May I see your diaper stash or list for your August newborn? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I am about done getting my diaper stash ready for this little guy.
I have one more load to dry and then I want to post a few photos. I am not sure if I have enough of everything and it is getting down to the wire to order and prep more diapers!

I got wonderful responses a few weeks ago about which diapers you use, will you now list the # of diapers you have in newborn and small sizes and show photos of your stash if you have them...?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 05:55 PM

I'll try to get a pic later but this is what we have:

7 AIO's (that I made size small 7-15 lbs)
5 PUL covers (size NB and small)
6 kissaluvs size 0
6-7 fitteds that I made (like kissaluvs)
3 fitteds that I got from hyena cart
1 dozen CPF's (infant size)
1 wool cover

That's it! We have tons of small and Med diapers, but they are from my other children.

Take care!

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#3 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 06:17 PM

How about WAYYYYYY TO MANY

I will get a count and some pictures this weekend as I am putting them away.

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#4 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 06:24 PM

Lets see

36 infant/small PF
6 XS prefolds
4 XS thirsties covers
5 sm thirsties covers
3 sm pink covers
2 kissaluvs contours
1 newborn longies cover
1 XS nemo AIO's
3 small AIO's
3 snappis
#5 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 06:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have:

12 indian prefolds
4 PUL covers
2 WAHM fitteds
5 BG AIOs

I hope that's enough...if I need more I'll hit up diaperswappers, I guess.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#6 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 06:45 PM

:

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#7 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 06:54 PM

Hmmm... we sposie at the hospital, until the cord falls off, and on the road during the newborn poop phase. Plus my babes tend to start out at 9lbs+ so a lot of the really cute itty bitty newborn dipes aren't necessary for our household. Also I'm converting our family over to GroBaby (a one size, all-in-two, system that has been working great for my 2yo these past few weeks and is going to be awesome in terms of washing/drying). So I'll be blending my new GroBaby stuff into my existing stash but as babe outgrows the non-GroBaby stuff it wont be upsized.

Anyway, on the shelf today:

4 GroBaby shells
8 GroBaby snap in soakers
8 newborn Kushies AIOs
5 small Kushies AIOs
2 bummies (newborn) covers
4 thirsties (small) covers

4 kissaluv contours
24 doublers (various brands/homemade... use instead of prefolds for trimmer/newborn fit)
24 infant prefolds (these can go in the grobaby shells too, as can the doublers)

Of this list, only the GroBaby stuff is new... everything else has been handed down by either dd1 or dd2 or both, or acquired free through FreeCycle or the local AP group. I'll have to see about getting some pictures up on flickr... nothing too amazing though. I have several spiffy WAHM dipes/dipes I made for bigger kiddos (pirates, flaming skulls, picnic blanket with embroidered ants, animal prints, etc) but the newborn/babe stuff is pretty tame.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#8 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick replies, ladies! I have spent so much time and energy on this lately, since this was a big last minute decision!! I started cloth with our 19 month old three weeks ago and love it, but it has been lots of work to buy everything for 2 in cloth over one month! YIKES!

I'll get photos and make my list today.

I don't have any AIOs for either kid, do you think that will be a problem for our newborn? We stay home a lot and I will be changing through the night for weeks. (months....) What do you think?

I really wish I could sew, I think I need to learn.
#9 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 07:35 PM

we did not have any AIOs until we hit the mediums and then only a few.
I actually don't like them cause they take so long to dry. I had one or 2 small pockets for when I wanted to put real clothes on him but other than that it was prefolds, fitteds and wool.

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#10 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama*pisces View Post
I have:

12 indian prefolds
4 PUL covers
2 WAHM fitteds
5 BG AIOs

I hope that's enough...if I need more I'll hit up diaperswappers, I guess.
Oh you are so gonna need more Mama that will only get you through .5-1 day at the very least I would do 24 prefolds and at least 8 covers and that will get you through 1-2 days...maybe

newborns especially breastfed sometimes poop 2-3 times an hour I always seem to need to change my NB every hour or more

Amanda Williams- AIO are not nessesaary I agree they take so long to dry but I do have 3 organic BF AIO ( for my 19 mo old) and they are awesome really absorbent and dry just as fast as the rest I like pf's because they always fit and are econimical but I do like to have on hand a few pockets or AIO for trips out its easier to put one of those on a wiggly baby than a pf!

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#11 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 09:15 PM

i have cut out my patterns
:
bad mommy

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#12 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 09:34 PM

I'll throw in my list:

12 infant prefolds
12 motherease one size fitteds
6 BG one size pockets (last resort dipes, as I despise them)
1 small fuzzibunz (again, I'm hoping I'll rarely need it)
1 kissaluvs small fitted (in purple, which should look smashing on my little boy!)
1 Bamboozle small fitted
3 bummis whisper wraps, size small
2 motherease airflow covers, size small
2 merino wool/recycled cashmere WAHM made covers that should fit a newborn.

