Under Rib Pain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 03:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok I am just curious what is going on! I have a pain I thought was from my underwire and sitting weird, as the pain is under my underwire on my left hand side. But I have noticed the pain more now even when not wearing a bra, and the last two nights I have had terrible pain when I sleep on my left side. It has gotten so bad I had to switch sides to sleep which of course makes me worried I am going to encourage babe to switch sides too (a worry since I am not sure if he is lined up to begin with). Basically I don't feel movement up in my ribs, but could it be baby? Or have I just caused pain from wearing my under wire or should I worry about other things?

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#2 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 03:50 PM

I have this to and it's horrible! It feels like a burning sensation to me. It is especially bad when laying on my side and I have to switch several times throughout the night b/c of it. I don't think it has anything to do with underwire since I don't wear them. I always thought it was just due to the shifting happening internally. It's not something I've asked my MW about yet though.
Maybe someone here has some insight as to what it really is...

Mom to K and R

#3 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My midwives call this the "mystery spot". It seems that most women get something similar at some point. My best friend had a huge spot near her ribs that was completely numb for several months of her pregnancy. It's from all the stretching and pushing I suppose.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#4 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my best friend had something like that it turned out to be her daughter's head. she was breech. I have pain in my ribs, on my right, and I think it's just the baby growing, b/c I know he isn't breech. Could be a little foot, could be the ribs expanding to fit everything in there. I always think it's b/c I'm short, 5'3" and there is just so much my insides can go up, and ends up pushing out.
#5 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 04:14 PM

I don't know about pain on the left, unfortunately.

However, pain on the right could be gallbladder (or liver for that matter). I have struggled with pain under my right ribs this pregnancy and last, and it's from my gallbladder. Working on my diet and drinking a particular herbal tea blend has really helped...as does reducing stress.
#6 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 04:46 PM

I have EXACTLY the same thing!! And I had it with my other girls as well. I just asked my MW about it today and she said its just the baby/uterus putting pressure on a nerve that runs across your ribs (like right where an underwire would sit). At first I thought it was my bra bothing it, but now as the pregnancy progresses I'm noticing that it just hurts with or without anything touching that area. And forget sleeping on my left side. I find that sitting in a partially reclined position helps, kind of streching out your middle. It is quite annoying but thankfully we all just have a few weeks left of it!!!
#7 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 05:19 PM

wow...i thought i was the only one!!!
i had this with ds as well...ob didn't have a clue

i have had to sleep on the right side for both pg's

i roll onto my left only when the pain in my right hip gets unbearable because i know that the left under rib oval of pain is coming

at least i now know that i don't have some crazy tumor or anything...lol

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#8 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 05:48 PM

have the exact same thing! burning, tingling, painful sensation under my left ribs. i had it with my first too, an ultrasound showed her little foot jammed up in my rib...and the bad news: the sensation didn't go away after i gave birth. it stayed numb/tingly/burning for at least a year. and this time around, exact same pain but no foot - i think there's a bum there now.

living and working in DC - with Fig, two hairless kitties, dd Benedicte (10/06) and El Dos due 8/12!
#9 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post
I don't know about pain on the left, unfortunately.

However, pain on the right could be gallbladder (or liver for that matter). I have struggled with pain under my right ribs this pregnancy and last, and it's from my gallbladder. Working on my diet and drinking a particular herbal tea blend has really helped...as does reducing stress.
I had this last pregnancy with attacks. Luckily I was able to keep my gallbladder. Drs wanted to remove it even while pregnant. Dandelion is my best friend this pregnancy, and no attacks!
#10 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much guys!!!! I almost didn't post this because I thought it was just me being weird, but clearly it's one of those freaky pregnancy things no one thinks to mention. I also feel better it's not from my bra because I was beginning to worry about that. Sometimes even if you can't fix something it's nice to know you are not alone or crazy!!!

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#11 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 09:26 PM

WHOA FREAKY!!!

I HAVE THIS!!!

Except it's under my ribs, not under my underwire, right at the top of my uterus. It started with my first pregnancy, around 34?? weeks. The pain got pretty bad, and they actually did an ultrasound to make sure it wasn't an abruption or a uterine adhesion.

After birth, I had a numb spot along my back, just under my shoulder blade. Dr suspected that baby had been laying on a nerve, causing the pain during pregnancy, then damaged the nerve, causing the numbness in my back (all the nerves wrap around your rib cage to your spine, and my pain was at the same level as the numbness).

I don't remember it my second pregnancy.

