Almost August Weekly Thread 7/27-8/2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 10:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mornin' All!

Sooooo... some mamas have babes in arms, some are in labor, some are counting the days, and others are still looking across a river of weeks. But we're all getting closer!

How is it going? New mamas... are you resting up and enjoying your babes? Any advice? Mamas in waiting... are you resting up? Ideas for making these weeks pass quickly?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#2 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 11:07 AM

Morning! 39 weeks today

I'm trying so hard not to be constantly checking for blood or interpreting every twinge. After all, I could have a full two more weeks left.

Ideas to pass the time...well, apartment Tetris is never done. This weekend we finally solved our sleep dilemma. I'm now the proud owner of a room-sized bed. DB built the platform out to the end of the room, so I now have a family sleep pod with a queen plus a twin. He slept in bed last night with monkey and me for the first time in months. Of course, they wake up shivering as I have a fan blowing the AC directly on me all night

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#3 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 11:27 AM

Good morning! 38w2d today and yeah every little twinge I get I tend to stop and think, "is this it?" Craziness. Dh is on paternity leave now for a month so we're trying to get projects done around the house. I didn't rest enough yesterday and ended up with water balloons for ankles by night time, I won't be doing that again.
#4 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 11:31 AM

36wks1day today. I've been so tired lately...for one thing, our schedules are hectic, and for another, I'm hot and pregnant, lol. I really can't function if I don't have a mid-afternoon nap or at least an hour in bed with my feet up. That scares me...I don't remember going through that in the last pregnancy and I wonder how I'll take care of a newborn when I'm already feeling exhausted.

Other than that, things are okay. I'm expecting my birth pool in the mail today or tomorrow. We're pretty much ready, except for DH and I having a blow-out argument in the middle of the night last night about what the postpartum period will be like.

No baby in sight at this point...seems like I'll be waiting for a long time.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#5 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 11:38 AM

The waiting game is so fun isn't it? I have enough cleaning to keep me busy, that's for sure!

Right now DH is at the hospital for a CAT Scan. He has been having issues in his gut/stomach/testicular area. The doc couldn't find any hernias or lumps so he is in for a scan to find anything that might be lurking. The doc thinks that it's possible buldging stomach lining. Whatever it is I hope that it can be taken care of BEFORE this babe comes.

Do to this, I think that I have been unconsciously telling this babe that I am not quite ready.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#6 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Well, ya'll could rip out your ceilings and see what's up there! It's an adventure and an education all in one. I'll get pictures up soonish, but DH was up there till 2am ripping out and replacing stuff...which meant I was trying to keep the girls amused and then get them to sleep downstairs on the couch. And since we have one armchair (dd2's "bed") and one couch (dd1's "bed") I ended up sitting on the floor for hours. I think my hips will never forgive me! And DH will be coming home from work early today to keep going... we really need this done before the babe arrives.

I found out a friend I haven't seen in a long time is pregnant and due in October with her first! Wowsa! So today's mission is to ignore the bugs, take the girls into town, and get some material for making a baby blanket. I'm not a quilter, but every baby needs a unique blanket, right? Just like every wedding requires a statue of a lady with a clock in her belly.

ETA- totally forgot. Dole makes these bags of frozen mixed fruit (pineapple, mango, peach, strawberry) and right now I am basically living on these... I fill a bowl, pop it into the microwave for 2 minutes, and what comes out is sort of fruit shaped sorbet... still cold and a bit icy but oh so amazingly yummy in hot weather! The girls call it "frozy fruit" and they love it too. So if you're looking for a frozen/cold snack that you can eat in front of a toddler check it out.

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#7 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 11:50 AM

37 wks here and feeling quite done! I know no one wants to hear that but I am so over it. I miscarried before this pregnancy so I have technically been pregnant for a yr. and a half!! Do I have things I need to do? Probably but the energy and motivation is completely lacking. I am bored waiting for this baby to get here. Everything is pretty much in place except a few last dr. appts. and the birthing tub which gets delivered next week.

