Almost August Weekly Thread 7/27-8/2 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 103 Old 07-30-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ants- well, the colony is gone, but the house is a wreck. Tumbleweeds of dog hair, fiberglass insulation, and wood pulp pick up ant bits and roll around the house. The sleep loft is a mess with a tiny vacuumed path from the stairs to the bed. Everything else is piled high with plastic sheeting, ant parts, insulation, drywall, tools, etc. It's horrible.

And the small projects I thought I could fo on my own I can't (for a variety of reasons). I've got to run to an OB appointment (my first due date is 8/7 so I'm getting close!) so more later but..... ARGH!!!!!!!!!! I want just a teeny tiny corner of the house that looks clean, you know?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#62 of 103 Old 07-30-2009, 02:27 PM

: NO ANTS!@!

I can handle all manner of bugs but ants squick me out. Ants and bees. ugh.
#63 of 103 Old 07-30-2009, 02:42 PM

We have ants too. WTH? Huge ones coming in through front door. I had some coming in my window, but seem to have killed those. Now I have tiny ones in my bathroom.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#64 of 103 Old 07-30-2009, 04:07 PM

I hate ants! We have fire ants down here in FL and every time one bites me I have a weird reaction where it swells up to an insane size. One bit my toe last weekend and I swear my toe grew to 3 times its normal size. Curse you ants!!

I had my homevisit today and it went very well. Baby girl is engaged nicely but posterior so I'm gonna work on getting her to turn. MW guessed she's around 5 lbs and I'll be 37 weeks this weekend. I'd like to bake for a few more weeks so she can be in the 7 lbs range.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#65 of 103 Old 07-30-2009, 04:24 PM

What a difference a day makes on my mood! I'm incredibly frustrated and teary after my OB appt this morning. There's been no progress really. She did put me at 1 centimeter, but I feel like that was a pity call on her part. She told me that she would be willing to induce as soon 2 days after my due date I really didn't want to do that, but it's tempting. If it comes to that, I might need you all to talk me down, lol.

I bawled in DH's arms after the appt and stayed home because I just couldn't will myself to work. I'll do some extra hydrotherapy time in the pool today. My foot feels broken from extra swelling

The good news is that I get to see my mom's old friend for dinner today. She has stepped up in place of my mom (passed on) to come to the birth, etc. I feel very blessed in that respect.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#66 of 103 Old 07-30-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post
What a difference a day makes on my mood! I'm incredibly frustrated and teary after my OB appt this morning. There's been no progress really. She did put me at 1 centimeter, but I feel like that was a pity call on her part. She told me that she would be willing to induce as soon 2 days after my due date I really didn't want to do that, but it's tempting. If it comes to that, I might need you all to talk me down, lol.

You ARE making progress, each day that you get closer to your "due date" and even past you are one day closer to baby arriving. I had nothing "going on" w/ my first babies, twins and yet went into labor that night. On the other hand been dilated a lot for months w/ my last 5 yet babies born at term. It means nothing really.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#67 of 103 Old 07-30-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamatoabunch View Post
You ARE making progress, each day that you get closer to your "due date" and even past you are one day closer to baby arriving. I had nothing "going on" w/ my first babies, twins and yet went into labor that night. On the other hand been dilated a lot for months w/ my last 5 yet babies born at term. It means nothing really.
Thanks mama, I needed that!

#68 of 103 Old 07-30-2009, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Home again... I did agree to a cervical check just to see (yeah, I know it doesn't really tell you anything ) and I'm soft, still mostly posterior, and about 2cm.

However, babe has wiggled out of his perfect birth position (which he had maintained for months) and is posterior. Grrrrr. Time to be a bit more religious about my positioning I guess. Best guess on babe's size right now is roughly 8lbs (at 38/39 weeks). Which makes sense since dd1 was 9lbs5oz and dd2 was 9lbs. I really want an August babe but sort of hope this kiddo decides to make his entrance in early August, you know?

