What's everyone doing for birth control after the baby? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#61 of 77 Old 07-08-2009, 08:48 PM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 8,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
You do not have to wait 24 hours after a c/s to breastfeed. General anesthesia leaves your system really quickly.

http://kellymom.com/health/illness/mom-surgery.html
I'm aware. i wasn't talking about after a c-section I was talking about if I got it done separately.

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#62 of 77 Old 07-08-2009, 09:46 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburbian Sacramento
Posts: 4,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by magstphil View Post
I'm aware. i wasn't talking about after a c-section I was talking about if I got it done separately.
Well those links covered surgery in general, not just c/s. I'm sorry if you already knew about it, I just thought you might like to read the information on there.

You do not have to pump and dump for 24 hours after surgery, in most cases, tubal included. It's pretty rare that a woman gets prescribed a medication that is truly not compatible with breastfeeding. They often tell you to pump and dump, but it's more of a CYA issue. I nursed within hours of getting all four wisdom teeth pulled under general anesthesia.
Talula Fairie is offline  
#63 of 77 Old 07-08-2009, 10:14 PM
 
Mamabeakley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: In the labyrinth
Posts: 2,080
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Honestly, imo, if you really REALLY don't want to get pregnant, you're going to have to use something beyond charting or FAM. I know a lot of people won't agree with me, it's just my personal experience/opinion.
It's not that I don't agree with you, it's just that I think different people have different relationships to their fertility . . . I know what I mean by that, but I have a hard time explaining it.

Using NFP/FAM, whatever you want to call it, and withdrawal, DH and I have had three planned pregnancies (more or less - we weren't trying for DS2 but we weren't NOT trying, either), and no unplanned pregnancies in 13 years of relationship. My body is VERY PREDICTABLE. We are very good at communicating about our intentions and my cycles. We are also comfortable with the level of risk involved (we did use condoms for a while in college, when we knew we would NOT really be okay with an accidental pregnancy or terminating one if it happened.)

OTOH, I know lots of people for whom what you say is absolutely true. Including one of my brothers & his partner. And lots of people for whom other "reliable" methods of birth control have failed, too.

Does this mean my DH & I are "better" because we can somehow do it "right" when others don't/can't. No, of course not! It means that a number of factors have come together which mean that for us, NFP works, just like for others, a number of factors come together which mean condoms or the pill or an IUD work for them. And I'd say it goes to show that it is POSSIBLE for NFP to work. But that people should be careful with it and okay with the level of risk.

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos


 
  

Mamabeakley is offline  
#64 of 77 Old 07-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburbian Sacramento
Posts: 4,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabeakley View Post
It's not that I don't agree with you, it's just that I think different people have different relationships to their fertility . . . I know what I mean by that, but I have a hard time explaining it.

Using NFP/FAM, whatever you want to call it, and withdrawal, DH and I have had three planned pregnancies (more or less - we weren't trying for DS2 but we weren't NOT trying, either), and no unplanned pregnancies in 13 years of relationship. My body is VERY PREDICTABLE. We are very good at communicating about our intentions and my cycles. We are also comfortable with the level of risk involved (we did use condoms for a while in college, when we knew we would NOT really be okay with an accidental pregnancy or terminating one if it happened.)

OTOH, I know lots of people for whom what you say is absolutely true. Including one of my brothers & his partner. And lots of people for whom other "reliable" methods of birth control have failed, too.

Does this mean my DH & I are "better" because we can somehow do it "right" when others don't/can't. No, of course not! It means that a number of factors have come together which mean that for us, NFP works, just like for others, a number of factors come together which mean condoms or the pill or an IUD work for them. And I'd say it goes to show that it is POSSIBLE for NFP to work. But that people should be careful with it and okay with the level of risk.
Oh, I totally agree with you. It's definitely a YMMV thing. I definitely don't think NFP never ever works, it clearly does for some people.

My predictable body got me pregnant! We were TTC for about a year (had one pregnancy but it was a blighted ovum). I always ovulated on CD 14-15, every time, of a 27-28 day cycle. So, when we stopped TTC, I called my OB for the pill. I wasn't charting, becuase we weren't TTC and I was going through a lot at the time with my health so I wasn't really thinking about it.

