7/20- 26 The Weekly Wait - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#91 of 103 Old 07-25-2009, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh my goodness Wombat that sounds horrid. I hope that you get it all figured out very soon.

I've been getting more and more contractions lately. They're painful enough that I have to really stop and breathe through them, and they're lasting a good 1-2 minutes. My poor DD is struggling with it. All the sudden without warning I need things calm and still. Noise and motion seem to really trigger me during the contractions, so if she's playing on the bed next to me I suddenly need her OFF NOW, and dropping toys is excruciating. I'm sure that once I'm really in labor (and she has a focused support person) she'll handle it fine, but right now I'm feeling sorry for her. She's not misbehaving at all, just confused. At this rate, I'm not expecting to make it to next weekend pregnant. I'm working on the last few things I really want to get done before she arrives.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#92 of 103 Old 07-25-2009, 01:55 PM

When I lived in Texas, we had so many ants in our house, my baby sister (who was maybe 17 months old) would strum her guitar and write songs about "1..2...3..4...5..6..7..8(all the way to 30) ANNNNTS TRIED TO COME IN MY HOUSE" She was writing blues songs and could count all the way up to 30. I think the ANTS actually helped her learn to count! Hhahahaahha!!! Thankfully they were only sugar ants, and not the dreaded fire ants texas is notorious for.

Here's my update.
Bloody show started (or bloody mucus, who the heck knows.) yesterday and continued through the night. Wiping clean as of now ,but when I do push upward during the wipe some mucus will come out (brown). Not too concerned with it. I really don't feel like this is it. I don't know why... Everyone keeps telling me next couple days , and I really just feel perfectly calm and not rushed or panicked at all....
I am thinking baby fully engaged as Im peeing WAY more frequently, and having to poo ALOT. So I'm definitely preparing. but He is due so soon anyway, I don't think it'll be before his EDD. I just don't think so! I'm probably the only person who DOESN'T think this kid is on his way out. I still have no energy, and even though my mind can come up with a bunch of stuff left to do (there really is nothing left to do. cept pack our bag. which ive decided will be my stay calm ritual when the real thing begins. I have a play by play checklist prepared so the *thinking* aspect will be done already) I don't have the energy to do it. ANd with the back/hip pain it's just so hard to be mobile for too long (except for night walks) Apparently DH has got the nesting bug and decided to do EVERYTHING in the house yesterday. And then began cooking meals to save. Hes way too excited. hahaha

Hes a leo already like his mama, and I know myself. I always do everything last minute. I am lazy. I like there to be a HUGE fuss over me, and I want everything to center entirely around what I want. (Im actually not as bad as Im making myself sound. hahaha) And I can see he is no different. He is going to wait til his Gma and Gpa are in town (tuesday) at the very least, so he can have a large welcome wagon like he deserves!
hahahaha

Married to my best friend, and favorite person in the world... Proud 1st time mama to our son, Conway James. Born July 29th!::::
#93 of 103 Old 07-25-2009, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Soooo... as I said, our house is small, and there isn't a lot of "hidden" space. But we've found the ant colony!

The side view of the roof is shingles, then a ventilation layer, a vapor barrier, solid foam board insulation panels, and then the interior wood plank ceiling. When we replaced the roof (in between snow storms in November), the company replaced most of the wood sheathing/ventilation/foam insulation. Well, since then the ants have colonized the foam board insulation... either this is a "new home" or they were in a piece that wasn't replaced and have spread.

The only solution (and what DH is in the process of doing right now) is to rip out the wood plank ceiling, remove the foam board completely, spray the sheathing with pyrethrins, put up new insulation, and then a new ceiling. Now, there are a few challenges. First, it's a loft so it's not just the "ceiling"... it's also the walls. And it's all filled with thousands of very angry, very aggressive, ants. And we have no money to replace the insulation and/or ceiling materials. Last night DH stapled heavy plastic sheeting to the ceiling to catch the rain of bugs, and I'm sure we'll do something similar tonight (only hopefully without the bugs, or ceiling, or insulation) but that's not exactly a long term solution. And it doesn't address the issue of where we're going to sleep tonight.

My real fear is that, given Murphey's Law, I'll go into labor NOW and we'll have this half demolished loft covered in ripped out foam insulation and a still active ant colony spread out EVERYWHERE sitting there for a few days. Wouldn't that be fun?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#94 of 103 Old 07-26-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Sun View Post
I have the D300 and love it! It is an incredible camera. If I do decide to do weddings next year I am going to sell it and get the d700 so I will sell it to you then Lisa at a good price!
: : !!!!!! *coughs* the baby doesn't need to go to college... right guys? :

Wombat ugh I feel you... we are having ant issues also. They seem to be living in the walls of our master. We've been getting quotes this week to have it taken care of. I really hope we find a green pet/kid safe company.

