7/20- 26 The Weekly Wait - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-21-2009, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Happy early B-day Choconut Chronicals, BTW I wish my linen closet looked that organized! We just lack space so we have stuff crammed in anywhere that will fit:

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2009, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankgirl136 View Post
Heidi huge we had to say goodbye to our 15 year old very sweet kitty a few months ago and it is so hard. You hear noises or see movement out of the corner of your eye and think for a second it is them. I know it's even harder for kids who don't always "get it". I am so sorry about your sweet hound dog.

I'm sorry too. I still see our cat that we had to put down almost 2 years ago out of the corner of my eye. He was such a sweetie. Our other 2 cats are getting up there in years (and our dog) and I am dreading when they all start to get ill too.

A story about that cat and our DD:
When we were putting him to sleep it was me, DH and DD (who was about 8 months old) in the room with the vet. My DD would grab at things with her hands/fists and try to touch them all the time at that age, especially the cats.

I was wearing her in the Ergo and we were petting Murray (cat) and talking to him. The doc gave the 2nd injection which stops the heart and you could see when Murray really let go. At that exact second DD smiled and laughed and started to "grab" the area right above Murray's body and further up, at something only she could see.

It was strange and cool and I have tears in my eyes writing about it now. It really made me feel like I will see that sweet cat again. Anyway, just thought I'd share, I am not a religious person but I do believe that we go on. And it was just so clear that she saw something there.

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
Old 07-21-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post
I'm sorry too. I still see our cat that we had to put down almost 2 years ago out of the corner of my eye. He was such a sweetie. Our other 2 cats are getting up there in years (and our dog) and I am dreading when they all start to get ill too.

When we were putting him to sleep it was me, DH and DD (who was about 8 months old) in the room with the vet. My DD would grab at things with her hands/fists and try to touch them all the time at that age, especially the cats.

I was wearing her in the Ergo and we were petting Murray (cat) and talking to him. The doc gave the 2nd injection which stops the heart and you could see when Murray really let go. At that exact second DD smiled and laughed and started to "grab" the area right above Murray's body and further up, at something only she could see.

It was strange and cool and I have tears in my eyes writing about it now. It really made me feel like I will see that sweet cat again. Anyway, just thought I'd share, I am not a religious person but I do believe that we go on. And it was just so clear that she saw something there.
Wow, great story, thanks for sharing!
Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:

Your story brought tears to my eyes. It is so sweet and wonderful.

I so wanted this baby to meet Nicholas, but I just have to hope that they met somewhere inbetween.

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
Old 07-22-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:

Thank you for sharing! And thank you everyone for your hugs and sympathies. Our pets are really such special parts of our lives and families- each one is irreplacable.

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
Old 07-22-2009, 05:56 AM

Coconut the photo of you and your dh on the sofa is beautiful

mamaheids sorry to hear about your dog

I have friends coming round to play today, so off to tidy the house and make soup and rolls for lunch. Hope you all have a good day.

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 AM

Im sorry to hear about your kitty =(

It's my birthday as of midnight, and my DH is CONVINCED baby is coming tomorrow. I don't buy it, but it's cute that he's THIS amped up. I don't want to be in labor on my birthday!

But between the 5 month long hip pain, now made worse by baby dropping, the swelling, and the back pain... I'm REALLY okay with it if little man decides to come tomorrow.
Our nursery is all a go, and my in laws, whom I absolutely adore are coming in town on Sunday to keep us company on the wait to parenthood. I will be glad to have some company. I've been alone alot during my maternity leave, since DH works 11 hour days...

I am so jealous of all the mamas in labor already!!! I can't believe it's already happening!!!! We're almost there mamas!!!!!!

Married to my best friend, and favorite person in the world... Proud 1st time mama to our son, Conway James. Born July 29th!::::
Old 07-22-2009, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

happy birthday!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 07-22-2009, 01:49 PM

I keep hoping for something to happen today so Jonah will be a Cancer like my husband... oh well. My back is aching, my feet are super swollen, and I could barely grasp my bra to buckle it this morning because of carpal tunnel... and I'm at work! Come on Jonah! Mama can't take this much longer!!!

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:42 PM

Coconut Chronicles - your linen closet is lovely! I need to get organized like that with my baby diapers and clothes.

I love your pic on the couch - it is amazing! What kind of camera do you have?? You have to make a large copy of that and frame it. It is just wonderful!!

Take care!