How in the heck do i get thru the next 2-4 wks?!

Mom to K and R

#8 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 12:02 PM

My last miscarriage has been on my brain too. I was just thinking that if that one had stuck, I'd have a 1 month old now. Hmm.

I can't wait to be done. Something about the reassurance seems great. I have a hard time trusting in what I can't see.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#9 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 PM

Sounds like a great adventure Wombatclay. I might just have to try your delicious treat too!

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#10 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 12:11 PM

Oh my I'm not even full term yet and am losing my mind, I think going into preterm labor about 2 weeks ago made me more anxious....

I am so ready I can't stand it! I feel okay for the most part I'm just tired and so ready to be done wearing maternity clothes. I miss my old wardrobe for sure. This week I'm just trying to clean, clean, clean and organize so the house is tidy when she makes her appearance!

Thankfully we got 2 window mount air conditioners about 2 weeks ago so I have been in heaven during our 100 degree weather. Being pregnant and hot is truly awful.
#11 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 12:22 PM

39+1 here, nesting like crazy. my house looks amazing, lol. this morning I color coordinated my towels by bathroom.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#12 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
color coordinated my towels by bathroom.

#13 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 01:12 PM

36+ for me. I have my home visit on Thursday: Baby is head down thanks to the webster technique. I'll keep seeing the chiro 1x a week til she comes, just in case. I feel small. My belly isn't as huge as it was with ds. I need to take some pics. I haven't taken any since 25 weeks.

I still have a bunch of stuff to do around the house, but nothing super urgent thankfully. Just some good cleaning stuff that dh needs to help me with. Can't wait til he's no longer working 80 hrs a week!

Wombat- that sounds yummy. I've been enjoying nectarines lately. Mmmm!
#14 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 01:29 PM

35 weeks today, more and more BH, some days so many, others not as much. I have to be very careful w/ eating, carbs especially. Ate a bagel this morning, not good. I need to make my list for dh to do in labor and organize my birth supplies into before and after. I found a few cute boy outfits for after baby is born, need to decide on one if it is cool in house. I have been seeing some yellow jelly like globs, plug maybe. Never saw it before except w/ my third in labor, it was blood tinged IIRC, so who knows. The plague we have had off and on in this house continues, starting to freak me out. WTH? Tummy upset, headache, snot and goopy eyes. Third time now I have had it. My babies diapers are horrible. I had forgot, but apprently we had this last July/August when expecting Eiley. Ugh!

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#15 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 02:33 PM

38 weeks + 3 today.

I've been without internet for the past week. It has been exciting to read all the baby updates today!

I'm getting excited/nervous. Baby dropped last Tuesday, which was really nice. I came in from feeding our animals and (holding my belly) asked my dh "does this look lower to you?" He looked at me and said in a somewhat nervous manner- "What does that mean?!" I told him maybe nothing, but we really should stop procrastinating on getting the birth kit together. It is all ready now and the carseat is in the car. DH was playing hooky from work so we ran errands that afternoon and went out for lunch. I ate a Huge burrito! Dh was impressed. It is so nice to have room for my stomach again, but now I am hungry all the time!

Still not in our house *sigh* I think we might not make it before our lo arrives. I guess I should get set up over here instead.

My family is coming out from CA to SC for the big event. They are driving and leave on Thursday. I hope my sister makes it in time, as she is my doula. I explained to our lo that they need to stay put a little longer, though being such a low rider now I sometimes feel like I have to walk with my legs crossed to keep him/her in! Besides the procrastinators that we are, we could certainly use the extra couple of weeks to get things ready!

Rest up mamas! If they aren't already, our babies will be here soon!
#16 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 02:44 PM

I have eleven days to go until my due date! I'm exhausted, my back aches, I can hardly walks sometimes due to the swollen feet and the baby dipping down, and my carpal tunnel is getting worse. I'm still hanging in here at work to save my six weeks for after the baby gets here!

