Mothering Forum banner

So how are those diaper stashes working out?

2K views 40 replies 22 participants last post by  Talula Fairie 
#1 ·
We start cloth dipes when the cord falls off so we've been in cloth a few days now. I'm 100% in love with my GroBabies! The bummies super wraps are already a bit tight on my chunky babe but the dappi covers are working well.

And of course... the diaper corner isn't as picture perfect as it was pre-babe.

So how is everyone doing? Any favorite dipes? Finding a routine that works for you? Pictures of adorable newborns in tiny diapers?

See less See more
#2 ·
We just started today. She still has some remnants of the cord but the stump fell off. H finally caught up on the laundry so we decided it was time. Abigail is sleeping in her first cloth diaper right now, a kissaluv ) with a thirsties cover. They are super bulky on her but look comfy. Other than that we have some XS Fuzzi Bunz and prefolds left over from DS2.

#3 ·
I started on the cloth the day we got home and have been using the prefolds exclusively with a combination of pull covers and wool. I can fold them anyway I need to and they do not interfere with the cord etc. So far they have held everything the little guys can dish out.

I did put one of the cute newborns on him though yesterday as it was the only one I could reach and I wanted to see how they fit. It was so cute and fluffy.
Should have gotten a picture.

We may need to switch to sposies though until I am healed a little more as I cannot do laundry right now and DH is going back to work tomorrow. We'll see.

#4 ·
We are currently using service and I love the cloth so much more then the sposies. I want to make some wool covers soon though. We have been using cloth almost at the beginning and am really happy with them. The only issue is we need to up how many we are getting this boy goes through a whole lot of diapers!!!!

Later when he is in a size a little longer we might look at buying diapers but right now this is going pretty good. I really do want some of the cute fancy diapers at some point!

#5 ·
I am so frustrated! He is over 3 weeks but still has a piece of the stump that bleeds if we use his cloth dipe covers. We are spending a fortune (that we don't have) on pampers. We refuse to let him sit in a wet dipe so he goes through well over 15 dipes a day. Plus he is growing like a weed so he will soon outgrow the cloth dipe covers we have without even using them. Argh!

#6 ·
Sunshyn- have you seen a care provider about the stump? Maybe there is something that could be done to dry out that last little bit? Three weeks seems like a really long time for it to still be oozy!

I knew I'd have a big babe (mine don't come smaller than 9lbs) so I don't have a lot of "tiny tiny" nb dipes but I'll admit I'm a bit sad that the 3 bummies covers I have wont last more than a week! Sigh. Anyone need NB covers?

I love itty bitty babes in cloth dipes though... they seem so much more "baby" than the sposies (which we do use... huggies are "our" brand... if I feel overwhelmed, when we're out, and over night we generally reach for a sposie).

#7 ·
We're using cloth more and more everyday. So far only the Mutts have fit him. I did all O/S diaps and they start at like 8lbs. He's 9 lbs now and just starting to kinda fit in them. We are trying Crickett's Fitteds out as we speak. We still so sposies at night tho.

#8 ·
'm so happy that things are going so well for so many of you!

Sunshyn, I just spoke to someone today whose daughter's stump stayed on for 5 weeks. I don't want to make it worse for you, just know that you're not the only one!

My own stash is working really well. The prefolds are bulky to fold down away from the cord, but DH figured something else that's working well. She's also a bigger babe (9lb @ birth) and the NB covers (the cutest covers by far) won't be fitting for long. Disapointing, but there was a reason I bought them used on Ebay!

So far we haven't had a single leak, slip, or blowout, and we don't even bother with covers @ night!

#10 ·
How are you ladies getting the prefolds tight enough around the legs? We're using preemie prefolds still and I can't manage to get them tight on her legs. Her legs are still so thin! She's in the low 7 lbs range. I tried a bikini twist today and that seems to work better, is that what all of you use?