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

Old 07-22-2009, 03:28 PM

mouso- thats a great story about your kitty, children are more open to things like that because they havent been conditioned by society yet to think they are not real, totally cool

Old 07-23-2009, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

So I was miserable from about 9pm till around 3am... random contractions which weren't so bad but I also had this funky pain in my side (sort of a cross between a gas pain and a round ligament pain) that didn't go away the whole time. In fact, every so often the pain would radiate from it's "home" on my right side and cover most of my belly. Really painful! The worst was if I was having a contraction at the same time as the pain flare. And there was just no way to predict or prepare.

On the up side, I got to practice my hypnobabies! And I now have a list of "must get done today" things since I realized last night that if "this was it" there were some BIG gaps. Nothing I can do to speed up the carseat or anything, but already this morning I pre-registered with the hospital maternity unit, have a list of things for the dr visit this morning, have a shopping list for things like camera batteries, remembered I needed to put the bags in the car, etc.

So I'm totally exhausted, my side still hurts, and I'm a bit jumpy about having the babe sooner than expected.... but at least I have a list.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 07-23-2009, 01:58 PM

Today is my 29th birthday. I'm 37 weeks today too I started having lots of all day contractions yesterday, and the trend seems to be continuing today. They're pretty crampy and I've been having hot flashes with them. They don't go away if I lie on my side and drink water, but I don't think this is really "it" quite yet. I had quite a bit of prelabor with DD, and I'm rather confident that's what's going on now. She was born at 38 weeks, so I'm sort of expecting to have this one in the next week or two.

DD and I have had a much better week this week than we'd had in a awhile - even with my day of contractions and mostly lying on the couch yesterday. I hope that continues today and tomorrow. We really needed a good week together before our new little one joins the family.

I still have things left on my "need to do" list and plenty on my "good to do" list for before baby is born, but none of them feel urgent right now. If I'm up for it, I might take DD to a used book store today and look for some books for a big sister basket. I ordered her some doll diapers for that too. I'm ok with not doing a basket at all, doing a basket a few days after the baby arrives, or just doing some random gifts in the days/weeks shortly after baby arrives. Certainly she won't think they're from the baby anyway. I would like to freeze some pp pads this evening. I've been meaning to do an emergency transfer birth plan just in case, but it's not feeling urgent or necessary, just a good idea.

DD just did a crazy growth spurt. She's gained about 2lbs and about 2 inches in the last month or so. She's suddenly growing out of her 2T clothes and we had practically NOTHING in 3T, so I've done lots of clothes shopping for her in the last week. It's wild how that seems to just happen over night. We're planning to get her a new car seat in August too after this growth spurt. Not the best timing for her to get expensive, but still sort of amazing to see. She's really looking like a kid instead of a toddler lately. I'm sure holding our newborn will make that even more true.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:34 PM

Thanks for the birthday wishes ladies! It was such an awesome day... and I got the greatest present; a shiny red lawn mower I've been wanting since we bought our house 8 months ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftworedheads View Post
Coconut Chronicles - your linen closet is lovely! I need to get organized like that with my baby diapers and clothes.

I love your pic on the couch - it is amazing! What kind of camera do you have?? You have to make a large copy of that and frame it. It is just wonderful!!
Dude you don't even want to see the baby stuff explosion going on in the "nursery". I really need to get on organizing that but I have zero motivation because we're cosleeping and probably won't go up there at all.

We have a number of different cameras (all Nikons) but the one we tend to reach for most is our Nikon D40. The couch shot was taken with the D40 on a tripod with a self timer (we only have a 10 second max self timer though so it was a bit of a scramble).

My dream camera would be the Nikon D300... I had planned on getting it but then we got pregnant

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

Old 07-23-2009, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Home from my appointment... so the horrible pain is an inflamed round ligament. There isn't much anyone can do about it (they suggested getting a maternity belt, taking tylenol at night, laying with a pillow propping up that side so the ligament can "rest") until after the babe arrives. So every time I have a contraction or the babe kicks/pushes against my right side I basically double over. No fun! The arnica seems to help a bit, but I'm going to have to haul my ouchy bum to the mama store today to see if I can fnd anything else.

On the happy side of the scale, I'm GBS- so I don't have to worry about getting to the hospital a certain amount of time before having the babe. Which is good for my vbac. And I went over my birth plan with the OB (and a nurse) and he was totally on board with everything on the plan. Even on overruling the hospital requirement of cEFM. He said as long as I have the heplock and haven't accepted any medication then he is totally fine with me doing whatever I want in terms of monitoring/roaming/showering. It's only if I accept a "hospital intervention" (narcotics or whatever it may be) that they'd require cEFM. So I'm pretty happy about that.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:58 PM

I just got back from the doctor. I'm 50% effaced, but there's not much else going on. She says it's a "good" sign that I'm feeling the back pain and other pains/discomforts. It doesn't feel good to me!!! I'm ready, and I need to deliver that message to my future son. His eviction notice is coming soon :

I hope!

