The Weekly Whine June 29- July 5th - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-29-2009, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok... some of us are happy, some of us are cranky, and some of us change states by the minute! Sounds like the third trimester to me.

Random thoughts...

Can you see you ankle bones?
Forget ankle bones, can you see your feet without cheating?

Do you take out small children with your belly when you turn quickly? (the infamous "belly blind spot" that seems to align with my 2yo's head)

Have you used your belly as a temporary shelf or place to put something?

How often are you shuffling the bathroom reading material, given the never ending pit stops?

Whatever your thoughts... the end is in sight. Just a few more weeks and we'll be welcoming our first babes, and a few weeks after that we'll be getting daily babe arrival notes! Hang in there everyone.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2009, 08:16 PM

So... what are everyone's 4th of July plans (those of us who are American, anyway)? We're planning on a long weekend at the beach where my in-laws live.... the city there has an awesome parade in the am and fireworks on the beach at night. We went last year and it was a blast!
The heat this past week has just been brutal- and my puffy fingers and toes are definitely showing the effects of the heat. We had a thunderstorm earlier today, and my digists aren't puffy for the first time in over a week. :-)
I have been having horrible allergies for the past few days (told everyone I'm allergic to the heat...) and finally broke down today and took some meds today. I feel so much better, but really don't want to continue taking the meds, but I'm scared of creating a sinus infection if I don't get everything moving.
On the good news front: I got a new diaper bag and ordered some A & A swaddling blankets.... can't wait to use them. Now all I need is for my wonderful DH to find the boxes of 0-3 month baby clothes so I can wash them and put them away.
Hope everyone is doing ok!
~maddymama
Old 06-29-2009, 08:42 PM

I can't see my ankle bones... and the swelling isn't going down at night like it used to. Oh well! I have less than six more weeks of this issue!

We don't have any July 4th plans except to try to get some things done. I had zero energy this weekend and didn't do anything around the house. The good news is my vacuum and van will both be back from their respective repair shops by the weekend, yay!

That's it for now. I'm too tired to put more thoughts together, lol!

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:49 PM
Banned

The weekly whine!!!! LOLOLOL!!!!

Well, the state may issue IOUs instead of a paycheck to my husband

I read on one blog that is illegal as ruled by a federal court in 1997...and the state controller doesn't list the department my husband works in on the IOU list...but the newspaper articles are really vague. WHAT IF WE DON'T GET PAID!?!?!?

Why, why WHY did I wait so long to buy birth supplies?!?!? Oh yeah, I remember why. BECAUSE THE STATE CUT MY HUSBAND'S PAY THREE TIMES!

We'll get by, we always do. I am just so ready to get off the crazy California budget train.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:53 PM
Banned

Can you see you ankle bones?
Yes

Forget ankle bones, can you see your feet without cheating?
Um, no. All I see if I am standing up and look down is my belly

Do you take out small children with your belly when you turn quickly? (the infamous "belly blind spot" that seems to align with my 2yo's head)
All the time! I have also accidentally pushed a child who was snuggling with me off the couch with my belly!

Have you used your belly as a temporary shelf or place to put something?
I'm carrying too low for that. Such a bummer. I really wanted a shelf this time too!

How often are you shuffling the bathroom reading material, given the never ending pit stops?
At least every two weeks.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
The weekly whine!!!! LOLOLOL!!!!

Well, the state may issue IOUs instead of a paycheck to my husband
Oh, TF... I truly hope not.... or maybe you can ask the state to send nice letters to all of the people you have to pay $$ explaining why you can't pay them....
Good luck, and I hope he gets paid!
~maddymama
Old 06-29-2009, 10:01 PM

Yes, I can see my ankle bones - I've been lying down/sitting for 4 days straight! Bedrest certainly minimizes swelling And my belly looks like it's about 24 weeks instead of 33, so I'm not knocking anyone over with it. But it is digging into my ribs making it difficult to sit upright without lounging back.

After my mild freak out with the preterm labour scare, I'm doing quite well. I go back on Wednesday for a cervix check - hopefully I haven't progressed

Because my health status has changed, my parents are coming down from Montreal on Thursday instead of next week. They will be here through the middle of August to help out with the kids. This will be their first time with us for July 4th in he U.S.!!!!

It's been nice reading all the updates so far. I'm sorry that you're possibly going through more financial difficulties, Lindsay.

Sunshyn - Yay for a functioning vacuum!!!

