thrombosed hemorrhoid - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 12:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I developed my first and very painful hemorrhoid last Thursday. It has gotten larger and larger and more painful ever since I noticed it. I went for my almost 37 week ob appointment today and told her about it and how it has horrid. She took a look and told me that it was thrombosed (filled with blood clots) and that I needed to get it taken care of right away because of the size it was and the pain. She made an appointment for me to see the local out of hospital surgical doctors that she works closely with. She faxed over all my records and will be working closely with them because of how far along I am.

I have an appointment tomorrow. I have researched the procedures that they do for thrombosed hemorrhoids. I am comfortable with getting the procedure done- as I am in so much pain- I need this to be fixed. What scares me about all of this is what I have been reading about how this effects my birth experience (I am almost 37 weeks and know that birth is just around the corner). All of the information I have read states that c-section may be required because of the complications that can arise from the hemorrhoid surgery site, or even problems with waiting to treat until after delivery (not sure if I could wait- it hurts so very badly). I am scared of a c-section, but will come to terms with it if need be.

This really sucks why can i not just have a normal complication free pregnancy. Sigh.

Unschooling Mommy of 3: Lilith (14), Panda (6), and Fox (4)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 01:06 AM

Oh, Candi, that does suck!
I hope it all works out and baby is able to be delivered vaginally. I cannot imagine what you must be going through, hugs!
#3 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 01:42 AM

I'm sorry sending you no c/s vibes
#4 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 02:46 AM

I just had one of these too, my first also. It really hurt, but I think yours sounds worse, I'm so sorry! I used tons of witchhazel and soaked in hot water. The blood clot came out on its own (sorry, tmi!) and then I bled for about a week. Finally it stopped and the pain went away. I did think about how miserable labor would be accompanied by one of these! I had no idea a c-section could be recommended.
I hope you are feeling better soon!
#5 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 04:36 AM

I am lurking from the Sept DDC, but just wanted to offer my condolences and what worked for me. I had internal hemorrhoids before I was every pregnant and when I pushed during labor with my 1st baby I pushed so hard I pushed them all out. After delivery they were severely thrombosed and I wanted surgery just to relieve the pain but my OB recommended I try other things because the pain of the surgery/lancing and recovery on top of recovering from labor/episiotomy was not going to be worth it and he did not want to see me in such pain.

I then suffered with prolapsed hemorrhoids for another 3.5 years until I finally had hemorrhoid surgery. I had the ones that would thrombose about 1-2 times a month. The best thing that anyone ever recommended was HYDROCORTISONE cream. My general surgeon recommended it in the weeks leading up to my surgery and it helped so much. Just slather on a bunch on your hemorrhoid and wear a pad/pantiliner. Lay on your side and walk as much as possible. Walking/light excercise helps to relieve the pressure of the blood in the vessel there and relieves the discomfort. DO NOT SIT on your butt if you can at all avoid it. Stand or lay on your side with a pillow between your knees.

I would NEVER do the surgery/lancing a few weeks prior to possibly giving birth. The recovery is HELL... for me it was 2000 times worse than the pain of childbirth.

If it were me I would try conservative measures (things above) combined with sitz baths, proctofoam (helps to numb the area) or ask the MD for some lidocaine cream to put on your hemorrhoid area also. Taking Tylenol also (ibuprofen works much better but is a no-no late in pregnancy).

I used to work in OB and remember a patient who had a really bad hemorrhoid late in her pregnancy and the general surgeon refused to lance/do surgery, but instead banded it. She said it helped and was so greatful that she didnt do the surgical route because she ended up in labor like two days later and would have still been recovering.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!!! Hemorrhoids are the absolute WORST!!!!!

Proud Army Wife, Christian, Mommy to Jackson (12/02) Jillian (12/03) and William (9/14/09). Expecting our newest blessing Aug 2010!
#6 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hugs mama!
I kind of feel for you. I had vaginal hemorrhoids, and they were terrible. I couldn't wait to have them gone after the baby came out. And it has been 2 days and no more of them!!!!! Will the ones you have go away after the labor?

I heard that they could be bad during labor, but I had no issues. Actually my blood pressure rose just enough (not in a dangerous way) that they tightened up during the labor.