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#95 of 103 Old 07-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned

You know, I have never gotten the hang of a digital camera. My photos were so much better when I used film. I have a perfectly good SLR -maybe not as good as a Nikon or Canon, but it's not bad either- and I just have never been 100% happy with the photos. I am seriously going to bust out my film camera again to take the newborn shots when this baby comes.

for instance

here is film
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1041/...74ded73a_o.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1008/...84279a16_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2301/...fe4ee6a4_o.jpg

some film photos taken with a really old camera (you know, the kind that are not automatic anything)
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1156/...61c65b3a06.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1010/...09ceee7b5e.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1038/...f6b84db2_o.jpg

digital

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3284/...405f485c_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3273/...af9a84c5_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3005/...5422c956_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3120/...eec9c6ea_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/...9668bcb9_o.jpg

see what I mean? The film photos have better color, better clarity, are exposed better....I guess becuase film is more forgiving when it comes to exposure but still. I just can't get the hang of digital. My film photos look great to me (yes, I know they are not technically perfect but *I* like them), my digital photos look ordinary.
#96 of 103 Old 07-26-2009, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post

So.... we have lots of black ants in our house. Last year we tried everything and nothing worked. We can't even figure out where they're coming from. It's a small house (basically just two rooms and a small bath), the floor is a concrete slab, the foundation is visible both inside and out of the house, we put up new siding and a totally new roof this past year, etc. The ants don't seem to gather near doors or windows, and we had them even in the middle of winter when the ground was frozen and the snow was falling (so they must live "inside" somehow).

Anyway, none of the gentle/natural things worked last year, and this year we tried some store bought bait things that didn't work either. But over the last few weeks we've noticed that the big chunky black ants have radually been infiltrated by a more svelte/streamlined black ant. And that these "new" ants bite people and leave welts! They are evil, not just annoying. And it seems like there is a Once and Future King thing going on in that the svelte ants are fighting the bulky ants (and winning, since there are more of the svelte these days).

So... last night I was in bed with dd2 and I kept having ants crawling onto me or even falling onto me (the ceiling of the sleeping loft is wood planks and the ants were coming between the boards). It was icky and finally just too much to deal with (dd2 and I were getting bitten). So I turned on a flashlight and ACK!!!!!!! It was literally raining dead and dying ants, ant parts, and bits of who knows what wood/dust/insulation/pulp in the loft. The floor was covered, the bed was covered, it was a cross between a horror show and a nature channel special.

I got dh to wake up and we moved the girls and ourselves to sleeping bags downstairs but this morning the sleeping loft is still a mini battle ground horror show (though the rain is now an on and off drizzle of bug bits). Our beds, clothing, the baby's stuff, the rugs, everything needs to be vacuumed and washed and cleaned up but since I can't stop the ongoing bug bit pollution I don't know what to do! And what to do long term... I mean, this is not a good situation but how do we get rid of the bugs? And fast, since I don't want this going on when the new babe arrives.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post
Wombatclay: ::

We have the tiny sugar ants and after fighting them for a year we finally got an exterminator and it has worked wonders.
There's a hive of those biting bigger ones in our driveway and DD and a friend were playing near a stump and they were just crawling up them and biting. I didn't even know we had any biting ants here.
I can't imagine if they were in the house. Those suckers hurt! I am planning on massacring them in the next week with something poisonous.

And I love Firefly.
Well I know how it feels to have a major ants problem Wombat!! I hate these pesky little black creatures they are everywhere in my house I finally mixed a bit of sugar with Borax (you can find it in the laundry aisle and sprinkled it where I was having ants problems. The ants carry it to there nest and everyone in the nest dies!!!! So far I have hardly had any ants at all. Just be careful with it around kids and animals.
#97 of 103 Old 07-26-2009, 06:45 PM

omg - what horrid ants. I'm so sorry wombat and others. Those little devils!

Not too much action here at all. BH fairly frequently, but I expect I'll be another couple weeks at least. My EDD is 8/15. My dh was out of town for a few days, and my m/w is back in town today, so I'm ready whenever this new little ds is ready. But I think it will be a while.

Still some things we need to do, like figure out how 2 carseats fit best in our cars, and make room in our bedroom for the basinet...but I'm just not motivated to do much at the moment. Except maybe go for ice cream.

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#98 of 103 Old 07-26-2009, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Soooo... as I said, our house is small, and there isn't a lot of "hidden" space. But we've found the ant colony!