Maddy - I also have to pull out my 0-3 month stuff! At least I can have my parents wash them for me

Wombat - you didn't answer your own questions!!! How are you?

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
Old 06-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Banned

Well I *think* he will get his paycheck...but we shall see. I wish I knew for sure!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 PM

Well, it shouldn't be a question as to whether he "gets" his check or not. He's employed by the state and they have agreed to pay him X amount, and you should be able to "expect" the check and not have to wonder or stress about it. I know that CA is in tough financial times, but it doesn't make the possibility of getting a rain check any less worrisome.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post
Well, it shouldn't be a question as to whether he "gets" his check or not. He's employed by the state and they have agreed to pay him X amount, and you should be able to "expect" the check and not have to wonder or stress about it. I know that CA is in tough financial times, but it doesn't make the possibility of getting a rain check any less worrisome.
I know! The irony is the reason he took this job is that it was supposedly more secure. And he was supposed to get regular raises. What a joke that turned out to be!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm... still have ankles, need to bend over to see my feet though. I often bop dd2 in the head with my belly (though I was able to keep her dry during a sudden rain shower by standing with my belly over her head!), it works well for holding my nightly mug of ice cream (though babe seems to be annoyed when I basically freeze his bottom while also poking him with sugar), and I shuffle off to the bathroom with every contraction. So 10-15 times a day at least! Actually, I usually need to pee after each hypnobabies session so I'm going 2-3 times at night as well as during the day.

I'm...feeling very big. And my pregnancy double chin is in place. Sigh. My photoshoot is this weekend and I've told the photographer I don't care what I look like as long as she can get rid of the chin! But the weather has been unseasonably cool, the swelling isn't bad, and although I sway like a drunken sailor on shore leave if I'm not paying attention overall I'm getting off easy so far.

The real stress right now (other than trying to pay for the addition and, well, DO the addition) is with my providers and hospital. It's not the crunchiest hospital by a long shot, but this practice is the only one that has a decent vbac success rate, is willing to let me vbac despite my birth history, and that takes my insurance. But the more I gossip with the nurses there the more I'm getting worried. They have so many routine interventions that I'm going to be turning down... and if I have a repeat c/s and need to rely on the good will of the nursing staff for a few days this could get really dicey. Plus they refuse to feed their c/s mamas (well, 12 hours IV only, then clear fluids only for a day, then soft foods) so if I did have a repeat I'd be forced to smuggle in food! But hey also refuse to let a babe stay with a c/s mama if she doesn't have an able bodied adult in the room with her so I'd have to rely on friends bringing food while DH stayed to "keep" the babe.

I just don't want to think about it, but I also don't want to get blindsided. I wish I had a crystal ball... this practice is my vbac option and with that comes the really rotten potential c/s scenario. Our local mama loving hospital though is amazing and supportive and comfortable... but I'd have to schedule a c/s. So I'm sticking with my vbac plan, but I know I'll kick myself if it doesn't work out and I "could have had" a supported c/s near home instead of a rotten c/s further away.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 06-29-2009, 11:26 PM

I spent 4 hours at the CLNH today. I had to do a gestational diabetes test(again) today, which came back abnormal... so on the 7th I have to go in for a 3 hour test. That really blows because I only have one vein that they don't have trouble getting blood from and it's kindof superficial, it could blow at any time and I think 4 pokes at it will do it in. They made me do another HIV test even though I did one in February, because of new NC state laws.

Ryan(baby) and the fundal height of my uterus are measuring at 36 weeks instead of almost 34 so I have to go another ultrasound to see what's up.

I have a double ear infection and they gave me Sudafed to treat it.... yay.

In two weeks, I've lost another 4 pounds, which sounds fine to me except that he's measuring so big and that brings me to only having a pregnancy weight gain of 5lbs.... I am heavy to begin with so to me it doesn't seem like it would be a problem, but my midwife is not convinced.

I have to go for an anesthesiology consult to make sure they can put me under if I need a c-section, because I'm heavy.

Daddy is still deployed and I don't want to vent to him so I have to do it here.

**Jessica:Mommy to Laynie Claire 10/22/2007 and Ryan Wesson 8/14/2009: Loving my Marine Colt**
Old 06-30-2009, 12:06 AM

Before I delivered, I knocked over my four year old daily with my belly LOL
She kind of thought it was funny to run into me though and bounce off, so it wasn't all me

Jayme-
Boy13, Boy12, Boy10, Girl7, Girl5, Twin Boys 6/14/09
Old 06-30-2009, 05:47 AM

Thank you for starting this thread, wombatclay! I'm sorry to hear of everyone's challenges, but it gives a feeling of some solidarity.