To treat them (more like get by with them), I used homeopathy- pulsatilla 30 c every day, butchers broom herb, vitamin c, and loads of blueberries

Hope it all works out well.
#7 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 AM

DDC crashing. I too had a thrombosed hemorrhoid this pregnancy, and have had 1-2 in the past. I suffered so much, so I know how you feel, I really do. That said, I was able to suffer through and while it is still there, the pain has subsided to a workable level, and so I have not had surgery. I would give it at least a week-2 weeks before I consented to the surgery, only b/c although it sounds like a good answer, I have heard from too many that the recovery is hell. I hope the pain subsides for you like it has for me.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#8 of 20 Old 07-29-2009, 10:13 AM

this thread is freaking me out!!!
my butt turned inside out during labour....

dh is freakining because my butt looks almost the same right now....midwife didn't look at them or mention anything...i have been using pharmacy brand ointment and they keep getting bigger...

i will call a doctor today and have him look at it

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#9 of 20 Old 07-30-2009, 01:17 AM - Thread Starter

I went to see the doctor I was referred to today. As I explained what was going on, he had the same reaction as my OB (and many of these responses here). He told me that they always try to avoid messing with hemorrhoids this late in pregnancy. He mentioned tucks and creams, and resting and baths. I thought it was awesome that he wanted to do what was best for me and the baby. I told him that I had been doing all of that for a week, that it was getting bigger, more painful and hard to the touch. I have spent most of the last week crying from the pain.

So he examined me and said that in my case I needed to have it taken care of right away. Apparently I have one of the largest and most severe thrombosed hemorrhoids he had ever come across. sigh. Also he said that with how severe it was, he did not recommend leaving it alone until after birth (as he usually does for these), because of the chance of rupture and hemorrhaging. I was numbed, given a local (ouch!) and then he removed it. He was going to lance it, but the size was so large and the bloodclots were numerous and beginning to back up into the veins, so he had to remove tissue as well. No stitches or anything though.

It does hurt, and I am on a pain med (i was put on one for the hemorrhoid itself though...) for the most part the extreme pressure skin tearing feeling has been replaced with a stinging sharp pain. I am bleeding quite a bit and my attempt at going to the bathroom earlier had me crying. I am hoping for a quick recovery. It is so nice not to have that painful thing hanging off of me now. It is a matter of healing up a bit (2-3 days of big healing and taking it easy for a week). Hopefully baby will wait until 38 weeks to come.

Oh and the doctor eased my mind, letting me know that vaginal birth should not be a problem for me. He recommended a counter pressure (like a warm washcloth) being held to the spot while I am actively pushing. I only pushed 3 times to get DD2 out- so hopefully this one will come out as easy. He also said that he will consult and share records with my ob so she will be on top of things as well.

So here is to hoping that a good nights sleep will give my body time to heal and my mind to zen.

#10 of 20 Old 07-30-2009, 01:21 AM

I had a thrombosed hemorroid when I was 38 weeks with my first baby, and had to have it removed too. Mine was very bad as well. The good news was that it was fine for pushing 3 weeks later, and didn't come back. These things happen with pregnancy sometimes.

I am glad you got it taken care of!

Rest well tonight.
#11 of 20 Old 07-30-2009, 08:05 AM

Candi, I'm glad you got in, hopefully it will heal up nicely for you before teh big day!

Ok, so I think i've got one, too, that developed last night. It's been really hard to sleep, and hurts with every move. plus i'm sick, so the coughing and sneezing makes it hurt. yikes! Feels like someone has a hot cow prod up my tush.

First sign of daylight I'm calling my m/w to ask what do to. I don't know how to deal with this and a toddler and my other responsibilities, you know? I'm 37w5d, so not much time to get this thing healed up.

Oooouuuuuch!

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#12 of 20 Old 07-30-2009, 08:09 AM

my butt looks inside out right now

I am afraid of what will happen when the baby starts to come

I am so glad this thread came up...

still trying to get a doc...maybe the walkin clinic if i can't get one...

