Older sibling gifts - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone planning on giving their older child(ren) a big sibling gift? I am totally at a loss as to what to buy for my 4-year old.

He is absolutely obsessed with his baby sister and is convinced she is watching him through my belly button. We have a paper chain link-thing (almost like an advent calendar) hanging on his door to count down how many days are left until he can meet her. A gift to him from her would be the ultimate surprise.

Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Leah...wife to Colin, mommy to Liam 3/19/05 and Molly 8/18/09 :
#2 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 02:13 PM

We will be giving both our girls their first Waldorf Doll. I'm actually looking at kits today since it will be the first ones I've ever made. I figure that way they can have their very own special baby to take care of and it will also give me something to do to pass the time until baby arrives!

Crystal- aka "Momma" toLara Karlene 1-1-05 ~ Keira Skyler 1-31-07 ~ Rohnin Viper 8-12-09 & stork-suprise.gif March 2014!!!!

intactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#3 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 02:24 PM

I want to do something special for my 2.5 yo ds, but I'm at a loss...

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#4 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 03:51 PM

I have never given my older children gifts from the baby but baby dolls and stuffed animals come to mind,or a big brother/sister shirt

we have recently taken all of the kids to build a bear workshop and let them make a stuffy for themselves because after the baby is born we were going to bring all the kids back to BAB and have them all pick out a bear to make for new baby and each put a heart in it for the new baby kinda opposite of what you were thinking but an idea

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#5 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 04:22 PM

i was going to put together a little box of stuff for each of my boys from the baby. some playdough, pens, books with CD's, ball, snacks, comics, etc stuff to keep them amused while i'm nursing the baby too.

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
#6 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 04:24 PM

IDK, I've been thinking about getting DS a babydoll to give him when DS2 arrives, but haven't quite decided yet... Something simple-ish (like the old cabbage patch dolls maybe?? Any recommendations??)
#7 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 04:42 PM

I was thinking of doing a "nursing box" with a bunch of stuff that my 2-yr old could entertain himself with while I was nursing the baby. Easy puzzles, fun books, etc...
#8 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 06:27 PM

We will do this. A fun or favorite item. Not sure what.

For DS1 it was a big brother book and a toy he really wanted....

Not sure on this go around, but something.

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#9 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 07:31 PM

DD1 was 26 months when dd2 arrived and she didn't really enjoy baby dolls at that point. Her "big sister/nursing basket" included:

--the complete Season One of the Muppet Show (I figured I'd be watching it too )
--a Melissa & Doug folding doll house and a little doll family
--a few playsilks
--coloring books and crayons

This time round, dd1 is 4 years old and dd2 is going to be 26 months (but dd2 loves baby dolls). Both girls have baby dolls they enjoy and both are excited about the new babe so the "big sister/nursing baskets" will have:

--the complete Season Three of the Muppets (we got season two during he past two years)
--a few Sesame Street DVDs (not sure which ones yet)
--baby sized cloth dipes and mini-slings for their babies

I'm thinking I might make them both "I'm the big sister" shirts but I don't know...

ETA- I really like the Waldorf dolls but DD1 and DD2 are totally uninterested. They both have lovingly hand crafted waldorf style baby dolls that they will play with/care for every now and then but they adore and love to death two plastic headed off the shelf baby dolls from Target. (they nurse them sling them, carry them all over, sleep with them, etc) So my only advice on the subject of dolls is to involve your little one as much as possible in the selection process. The "surprise" aspect of the gift wears off a heck of a lot faster than the time involved in crafting the doll.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#10 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 08:05 PM

I think we will do the build-a-bear and maybe let him make one for the baby, too. Is that expensive? I have never done it bc I figured it was like $60 or something...

My sister made him a shirt with puffy paint that says big brother on the front and Elijah on the back. He is very proud of it.