My biggest physical challenges at the moment? A nasty bout of hemorrhoids and two weeks of the worst restless legs syndrome I've had in years.

I have never had a hemorrhoid that basically needed its own zip code before! Two days of intensive home treatment have taken the 'roid from being a safety hazard to just a sizable nuisance, but sheesh!

And the RLS is really my biggest problem (and the reason I'm posting here at 2:30am). Aside from last night, I haven't slept for more than 5 hours a day in two weeks. I'm kind of a zombie, but I'm trying to just appreciate the extra "free time" at night instead of panicking or getting bitter.

In desperate need of sleep and relief, I'm going to the acupuncturist tomorrow (later today) for help.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

Old 06-30-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmack45 View Post
They made me do another HIV test even though I did one in February, because of new NC state laws.

Daddy is still deployed and I don't want to vent to him so I have to do it here.
Is the HIV test a military law? I haven't had to do another one (yet). We shall see...

Vent away here, mama, I have such respect for you military moms who are alone while pregnant and/or raising kids while your husbands are deployed. Hang in there.

Sky - oh, you need to get some sleep! I hope the acupuncturist can help you out with that!

Wombat - that sucks about you c-section woes. My hospital makes me have a liquid diet for a day (jello, broth, tea, etc), and then we are right on to regular foods. I have never minded because I don't feel like eating and I could drink all of my calories anyways! And they don't leave the IV in, and they allow me to keep the baby in my room even if dh isn't there overnight (I just call them if I need help). The post pardum nurses are great at my hospital AND it's the closest one to my house I really really hope you don't have to have another c-section, hun!!!!!!

Old 06-30-2009, 09:21 AM

Weekly Whine.. I love it!

Still able to see my ankles here but give the type of heat we are having who knows how long that will last.

Lindsey ugh I am so sorry you are dealing with all of that

Wombat : that you don't have a c section!

Sky I hear ya mama! I got my first one ever this week and was shocked. I had been under the impression that they're only caused by constipation... boy was I wrong. He is sitting low and the pressure seems to be the culprit. s

We had our baby shower over the weekend (pictures here: CLICK) I'm glad its over though because now I can figure out what else we need and get to ordering it. So far we need to finish getting the last of the birth kit supplies and order the rest of the diaper stash.

I've been slacking off on my hypnobabies sessions for the last two weeks. I really need to jump back on them!

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Old 06-30-2009, 01:48 PM

wombat: I hope you get your vbac!

talula: I hope your DH gets paid, how maddening to think he might not.

genomics: Well, it's good the swelling is down but are you going crazy from the bedrest? Is it modified or complete rest? Will they let you back up at 37 weeks?

maddymama: I have been taking Claritin for allergies too. It's that or complete misery.

jlmack: Ugh, I had to do the 3 hour last PG. I hope you pass and the blood draws aren't too bad.

Coconut: Your shower pics made me hungry! : You look great!

Sky & Lav: RLS? That stinks. I have had this weird "electric" zinging in my legs at night that drives me crazy. Does it feel like that? I don't get it all the time but if I did I would go NUTS.

As for me, my dad was in and it was so nice to have him here entertaining DD and hanging out. We miss him.

I thought my allergies were acting up but it turns out I have (another) bad sinus infection. So I'm pretty miserable right now.
This week is supposed to be hot so we are debating getting a portable A/C.

Oh, and DD has only nursed 1xday for the last week! Hard to believe my crazy boo-boo baby has even tapered off!

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
Old 06-30-2009, 02:01 PM

I totally took out my son last night will my belly! I felt so bad, and yet it was hilarious

I am not doing so great. Dh and I are just in one big fight-like we really don't like who the other person is and we can't say two words to each other without fighting. I know I am moody, but can't he just suck it up since it is the end of my pregnancy? I am so stressed out and lonely and sad over it. Any advice?

I am so tired, and my body is just completely covered in hives. I am so itchy, and no one is telling me anything that will help. I am so tired.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:28 PM

The weekly whine! I love it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

I often bop dd2 in the head with my belly (though I was able to keep her dry during a sudden rain shower by standing with my belly over her head!)

I can see my ankle bones but I do have to move my belly out of the way first.

And I haven't taken out any small children with my belly, but I have turned and bonked it into my dh, friends, doors that I am opening, and really anything that might be near me!