I think I may pick up a couple more fitteds (maybe the motherease bamboo), and maybe a half dozen more prefolds. I'll just see how it's going once the new poop machine arrives.
#13 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 09:39 PM

Here are some pics of what I have for NB
24 prefolds
3 fuzzi fannies size small pockets
3 Imse Vimse covers
2 Gads covers
2 Bummis covers
3 BSW covers
and 2 unknown covers my fav is the green one with Hippos on it

everything is sz small since I have 9+ lb babies

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...009june090.jpg

The next pic is just a pic of the changing table, under it I have all of my 19 mo olds diaper stuff

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...009june094.jpg

and this is a pic were I am actually storing the NB diaper stuff its in the closet next to the changing table the green diaper hanger holds the covers and the shelves below ones, tees and socks n stuff

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i8...009june097.jpg

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#14 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 10:42 PM

I feel like I have a really random stash and haven't honestly counted, so I'll estimate. I'm horrible at getting pics up (ever), but here is what I think I have:

6 nb pf's
2 or 3 infant pf's - one I just made a pre-fitted.
2 homemade infant bamboo pf's
several (3?) one-size snappiable fitteds that I made (hope they fit my nb!)
2 Thirsties fab fitteds
1 Thirsties aio
1 Thirsties xs cover
1 Thirsties Duo cover (size 1)
1 or 2 homemade PUL covers
2 or 4 homemade wool covers/shorties
Hmmm... what else...I have a bunch of one-size pockets, but I expect a < 7lb baby, so who knows what will fit...
I still need to prep a couple Sugar Peas fitteds (size 1), and now I'm thinking some more pf's.

I'm totally a cheater because if I realize I need more, I can just walk to my sunroom and buy them from my inventory. Convenient! I plan to sew some more infant snappiable fitteds still. We'll see what gets done in reality.

I will have 2 in dipes, at least for a while, and I'm thinking I'll have to wash daily because my washer drum is small and I won't be able to fit 2 days worth of dipes for 2 kids, I'm sure...

I don't feel like I'm very on the ball with all this! Getting ready, I mean. There is so much sewing and other things I want to do...I'd better get a move on!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#15 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 10:53 PM

ok... here's my list:

20 infant prefolds (bleached, unbleached and colored)
5 Goodmama OS fitteds
1 Sugar Peas (small) fitted
2 Loveybums (med) fitteds
3 FuzziBunz (small) fitteds
2 Tiny Tush elite (OS) pockets
1 Baby Kangas (OS) pocket
3 Bum Genius (small) AIO's
1 Thirsties (small) AIO
1 Dream-Eze (small) AIO
1 Urban Fluff (OS) AIO
4 Thirsties (x-small) covers
1 Bummis (small) cover
2 Loveybums (med.) covers
2 Blueberry (OS) covers

couple of extra doublers, inserts, 2 snappi's, and a wet bag and a diaper pail bag.

I definitely went with the advice to try different brands not knowing which ones I would like. I might be the only one that didn't get any kissalusvs, though.

here's a pic of some of my stash

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#16 of 74 Old 07-16-2009, 11:17 PM

Roughly:

12 preemie pfs
12 infant pfs
10 newborn and small fitteds
3 bumgenius 1 size
2 small fuzzibuns
3 small bumkins aio
5-6 newborn prowraps covers
5-6 small prowraps/bummis covers

None of these are new. I would love some more fuzzibuns and some good AIO's for the diaper bag. Not a priority though. I usually wash every day and a 1/2 and make up the difference with sposies.
#17 of 74 Old 07-17-2009, 12:27 AM

:

I haven't actually bought diapers yet, but I'm not due till the end of the month, so I have some time still. My locally owned baby store has this infant economy pack:

36 infant prefold
3 newborn covers
3 small covers (Bummi Super Whisper Wrap)
3 snappi diaper fasteners
1 package Charlie's Soap
1 XL Bummi waterproof bag, 20 cloth wipes

I'm also planning on picking up:
2-3 NB hemp doublers (for nighttime)
2-3 Small hemp doublers (for nighttime)
3-5 NB covers (or however many I just can't live without - so cute!)
3-5 small covers (I think I'll get a one or two of a few different kinds to try)
3 more snappis
3 NB AIOs
3 Small AIOs

I'm thinking this will get us through the first 6 months (well, we'll probably need more soap). That will probably depend on how quickly she grows too. If she stays in NB sizes longer I may buy a few more things in that size.