#11 ·
We're using Kissaluvs fitteds and loving them! I tried a few of these on my older daughter when she was a year-or-so, and totally wasn't into them. But I decided to try them out this time because (a) I found some cheap used ones (b) I really wanted to try dyeing them
and (c) I liked that they had the little snap-down for the umbilicus. And I totally love them. A *tiny* part of me is wondering if I want to try them in a size 1 when she outgrows these. We also have prefolds and a few Gro Babies to try when she gets a little bigger (she was 10 pounds, but I still don't like the way one-sizes fit newborns...even ample newborns). We'll probably try those in a few weeks and see what we think.

#12 ·
We've outgrown our newborns *cry*
Right now we mostly grab for Fuzzi Bunz
Our boys have been in cloth 100% since we ran out of the disposables from the hospital LOL
I really don't like prefolds, so I use pockets or fitteds and covers. Our prefolds have turned into burp rags

#13 ·
my little man is growing slowly, he is only a little above 8lbs still (having his tongue tie clipped on thursday, please please let it help him nurse better!)

in order of how much I like them, we've been using thirsties fab fitteds (only have 4 of these, if I'd known he was going to stay wee for so long I would have invested in more!), bum genius cotton fitteds, and kissaluvs size 0.

for covers we have one imse vimse bumpy, 2 swaddlebees ABC wraps, and 3 swaddlebees fleece covers. I love the fleece they are so soft and make me want to pat his bum all day long

he is only in sposies overnight, other than that he's been in cloth since coming home.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
How are you ladies getting the prefolds tight enough around the legs? We're using preemie prefolds still and I can't manage to get them tight on her legs. Her legs are still so thin! She's in the low 7 lbs range. I tried a bikini twist today and that seems to work better, is that what all of you use?
We're folding the back down behind her so that it folds out away from her back. Maybe two inches. Then the two insides come in and fold over each other, legs come down, middle comes up, folded in pieces move out until they meet the sides. The sides come up and over the front, and the folded back piece overlaps the front and seems to give enough of an angle to keep things tight.

Then again, we have been having LOTS of nursing problems and only today seem to have them figured out. We may have a whole new diapering situation tonight.

HTH!

#15 ·
Prefolds- wellllll.... I'm not using any yet!
I just put a doubler in the cover, fold the front of the doubler over to make a second layer where a boy is going to wet the most
and fasten the cover. So far we've only had one leak, the fit is super trim and comfy, and it's a lot less wash/dry time. We have a variety of doublers... there are the ones that came with the Gro Baby system, a dozen kissaluv doublers with the pretty colors, some terry/fleece ones from a local WAHM, etc. and they all seem to work equally well.

#16 ·
We are now in 100% cloth, having run out of sposies - I used them (& some cloth) till the cord stump healed and at night when I was having a hard time getting enough sleep.

Mostly we have contour dipes. Some I made myself out of old doublers and recycled flannel, some are flannel/terry newborn size I got when DS2 was a baby. And Nikky, Niji, and Bummi Super Whisper wrap covers. I have one Litewrap which I don't like much.

We have about a half-dozen small Fuzzibunz someone handed down, and about a half-dozen small AIOs a friend handed down which I can't read the label on - but they're very nice. I keep these for the diaper bag!

Since this is our 3rd in cloth, I'm pretty comfy with our system. Sometimes there are minor leaks, but that doesn't really bother me much, for some reason. I'd love to have all AIOs (I don't really like fleece/pockets) but that's way too much $$$ to spend when I have perfectly good covers & contours which I do quite like as well!

Last time I remember I allowed myself to buy a new AIO any time I felt like weakening and going out to buy a package of disposables. I figure in the long run, that probably saves me $, especially since I buy used from MDC or Ebay!

#17 ·
Hi Mamas,
I love the look of our CDs, but haven't really used any yet. I got OS dipes (MEOS, Thirsties Duo covers, Gro-Babys, BG OS Organic, and a few Kushies Ultra-lights on sale). I haven't used any yet for real bc of two reasons.... skinny thighs on my LO, and the CDs are sooo puffy that her hips are wayyyy higher than her shoulders in her dipes if she lays on her back. That can't be comfy, can it? Or is it normal for CDs to fit newbies like that?
I didn't start CDing my older DD until she was 9 months old.......
I'm hoping to start CDing her full time within a week or two as her thighs puff out a bit....
~maddymama

#18 ·
Quote:

I have a chubbawub babe and use the bikini twist, I cannot get it tight any other way. I have to pull the back wings pretty tight around front too.. But then again, Anna was 9 lbs at her last check up and that was 3 weeks ago... It's tough when they are so teeny.