ETA- progress... the Labor Progress Handbook lists 6 "ways to progress"... and although they're not glamorous, the first three ways are important too! The book also points out that those first 3 steps can take days or weeks and that it's important not to get discouraged if you happen to be in the group of women that has seemingly "useless" contractions for a prolonged period of time.

1- cervix moves to the anterior position
2- cervix becomes soft
3- cervix effaces
4- cervix dilates
5- babe's head rotates/flexes/molds
6- babe descends and is born

So hang in there!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#69 of 103 Old 07-30-2009, 05:09 PM

We don't have ants, we have spiders! In the bed! Every day I wake up with new bites. This happens in every house I live in in this town and it's awful. I never see the darn things, but just get the bites.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#70 of 103 Old 07-30-2009, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Raene- are you sure it's spiders? It could be bed bugs... they're pretty common in towns where there is a large "mobile" population and they can be hard to get rid of once a place is infested. You don't see them, but they sure can bite!

#71 of 103 Old 07-30-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
We don't have ants, we have spiders! In the bed! Every day I wake up with new bites. This happens in every house I live in in this town and it's awful. I never see the darn things, but just get the bites.

Oh my, would be totally, I mean totally freaking out. #1 bug enemy roaches, thank the Lord we do not have them here, #2 bug enemy spiders. We have tons, ugh!

#72 of 103 Old 07-30-2009, 05:51 PM

My DH would have gone crazy or moved out of your house Wombat, he is freaked out by ants. He had two terrible experiences as a child and now he HATES the things. He will set other bugs free, with ants if it sprays and seems slightly toxic or flamable he is after the ants. We even had a bug service for a while since we just could not keep the ants at bay.

It's lovely we have several ant types in our area, in fact very near my house is where they collect ants to sell for ant farms. We also have what I call nuclear ants, these things are HUGE (sometimes close to an inch long), that don't die from being squashed, coated in gasoline and lite on fire or any other standard method of ant death (we had some that smelled like Raid, I think they thrived on the stuff). They also cause me to swell intensely when I get bit. Even reading your story made my skin crawl!!! EEWWWWWWWWWWW!!! Glad to hear they are on their way out!

I still have so much to do, but I am getting so run down. I feel like I just want to sleep. I messed up my appt. time yesterday for my midwife, but I have to say though I got nothing done, the fact that it was 67 degrees there verses 102 at home I had a bit of a tough time complaining. I wish I could find an excuse to go stay near the BC now while the weather is hot. But we got our AC working now so its not as terrible as it was. It was 105 here and our AC was barely working, I was getting sick it was so awful.

Overall I am getting things slowly done, but I am getting antsy, my next appt is my due date, things are getting close, I need to keep telling myself that to make it through day to day.

Belly Dancing, Tattooed, Veggy, Mum to DS 8/16/09 Married to a : Tattooed Geek at home with Dot and Dash fur babies : <-- pretend I am a rat
#73 of 103 Old 07-30-2009, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder who the first "August babe" will be? We've had a lot of babies this week, but we have a day or so until we're officially in August.

#74 of 103 Old 07-30-2009, 11:43 PM

Ugh, ants! Now I'm itchy: We have a terrible problem with fire ants here in SWFL. I have no issues whatsoever resorting to the bad stuff to get rid of them. Their bites hurt and leave me blistered and scarred!

I too had my home visit today: It was good. I really hope that both of my midwives are able to attend my birth. I feel so comfortable with both of them 37 weeks tomorrow! Yipee!
#75 of 103 Old 07-31-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Home again... I did agree to a cervical check just to see (yeah, I know it doesn't really tell you anything ) and I'm soft, still mostly posterior, and about 2cm.
!
I broke down too. We even joked about how it tells nothing but for some reason I wanted to know. My midwife said she was the same way. I just can't say how much l love her. I was her last appointment of the day and had a accupunture appointment afterward. She offered to drive me so I didn't have to walk or take public transportation so we got to hang out a little longer. It was so much fun. She really is a cool person.

