Whose carseat is installed?!? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-18-2009, 04:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post
Some kids don't reach 33lbs for a LONG time! My son is 5.5 and only weighs 38lbs. He would have been rear-facing until he was over 4! My best friend's son is 16 months and only weighs about 19lbs. I highly doubt that he'll weigh 33lbs before he's 5 (he's tiny)... I always thought that 20lbs was the right weight to turn a kid around?
Check out the family safety forums here.. they have lots of great info on rearfacing. Quite a number of the ladies there have children 3, 4 and up who are still rearfacing.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Some kids don't reach 33lbs for a LONG time! My son is 5.5 and only weighs 38lbs. He would have been rear-facing until he was over 4! My best friend's son is 16 months and only weighs about 19lbs. I highly doubt that he'll weigh 33lbs before he's 5 (he's tiny)... I always thought that 20lbs was the right weight to turn a kid around?
We keep ours rf as long as possible too, usually until 3ish and then in 5pt until almost 7. You should absolutely not turn a 20lb infant under a year around, 12 months adjusted age, if baby was a preemie, is the BARE minimum.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
20lbs is the MINIMUM weight to turn them, not the right weight. in fact the AAP now recommends a minimum of 2 years rear facing, and the UK recommends up to age 4.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

Old 07-18-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
20lbs is the MINIMUM weight to turn them, not the right weight. in fact the AAP now recommends a minimum of 2 years rear facing, and the UK recommends up to age 4.
yep... it really is so much safer to keep them rear facing. We are hoping to rear face to the limits of our seat.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Old 07-18-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
I had to install my DD2s carseat forward facing when I put it back in last week. It does rear facing until 35 pounds. She is only 23 months, but the last time she was on a scale she weighed 33 pounds. She is really tall as well and was pushing the height limits on rear facing too. I just have big kiddos, not even chubby, just large. She is already outgrowing some of her 3t clothing as well. DD1 was/is the same way. Crazy how children can all grow and be so different.

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
Old 07-18-2009, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
We keep ours rf as long as possible too, usually until 3ish and then in 5pt until almost 7. You should absolutely not turn a 20lb infant under a year around, 12 months adjusted age, if baby was a preemie, is the BARE minimum.
I did know that it's 20lbs and 12 months (12m being the min. age). It's just very hard to interact with your rear-facing child, so I can't imagine keeping a kid that was until they are 4. I jumped at the chance to turn my son around because it was so much more pleasant for him. I suppose if there are always other children in the back seat to keep your kids entertained.. Hmmm, I guess it's something to think about.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 07-18-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
I did know that it's 20lbs and 12 months (12m being the min. age). It's just very hard to interact with your rear-facing child, so I can't imagine keeping a kid that was until they are 4. I jumped at the chance to turn my son around because it was so much more pleasant for him. I suppose if there are always other children in the back seat to keep your kids entertained.. Hmmm, I guess it's something to think about.

It hasn't been an issue, I don't do anything in the car for them. If they are always rf they don't have any idea to not be rf, plus they drop less stuff rf IMO. Fact is rf is safest as long as possible so it doesn't matter to me if they hate it, but they haven't.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 07-19-2009, 08:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycandigirl View Post
I had to install my DD2s carseat forward facing when I put it back in last week. It does rear facing until 35 pounds. She is only 23 months, but the last time she was on a scale she weighed 33 pounds. She is really tall as well and was pushing the height limits on rear facing too. I just have big kiddos, not even chubby, just large. She is already outgrowing some of her 3t clothing as well. DD1 was/is the same way. Crazy how children can all grow and be so different.
Sounds just like my daughter. At 18 months, she was 30 lbs! But after weaning, she has lost a ton of weight. But she is a head taller than other kids her age. What a hard time finding clothes that are so chunky. Jeans are out of the question.

As for if my baby car seat is installed, well lets just say the base is in the car, and on a pile of junk that has collected in my car, and I put the base over the spot it needs to be hooked.:
The actual car seat is now my dd's until I have the baby. She is so enjoying it as a recliner to watch tv, etc. She remembers it and is having a hard time parting with it. She agreed that she would when the baby arrives.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
They might recommend age 4 but the norm in this country is rear facing bucket seats from birth till about 6-12 months, then FF with 5 point harness until they are about 3, then seat belts on full body boosters (not sure thats what they are called), then most kids are in seat boosters from 5 or 6. We don't seem to have such a great choice of car seats as you guys and they are mostly attched to the car by seat belts which we all seem to do ourselves, rather than by a professional.

We have moved our car seats about to check that the bucket will fit inbetween the other two seats, but buckets only take minutes to get in and out because you attach them with a seat belt.

My children tend to be quite big and outgrow the seats weight wise and strap wise quite early on.

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
Old 07-19-2009, 11:32 AM

the UK recommendation is brand new - in the last month I think. so maybe you'll be getting some better carseat options

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

Old 07-19-2009, 12:58 PM

Infant seat is back in the box after making sure it would fit our seat, and Hubby will install it at the hospital.

Sami; Dedicated to Joey, 6yrs as Wife... already 10 as Sweetheart heartbeat.gif
"attached" SAHM for our spunky Leo boys twins.gif Loki & Joseph (2 & 5)

2ndtri.gif We've got a new addition - our first babygirl - arriving mid to late February! Life is good.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
I jumped at the chance to turn my son around because it was so much more pleasant for him. I suppose if there are always other children in the back seat to keep your kids entertained.. Hmmm, I guess it's something to think about.
There's "pleasant" and SAFE. Carseat safety is one thing we do have control over (as opposed to the driving habits of others). Here's a great video to watch with facts about RF vs. FF and some graphic crash test footage (with dummies, of course) of why you should keep your child RF as long as possible:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2DVfqFhseo

Mama to two girls 12/05 and 8/09

User Tag List