I have used my belly as a shelf/to help stabilize things, books, food, a pot of water I was carrying to the stove.

And I don't really keep reading material in the bathroom. I just pickup something on the way. So I guess that means the reading material in the bathroom gets rotated with every visit!

I survived (and even enjoyed!) all three of the baby showers that were given for us. DH got a pass on the last one because we had friends visiting us from Switzerland. Though, after the fact, he seemed bummed that he wasn't there. We will be working on our thank you notes tonight, so he will get to see all the gifts, which he is looking forward to. (I've seen him peeking in the bags when ever he walks by them) After the thank you notes are finished, we'll get everything organized. I think all we still need are cloth diapers! I know a lot of people (grandparents, aunts, family, neighbors, etc.) have told us that they used cloth diapers (because they didn't really have a choice), yet we received very few, even though this made up the bulk of our registry. I think it is a generation thing. Maybe a combination of not being comfortable ordering online and the HUGE selection available now! We did did get some awesome organic prefolds and some really nice Bummies (that I didn't even register for because of the price).

We had an awesome visit with our friends last week. Even introduced them to some geocaching! This week is back to work for dh and appointments for me, while a bunch of our friends are at the beach. (sigh) We have so much to do and dh is saving up his remaining vacation, but the beach does sound nice Instead, I spent an afternoon with hubby and Swiss friends wallowing in the creek and we'll be at the lake at my in-laws house on the 4th. So I can't really complain!

I actually slept through the night last night! Which probably means I was dehydrated.

I think I've been having allergies too. Though they seem better today. But the bloody nose continues. Not bad, but definitely a couple of times a day.

Wombat: sending good vbac vibes your way!

Sky: Hope you get sleep soon!!!
Old 06-30-2009, 05:40 PM

Wombat: I hope that your VBAC goes smoothly!

Sky: Ugh RLS sounds awful! I sure hope you can get some sleep. Only one sleepless night makes me grumpy a whole run of them would make me a nightmare!

Coconut- Your pictures made me HUNGRY!!! I also have to say I love your dress it is so cute and a great color.

I still have ankles and can still see my feet. My belly in fact still seems to be sitting behind my boobs. So if I am liable to knock anything over it's from clumsiness or boob knockage.

I was in a wedding this past weekend and flew up for that. Overall it was so much fun! I felt good and besides getting car sick and swollen for a few days it went well. Though looking at the few picures I have to laugh because in the bridesmaids pictures thanks to us having different cut dresses I don't stand out as the pregnant one.

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
Old 06-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Banned

I have good news! My husband did get paid and I ordered my birth pool!!!! :::
Old 06-30-2009, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I have good news! My husband did get paid and I ordered my birth pool!!!! :::
Fabulous news!!!!!!!!!!

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
Fabulous news!!!!!!!!!!
Yes!!!

I read that the federal courts really did rule that state workers cannot be paid with IOUs, thank heaven.

I also went to Target today and bought all the supplies I need for the birth pretty much. I feel a lot better now! ALL I need now is some more cloth diapers, a boppy, cloth pads, and some nursing bras. And even then, I *could* get by without a boppy and with the stuff I already have. Well, maybe I would need the bras. I am down to ONE and it doesn't even fit. But if I were to go into labor in a few weeks, I would be fine. Whew! *wipes forehead*
Old 07-01-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Yes!!!

I read that the federal courts really did rule that state workers cannot be paid with IOUs, thank heaven.

I also went to Target today and bought all the supplies I need for the birth pretty much. I feel a lot better now! ALL I need now is some more cloth diapers, a boppy, cloth pads, and some nursing bras. And even then, I *could* get by without a boppy and with the stuff I already have. Well, maybe I would need the bras. I am down to ONE and it doesn't even fit. But if I were to go into labor in a few weeks, I would be fine. Whew! *wipes forehead*
I love gathering stuff I need. It is such a feeling of excitement. I am so happy for you. Bras yeah you can wait if need be. I have two nursing tanks from Eiley and two bras I bought. I hope they hold out until I have the baby size wise. I have expanded so much this pregnancy, LOL. About the boppy, I have had one, but almost bought one from the baby resale shop. I always use a pillow. I am currently obcessing about which purse/baby bag to buy. I have some money in paypal.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all... I'm committed to this vbac (it will be my second!) but I am trying to keep in mind that while last time I had a fantastic pro-birth team in a supportive hospital, this time round I have a "meh" team in a "meh" hospital. So I want my vbac but I know my odds aren't spectacular.