He's sideways with his back against the left side of my belly, but still pointed downwards... not sure what the technical term for this is. I looked pretty lopsided this morning, and rubbed his back, asking him to turn the right way. I'm jealous of all the mamas that have their babies already. My turn, my turn!!!

DH hasn't studied up on any of the birth coach stuff that he was given at our class, packed a bag for himself, or made a playlist of music like I asked him to. Hopefully, he will be able to take control in the delivery room. He is so used to me handling things, but he knows I need him to step up and be assertive for all of us... we'll see!!!

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#17 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post
He's sideways with his back against the left side of my belly, but still pointed downwards... not sure what the technical term for this is. I looked pretty lopsided this morning, and rubbed his back, asking him to turn the right way.
do you mean he is head down, with his back all the way to the left? if so that IS the right way - left occiput anterior.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#18 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 03:04 PM

I have some good news - my DH got a job after being laid off for 7 months! The place is two blocks from our house. The bad news is he gets no leave when the baby is born But hey, at least we'll have money coming in.
#19 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 38w2d today.. My 5 year old ds has gone on his first away-from-home trip with grandma. He's been gone for nearly a week now and won't be back until August 4th. It's strange to have so much time to myself. I've been trying to enjoy my 2 weeks to myself to get things done, clean, read, and relax which is nice. I will feel nice and rested when DD arrives. Also, this is the first time that my DH and I have ever been without a kid for more than one night (he adopted DS). It's good to know that we still like eachother when we're left alone!

I too am having lots of BH contractions. Sometimes they're every few minutes, sometimes once every few hours. I also guess that my baby has dropped because I lost a cm of measurement at my last midwife appointment. It really doesn't feel much different to me, so who knows? Luckily I don't have a problem breathing or eating at any point in pregnancy, so maybe that's why I didn't feel a change.

We got our spare bedroom cleaned out this weekend and we're going to set up the birthing tub this week. I'm getting really excited about meeting our new DD.. It's sooo close!

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#20 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
do you mean he is head down, with his back all the way to the left? if so that IS the right way - left occiput anterior.
Oh, I thought the right way was with his back towards my front... I just look so lopsided! This is a big baby for sure!

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#21 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
I have some good news - my DH got a job after being laid off for 7 months! The place is two blocks from our house. The bad news is he gets no leave when the baby is born But hey, at least we'll have money coming in.
That is amazing! Congrats on the job! Maybe they'll at least let him take long lunches to come home and be with you, or a day or two, or SOMETHING! Although, just to have money coming in is definitely something. Congrats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshynbaby View Post
Oh, I thought the right way was with his back towards my front... I just look so lopsided! This is a big baby for sure!
I thought the same thing! And I too look ridiculously lopsided. DH loves to look at me and tell me how the baby is laying without touching. He thinks it's hilarious.

As for my own updates, we're moving to our 'final resting place' tomorrow. I'm so excited to finally get a 'home'. I'm not due till the very end of August so I technically still have lots of time left, but we're hoping we can coax this LO out a bit sooner.

Does anyone know if it's possible to use EPO and RRL and 5W to induce if it's too soon? If so, I don't want to crazy with them. If not, we'll be having all the sex and herbs I can handle! (within reason, of course)

Also, a great friend of mine finally got a job as my maternity replacement! I'm happy for her, and glad to know that I don't have to feel rushed *at all* going back to work, but I'm bummed because she was going to come up and stay with us until the babe is born. Since she was laid off, it was perfect, she could stay as long as it took, and because it's *her* I wouldn't feel rushed to go into labor. But now I think it's just going to be me, DH and the midwife. Which might work out perfectly, or I might panic last minute and call a doula and beg for help. I guess we'll see!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#22 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

yay for jobs!