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#13 of 20 Old 07-31-2009, 06:37 AM

Candi - just wondering how you're doing... tell me it turned out ok??!!!

I go in to the doc tomorrow to see what he recommends. I just can't function like this! (Can't sleep either. It's 4:30 and I'm doing a sitz bath.)

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#14 of 20 Old 07-31-2009, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Things are going really well actually.

The first night was really rough- it stung sharply where it was removed and there was a lot of bleeding. I sobbed when I had to go to the bathroom that night. The next day (yesterday) was much better. I felt well enough to stop taking the pain meds. Only had a tiny bit of stinging and not much bleeding. Going to the bathroom was not pleasant, but was not horrible (I didn't cry- just winced). Honestly it felt much like an episiotomy does the first few days after birth.

I am on the second day past and I feel soooooo much better. I no longer hurts all the time like I did before it was removed (hurrah!) and the spot is tender if it is touched, but otherwise it doesn't hurt at all. Only a tiny bit of spotting when I dab at it. I am feeling really confident that I made the right decision about it. Everything seems to be healing up really well. Things should be fine for whenever labor comes.

I hope that you feel better soon Michigan Mama- I understand the pain. It hurt so very much. I am glad to say I feel much better now. I hope that your doctor can give you some relief.

#15 of 20 Old 07-31-2009, 02:02 PM

I have had the same issue in the past and i get accupuncture done for it. Got rid of them! I also asked my midwife ahead of time for a prescription for hydrocortisone suppositories so if after birth there were any issues i could just start using them right away before they got too bad. The suppositories are the only thing that works for my internal rhoids. I'm 2 weeks postpartum and so far i'm having no issues.
#16 of 20 Old 07-31-2009, 06:13 PM

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with that. Hemorrhoids have been the worst part of pregnancy for me, since the first pregnancy! There's no pain quite like them! Not even labor, in my opinion!
My biggest fear is having a hemorrhoid when I go into labor and having to push the baby out with a horrendous hemorrhoid mucking up the experience. I'm just loading up on stool softeners and things I know make my stool come out easiest and avoiding them at all costs. I heard if you labor on your side, it won't aggravate your hemorrhoids as much.
Good luck in what you decide. Since you're wanting to VBAC, maybe you can have the surgery done immediately, since there's a chance you'll go into labor after your due date (since it's natural). You could potentially have two more weeks to recover before labor?

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#17 of 20 Old 08-01-2009, 01:25 PM

OK, so I had mine opened yesterday (the big one, anyway), and it still hurts, but I can walk and move a bit better now. I'm going to try to take it easy so the other ones don't progess further and the one they lanced will continue to heal. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll be rid of them until after the baby's born and the pressure is relieved! I got a big hemorrhoid from birthing ds1, so I'm prepared for that. But hopefully with some counter pressure there it will help.

Thanks for the tip about laboring in sidelying.

And Candi - I hope you are holding your sweet baby by now and that ole 'roid' was no issue for you!

#18 of 20 Old 08-02-2009, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter

Had my baby on Friday :

No real problems with the removed hemorrhoid spot (though it only had 2 days to heal before birth). It did bleed a bit, but stopped very quickly and now is just tender again. No complications at all- thank goodness.

#19 of 20 Old 08-03-2009, 01:46 AM

Congrats on your baby boy! I'm glad everything went well.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#20 of 20 Old 09-01-2014, 09:04 PM

My experience with thrombosed hemmorhoid during week 33 of pregnancy

I just wanted to put my experience out there on forums since getting a thrombosed hemorrhoid is pretty intense and kind of scary at first. I found it to be more painful than labor in some ways, since you don't get all that adrenaline to go w/ the severe pinching pain.

I was at week 33 of my second pregnancy (29 years old), I had spent quite a lot of time walking around the weeks beforehand (my groin was sore pretty much every time I got up) and then had really severe constipation the days before mine popped out. I did have some internal hemorrhoid stuff going on a few weeks before, so I should've known to take my stool softeners every day instead of just assuming things would be fine. Had I realized they could get like that, I would've been more careful!