I think we'll take him out to get some "busy" toys right before the baby gets here-you know things he can build, take apart, build again, so that he can entertain himself better when the baby comes.

best of all: we are getting him Grandma. Yes, Grandma is better than Santa. Grandma lets him drink pop and eat candy and chips and buiys him a new toy everyday. So, nothing we could do could out-cool grandma. Thank goodness she is coming a week before my due date. Hope it is soon enough!
#11 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

I really like the Waldorf dolls but DD1 and DD2 are totally uninterested. They both have lovingly hand crafted waldorf style baby dolls that they will play with/care for every now and then but they adore and love to death two plastic headed off the shelf baby dolls from Target. (they nurse them sling them, carry them all over, sleep with them, etc) [/I]
Ditto here. I myself went to Waldorf and had a gorgeous Waldorf doll that I took very good care of. When I passed it along to DD, who was 2 at the time, she had absolutely no interest. We are very anti-plastic in our house but baby dolls are the one exception. DD loves babies, even at 5 yrs old, and carries them everywhere...but they have to be the plastic look-real types, not the Waldorf dolls...very sad.

For DD we're tie dying and then painting her a big sister shirt with her handprint and the baby's. We're also getting her some arts/crafts type stuff, and those clear marker sets for the car so she can color without staining the seats with regular markers or poking her eyes out with colored pencils or leaving crayons to melt all over, lol.
We're also getting her a new plastic doll which she can choose after the baby is born.

Mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09)
#12 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
s

ETA- I really like the Waldorf dolls but DD1 and DD2 are totally uninterested. They both have lovingly hand crafted waldorf style baby dolls that they will play with/care for every now and then but they adore and love to death two plastic headed off the shelf baby dolls from Target. (they nurse them sling them, carry them all over, sleep with them, etc) So my only advice on the subject of dolls is to involve your little one as much as possible in the selection process. The "surprise" aspect of the gift wears off a heck of a lot faster than the time involved in crafting the doll.
Fortunetly both of my DD's like both the plastic headed and the handmade type of dolls. They both have a few of each, and play with them both non stop, but I actually had a better idea today....They are always wanting to play with my pillowcase doll that sits on my bed from when I was a little girl, so DH suggested that I get them their first pillowcase doll instead, so now I'm looking into that. They would probably like that even more since they know that its hands off on mama's doll, and they will then have something close to it of their own. So off to look for that now!

I also like the idea of putting together a nursing basket...I think I may do that too. I had never thought of something like that before.

Crystal- aka "Momma" toLara Karlene 1-1-05 ~ Keira Skyler 1-31-07 ~ Rohnin Viper 8-12-09 & stork-suprise.gif March 2014!!!!

intactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#13 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 09:10 PM

My girls are older 3 and 5.....They are getting into games. So, I got the older one the game with the checkers you drop in the board and try to get a pattern (at a loss for the name) and the younger one that elefun game where it blows butterflies in the air and she can catch them with a net...Hopefully, they(I) can do these things while nursing. I also got them books and an activity book that I can do with them while nursing. I am thinkiing of also putting together little books for each of them about their babyhoods with pictures and stories to read to them to help them feel special and special about being a baby ....and....again, things I can do while nursing!!! Oh, and maybe the big sister shirts, I will probably let them help design them somehow and they can wear them on the big day....
#14 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 09:29 PM

We are going to get digital cameras for each of the oldest two kids, they're 7 and 4. They both LOVE to take pictures and I know they'll love to take them of the new baby.

I want to get something for Rowan, who's just a little over 2, but I'm not sure what. He has a few dolls and isn't too into them. I think he is still a little young for an actual Waldorf doll too, though he does have a Waldorf style baby.

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#15 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Sun View Post
I think we will do the build-a-bear and maybe let him make one for the baby, too. Is that expensive? I have never done it bc I figured it was like $60 or something...

My sister made him a shirt with puffy paint that says big brother on the front and Elijah on the back. He is very proud of it.