But it's back this pregnancy!! Started a few weeks ago, not nearly as bad as the first time, but also earlier than the first time (I'm 30 weeks tomorrow).

In a weird way, I'm SO GLAD to hear others having this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#12 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 11:08 PM

I am so, so glad to read this thread!!! I had this during my first pregnancy and all along I thought it was a foot under my ribs, giving me a burning tingling sensation on the left side. Actually, I watched my birth video recently and in it I say "ahhh, my ribs!" after the delivery. It did go away after that. But with this pregnancy, it started in the same spot way too early for it to have been a foot, I think it was in month 5 or so, and eventually I had to give up sleeping on that side at all. Very mysterious, and kind of hard to describe, sort of tingly burning around my sternum & under the left ribs. I try to rub it, but it doesn't do anything. So I basically just have one sleep position - on the right. My MW isn't concerned about that, but I have to say that sleeping in that one position really hurts my right hip a lot. Sometimes it feels like I've been punched in the hip when I wake up. Thank you so much for starting this thread!!
L
#13 of 16 Old 07-15-2009, 11:47 PM

I don't know if this will help with the kind of pain you're experiencing, but at the chiro today she checked to see if my ribs were aligned in front. I have no idea what the adjustment would be like for that, but it might help!

I have a terrible burning sensation in my upper abdominals where my fundus is, though it has been there for many weeks now. I've also got a flat area there where I think the muscles are separating.
#14 of 16 Old 07-17-2009, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I had this last pregnancy with attacks. Luckily I was able to keep my gallbladder. Drs wanted to remove it even while pregnant. Dandelion is my best friend this pregnancy, and no attacks!
Gotta ask, how are you using the dandelion? Eating the leaf? Root? Tincture or tea? I'm currently drinking tea made from burdock root, catnip, red raspberry leaf, and chamomile, and it definitely helps. I might be interested in adding dandelion if it helps.
#15 of 16 Old 07-17-2009, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygir1 View Post
Gotta ask, how are you using the dandelion? Eating the leaf? Root? Tincture or tea? I'm currently drinking tea made from burdock root, catnip, red raspberry leaf, and chamomile, and it definitely helps. I might be interested in adding dandelion if it helps.
I take it in vinegar form actually because I find it the easiest to take for me. You can actually take it any way you can get it in you. Oh course tincture and infusion is better than plain herb encapsulated- more potent.
You can put dandelion greens in rice, soups too.
I just take the dandelion greens or root, chop them up and cover them with apple cider vinegar. I let it sit for 2-3 weeks before it is ready, and take 1-2 tablespoons a day. It doesn't have to be strained. Very safe during pregnancy.

Also if you are pregnant, I am not sure that catnip is good. I don't really know much about it, but I thought that I read that that should be avoided while pregnant. Oh but I read that chamomile should be avoided, and I drink that with no worries.

The burdock is great for the liver. So thumbs up for that.
I find that the hormone changes during pregnancy are a stress on my liver, so I have to take good care of it especially then. I avoided terrible morning sickness this time around and took loads of dandelion. Also I am drinking nettles infusion everyday, and that really nourishes every organ even the liver.
#16 of 16 Old 07-19-2009, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebirdmama1 View Post
I take it in vinegar form actually because I find it the easiest to take for me. You can actually take it any way you can get it in you. Oh course tincture and infusion is better than plain herb encapsulated- more potent.
You can put dandelion greens in rice, soups too.
I just take the dandelion greens or root, chop them up and cover them with apple cider vinegar. I let it sit for 2-3 weeks before it is ready, and take 1-2 tablespoons a day. It doesn't have to be strained. Very safe during pregnancy.

Also if you are pregnant, I am not sure that catnip is good. I don't really know much about it, but I thought that I read that that should be avoided while pregnant. Oh but I read that chamomile should be avoided, and I drink that with no worries.

The burdock is great for the liver. So thumbs up for that.
I find that the hormone changes during pregnancy are a stress on my liver, so I have to take good care of it especially then. I avoided terrible morning sickness this time around and took loads of dandelion. Also I am drinking nettles infusion everyday, and that really nourishes every organ even the liver.
Thanks. I usually drink nettle tea (and eat nettles whenever I can) too.

I've found catnip categorized as a mild herb with minimal chronic toxicity and no contraindication for pregnancy in my herbals. Both burdock and catnip are on the list of herbs to use with some caution during pregnancy.

I have been focused on liver support since my gallbladder has been giving me trouble, but I haven't used a lot of dandelion this time around. I hate vinegar tinctures, so I'll probably go with a hot infusion, myself.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page