Can't stop eating ice! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I started craving ice about 3 weeks ago, at 35 weeks pregnant. I don't know why. This is my fourth pregnancy - my third child, and I have never craved ice before. My iron levels are fine. I'm clueless! My first two were girls and this one is a boy; that's the only difference I can think of.
I've eaten 7 pounds of ice in the last 21 hours. I can NOT stop. Anybody dealing with this too?

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

#2 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 11:28 PM

Been this way this pregnancy and my last one! I love it! I go and buy bags of ice from places that have the good crunchable ice. I try to cut back closer to bed- way to much peeing for that, but I crave it all evening! I also have no issues with iron levels.

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#3 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 11:32 PM

hmm I've been drawn to munching ice but my iron levels were slightly low.

It's kind of nice that I have a crown/root canal on one side of my mouth, because it means I can crunch more ice with out it hurting My dentist would shoot me if he knew how much ice I was eating

I am all about sonic (fast food restaurant) ice. I wish there was one closer to me so I could buy a bag to keep in the freezer!
#4 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 PM

And Whichwhich has great ice Amanda, maybe there is one of those by you- there is a new one in the woodlands. YUM!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#5 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 11:44 PM

Haha, I am sitting here eating ice as I read this.

I had it last pregnancy too. I ice.
I buy bags of it and eat it all day in giant glasses of wild berry zinger iced tea or water. I even take it with me places.
Yum!

Last time it lasted about 5-7 days past birth and then one day I got some ice and couldn't remember why I had thought it was so delicious. It hurt my teeth and was no longer tasty.

We have a new Sonic up the street. I've never been- I'll have to go check out the ice. :

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#6 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 11:52 PM

I'm chomping on ice as I read this, too!!! I started at about 30 weeks, had Griffin at 37 weeks, and although he is 2 weeks old already, I'm still chewing it, although not *craving* it like I did when I was pregnant. I heard that it was a sign of a mineral deficiency. It is so refreshing, though.

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#7 of 14 Old 08-11-2009, 11:55 PM

I, too, am an ice-cruncher. :

I have to watch myself at doula-births, because the hospital ice is my favorite.

My husband has perfect the art of what *began* as "ice crushing" and eventually evolved into "snow making." He puts ice in the blender and turns it to what can only be compared to snow. Then he puts it in a giant bowl and brings it to me with a spoon. Love that guy.

I don't suspect low iron levels, either. Just love a little snow.
#8 of 14 Old 08-12-2009, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydensmama View Post
And Whichwhich has great ice Amanda, maybe there is one of those by you- there is a new one in the woodlands. YUM!
Thanks for the tip - I think there is one near me! If you're ever inside the loop, waldos coffee shop in the heights and the hobbit cafe both have good ice It's like hospital/sonic ice

eta: DH said "what are you looking at?" because I was looking at the whichwich website, and I told him "someone said they have good ice" and he replied "well that is all it takes to get you in a restaurant these days!" My habit must be worse than I thought.
#9 of 14 Old 08-12-2009, 12:08 AM

I am not into the ice so this thread is making me giggle.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#10 of 14 Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 AM

You can put my name on the ice-munching naughty list!

I think it's just because it's hot outside, and the ice is so wonderfully cold, and I can't bring myself to drink any more water. So my body has no choice but to try and get moisture from ice.

Ah, ice. You are my friend.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#11 of 14 Old 08-12-2009, 12:33 AM

me too. I've been eating so much ice I have to make myself stop and have real food.
Yum.
#12 of 14 Old 08-12-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
I am all about sonic (fast food restaurant) ice. I wish there was one closer to me so I could buy a bag to keep in the freezer!
Amen to that! I love Sonic's ice! I'm not having the urge to crunch ice, but their ice will make me do it! I've been craving watermelon slushes during my pregnancy...may have to go up there this afternoon and get one (Happy Hour 1/2 price drink between 2-4 pm, woo!).

Mommy to Nora Cecelia, born 8/15/09.
#13 of 14 Old 08-12-2009, 09:12 AM

My iron is perfect. Midwife told me she thinks ice eating is a pregnant woman's way of trying to cool down internally when we are so hot with hormones and extra weight. Makes sense to me!

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#14 of 14 Old 08-12-2009, 10:25 AM

Ah Sonic ice..... its the best EVER!!!!! We're planning on stopping there on the way to the hospital once I'm in labor.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page