The side view of the roof is shingles, then a ventilation layer, a vapor barrier, solid foam board insulation panels, and then the interior wood plank ceiling. When we replaced the roof (in between snow storms in November), the company replaced most of the wood sheathing/ventilation/foam insulation. Well, since then the ants have colonized the foam board insulation... either this is a "new home" or they were in a piece that wasn't replaced and have spread.

The only solution (and what DH is in the process of doing right now) is to rip out the wood plank ceiling, remove the foam board completely, spray the sheathing with pyrethrins, put up new insulation, and then a new ceiling. Now, there are a few challenges. First, it's a loft so it's not just the "ceiling"... it's also the walls. And it's all filled with thousands of very angry, very aggressive, ants. And we have no money to replace the insulation and/or ceiling materials. Last night DH stapled heavy plastic sheeting to the ceiling to catch the rain of bugs, and I'm sure we'll do something similar tonight (only hopefully without the bugs, or ceiling, or insulation) but that's not exactly a long term solution. And it doesn't address the issue of where we're going to sleep tonight.

My real fear is that, given Murphey's Law, I'll go into labor NOW and we'll have this half demolished loft covered in ripped out foam insulation and a still active ant colony spread out EVERYWHERE sitting there for a few days. Wouldn't that be fun?
AHHHHHH!!!

Can you bomb your house? Like leave for a day and just bomb the s*** out of it with that stuff that kills pretty much all bugs?

Man I am squicked out just reading that. You poor thing
#99 of 103 Old 07-26-2009, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all... at some point I'll have pictures of the whole adventure.

Just so everyone knows though, we've had an ant "problem" since we moved in about a year and a half ago. In that time we have tried literally everything. We've tried peppermint and lavender and other "never fail" essential oil tricks, we've used vinegar, olive oil, borax and boric acid, we've tried chalk, store bought ant traps that "kill the colony", etc. We've sprayed the foundation with pyrethrins, put down crushed stone and ant barriers, used spray foam and insulation gels to close every hole in the foundation, around plumbing, in the walls, etc. Sometimes I feel like a walking encyclopedia of ant elimination techniques.

We never tried the "whole house bug bomb" (anyone remember that MythBusters episode? ) but if they come back after this we probably will. I guess it's like anything else... sometimes you really do need the big guns.

Of course, I've been having contractions off and on today and DH is planning on taking some time off from work tomorrow to keep working on this... right now the whole ceiling/wall space is open and there is a huge mess upstairs. And I have a headache. And I'm trying to keep the girls amused waaaaaaaaay past their bedtimes.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#100 of 103 Old 07-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks all... at some point I'll have pictures of the whole adventure.

Just so everyone knows though, we've had an ant "problem" since we moved in about a year and a half ago. In that time we have tried literally everything. We've tried peppermint and lavender and other "never fail" essential oil tricks, we've used vinegar, olive oil, borax and boric acid, we've tried chalk, store bought ant traps that "kill the colony", etc. We've sprayed the foundation with pyrethrins, put down crushed stone and ant barriers, used spray foam and insulation gels to close every hole in the foundation, around plumbing, in the walls, etc. Sometimes I feel like a walking encyclopedia of ant elimination techniques.

We never tried the "whole house bug bomb" (anyone remember that MythBusters episode? ) but if they come back after this we probably will. I guess it's like anything else... sometimes you really do need the big guns.

Of course, I've been having contractions off and on today and DH is planning on taking some time off from work tomorrow to keep working on this... right now the whole ceiling/wall space is open and there is a huge mess upstairs. And I have a headache. And I'm trying to keep the girls amused waaaaaaaaay past their bedtimes.
Yeah, that is what I would do. Sometimes you do need the big guns, try not to feel bad. You live in a cottage in the woods, you have to take measures to deal with the....critters so you can keep your family safe. Not that you're not doing that, I'm just saying it's understandable.

My kids have been awful today. Making tons of messes and I am trying to keep the house clean because I'm nesting hardcore and AHHHHH!
#101 of 103 Old 07-26-2009, 10:31 PM

Holy birthdays, Batman!

I apparently missed page 4 - happy birthday to all you gals with birthdays these days.

A baby would be a great birthday gift, huh?

Enjoy your special moments with the ones you love.

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#102 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 12:21 AM

Yes, : to all you mamas!

We went to a BBQ and then to a lake to swim today. Oh, it was heaven to get in that cold water and feel un-pregnant for a couple of minutes.
Normally I am a huge baby about cold water but I am HOT and it was amazing. I wish I had a pool... they are calling for temps in the 100s this week.

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#103 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 12:25 AM

Happy birthday mamas!

Back from dh and I's weekend away, so relaxing! And my lens has returned, repaired so pictures soon too!

I had my ds blow up the pool and I am organizing my birth suipplies into before and after.
Bought fabric to make two skirts I can wear now and after baby arrives.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page