I think we'll take him out to get some "busy" toys right before the baby gets here-you know things he can build, take apart, build again, so that he can entertain himself better when the baby comes.

best of all: we are getting him Grandma. Yes, Grandma is better than Santa. Grandma lets him drink pop and eat candy and chips and buiys him a new toy everyday. So, nothing we could do could out-cool grandma. Thank goodness she is coming a week before my due date. Hope it is soon enough!
the actual stuffed animals are only 10-24 dollars, its the outfits that you buy that can get expensive
, since grandma is coming have her take him LOL and make one for him and the baby

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#16 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

I love all these ideas!

I actually designed a big brother shirt for DS (I'm a huge digital scrapbooker just getting into hybrid projects) and uploaded it and ordered it on CafePress...here's the design:

Big Brother shirt

It's scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I can't wait! I also designed one for the new baby.

Keep the great ideas comin'! Also, if you have pics of your big bro/big sis shirt, I'd love to see them!

Leah...wife to Colin, mommy to Liam 3/19/05 and Molly 8/18/09 :
#17 of 30 Old 07-08-2009, 11:25 PM

OK, I totally hadn't thought of build-a-bear... that might be really fun for him!!
#18 of 30 Old 07-09-2009, 01:35 PM

I second the digital camera idea, I've been looking into one of the "kid tough" ones for my 3.5 y/0 DD.
I did already buy her one toy from her perpetual wish list that will be from the baby, and a sticker book that I hope might keep her occupied for a few hours during my labor. She also has a "big sister" shirt that she can wear on the big day.
#19 of 30 Old 07-09-2009, 02:18 PM

We wanted to find gifts that would provide DS the opportunity to be even more involved with us adults, and decided the kitchen was a great theme! So we recently picked up a Learning Tower... along with a custom "Sugar Smock" from Sweet Marmalade that is in the making and a Camden Rose Rainbow Broom that is on the way.

Sami; Dedicated to Joey, 6yrs as Wife... already 10 as Sweetheart heartbeat.gif
"attached" SAHM for our spunky Leo boys twins.gif Loki & Joseph (2 & 5)

2ndtri.gif We've got a new addition - our first babygirl - arriving mid to late February! Life is good.

#20 of 30 Old 07-09-2009, 02:38 PM

I think "the baby" is going to get my soon-to-be-2-year-old some Lego-type blocks. We actually already have them, they've just never been opened. She mentioned Legos last week, and next month may be the right time to bust them out and keep her busy.

Mom to : July 2007 and : August 2009!
#21 of 30 Old 07-16-2009, 02:48 PM

My DS is 5 (well on the 21st he will be.) He's really not into dolls even though we've introduced many over time. We were thinking a special stuffed animal might be a better fit. Going to "build a bear" might be a good idea for this...

Wondering what other ideas you guys have for much older boy sibs?

Thanks!

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#22 of 30 Old 07-16-2009, 06:24 PM

So we had a quick change of plans as the girls have developed a new and all consuming passion... Cirque du Soleil!

Instead of the third season of the Muppet Show we're going to get two CdS dvds (probably Alegria and Varekai) as well as Fire Within (the tv series that covered the making of Varekai since dd1 is totally obsessed with "how they practice" and has watched the 20 minutes making of Dralion on our netflix copy back to back for 1-2 HOURS at a time). This seems like a more or less perfect gift to occupy the girls while I'm breastfeeding or resting with the babe.

So it'll be the CdS dvds, the cloth dipes and slings I made for their baby dolls, and a few pieces of dried fruit and jerkey (both "treat" items).

I'd like to make them bracelets (dd1 is all about unicorns right now, and dd2 is gung ho ballet) but I think their breastfeeding basket/gift from baby basket is pretty nice right now so if I can't find beads I wont be too upset.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#23 of 30 Old 07-17-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:

LOL... I have purchased two stunningly beautiful waldorf dolls for my daughter, both from Joy's Waldorf Dolls, each worth well over a hundred bucks. Jane likes them ok, but they are never her first pick to play with when she wants to play with a doll... she usually goes for the MIC cheapo plastic fisher price one that some relative gave her for Christmas.