I got the pill prescribed to me on the Tuesday after my period, and you're supposed to start it on Sunday after your period. I knew if I farked it up I would have my days screwed up and I'm forgetful enough to need everything to be just right. Anyway, so I figured we could use NFP for a month until I could start the pill. We had sex on day 8 and day 16, avoiding sex entirely for 8 days during my fertile period. Should work fine for someone who ovulates on day 14-15, right? Well, the baby I am 34 weeks pregnant with might suggest otherwise
Talula Fairie is offline  
#65 of 77 Old 07-08-2009, 11:29 PM
 
Mamatoabunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,848
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NFP worked every time we chose to use it. This time my fertility returned sooner. My luteal phase was short. In November I assumed it would take a few more months to even out before I could maintain a pregnancy. I had luteal issues w/ 4th-8th. We knew I was ovulating and chose to be together, more than once, LOL. I will now have a 12 month spacing. I was pretty pissed about it at first, in all honesty, but now thankful we do not use BC, otherwise the possibility would have not been present and we would not be having this blessing.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Mamatoabunch is offline  
#66 of 77 Old 07-08-2009, 11:37 PM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 8,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
From what I have seen in my personal life NFP works about as well as conventional birth control if not better. But I am a person who got preggers on the pill and then on hormonal BC and using a condom I also know folks who got pregnant with an IUD, also on the pill, the shot, etc etc.

What it comes down to is birth control is tricky and touchy period. Even a tubal and V can have slip ups. Sure we can tout numbers but really when it is happening to you those numbers mean jack crap (speaking from expereince)

Oddly what always worked the best for us was just early withdrawl. Isn't that suppose to be like the LEAST effective?

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
#67 of 77 Old 07-09-2009, 12:40 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburbian Sacramento
Posts: 4,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Early withdrawl is surprisingly effective IF the man is able to withdrawl every time. I believe typical use is about 80% and perfect use is like 98% The main issue is he may not withdrawl in time and well if you're ovulating....then you get pregnant. I got pregnant that way once.
Talula Fairie is offline  
#68 of 77 Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 PM
 
dorenavant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: royal oak, mi
Posts: 57
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm attempting a VBAC, but if I end up with a repeat C then I'm thinking of tubal ligation along with the C. If (fingers crossed!) I get to deliver vaginally, then I've been talking to DH about getting a V. We definitely don't want any more children, and I feel like if I had to be pregnant twice and have at least one c/s, he can be the one who has the permanent birth control surgery- it's only fair, right?
dorenavant is offline  
#69 of 77 Old 07-09-2009, 02:34 PM
 
Cali2SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 351
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the clarification Lisaloo! I'm sure we will find something that works for us. I'm not really going to worry about it yet. Judging by how tired and sore I am now, I think we will have some time after this LO gets here to figure it out. Besides, we this is our first and we are open to having more. It would just be nice if we could space them out a bit for the sake of my body recovering and some measure of sanity in our lives.
Cali2SC is offline  
#70 of 77 Old 07-09-2009, 03:37 PM
 
Care Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Asheville NC
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
NFP worked great for me for years. However, this time FAM failed me, and I am not willing to play roulette again. Let me reitterate that I got pregnant when my co-sleeping, constantly nursing son was 10 weeks old. He did not use a pacifier and I never got my period back. With my previous pregnancies my period didn't start again for at least 9 months, so I assumed I was still in the clear. Just putting it out there that it does happen, even to those who have used it very succesfully for a long time.
Care Lee is offline  
#71 of 77 Old 07-10-2009, 01:02 PM
 
wombatclay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: running the red queen's race
Posts: 14,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh, since a couple people have asked... if I have a rc/s then I'll go with a standard tubal. But if I have my second vbac the procedure offered by the OB I'm seeing is called Essure. It can be done in office without medication (though he does it in the hospital next door and uses medication for light sedation/relaxation). The no-med version doesn't require any pump/dump while the light sedation option requires one pump/dump over the course of a few hours. It's not an operation as such but has the same sort of 99%+ BC results as the standard tubal.

I know two women who have gotten pregnant while using the IUD, and one woman who was planning on using ecological breastfeeding/LAM who was pregnant at her 6 week post-partum checkup! And this babe is joining our family despite NFP and a condom. Like pp have said, even the 99%+ methods still leave that fraction of a percentage and many of the stats listed for different methods are for "perfect use", which is hard to come by! DH and I have always been most comfortable when using multiple methods, so sterilization for both of us is the plan, followed with some hormonal bc for me if my cycles remain totally dysfunctional (though I have hopes that between the normalizing boost of babe 3, the support of acupuncture and traditional chinese medicine, and some other body work that wont be necessary)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

wombatclay is offline  
#72 of 77 Old 07-10-2009, 06:51 PM
 
holyhelianthus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: the Southern California desert
Posts: 8,823
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Oh, since a couple people have asked... if I have a rc/s then I'll go with a standard tubal. But if I have my second vbac the procedure offered by the OB I'm seeing is called Essure. It can be done in office without medication (though he does it in the hospital next door and uses medication for light sedation/relaxation). The no-med version doesn't require any pump/dump while the light sedation option requires one pump/dump over the course of a few hours. It's not an operation as such but has the same sort of 99%+ BC results as the standard tubal.
Thank you for this information!