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut Chronicles View Post
We have a number of different cameras (all Nikons) but the one we tend to reach for most is our Nikon D40. The couch shot was taken with the D40 on a tripod with a self timer (we only have a 10 second max self timer though so it was a bit of a scramble).

My dream camera would be the Nikon D300... I had planned on getting it but then we got pregnant
We have a d50 but I never read the directions to work the self timer, I need to do that I would LOVE the D300 too! I agree the couch pic is great

Old 07-23-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiomommy1122 View Post
We have a d50 but I never read the directions to work the self timer, I need to do that I would LOVE the D300 too! I agree the couch pic is great
We have the D40, love it.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:10 PM

So there are three bdays today? Lisa, how old are you? Sage-welcome to the wonderful last year of your twenties! I will be turning 30 a couple weeks after this babe is born. Honestly it does seem like my carefree days are over. Is that bc of the addition of the second child or actually turning 30?

I have the D300 and love it! It is an incredible camera. If I do decide to do weddings next year I am going to sell it and get the d700 so I will sell it to you then Lisa at a good price!

We have spent the last two days doing montessorri tours, and I am exhuasted. I have been watching the L Word nonstop for two weeks. It is good to just lay in bed and watch something that I don't have to think too hard about. Before this dh was having me watch Dexter. NOT the best thing to watch when pregnant.

I am just tired. I think iron is helping-I am anemic. I can not wait to meet this baby! And yet our house is a total mess and nothing is ready. Help!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Dexter- It's one of DH's favorite shows and while I enjoy it too (we get it by the season through netflicks) you're right... it's not exactly soothing 'put you to sleep' bedtime viewing.

Old 07-24-2009, 01:09 PM

38+4. happy birthday to me! mw says rosie is about as low as he's going to drop, and i've been enjoying two nights of evening practice contractions. or, as ina may advocates in spiritual midwifery, "rushes" i just don't think i'm getting a baby before august, but everybody keeps running their mouths that i'm having a baby this week, so of course i wake up every morning looking for bloody show. i wish everybody would shut the f up, they're harshing on my zen, "this babe will come on his bday" vibe.

i'm a big fan of watch instantly on netflix. they have the whole first season of californication

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

Old 07-24-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbabymama View Post
38+4. happy birthday to me! mw says rosie is about as low as he's going to drop, and i've been enjoying two nights of evening practice contractions. or, as ina may advocates in spiritual midwifery, "rushes" i just don't think i'm getting a baby before august, but everybody keeps running their mouths that i'm having a baby this week, so of course i wake up every morning looking for bloody show. i wish everybody would shut the f up, they're harshing on my zen, "this babe will come on his bday" vibe.

i'm a big fan of watch instantly on netflix. they have the whole first season of californication
I have been going through netflix watch it now shows, too. I watched Californication, too. And Dexter, the L Word, Heroes, any other good ones?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:42 PM

Just called my obg-yn office to ask about a couple things. Depending on which dr it is, they always have to give me a warning on how they are against homebirth. It kinda makes me feel like they think I am an irresponsible mother for doing it this way. yuck, I hate that feeling. There is one dr, I found out, though, that supports and is friends with my midwife, so I will ONLY be talking to him for now on.

On another note, I am getting MORE photos done this week. For some reason, none of my friends have maternity shots in their portfolios, so now when people are looking around for a maternity photographer in the area, every photo they see will be of me! It is fun, though. I have NEVER had so many photos taken of me, and usually don't like it, but this is special...
Old 07-24-2009, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Sun View Post
Just called my obg-yn office to ask about a couple things. Depending on which dr it is, they always have to give me a warning on how they are against homebirth. It kinda makes me feel like they think I am an irresponsible mother for doing it this way. yuck, I hate that feeling. There is one dr, I found out, though, that supports and is friends with my midwife, so I will ONLY be talking to him for now on.

Oh Sun, I'm sorry you had a doubtful feeling about your homebirth. Don't let anyone elses fear get at you girl! Stay strong about your homebirth!

Quote:
I have been going through netflix watch it now shows, too. I watched Californication, too. And Dexter, the L Word, Heroes, any other good ones?
I watch L&O SVU too but only after the kids go to bed. Um, what have I watched recently....eDesign, Man vs. Food S1, Heroes, CSI Las Vegas, Regular CSI, CSI Miami sucks, Super Size Me, Born Into Brothels, Weeds OMG YOU MUST WATCH IT, Friday Night Lights, Jerico...

You can also check out surfthechannel.com and hulu.com for shows.

