his asthma.

http://www.four-pillars.ca/2009/03/1...tion-veterans/
Ahh thank you, dh was not discharge w/ a disability. Although don't get me started on his hearing loss.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#69 of 79 Old 06-12-2009, 03:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post
That's awesome! What a relief! It's funny how the universe takes care of things like this sometimes
I thought the same thing, except the phrase that came to mind was "The Lord provides!" but I didn't want to get all religious on you guys
#70 of 79 Old 06-12-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by talula fairie View Post
i forgot to mention this, i have good news!

Firstly, it looks like my husband can apply his military time to his seniority with his state job...which would remove him from the layoff list : He served 4 years in the navy, so that will give him over 5.5 years seniority total.

Also, apparently obama is giving all veterans $250. That's money we can use to buy birth supplies!!!!!!!
woo hoo!!!

Jayme-
Boy13, Boy12, Boy10, Girl7, Girl5, Twin Boys 6/14/09
#71 of 79 Old 06-12-2009, 05:44 PM

Sarah - Ouch on the foot hole! I would have cleaned it like you & bandaged it up well, too! I wear shoes (unlike cavemen), so my feet aren't as calloused and tough as other people's But dishes should definitely be off-limits

Lindsay - Good news, sweetie! I know that the chance of a lay-off was weighing on your heart. And yay for that extra $250! Although not-so-yay on your hubby's asthma. Veterans are too-often ignored & under-appreciated.

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#72 of 79 Old 06-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Banned

Thank you Yeah, the layoff thing was really difficult to deal with, especially with it going back and forth all the time. One day he'd be laid off for sure, another day they wouldn't know, another day probably not laid off. Ugh. We just got yet another notice today with him on the list, but it also included forms to challenge your seniority score and apply things like military time, which my husband already did the other day as soon as he found out you could!

His asthma does suck, poor guy. He wakes up a lot and can't breathe, has to take his inhaler with him at all times, just recently had to start on a steroid inhaler and a few rounds of pregnisone. His saving grace is he has an enormous lung capacity, which I guess helps.
#73 of 79 Old 06-12-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
This is why I love talking to you guys. If I could just get hubby on here to read this. . .

Quote:
I thought the same thing, except the phrase that came to mind was "The Lord provides!" but I didn't want to get all religious on you guys
That's Awesome that he can keep his job, plus you get extra money. God is good. (not trying to get all religious on anyone either!)

Quote:
Thank you Yeah, the layoff thing was really difficult to deal with, especially with it going back and forth all the time. One day he'd be laid off for sure, another day they wouldn't know, another day probably not laid off. Ugh. We just got yet another notice today with him on the list, but it also included forms to challenge your seniority score and apply things like military time, which my husband already did the other day as soon as he found out you could!
We were going through something similar for a while. DH got accepted into grad school in Alaska, while we were living in Colorado. We both work for the same company and my boss knew we would be living (and that I would be working remotely) when I was hired, but DH didn't mention anything to the owner (his boss) until he knew all the details. So when he finally sat down to tell the owner, we didn't know if we were both going to have full time jobs still, or if he was going to fire us both on the spot (the company has been doing LOTS of layoffs), or something in between. Not to mention the move from Denver to Fairbanks is a cost of living increase of 9%!

In the end DH lost his job and I got cut back to part time (bye-bye benefits). The upside is that Alaska's state health care covers midwives no problem, the downside is that we aren't guaranteed to get it.

The funny side is that as I was typing this my boss sent me a message saying that she's on the phone with my caseworker right now! How funny! Prayers/crossed fingers/good vibes/anything and everything would be appreciated! If we don't get on the state program we'll have to pay cash on a sliding scale, which we should be able to do but it will be TIGHT! Yikes!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#74 of 79 Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 PM

Yay Lindsay! I am so happy for you. That must be such a relief. I know I am getting to the point where I just need things to be consistant, slow, and easy, so I am glad that things won't be crazy for you.

I am just really tired today. This whole pregnancy is really catching up with me and I am trying to learn how to take it easy. I had four newborn shoots in the last week or so, and two of those were twins. Each session is 2-3 hours, and it is so much crouching down and getting up again. I love it, it is just not as easy as it should be. I think I left the one today after an hour and a half. But I got good photos, so I am still happy. Here are the pics if anyone wants to see more cuddley newborns (the twins ones from today are labeled).

I know a couple of you are having twins and I am a little jealous, although the family I photographed today have a little boy who is almost 1 year old and they have 10 old twins. Three babies under 1, can you imagine? I just want to take a nap thinking about it.

Baby shower tomorrow! It is more like a little bbq with some friends, but still fun. I will post the pics and tell you all about it later. Have good weekend!
#75 of 79 Old 06-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Banned

I don't know that things are ever slow consistent or easy in my life Not usually anyway. But at least now we're pretty sure my husband will keep his job, what a relief.

Ugh I feel like ass on a cracker today. I wish I could keep down my iron pills (or afford to buy Floradix) becuase I know it would help a lot. I'm sooooooooo tired and a little bit queasy too. I slept a good 10 hours and then took another nap this morning and I'm still exhausted and almost dizzy, like how you feel when you're really hungover. Blah.
#76 of 79 Old 06-13-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Ugh I feel like ass on a cracker today.
I'm sorry you feel like crap But that statement of yours made me giggle Hugs to you, sweetie!

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#77 of 79 Old 06-13-2009, 05:11 PM
Banned

I just realized it was a semi swear word Ooops.

I think it's just that my iron is low. Dizziness and fatigue are common with that. I called my midwife and she had a few suggestions, so I'll try those. In my second pregnancy, I once was so concerned when I felt like this that I went into Kaiser, it didn't even occur to the doctor that I might be anemic. He said my blood sugar was on the low side on my GTT and to eat more often. Now I realize my iron was probably low. It was right at the exact same point I'm at now. Meh.
#78 of 79 Old 06-13-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I just realized it was a semi swear word Ooops.

I think it's just that my iron is low. Dizziness and fatigue are common with that. I called my midwife and she had a few suggestions, so I'll try those. In my second pregnancy, I once was so concerned when I felt like this that I went into Kaiser, it didn't even occur to the doctor that I might be anemic. He said my blood sugar was on the low side on my GTT and to eat more often. Now I realize my iron was probably low. It was right at the exact same point I'm at now. Meh.
You can take other things for iron that are more effective than iron pills and cheap. Alfalfa tablets, chlorophyll can help w/ fatigue and icreased red blood cell production, blue green algae for fatigue, nettles, yellow dock, black strap molasses. You can find much of this at walmart or drug store in the supplement section.

#79 of 79 Old 06-13-2009, 05:48 PM
Banned

Yes I know. Those are some of the suggestions she made (and most of it was stuff I knew about anyway, although for some reason I forgot about yellow dock). However, I have $35 to my name, and that has to last until the 30th. So I can't exactly afford to go out and buy supplements right now, even cheap ones. I do have blackstrap molasses and nettle (which is high in iron) already. I also have blue green algae, but it makes me vomit. Being an HG patient makes it REALLY HARD to get all the nutrients you need. Last I tried nettle made me vomit too.

And btw, my wal mart does not carry yellow dock, blue green algae, blackstrap molasses, alfalfa, or chlorophyll. They only carry standard, synthetic based supplements like all other drug stores. You really have to go to a health food or vitamin store to get most of that stuff.

My mw also suggested I take a capfull of vinegar before meals with some water to help me absorb nutrients. Apparently Zofran can make your stomach juices not effective according to her? Though honestly, it's hard to imagine there not being enough acid in my stomach considering how bad my reflux is...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page