Talula- : I'm so glad you've got that worry off your chest! I was planning on going to Target today to check out their discount racks, but on the way I stopped at Old Navy (right next to each other in our mall) and learned that this store is phasing out their maternity section as of July 1st! So everything was marked down a couple times and then had a 50% off on top of that! The selection was pretty thin, but I scored TEN items for a grand total of under 20 dollars. Which is better than I'd have done at the thrift shop and much better than Target. So I'm a happy camper and should be able to make it through the next few weeks with my whole, entire, including the bottom, belly covered.

Restless Leg Syndrom stinks. I had it really badly with dd1's pregnancy, not at all with dd2, and it's just starting up again. Ugh. And you know the one medication they make for it isn't approved for use in pregnancy, even though the largest population of RLS victims is, yup, pregnant women? Poop! It drives me up the wall to finally get comfy and then have my legs just take over the show. The hypnobabies helps, but not enough...

Hang in there all!

Old 07-01-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Thanks all... I'm committed to this vbac (it will be my second!) but I am trying to keep in mind that while last time I had a fantastic pro-birth team in a supportive hospital, this time round I have a "meh" team in a "meh" hospital. So I want my vbac but I know my odds aren't spectacular.

Talula- : I'm so glad you've got that worry off your chest! I was planning on going to Target today to check out their discount racks, but on the way I stopped at Old Navy (right next to each other in our mall) and learned that this store is phasing out their maternity section as of July 1st! So everything was marked down a couple times and then had a 50% off on top of that! The selection was pretty thin, but I scored TEN items for a grand total of under 20 dollars. Which is better than I'd have done at the thrift shop and much better than Target. So I'm a happy camper and should be able to make it through the next few weeks with my whole, entire, including the bottom, belly covered.

Restless Leg Syndrom stinks. I had it really badly with dd1's pregnancy, not at all with dd2, and it's just starting up again. Ugh. And you know the one medication they make for it isn't approved for use in pregnancy, even though the largest population of RLS victims is, yup, pregnant women? Poop! It drives me up the wall to finally get comfy and then have my legs just take over the show. The hypnobabies helps, but not enough...

Hang in there all!
New clothes at end of pregnancy can be so helpful getting through the last few weeks, lucky you!

A symptom of RLS can be low iron, adding iron and cal/mag supplement can help.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

I've been in the cal/mag/zinc camp for a while now... it's the only thing that prevents the calf cramps! My iron levels are good too (our water is extremely mineral rich, which is icky to drink, but means I'll never be anemic). But I'm sure those two things together have been a large part of why the RLS held off so long this time.

I'm not sure though why it seems to have skipped my last pregnancy. If I could figure out the secret I bet I'd make a fortune!

I'm wondering if the weather this time round is part of the problem... it's been very cool recently but it's heating up and I'm getting a bit puffier. So perhaps the extra fluid is pushing on something or throwing off the balance of something else.

Old 07-01-2009, 12:51 AM

I can still see my ankle bones I wonder how much longer that will last though.

I too am having issues with RLS. That's prob my biggest pregnancy related complaint right now. My legs just ache and feel tired all day now. I plan on starting calc mag supplements as soon as I can get to the store.

Mission "clean the garage" accomplished! Now I have to do windows inside and out plus remove the screens and scrub them. That's the next big thing and then a deep house cleaning. I still don't have the fishy pool as I've been holding out to see if I can find it at a brick and mortar store. I just hate to pay 2x the price for shipping: I used to see them all the dang time before i got pregnant, grrrr!
Old 07-01-2009, 12:20 PM

Spring Sun, I'm so sorry.

: Yea, Talula!

Nice score on the clothes Wombat! I wonder if our Old Navy is also phasing out their maternity stuff. They never had much to begin with, but it might be worth a try. Even though I'm small (and measuring about 3cm smaller than average for where I was at 33 weeks- 35 now) My belly still is poking out from under my maternity clothes. Probably the next size larger would fix the problem. I remember when even the smalls seemed impossibly large!

Everyone take care of yourselves! I'm off to feed the farm animals and then meet with a pediatrician. If I hurry, I might even have time for a shower. I hate smelling like a goat when meeting someone for the first time. :LOL
Old 07-01-2009, 12:40 PM

I don't know where wombatclay lives.... but the oOld Navy closest to us that carries maternity clothes (an hour and a half away in Austin, TX) is done with their maternity section as of today. Their selection in their store on Saturday was pathetic. I'd call the individual store before heading over.
~maddymama

User Tag List