So how are those diaper stashes working out? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Sunshyn- have you seen a care provider about the stump? Maybe there is something that could be done to dry out that last little bit? Three weeks seems like a really long time for it to still be oozy!

I knew I'd have a big babe (mine don't come smaller than 9lbs) so I don't have a lot of "tiny tiny" nb dipes but I'll admit I'm a bit sad that the 3 bummies covers I have wont last more than a week! Sigh. Anyone need NB covers?

I love itty bitty babes in cloth dipes though... they seem so much more "baby" than the sposies (which we do use... huggies are "our" brand... if I feel overwhelmed, when we're out, and over night we generally reach for a sposie).
I need nb covers- how many do u have????

My son is really tny compared to my other boys and I only owned like 3 nb covers. He'll be in nb for a while as he just got back to his bw yesterday at almost 3 weeks.

Take care!!!!

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#32 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMindedMomma View Post
From what I understood, EBF babies poop is not really a hazardous waste that require disinfecting?

I use a very small amount of soap, like a TSP. When I use it.

Soap recommendations that I can actually afford anyone. Sometimes with the extra rinse they still irritate the baby.
Here is a list of all laundry detergents and what is good for diapers. Good luck!

http://www.diaperjungle.com/detergent-chart.html

Have you ever used water softner? I know the minerals in hard water can be irritating.

I have hard water and my second son used to get irritated from it.

Take care!!

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#33 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 05:57 PM

I tend to think anything that comes out of a butt needs disinfecting

I use Sun detergent. You can get it at walgreens usually if they have those where you are, and I think the Dollar store sells the powdered version, they are both VERY cheap and contain nothing but surfactants - no extra whiteners, brighteners, etc.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#34 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftworedheads View Post
sunshynbaby- you can go to the ped and they can use a silver nitrate stick to dry out and take off the cord. Good luck

Take care!
Thanks! We're going next week so I'll be sure to ask him to do that.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#35 of 41 Old 09-02-2009, 06:39 PM

Can't wait to start but I'm holding off - ds has a yeast rash (which thankfully hasn't gone any where else!) likely from the abx I was supposed to have and started but didn't finish (long story) from GBS. Getting better each day but I am scared to use the cloth with the cream and the yeast.

I love CD bums!
#36 of 41 Old 09-02-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
unless you have a washing machine with a sanitize cycle (like the kenmore he3t) I don't think the water gets hot enough to disinfect the diapers. I wouldn't feel comfortable washing my diapers without soap. you're supposed to use less soap (and as wombatclay mentioned, free & clear types can actually build up on the diapers) and do an extra rinse so that there will not be residue left to irritate the baby.
I wanted to post this for you... The link above had this information on the detergents it listed.. Basically it says, the detergents that are best for cloth and most detergents in general for that matter do not disinfect the diapers..

Do Detergents Disinfect?
Many people believe that a detergent is supposed to disinfect clothing or diapers but this is just not the case with most detergents. Detergents that contain something like chlorine bleach, hydrogen peroxide, iodine, will kill bacteria/viruses/fungi present in the laundry but detergents without these ingredients will clean only...not disinfect. Most cloth diaper users avoid the above mentioned ingredients because they are harsh on clothing and skin. When searching for the perfect diaper detergent for your family please keep in mind that most of the higher ranked detergents for diaper laundry will NOT disinfect diapers and it would unreasonable to expect such.
#37 of 41 Old 09-08-2009, 12:22 PM

We have been CDing for almost 7 weeks now (since birth). We love it! It is going great. We use prefolds with Thirsties covers during the day. At night we use AIO BumGenius. DS does not like to be wet so we have to change him a lot during the day with the prefolds but he does not feel wet in the BG, so he can sleep longer at night. It works out great. I have found that I don't like Bummies covers cuz they are really stiff, especialy the velcro. The Thirsties are much softer. My whole stash has been bought 2nd hand!

Interested in green living and money saving ideas? GreenThriftyMama.blogspot.com
Mama to my little dude
#38 of 41 Old 09-09-2009, 01:15 PM

We cloth diapered from birth (mec washed out no problem)... our stash is GMD prefolds, kissaluv 0's and Thirsties AIO. We use prefolds during the day unless we go out then we use the Thirsties... we use the kissaluvs for naps.

We dont really use many diapers though because we're ECing... yesterday I only had to change 4 diapers because of "misses".

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#39 of 41 Old 09-09-2009, 08:55 PM

I was love using prefolds, and really like them, but I tried my 2 yrs piles of diapers on my baby, and I must say, I. Love. Motherease One size on a newborn. They fit so well and I think they are winning over my love for prefolds.
#40 of 41 Old 09-11-2009, 03:40 PM

esbaby newborn dipes rock our world. Goodmamas at night for a peaceful rest. Loving all our wool too!

UCing loud mouth, Fierce Protector of King Aiden, King Isaiah and Empress Estella
#41 of 41 Old 09-11-2009, 03:57 PM
Banned

my baby already grew out of her one esbaby nb diaper, but I think it was the old style (side snap). Goodmamas are too huge on her imo, the back of the diaper goes like 3/4 of the way up her back!

Really, I am loving the prefolds. I have some Chloe Toes AIOS that a friend made, and I like those too, but prefolds are what works the best and never leaks, ect. I have a friend knitting me a ton of wool.

My stash is really varied becuase a lot of it was gifts when I was pregnant with my second child or random diapers I bought used. I have loveybums, muttaquin baby, sugar plum baby, patchwork pixie, kindhearted woman, and such is life, juicytoots, and other random nameless fitteds.

Chloe Toes AIO
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2424/...52e6a72e_o.jpg

Muttaquin Baby (these are my FAVORITE newborn fitteds. Too bad they are so hard to get...does anyone know if she is even still sewing?)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3434/...81c6cf55_o.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page