#23 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 05:45 PM

Hey everyone! My c-section is set for Friday at 8:00AM- I can't believe it, that is 4 days away! I've got all the baby related (fun) tasks mostly done, what is left is household preparation/maintenace/cleaning type of stuff (not fun) so I'm not feeling very motivated at the moment. I just sent DH an email with a breakdown of each evening this week and what I'd like to get accomplished. MIL was set to come and stay with DD from Thurs evening-Monday morning and she just notified us that she has to be gone for most of the day on Saturday so she can take care of the bills for DH's parents business.: We set this up 2 months ago! Don't commit and then a week before let us know you can't follow through! Luckily, we have other family to step in and cover for part of that day, and DH can spend time w/DD but I'm sort of feeling like WTH? This is pretty typical behavior for her though, so I guess I shouldn't be suprised, but I just thought, you know, SINCE WE ARE HAVING A BABY she could follow through this time! YK? (Sorry, rant over. I'm a bit crabby.) DD is certainly sensing the change in the wind- she is very emotional right now. She has a lot to deal with- with the loss of our dog last week and now her baby sister coming at the end of this week. I'm feeling anticipitory guilt about having my attention diverted to the new babe.
Anywho, off to eat a lime popsicle- I've been craving icy, fruity things as well!

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#24 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Does anyone know if it's possible to use EPO and RRL and 5W to induce if it's too soon? If so, I don't want to crazy with them. If not, we'll be having all the sex and herbs I can handle! (within reason, of course)
i just started taking EPO this past weekend and i'm 36w4d. i'm only taking them orally though until 37 weeks, then i'll start taking them orally and vaginally. so far, no problems, but baby has been moving down and i'm losing more mucous so hopefully it's helping me to ripen a little.

we're back to the doc on thurs and we'll talk to him about induction methods. we're still penciled in to be induced on the 13th, but hopefully he'll check me and we'll be dilated enough so it won't be necessary....

s momsling.GIF - JW asl.gif writing geek.gif wifey to j aaman.gif  (11/03) and cd.gif  homeschool.gif  knit.gif sewmachine.gif read.gif mommy to s dreads.gif (10/04), l kewl.gif (8/08), j diaper.gif (8/09), and little s boc.gif (12/12)

#25 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Well, RRL is a uterine tonic... meaning it shouldn't actually be starting anything, it should just be making sure your uterine muscle is in good shape (well oxygenated, happy muscle tissue ). Although some mamas feel that the RRL causes contractions (and everyone responds differently to herbs, for example chamomile makes me wired) I think in many cases the contractions are already present and the RRL makes them more efficient... so they get felt by mama. But for most women RRL shouldn't kick start labor, even in a super sized serving.

EPO- there are some threads here (and discussions around the web) about how some is good but more isn't necessarily better. Some care providers are concerned that too much EPO (and since everyone responds differently, "too much" is a hard line to draw) can make the cervix stretchier than it should be. So that instead of being pushed aside by the baby's head, the cervix might be pulled down too... leading to tearing, prolpase, cervical lips, or stalls in labor. So I suppose the moral of the story would be "EPO wont cause premature labor, but too much might cause problems during the birth once it begins".

And as for formulas like 5W/PN6/Gentle Birth- I guess I'd follow their dosing guidelines and any warnings or suggestions they might offer since they've spent the time/energy figuring out what works with their formula.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that herbs are "real medicine" and can cause real complications. While some natural induction methods are more or less risk free (sex, walking, eating spicy foods assuming no allergies) others can cause problems (nipple stim, cohoshes, castor oil). So it's important to know how you, specifically, respond to certain herbs or stimuli and then not overdo it.