UCing loud mouth, Fierce Protector of King Aiden, King Isaiah and Empress Estella
Old 07-24-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Law & Order SVU. My 19-month old DD totally knows the theme music

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

Old 07-24-2009, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

I watched so much L&O when pregnant with dd1, and then my early labor was done while "watching" a L&O marathon. For the longest time dd1 would smile and look around when she heard the "donk donk" sound.

I'm a big fan of FireFly, FarScape, and the new BattleStar Galactica. So we actually own all of those. We don't have TV access here and our computer access isn't fast enough for anything streaming (we have to have a full download option so sadly we can't watch the free "day after" offerings on channel websites) so we're limited to dvd releases. But we've been watching Dexter, and Lost, and MythBusters, and Good Eats, and a lot of Cirque du Soleil/Muppets/Fraggle Rock/Old School Sesame Street (with the girls).

So.... we have lots of black ants in our house. Last year we tried everything and nothing worked. We can't even figure out where they're coming from. It's a small house (basically just two rooms and a small bath), the floor is a concrete slab, the foundation is visible both inside and out of the house, we put up new siding and a totally new roof this past year, etc. The ants don't seem to gather near doors or windows, and we had them even in the middle of winter when the ground was frozen and the snow was falling (so they must live "inside" somehow).

Anyway, none of the gentle/natural things worked last year, and this year we tried some store bought bait things that didn't work either. But over the last few weeks we've noticed that the big chunky black ants have radually been infiltrated by a more svelte/streamlined black ant. And that these "new" ants bite people and leave welts! They are evil, not just annoying. And it seems like there is a Once and Future King thing going on in that the svelte ants are fighting the bulky ants (and winning, since there are more of the svelte these days).

So... last night I was in bed with dd2 and I kept having ants crawling onto me or even falling onto me (the ceiling of the sleeping loft is wood planks and the ants were coming between the boards). It was icky and finally just too much to deal with (dd2 and I were getting bitten). So I turned on a flashlight and ACK!!!!!!! It was literally raining dead and dying ants, ant parts, and bits of who knows what wood/dust/insulation/pulp in the loft. The floor was covered, the bed was covered, it was a cross between a horror show and a nature channel special.

I got dh to wake up and we moved the girls and ourselves to sleeping bags downstairs but this morning the sleeping loft is still a mini battle ground horror show (though the rain is now an on and off drizzle of bug bits). Our beds, clothing, the baby's stuff, the rugs, everything needs to be vacuumed and washed and cleaned up but since I can't stop the ongoing bug bit pollution I don't know what to do! And what to do long term... I mean, this is not a good situation but how do we get rid of the bugs? And fast, since I don't want this going on when the new babe arrives.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:42 PM

Wombatclay: ::

We have the tiny sugar ants and after fighting them for a year we finally got an exterminator and it has worked wonders.
There's a hive of those biting bigger ones in our driveway and DD and a friend were playing near a stump and they were just crawling up them and biting. I didn't even know we had any biting ants here.
I can't imagine if they were in the house. Those suckers hurt! I am planning on massacring them in the next week with something poisonous.

And I love Firefly.

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
Old 07-25-2009, 03:31 AM
Banned

I did a ton of nesting today (aka directing my husband on cleaning things out, lol!). Got all my labor/baby supplies together and in one place. Washed all the cloth diapers, my linens for the birth, ect.

I feel a lot more prepared, now.

We cleaned out the linen closet and both closets in the bedroom. And under the bed! :
Old 07-25-2009, 06:16 AM

Wombat OMG, that's stuff of nightmares. No idea how to get rid of them (pet anteater? lots of small children with magnifying glasses?)

We have been watching Dr Who and True Blood (obviously when the boys are in bed).

Best get on with my day, off to the allotment while its sunny (a very wet summer here so far) to weed and set up a strawberry bed. We have grown some fantastic lettuce and corgettes, i feel quite proud, its the first year we have managed to actually produce anything tasty.

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
Old 07-25-2009, 08:02 AM

Wombat - this is honestly the year of the ant... well, it should be anyways because EVERYONE seems to have ants, even people who have never had them before. We also have the big black ones. At leas they're easy enough to spot from across the room. Ugh. We keep putting cornmeal on all the anthills outside, but we still get ants.

Anyways I have a had a couple of "I swear this is it I"m going into labor right now" days, and lots of "I'll probably be pregnant until Christmas" days in between. My liver is holding up, however, so I"m pretty OK with just letting baby keep on cooking. I'm waiting for my latest platelet count, so I'm reallly hoping they're not really really low, as it is one thing the midwives can use to deny me my homebirth.

So, yeah. That's about it. Ants, but not really antsy. Just hoping for a platelet count that's not too crappy, praying that my liver doesn't crap out, and generally doing a whole lotta nesting.

User Tag List