What's everyone doing for birth control after the baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 07:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a very personal question i know. I'm just now thinking about what I will do for birth control after my little guy gets here. Personally, I know I would not want another child for at least a couple years. As appealing as natural family planning is to me, I don't think I can swing it. I'm thinking of going with an IUD.
What are you guys gonna do?

Mom to K and R

#2 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 07:33 PM

Even though the thought of another pregnancy is repulsive to me right now, I was thinking of leaving it up to nature. I'm not getting any younger, and this babe took over a year of "living dangerously."

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#3 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 07:34 PM

Well, we did FAM for 4 years. Toward the end we were careless, hence this pregnancy. I actually had an appointment to have a mirena IUD placed the week I got a bfp! Because I had already planned on getting an IUD and have done the research, I'm going to go ahead and get one at the 6 week PP visit. I want something long term that won't interfere with bfing and that I don't have to think about. DH and I had originally planned on only having one child but we aren't ready to do anything permanent - especially because I think I'm changing my mind and might want another I just don't want to be surprised, and the IUD has a better effectiveness rating than just about everything else.
#4 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 07:36 PM

As this will be our last, DH went in for the big V in March. He still has yet to have his count checked though, so who knows? But I'm not taking anything anymore after this baby is here. I've gotten preggo on 2 types of pills, and the shot, and had bad side effects from the shot in the past, so here's to hoping that the V actually worked!

Crystal- aka "Momma" toLara Karlene 1-1-05 ~ Keira Skyler 1-31-07 ~ Rohnin Viper 8-12-09 & stork-suprise.gif March 2014!!!!

intactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#5 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 07:42 PM

I'm a NFP gal all the way. I love that I don't have to worry about side effects. It's as effective as you want it to be, and I even think it's great for our marriage.

It's a little tricky in the post partum period, but I trust that if I just keep a close eye on my mucous patterns, we should be alright while bf'ing.

And if we "accidently" get preg again...well - I don't believe in "accidents"! So it will be ok.

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#6 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 07:45 PM

Currently pregnant w/ my IUD baby (2 yrs w/ IUD this baby was a true 'surprise'). SO got the snip 3 months ago and goes to get tested to make sure he is shooting blanks shortly.
#7 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 07:47 PM

We will use NFP to prevent for several months, if my cycle returns quickly again, like last time so my body can rest for a bit. I need to lose the rest of the weight I planned on losing when I became pregnant w/ this baby. Otherwise we are open to life and will pray each month if we are led to prevent that month.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#8 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 07:52 PM

Im going with an IUD as well!

Married to my best friend, and favorite person in the world... Proud 1st time mama to our son, Conway James. Born July 29th!::::
#9 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 07:59 PM

We also use NFP and love it! I also agree with Michigan Mama and Mamatoabunch! No side effects, it has brought us closer to each other as well as God, and believe that their are no accidents.

Lisa, Traditional Roman Catholic, :::: wife to Brandon, mama to Taylor 17, Tristen 13, Trinity 9, Tyme 6, Wesley Thomas 4, Teresa 3, Gabriella 2, Isabella 1., and Marisela 2/2010.
#10 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 08:33 PM

NFP and pull out method here- HOWEVER, Dh is getting his V after this baby is born. So during that year of waiting for it to kick in we will go with more NFP.

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#11 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 PM

I doubt we'll do anything to prevent another pregnancy. I don't ovulate easily and both of my girls are clomid babies. If my cycles return when the baby is still exclusively BF, we'll likely do a very lax version of FAM, but that's about all I expect us to consider right now.

Of course, once we meet our little one, maybe I'll change my mind. If we're having too much trouble meeting the physical, emotional, and medical needs of everyone in the family, we might feel like we need to prevent more actively for awhile. However, I'm not sure what if any medical birth control I'd feel comfortable using. I can't imagine we'd consider a vasectomy or anything permanent any time soon. We're really expecting/planning to have more. As a mom who rarely ovulates, serious carefully followed FAM really tends to stress me out.... So, we'll cross that bridge if necessary, but hopefully not at all.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#12 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 08:41 PM

Although I think this is our last baby, somehow I'm resisting the idea of DH getting the "big V". He's willing - there's just something about its permanence that I'm not ready for yet. That said, I don't want to do the pill again and condoms didn't work for us as they became a source of argument which sucked - particularly in the uh "moment" .

So, I think I'm going with the Mirena IUD...

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#13 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 08:45 PM

We are doing natural family planning although DH wants to just do it and if preg happens it happens I'm not so keen on another child spaced 19 months apart since that what our last 2 were soooo NFP

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#14 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 08:46 PM

anyone considering the mini-pill? The thought of an IUD kind of scares me (and my younger sister had terrible side effects from Mirena: bleeding and acne forever). We did NFP (cycle beads) and did mostly pretty well -- still, I wouldn't chance it until my cycle was back to something really predictable. I've had 3 surprise pregnancies, including this one (probably because my cycle wasn't spot on after a previous mc). We make babies VERY easily and are not religious people; we've had enough surprises to last a lifetime.

mama to magical 6 yr old and a full moon Aug baby:
#15 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 08:50 PM

We haven't decided yet. With my first two, my period didn't return until 11 and 19 months, respectively (I was tandem nursing the second time, which I think contributed to the much longer amenorrhea). I'll be tandeming again this time around, so I feel like we have a little time to decide.
#16 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 08:50 PM

DH got a vasectomy 2 months ago. The sperm count check will be right around this babies due date.