#26 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 07:14 PM

dislocator3972, my EDD is two days before yours and I've started taking EPO orally (1 gel gap) and will up the dosage to a max of 3 gel caps by 40ish weeks. I'm not doing the PN6/5W, but am drinking RRL. I've been drinking RRL tea iced for a couple of weeks now, I find it a refreshing alternative to my usual decaf iced tea. It doesn't seem to cause any increase in BH for me even when I drink more than the suggested 3 cups a day.

mamaheids, how exciting!
#27 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
dislocator3972, my EDD is two days before yours and I've started taking EPO orally (1 gel gap) and will up the dosage to a max of 3 gel caps by 40ish weeks. I'm not doing the PN6/5W, but am drinking RRL. I've been drinking RRL tea iced for a couple of weeks now, I find it a refreshing alternative to my usual decaf iced tea. It doesn't seem to cause any increase in BH for me even when I drink more than the suggested 3 cups a day.

mamaheids, how exciting!
Maybe we should race to the finish line! Winner gets some extra babysitting fare! (just kidding)

RRL definitely tightens me right up. I have very few noticeable BH when I don't drink it, but when I do I feel them all day. It is WONDERFUL iced. I've been mixing RRL with regular decaf Liptons and some Lemon Zinger. It's so great, but I've gotten a little nervous with the difference/emergence of BH.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#28 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Well, RRL is a uterine tonic... meaning it shouldn't actually be starting anything, it should just be making sure your uterine muscle is in good shape (well oxygenated, happy muscle tissue ). Although some mamas feel that the RRL causes contractions (and everyone responds differently to herbs, for example chamomile makes me wired) I think in many cases the contractions are already present and the RRL makes them more efficient... so they get felt by mama. But for most women RRL shouldn't kick start labor, even in a super sized serving.

EPO- there are some threads here (and discussions around the web) about how some is good but more isn't necessarily better. Some care providers are concerned that too much EPO (and since everyone responds differently, "too much" is a hard line to draw) can make the cervix stretchier than it should be. So that instead of being pushed aside by the baby's head, the cervix might be pulled down too... leading to tearing, prolpase, cervical lips, or stalls in labor. So I suppose the moral of the story would be "EPO wont cause premature labor, but too much might cause problems during the birth once it begins".

And as for formulas like 5W/PN6/Gentle Birth- I guess I'd follow their dosing guidelines and any warnings or suggestions they might offer since they've spent the time/energy figuring out what works with their formula.

I think the thing to keep in mind is that herbs are "real medicine" and can cause real complications. While some natural induction methods are more or less risk free (sex, walking, eating spicy foods assuming no allergies) others can cause problems (nipple stim, cohoshes, castor oil). So it's important to know how you, specifically, respond to certain herbs or stimuli and then not overdo it.
Thanks, that's the reminder I needed. I use a lot of this very rarely (counting my blessings here) and I forget about herbs being anything other than harmless helpers.

I'll have to check with my midwives and see what dosages and schedules they recommend, and how aggressive I can be with it. I wonder if sheer enthusiasm can enhance the effects of all this?!

#29 of 103 Old 07-27-2009, 10:00 PM

texaspeach - congrats on your DH getting a job!

mamaheids - I hope you have a nice birth on Friday!

I'm at that weepy I'm-gonna-have-a-baby-soon stage. I'm so excited to meet the baby and see what she looks like. Last night I had a wonderful dream that she was born in my kitchen after a 45 min labor and I didn't tear. In the dream I was so happy to see her but they sent me to K-mart to go shopping instead Pregnancy dreams are funny. I keep thinking that this will be the last time I'm pregnant, my last birth, my last time to hold a newborn and "meet" her for the first time. It is bittersweet.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#30 of 103 Old 07-28-2009, 12:38 AM
Banned

Pregnancy dreams ARE funny.

Yesterday morning I dreamed that Ina Garten from The Food Network was a member of my church and I got to meet her. I was totally thrilled

I'm like, 36 weeks 3 days today. But really, I have never gone early in my life. Never say never, I know, but since my midwives are going to be out of town from like the 1st to the 8th of August, I'd really better not. I mean, they have a backup midwife for me, who I have met, but still, I'm more familiar with them. Anyone want to join me in my "it's going to be at least a month" journey?

A&A said on the psychic thread that I would go on the 19th, which would be 39 weeks 5 days. WE SHALL SEE ABOUT THAT.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page