Well back to the check. Pretty useless info 1cm and 50% or so. We put bets on the day just for fun. She is saying nothing will happen until after my mom arrives on the 9th, the day after my due date. I am saying he will be born on the 12th so he will have matching days with DS1 who is april 12. It is really symetrical because both DH and I have birthdays on the 8th 4 months apart and the kids would have birthdays on the 12th 4 months apart.

Otherwise life is moving along quietly. Not really doing much. Still working FT but from home most days. We are planning something fun for the family this weekend as it is the last full one we have before my mom arrives. Not sure if it will be a trip to the zoo or just the pool. Maybe both. We will see how I feel.

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#76 of 103 Old 07-31-2009, 09:38 AM

LOL, all this talk about bugs have me itchy and running around with the vacuum cleaner sucking up little critters

We are pretty lucky we don't have a lot of any just a few spiders here and there and sometimes an ant or 2 makes it inside. Mostly it if flies but I look at them as toys for the cats

We also have fruit flies which drives my DH insane. No matter how clean we are and how quickly we put things away they seem to appear. We even put out compost bucket in the freezer because it was causing an infestation.

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#77 of 103 Old 07-31-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Raene- are you sure it's spiders? It could be bed bugs... they're pretty common in towns where there is a large "mobile" population and they can be hard to get rid of once a place is infested. You don't see them, but they sure can bite!
Actually, turns out it's ants! Lol. I thought for sure it was spiders, but these are biting ants. Arg.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#78 of 103 Old 07-31-2009, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Ants!

The contractor was here last night (it's raining again today so he probably wont be back till next week) but he started the foundation dig! Right now the back of the house has been brought to grade, the next bit will be to further dig out the area that will be foundation. So much depends on the weather, but it should only take 3-4 rain free days.

#79 of 103 Old 07-31-2009, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Fruit flies are a bad problem where we live too. However, this year we don't have a single one in the house. We put our compost bin outside next to our house and they're all drawn to it. Apparently it's a lot better to live there than inside! It's terrible when you open the bin, but nice inside. Go figure..

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#80 of 103 Old 07-31-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernillep View Post

We also have fruit flies which drives my DH insane. No matter how clean we are and how quickly we put things away they seem to appear. We even put out compost bucket in the freezer because it was causing an infestation.
We had a crazy fruit fly fiasco last year. I read that often you bring them home on produce you buy and then they hatch. Of course, they will then continue to breed on whatever's available- we had to move our compost outside and get rid of all non-refrigerated fruit for about a week.

Anyway, I used a homemade trap- bottle with a funnel taped into the spout and filled with apple cider vinegar- it worked really well. They fly in, can't get out, and drown.
You can also buy traps. Our exterminator gave us a couple and they worked even better!

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#81 of 103 Old 07-31-2009, 02:45 PM

We are having ant issues in the kitchen, but they have been MIA for a few days... Apparently they love the moistness of the dishwasher vent. I'm just glad they haven't found the cat food. That would bring all the ants in the neighborhood to our kitchen!

The latest bug issue we have is cockroaches coming up our shower drain. EWWWWWWW!!!! I saw one running towards me in the morning while I was showering. It was big and blurry because I didn't have my glasses on. I didn't think I could move so fast! DH is going to get some sort of mesh cover for the drain to keep them from revisiting.

#82 of 103 Old 07-31-2009, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post
The latest bug issue we have is cockroaches coming up our shower drain. EWWWWWWW!!!! I saw one running towards me in the morning while I was showering. It was big and blurry because I didn't have my glasses on. I didn't think I could move so fast! DH is going to get some sort of mesh cover for the drain to keep them from revisiting.
:
You poor lady!
My #1 fear is roaches- of any size.
When it comes to them I say the more poison, the better. DDT? Bring it on!