I'm a rookie, so I'm going completely on recommendations from MDC mamas and the mamas who run the store.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#18 of 74 Old 07-17-2009, 04:03 AM

Ok, here goes..

nb:
24 fitteds
6 covers

small:
28 fitteds
4 prefolds
8 covers

4 ai2s
6 aios
15 pockets

linky to my stash, with descriptions. the first 2 pictures are newborn sized.

Sami; Dedicated to Joey, 6yrs as Wife... already 10 as Sweetheart heartbeat.gif
"attached" SAHM for our spunky Leo boys twins.gif Loki & Joseph (2 & 5)

2ndtri.gif We've got a new addition - our first babygirl - arriving mid to late February! Life is good.

#19 of 74 Old 07-17-2009, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't care for AIO's at all. But AOS, I love. We use mother ease all one size for my 2 yr old and she loves them. I prefer super absorbent terry liners or hemp liners. I was hoping she would be potty trained by now, but no. That means that I will be using prefolds for this new baby until dd potty trains and the baby can use the mother ease.
I have a bunch of covers, but 5 is enough I think. I have a few wool covers and those are my favorite. For non wool covers, I prefer bumkins covers.
Not sure how many prefolds I have now. I think enough to get us by. Maybe 2 dozen.
We have 2 dozen MEOS and that is way more than we use for my dd. But I never cloth diapered a newborn. I started when my daughter was older.
#20 of 74 Old 07-17-2009, 10:22 AM

AIO- I do have a bunch handed down from dd1 and/or dd2 but they're not my favorites. I'm just using them because I have them (if that makes sense) but wont miss them when this babe grows out of them.

Despite not expecting to settle on prefolds/covers I found that that was what worked for us... not too expensive, easy to use, quick to wash/dry. And the prefolds had lots of non-baby bottom uses as well so they'll be useful for years.

I really really like the one size/ all in twos though (not just gro baby ). The shell/covers fit my 2yo now but will also fit the new babe, so I don't need to get things in different sizes. And the snap out soakers wash/dry pretty quickly (not as fast as prefolds, but faster than the AIOs and pocket dipes I've used)... they're essentially really big mama-cloth pads that have been shapped to fit inside the shells. Since they snap in and out it's faster/easier than a prefold and more secure within the cover (a BIG plus in dh's eyes because he never seems to get the cover tight enough so the prefold always shifts and makes a mess).

Ok yes... convert zeal (as we say in the anthro/religious studies world)... but the all in twos seriously rock my world right now, and the one size dipes are a blessing since I'll have two in dipes again in just a few weeks.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#21 of 74 Old 07-17-2009, 10:31 AM

Oh, and totally ask in the diapering forum here (and in places like diaperpin and diaperswappers) in terms of how many and what.

Different dipes and different styles will fit different kiddos so it's not really a great idea to stock up on a complete system until you've had a chance to see what your babe is going to need. Chunky thighs, small waist, long torso, heavy wetter, etc... different dipe options will work better and you don't want to lay out a huge chunk of change and then find out that your specific babe just doesn't mesh well with the brand/style you have.

And for amounts... again, different babes are different, and different "interest groups" are going to give different numbers as well. The GroBaby people suggest at least 12 shells, Jillian's Drawers (our local supplier/mama shop) suggests 6-8 shells for the younger babes, and most reviewers have said that 2-4 shells have been plenty.

Diapers can be a lot of fun, and it's hard to wait, but they'll be available after the babe arrives too so it can save money/heartache to start small and then fill out a stash once you know what works for you/your babe.

#22 of 74 Old 07-17-2009, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

VERY nice stash, mama. I think you have the perfect amounts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samikashi View Post
Ok, here goes..

nb:
24 fitteds
6 covers

small:
28 fitteds
4 prefolds
8 covers

4 ai2s
6 aios
15 pockets

linky to my stash, with descriptions. the first 2 pictures are newborn sized.
Thanks for all the pointers, mamas. I have been thinking about this SO much! I am happy to say that I have gotten GREAT deals on used covers and have only gotten my liners ans prefolds new. (Hubby is not wanting me to buy anything that will touch baby's buns that other babies have worn...) I also scored some stuff on Craigslist. I think I have spent about $275 over the past month, but I am pretty much set for the newborn, small and medium sizes. I got all mediums for my 24 lb. girl, but she definitely needs larges in some things, but now I am set with mediums for when baby grows into them. :

Okay, here's my list:

Newborn/Small:
12 newborn prefold
6 newborn Snugglebottoms fitted
18 infant prefolds
2 newborn Prorap
1 XS Bumkin cover
1 newborn pull on cover
still need to make 2 newborn fleece soakers, working on that tomorrow
2 small Wiggle Worm Bottom covers (LOVE these)
2 small Litewraps
2 fleece soakers
1 small Prorap
1 small pull on cover
4 pairs fleece longies
snappi, pins

Medium:
12 Isme Visme one size contours
4 fitted
6 premium prefolds
1 Bummis cover
1 Thirstie cover
2 medium long Wiggle Worm Bottom covers
still need to make 2 fleece soakers
10 cotton liners
2 hemp doublers
snappi
pins

I dyed my newborn prefolds, fitteds, t-shirts and socks over the past few days and they are so stinkin' cute! Hopefully he'll be able to wear them for at least a few weeks.