#19 ·
We are 100% cloth diapering, I have been now for almost 3 weeks. I settled on infant PF's with Thirsties covers. I am selling off her stash of newborn stuff now. I had so many things that just didn't fit her anymore.

We had no luck with wool again, so I am selling her newborn woolies too. The PF's I am using now are infant sized, I have white ones with green stitching and unbleached ones with the same stitching. I wash every other to every third day. I have 5 small thirsties covers too. I find the unbleached hold longer than the bleached although they are rougher on her sensitive bits. I use them overnight and for outings.

Have you all got a good washing routine yet? Like I said, I wash every 2-3 days with free and clear detergent (usually Arm and Hammer or Sun). I only use the detergent every other wash. I soak, prewash, wash in hot, then extra rinse in cold. I put the detergent in the soak so for the actual wash the soapy water is gone. I find it irritates Anna less. I also hang them to sun the stain but then throw them in the dryer to fluff them...

CAN YOU TELL I LOVE CLOTH??? HAHA

Anyone else brag to others about the cloth? I am so proud of it!

#20 ·
Mine works as good as it worked last time (I'm using the same nb stash I used with my second babe). I probably should have bought more covers but I have a friend knitting me a ton o wool, plus I have some AIOs that I recently bought which are working great. I also had my parents pick up some g diapers so I could use the covers with my cloth. They work ok as well.

My stash is about 20 prefolds, like 12 various fitteds (too many brands to mention), four covers, and 10 AIOs (Chloe Toes). Plus cloth wipes. All that and I still have to wash every day!

Oh, and other than a few g diapers which I only used cause they came with the covers I snagged (was the only kind of diaper cover I could think of that is sold in a store around here), my baby is in 100% cloth.

#21 ·
Quote:

My baby has average thighs, but my first had the same skinny thighs you speak of. I used bikini twist and rolled in the edges around her legs until they were tight. And, if nothing else, get a ton of PUL wraps and just tri fold since it'll leak onto the cover anyway.

#22 ·
Quote:

I have no idea if this will work on your babe, but here are a couple of pics of what I've been doing. If you want more pictures of each step just let me know. Good luck!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ucdbaue...n/photostream/

#23 ·
Quote:
I wash every 2-3 days with free and clear detergent (usually Arm and Hammer or Sun). I only use the detergent every other wash.
you only use soap every other time?!

#24 ·
The free/clear brands can cause problems with cloth (some mamas find they lead to more build up, less absorption, faster return of stinkies) so maybe the every other wash keeps that under control?

I use All free/clear though since it's the ONLY detergent that works for our family's skin and our funky water (lots of iron, super hard, sulfer... Charlie's Soap, Soap Nuts, 7th Gen, etc weren't working) and add Borax to each load. Luckily, the free/clear hasn't affected dd2's dipes so hopefully we'll be lucky with ds as well.

Our routine is pretty basic- I do a load of laundry every night (start laundry, take shower, finish shower, put stuff in dryer, empty/sort laundry in the morning). Diapers get rinsed off, sprayed with the bum genius "no diaper smell" enzymatic stuff, and dropped in the laundry with everything else. We have a HE front loader and I run a normal load on hot with an extra rinse. (with an older kiddo we use liners to make the poop more "plopable"
)

#26 ·
We are on our third day of cloth diapering and are absolutely loving them. Even my hubby is loving them. We have a wide variety, using mostly prefolds and thirstie covers throughout the day and our AIO's at night. I am glad I ended up getting quite a bit of velcro, because I thought I was going to like snaps better, but the velcro is so much easier. So far, I have washed once and I think I have my routine down.... *crosses fingers* we'll see.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.