Kids!!!
#24 of 30 Old 07-17-2009, 01:10 PM

When my second son was born, the morning after he presented his big brother with the Melissa and Doug sushi set.

This time, the new edition will be presenting his/her big brothers with capes from Winged Kids.

Since you know, big brothers ARE super heroes!

UCing loud mouth, Fierce Protector of King Aiden, King Isaiah and Empress Estella
#25 of 30 Old 07-17-2009, 02:52 PM

I posted on this thread early on that I needed ideas, and then I totally forgot about it!!!

I love the nursing basket idea, and I think my ds would also like to build-a-bear, but i have to find where there is one in Michigan. None close by, so we'd have to make a day trip of it, I think.

I was thinking about making him a waldorf style doll, but now I'm thinking how much work it would be (with all the other stuff I still need to do)...and like so many have said, it would be my luck that he likes his cheapo store bought doll better anyway. So maybe we'll go that route. How hard is it to find boy dolls?

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#26 of 30 Old 07-17-2009, 10:23 PM

My 4.5 yr old daughter is happily anticipating her gift from the baby, as well as a party for her in honor of becoming a big sister. Nothing grand, just a picnic in the park, but she's excited to join the big sibling club so many of her friends are in. For the gift(s) so far I got her some new dress up clothes that I ebayed, a set of dolls + horse, butterly window clings, & a butterfly activity kit. I may get some more... am thinking of allowing her to open one per day. And I love the build-a-bear idea!!! Thanks!
L.
#27 of 30 Old 07-19-2009, 01:41 PM

My dd (2) loves to take care of her baby dolls. She feeds, baths, puts them to bed, etc. So, I am referbishing my old doll cradle, and since we got a moses basket for her baby brother, I got her one that is for her dolls. That way, she can take care of her babies just like mommy is taking care of the baby brother.
#28 of 30 Old 07-19-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
How hard is it to find boy dolls?
Under the Nile makes a boy doll that is "toddler friendly" (I saw one yesterday... soft fabric, gentle blue color way, but I think the hat is attached to the head and the clothing doesn't come off) and I've seen a few "boy dolls" in the Groovy Girl collection at the local toy store (though this was a while ago... when we were there last week the dolls were all "girls").

There are also those fabric "anatomically correct" dolls but I don't know... some of those dolls are a bit creepy looking to me, and none of the fabric ones are exactly the sort of toy I'd expect to stand up to serious outdoor play.

ETA- though I've seen some anatomically correct infant boy dolls that are pretty spiffy. But they're not "toddler/young boy dolls" and I don't know if you're looking for a baby or a slightly older companion style doll.

#29 of 30 Old 09-02-2009, 06:00 PM

Just a quick update on what we ended up doing for our 5 year old boy...

I thought it would be really sweet to make him his own Build-A-Bear that he could hold and cuddle while I fed his sister, etc. Since the baby came 2 weeks early, we hadn't gotten this done before she arrived. Once I was home from the hospital, we told him that his baby sister wanted to get him a bear at Build-A-Bear and he said "ok" with about as much enthusiasm as if I'd said he was going to learn how to do our taxes. So, we asked him what he would like his big sister to get him instead and he said... wait for it...

Transformers and Dragons

Duh mom!!

Spoken like a true 5-year-old boy!

So the whole family made a very unusual trek to Toys R Us and he got 2 Transformers from the baby. Hey, whatever works I guess.

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#30 of 30 Old 09-03-2009, 02:37 AM

Our little girl was born 10 days ago, and we *have* gifts for the older two, but I've held off on giving them to them, because my husband was home for the first week and they spent a night at their grandparents' house, and I decided to "save" the gifts for a "rainy day," so to speak--now that my husband is back to work and the kids have to sometimes be patient while I care for their little sister.

Anyway, for my 4.5-year-old son, we ended up getting a set of Fiddlesticks--like Tinker Toys, but made of wood.

And for our 2.5-year-old daughter, we got a doll and a set of face-painting crayons.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page