I also plan to get some small doublers and maybe a WAHM AIO.

These are just the dyed things along with the fleece that I will use for soakers for the baby and my little DD. Everything I am buying is totally gender neutral so future kiddos can use it all! :

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...s/IMG_1106.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...s/IMG_1107.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b5...s/IMG_1112.jpg
#23 of 74 Old 07-17-2009, 01:03 PM

18 NB Esbaby Fitteds
16 Small ESbaby Fitteds

3 Smal Esbaby Covers

All my es baby stuff

16 hand dyed infant prefolds

various NB/small wool

Small black and white wool set

hand dyed/stenciled Palm tree T, matching prefold and wool shorts

6 Goodmamas
10 SOS Diapers
1 NB 'Born at Home' XS FB

I have various other goodies, fitteds, wool and a couple Mutt 3SR that I need to photograph, maybe I'll do that today and update later.

UCing loud mouth, Fierce Protector of King Aiden, King Isaiah and Empress Estella
#24 of 74 Old 07-17-2009, 01:04 PM

i am lucky bugger.
most of the diapers i have will fit both dd2 and newbie.

i was given an entire set of Snugglenaps diaper system (poppered prefolds and wraps about 10 wraps, and 20 prefolds) i was also given some small prefold and about 6 small/NB wraps. i also have some prefolds/wraps/tie-ons/soakers/longies left over from DD2

and althought im not really supposed to say anything, i have been picked to test some cloth diapers for a UK baby mag, and have recieved a days worth of 3 different diaper systems, a 18diaper 4wrap set of another diaper system, and am waiting on two other systems that should be arriving soon, now i dont know for 100% if i get to keep all of these diapers (most are one size fits all) but i know i get to keep the 18 diaper 4 wraps system and one of the other systems i should know for sure soon if i get to keep em all.

if i do get ot keep them all i may have between 30-50 diaper/wraps from the test plus what i already have so close to 100 nappies/wraps etc. some are pockets, some are prefold/wraps, at least 1 maybe two all in ones (depending on how many they send me)

im a lucky bugger. that many daipers between a newborn and a two year old should be managable.

Kiz
#25 of 74 Old 07-17-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Williams View Post
VERY nice stash, mama. I think you have the perfect amounts...
Thanks! I had a really fun time putting it together.

Sami; Dedicated to Joey, 6yrs as Wife... already 10 as Sweetheart heartbeat.gif
"attached" SAHM for our spunky Leo boys twins.gif Loki & Joseph (2 & 5)

2ndtri.gif We've got a new addition - our first babygirl - arriving mid to late February! Life is good.

#26 of 74 Old 07-17-2009, 03:54 PM

#27 of 74 Old 07-17-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
it's not really a great idea to stock up on a complete system until you've had a chance to see what your babe is going to need.

Diapers can be a lot of fun, and it's hard to wait, but they'll be available after the babe arrives too so it can save money/heartache to start small and then fill out a stash once you know what works for you/your babe.
Hah! Easier said than done my friend!! I thought I was going to be able to use my rational brain to pick out a few of these and a couple of those and then see what worked best after a few weeks. So far, I have completely fallen in love with every single thing I've touched and already brought home more than I anticipated and the kid isn't even full term yet!

Good thing hubby is pushing for the prefolds, otherwise we'd be completely broke by now.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#28 of 74 Old 07-17-2009, 06:48 PM

I have a big pile of fitteds, bummis, preemie prefolds, infant prefolds and various other stuff, LOL. I haven't bought anything new w/ newborn diaper in years.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#29 of 74 Old 07-17-2009, 09:02 PM

Don't have pictures yet so I'll have to add them later. We have:

9 Kissaluvs fitted 0's
24 GMD newborn/orange edge organic unbleached prefolds
5 Thirsties XS covers
24 GMD small/yellow edge organic unbleached prefolds
5 Thirsties S covers
1 Aristocrats wool cover small
3 snappies
4 pins

We're planning on ecing from the beginning so that is why our stash is a bit small and simple.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#30 of 74 Old 07-17-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post

We're planning on ecing from the beginning so that is why our stash is a bit small and simple.
Us too...what's your plan for nighttime? I'm really hoping to just put some prefolds under them and not on them...but it seems like most people do just diaper them overnight.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page