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#83 of 103 Old 07-31-2009, 04:41 PM

Not a good day here. I had a headache that progressed to a migraine and now back to headache. We are still dealing w/ some sickness in our house, a month now. I feel all emotional, weepy, and sick of everything.

#84 of 103 Old 07-31-2009, 07:52 PM

Get well soon mamatoabunch!

Mamas, don't be discouraged (or encouraged for that matter) by cervical checks because they mean nothing at all. Really, nothing. I can tell you a million stories of people being 4+ cm dilated for weeks on and end while others are barely 1 cm and go on to have fast labors shortly after. I had a 5 hour labor with DS2 after being barely a fingertip dilated and posterior just a day or two before. I am going to try really hard to not be checked this time around because it always just leads to me being upset. I may ask for a rough check on my due date to hopefully stir things up but that is about it.

Same goes for labor, checks don't mean much and they can be discouraging. When you tie a number to your feelings it is bad news. Try to wait until you feel like pushing and then be checked to make sure you are not pushing against a cervix that is not completely dilated. Each labor really has its own timeline so don't be discouraged if your "number" isn't what you want it to be because it can change in minutes. I literally had one client go from 4 to 10 cm in just under an hour. When she heard "4" she cried thinking she had hours left, then transition came and she was pushing in no time.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#85 of 103 Old 08-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Banned

Ok seriously, is our entire DDC due in early August, or what? It's barely the 2nd and I feel like at least half of us have babies already. Doesn't anyone EVER go late like me?

I am looking at probably weeks of this. WEEKS!

Gah. I told myself I would not get impatient and twitchy at the end.

I lied.
#86 of 103 Old 08-02-2009, 09:11 PM

Today: DTD, walked for an hour, ate spicy Mexican food

I'm trying to send this little guy a message! I'm feeling more twinges like he is dipping lower, but that's all so far. I still have hope for tonight... or very soon!!!

#87 of 103 Old 08-02-2009, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Ok seriously, is our entire DDC due in early August, or what? It's barely the 2nd and I feel like at least half of us have babies already. Doesn't anyone EVER go late like me?

I am looking at probably weeks of this. WEEKS!

Gah. I told myself I would not get impatient and twitchy at the end.

I lied.
I'm not due til the 21st, so I keep telling myself baby girl will be here by Sept 6th. DS was due on the 22nd of the month and was born the 7th of the following.
I might be keeping you company Mama I am also trying not to get impatient. This is it, last baby. I really enjoy my belly so I keep reminding myself to take it one day at a time.
#88 of 103 Old 08-02-2009, 09:28 PM

I'm just only 37 weeks today but honestly I can feel myself starting to get a little antsy and impatient. I'd like to stay pregnant for another week at least but the thought of doing this for another 5 weeks makes me want to cry. One day at a time.

#89 of 103 Old 08-02-2009, 09:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiMami View Post
I'm not due til the 21st, so I keep telling myself baby girl will be here by Sept 6th. DS was due on the 22nd of the month and was born the 7th of the following.
I might be keeping you company Mama I am also trying not to get impatient. This is it, last baby. I really enjoy my belly so I keep reminding myself to take it one day at a time.

Of course, you know now if you go into labor before I do I will totally cry a little.

This is my last baby too. I alternate between "oh, it's my last pregnancy, I should savor it" and "CAN'T I JUST GET THIS OVER WITH SO I NEVER HAVE TO BE THIS UNCOMFORTABLE AGAIN?!?!?!"

I've had a good couple of days, though. I've just made a huge point to take it really, really easy.
#90 of 103 Old 08-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
I'm just only 37 weeks today but honestly I can feel myself starting to get a little antsy and impatient. I'd like to stay pregnant for another week at least but the thought of doing this for another 5 weeks makes me want to cry. One day at a time.
Yes, me too Jilian. Me too!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page