It was a Friday night, and I could feel it coming out, but it was still soft enough to push back in and it wasn't too painful, so I wasn't really worried about it. But by Saturday afternoon, it was no longer going back inside and was getting hard. It was about the size of a small/medium grape. I could feel the little clots that had developed inside the bubble and around the inside of the anus (they felt like little ball bearings). I really didn't want to go through the embarrassment of showing a doctor or nurse, but it was so painful I called my gyno, whom was unavailable on weekends unless you're in labor or it's a life threatening emergency. Then called the only urgent care facility in the area and they refused to see me since I was pregnant. So I had no choice but to tough it out.

After reading about the blood clot removal process, I'm actually glad I didn't get it cut open (which must happen within the first 48 hours from what I've read) because it sounded like most of the people who did go in had to go back several times to get more clots removed. And the giant novocaine needle they stick in your butt sounded pretty terrifying too. Then dealing with a cut and having to keep it clean sounded even worse. That first 24 hours was absolute agony though, so I can't blame anyone for wanting to relieve that intense pinching pressure.

Once I knew I was on my own, I went to the pharmacy and got preparation h, epsom salts, baby wipes, and witch hazel wipes. I found the preparation h did absolutely nothing, except make my skin feel more irritated. Same with the witch hazel, it just burned and made things itchy. Epsom salt baths at least 4 times a day and after bowel movements did help a lot though. I was also taking my stool softeners, which helped with the pressure too.

I wasn't feeling relieved enough though, and the hemorrhoid tissue was getting chapped, so I went back and bought A&D ointment (similar to vaseline, but mixed with lanolin and other ingredients) as well as orajel with 20% benzocaine. Figuring that anything you can put on the membranous tissue of one's mouth can probably go on the similar tissue of your butt. It worked great! I wished I had thought of it in the first place, it could've really helped during the initial onset which is by far the most painful part. What a relief to have it be numbed! I used the orajel no more than 4 times in 24hrs per the directions on the box, and used the A&D ointment after every wiping and bath. (Never use something that says "for external use only" on your privates or anal area)

On day 3 I actually sprained my knee and had to lay in bed, so I couldn't walk around anymore, which people say helps with getting circulation back into the area.

After about 4 days, I could see the black spots of the clots starting to disintegrate, and when I would wipe, there'd be a hint of red blood, and the tissue was less puffy around the enlarged vein. When I massaged the area, I didn't feel as many clots either. After about 6 days, I didn't feel pain anymore, and there were even fewer clots, but it was still embarrassing to imagine bending over to have sex with my partner as it was still about the size of a small/medium grape, though maybe skinnier since the soft puffiness was gone. I couldn't imagine having this thing during labor, because of potential rupture or having it get worse again. The thought of a skin tag sticking out forever bothered me too.

I had 6 weeks left and wanted it to start shrinking as soon as possible. I had some vitamin e supplements lying around, so I bit one open and applied it to the hemorrhoid. I found there to be a definite improvement the next day (day 7). Maybe just a millimeter or 2 smaller in circumference, but any improvement was a success. On day 9 of the hemorrhoid, it was more like a small grape, and the texture was softening around the enlarged vein, but the vein itself still did not want to budge. The clots were no longer there. I started using arnica extract in olive oil (normally used to help get rid of bruises) which made things a little itchy, but I think helped with shrinking as well by helping with blood flow.

I continued to use stool softeners, the opened vitamin e capsule once a day and arnica extract oil multiple times a day over the course of my 5 remaining weeks of pregnancy and the vein eventually did retract back into my anus. It wasn't completely gone by labor, but it wasn't sticking outside anymore. It did not get worse from labor, and after the baby was out, the pressure reduced significantly and it was gone as far as I could tell a few weeks later. I know other women who have had them who said their anus was never the same again, but so far a few months after birth I don't have a skin tag and I haven't had any problems. *fingers crossed* I will definitely take stool softeners if I feel myself getting stopped up for the rest of my life though. Lesson learned!

I am not a doctor, so check with yours before doing anything I did. I just wanted to share what worked for me. I think orajel for the pain, baby wipes for cleaning, epsom salts for swelling (the magnesium acts as an anti-inflammatory) and the vitamin e helped the most. Good luck to those of you going through this awful experience!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page