Maggie, blissfully married mama of 5 little ladies on my own little path. homeschool.gif gd.gifRainbow.gif
holyhelianthus is offline  
#73 of 77 Old 07-10-2009, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
 
ombrooklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care Lee View Post
NFP worked great for me for years. However, this time FAM failed me, and I am not willing to play roulette again. Let me reitterate that I got pregnant when my co-sleeping, constantly nursing son was 10 weeks old. He did not use a pacifier and I never got my period back. With my previous pregnancies my period didn't start again for at least 9 months, so I assumed I was still in the clear. Just putting it out there that it does happen, even to those who have used it very succesfully for a long time.
Yeah, this is why I'm afraid of nfp. This is exactly why i feel I can't swing it. I work with new mama's and have heard this story a few too many times!

Mom to K and R

ombrooklyn is offline  
#74 of 77 Old 07-10-2009, 07:26 PM
 
Turquesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,035
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Yikes! I've heard that NFP, despite its effectiveness, is tricky during the post-partum period. It's looking like my only option though. Some "mild" prolapse makes sponges and diaphragms difficult to keep in place, and I'm not hip on the hormones. I'm ethically opposed to the Paraguard IUD and have heard loads of nightmares about it and the Mirena. I know that there is a self-study curriculum for post-partum NFP. I wonder how effective it is if I follow it to the letter....Fortunately, my libido will probably be about nil at 10 weeks postpartum.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Turquesa is offline  
#75 of 77 Old 07-10-2009, 07:48 PM
 
wombatclay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: running the red queen's race
Posts: 14,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I know that there is a self-study curriculum for post-partum NFP. I wonder how effective it is if I follow it to the letter
See if you can find a copy of Taking Charge of Your Fertility and Your Fertility Signals. And maybe a copy of the Infertility Cure (which obviously isn't a NFP type book but does have LOTS of information about balancing and normalizing your cycle).

The thing is... a lot depends on your body. Just following the NFP guidelines 100% perfectly wont matter if your body doesn't cycle "normally"... and the immediate post partum period is one of those times when "normal" sort of goes out the window. Following the NFP guidelines "perfectly" for example may require you to have a certain amount of uninterupted sleep each night (which may or may not happen with the new babe), or have a cycle that normalizes quickly after the hormonal flux of pregnancy/birth/breastfeeding (which isn't something you can directly control though the Infertility book has some great ideas).

You can also purchase an ovulation microscope to track ovulation... basically you check your saliva each morning and the pattern made by the saliva indicates if you are fertile. This might be the best method for the difficult postpartum/new baby period.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

wombatclay is offline  
#76 of 77 Old 07-10-2009, 08:52 PM
 
chi_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ombrooklyn View Post
Yeah, this is why I'm afraid of nfp. This is exactly why i feel I can't swing it. I work with new mama's and have heard this story a few too many times!
not to minimize caralee's situation in anyway.... but, every method of birth control has failure, even with perfect usage. Where I work I hear birth control failure stories all the time. I even have a patient that became pg with twins 3 years after her husband's vasectomy (yes, they're definately his).

I guess what I'm saying is that if getting pg is out of the question you may want to consider using more than one method.
chi_mama is offline  
#77 of 77 Old 07-10-2009, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter
 
ombrooklyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chi_mama View Post
not to minimize caralee's situation in anyway.... but, every method of birth control has failure, even with perfect usage. Where I work I hear birth control failure stories all the time. I even have a patient that became pg with twins 3 years after her husband's vasectomy (yes, they're definately his).

I guess what I'm saying is that if getting pg is out of the question you may want to consider using more than one method.
Oh, i know nothing is fool proof! I think it's just a matter of finding what works for you, your body and your family. Like I said, I think I'm going with the copper IUD b/c it makes the most sense for me (as of right now, but I haven't tried it yet!). I have heard of failure with every single method..IUD, pill, vasectomy, NFP and so on.
I just started this thread to see what others were doing b/c I wasn't so sure myself.

Mom to K and R

ombrooklyn is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Drag and Drop File Upload
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off