During my last pregnancy (especially after the early losses that I experienced between DD1 and DD2) I would never have considered taking such a permanent measure before the baby got here. But, I once again have been very very ill during this pregnancy though, and honestly I do not think that I could make it through another pregnancy without severe ill effects to my physical and mental health. I am still so sick I wish that pregnancy was just a little easier on me.

So we decided that this is it, and I actually feel very at peace with the decision. Never thought I would feel done, but I really do now.

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
#17 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 09:03 PM

We were using a combo of NFP and condoms prior to getting preggo with this one and will go back to using them after the babe is born. Fortunately, I have pretty regular cycles so that works well for us. I've never been on the Pill because it hasn't ever sat well with the women in my family. My mom got preggo with my older sister while on the pill and my sister got preggo with her two oldest whilst on the Pill. Not very encouraging! Older sis finally wound up getting her tubes tied when she had her c-section with her son. Also, I just don't like the idea of screwing with my body chemistry.

DH really wants to get snipped, especially after the bout I had with Hyperemesis earlier in the pregnancy. He doesn't want to see me sick again. I begged him to wait because I want to have another baby (we're capping at 2) and am willing to suffer through HG one more time. We don't have to make that decision now. It doesn't help that our insurance will cover snipping and he knows we won't have to pay much for it!

Mommy to Nora Cecelia, born 8/15/09.
#18 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 09:09 PM

I really dislike birth control-the hormones mess with me too much. We'll use pull out. It has ALWAYS worked for us. And dh likes to have a lot of sex...so, I am hoping that in two years we can get preggo as easily as the first two times.
#19 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We'll also use NFP if my cycle comes back before 12 months pp. We used this method for the year before we got pregnant with no issues, then we concieved the first month that we tried. My period started at 12 months pp with ds, so I expect we'll just "let things happen" after that.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#20 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 10:18 PM

This is our first so I have no clue how long it will take to get PPAF. We had to go the IVF route to conceive this little one, so I am not too overly concerned with birth control. I only have one tube and it is blocked, so I am going to see if they will test it after the fact (because I know they say that pregnancy can change things) to make sure it is still blocked just so I know and am not driving myself batty thinking every little symptom is pregnancy.

K 30 married to J 40 Love being a SAHM to our IVF miracles: Jackson 08/09, Emily and Miles 09/11 Missing our lost babies 04/08, 08/10. Currently planted on a soft surface bfinfant.gifall day long.

#21 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 10:22 PM

We're doing a combo of NFP, pull out and very occasionally condoms.... it's worked fine since we got married (4 years ago).

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#22 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post
We're doing a combo of NFP, pull out and very occasionally condoms.... it's worked fine since we got married (4 years ago).
:
(except I think the occasional condom is like once a year for us.)
#23 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
:
For us it's usually on the rare occasion when I am sick and have had to take meds (just in case they mess up my cycle etc)

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#24 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 10:42 PM

IDK, I might very well go with an IUD of some sort (mirena maybe?), but probably will just do condoms/pulling out, tbh at least for the first few months till my period comes back (came back ~9 or so months with DS), then we'll see. DH talks about getting a vasectomy, but IDK, we'll see. I'm not totally convinced that I don't want any more kiddos but DH is (of course, then again, he didn't want a second, and we all know how well that worked out for him - it only took me a couple months of planning )... I'm pretty sure he told somebody recently something like 'really, i've learned how this works! I swear!' which just made me and everyone else laugh, like 'oh, you didn't know how this worked before??'

ETA: Oh and I know none of the pills would work for me... I'm just absolutely awful about taking pills of any sort on a consistant basis... (I remember to take my prenatals, oh, maybe 4 days a week?). And I have zero desire to go back on the shot (what I was on in college - it worked OK, but I stayed up around 150-160#s and after going off it dropped down to 130-135 within just a few months...)...
#25 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 11:02 PM

ignore this. accident.

Married to my best friend, and favorite person in the world... Proud 1st time mama to our son, Conway James. Born July 29th!::::
#26 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
:

yeah, to date, patrick and I have never once used a condom. 2 years. not one. hahaha, So I doubt that'll start anytime soon. Knowing how adamantly he insists we will not be having any more children, I know he'll want some sort of insurance (even though I want one more!!!) until I can talk him into another baby somewhere in the future... So until then, IUD!

#27 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 11:19 PM

This thought has never crossed my mind! We had been tying to get pregnant for 5 and a half years. Wow, I guess it is something that we will need to discuss and figure out. I haven't thought about birth control in soooo long.

Interested in green living and money saving ideas? GreenThriftyMama.blogspot.com
Mama to my little dude
#28 of 77 Old 07-06-2009, 11:25 PM

DH is getting a V.
I am looking forward to it!

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#29 of 77 Old 07-07-2009, 12:36 AM

copper iud, hoping it doesn't cause too much bleeding. i'm scared of artificial hormones and we don't use rubbers...pull 'n pray always worked for me, i've only ever gotten pg on purpose. knock wood, 'cause this is so my last baby.

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#30 of 77 Old 07-07-2009, 12:52 AM
Banned

Paraguard IUD. It's what I went with after #2 was born before we removed it to TTC (which we gave up on becuase of my health and then I promptly got pregnant anyway).

We're discussing The Big V, might do that in the future.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page