Cedar is here - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 84 Old 09-07-2009, 09:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sorry if this is overstepping the line but I beg you to reconsider giving up on breastfeeding. ESPECIALLY if your child may have an intestinal issue. She needs your breastmilk to help her survive, it literally can mean the difference between life and death at this point. I know you are going through so much and it takes a lot of energy to even get yourself out of bed in the morning when dealing with such a trauma but please at least continue pumping twice a day to maintain some sort of supply. See the hospital's LC and ask for a pump, my LC at DS's hospital gave us a free rental pump to use for DS's entire stay so I didn't have to use the pumping room.

Please, I'm begging you to reconsider. Your milk is vital to your baby right now.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 84 Old 09-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jilian View Post
I'm sorry if this is overstepping the line but I beg you to reconsider giving up on breastfeeding. ESPECIALLY if your child may have an intestinal issue. She needs your breastmilk to help her survive, it literally can mean the difference between life and death at this point. I know you are going through so much and it takes a lot of energy to even get yourself out of bed in the morning when dealing with such a trauma but please at least continue pumping twice a day to maintain some sort of supply. See the hospital's LC and ask for a pump, my LC at DS's hospital gave us a free rental pump to use for DS's entire stay so I didn't have to use the pumping room.

Please, I'm begging you to reconsider. Your milk is vital to your baby right now.
:

Also, they have linked early cold turkey weaning to PPD. It's in your best interest as well to keep pumping.
#63 of 84 Old 09-07-2009, 09:37 PM

Hi Mama,
Wow.... you are going through a very tough time for you and your family. I am keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Please, please, please understand that the hospital staff has your baby's best interests at heart. My DD1 was in the hospital for a bit, and it was incredibly tough to "just stand by and watch" and not cuddle, hold, etc. Just know that the staff is there to help you.... please find an advocate to be on your side... to fight for you so all you need to do is love your family.
I am hoping that once everything in the hospital calms down that you can re-establish a breastfeeding relationship with your baby. I know that it might be too overwhelming to consider pumping on top of everything else right now, but please keep it as an option for the future.
Wishing you and your family all the best,
~maddymama
#64 of 84 Old 09-09-2009, 01:20 PM

Oh mama... I am so sorry! You, the babe and your family are in my thoughts!

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#65 of 84 Old 09-09-2009, 05:16 PM

Still praying for you.

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#66 of 84 Old 09-09-2009, 05:44 PM

oh, mama... many

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#67 of 84 Old 09-10-2009, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Just a quick update. She is doing a lot better. They started her on breastmilk 3 days ago and last night they removed her IV! They are saying if she continues to do so well, we may be able to take her home this week. I can't believe it!

I'm also scared. She's so tiny and all the what if's of having her home with us are in my mind. We are taking the CPR class at the hospital which is good b/c I need a refresher. But just the thought of her turning blue like she first did...and us having her here...it's scary. And she's just so tiny like a doll. We worry that DD won't be careful enough with her or something.

I feel like a new parent all over again! I know we'll get the hang of it soon, but it's just so weird to take her home now. We can't wait

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#68 of 84 Old 09-10-2009, 01:28 PM

Mama!
I'm so happy for the positive progress your LO is making. I hope she continues to improve, and I hope you continue to gain confidence in parenting a LO with some special needs.
Thoughts and prayers..........
~maddymama
#69 of 84 Old 09-10-2009, 02:20 PM

wonderful news::

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#70 of 84 Old 09-10-2009, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
I'm also scared. She's so tiny and all the what if's of having her home with us are in my mind. We are taking the CPR class at the hospital which is good b/c I need a refresher. But just the thought of her turning blue like she first did...and us having her here...it's scary. And she's just so tiny like a doll. We worry that DD won't be careful enough with her or something.
I remember feeling the exact same way when we got to take DS2 home after heart surgery. He was just barely 6 lbs and seemed so fragile to me. I was really scared. Keeping him in a sling helped ease my anxiety because I could keep an eye on him at all times. I also bought some medical equipment, it sounds silly but being able to take his heartrate, blood pressure, breathing rate, and temp made me feel like I was on top of things. Sleeping was difficult because I was nervous that something would happen while we slept so he slept next to me. In the beginning I woke up every hour but then was gradually able to sleep more and more.

Also, in my experience when I got home from the hospital is when my PTSD and anxiety kicked in. I was on auto-pilot for the entire ICU stay but then when we got home and he was ok the severity of the situation hit me and I was really afraid/sad/anxious for about a month. I cried a lot, like several times a day over the what-ifs. But talking to other moms here on the NICU forum helped so much. There are so many awesome mamas here who have been there so feel free to talk it out if you need to.

I'm so happy to hear that baby Cedar is doing well! : She is a strong and amazing little girl. You sound like you are doing better too. How are you feeling? I'm sure that being able to hold and cuddle baby Cedar has been a great comfort to you. I'm so happy to hear that you and your DP are holding her often. She's probably so happy to be able to feel your love. I'm sure the colostrum is helping a lot with her recovery too.

Thanks for the update!!! I'm happy to hear the good news.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#71 of 84 Old 09-10-2009, 03:14 PM

It sounds like your wonderful mama milk is working!
I have been following your posts and thinking about your sweet DD. Hugs!
#72 of 84 Old 09-10-2009, 07:00 PM

I've been following your posts and your blog. I'm so happy that Cedar is improving. She's a beautiful girl I hope things continue to look up and you are holding your sweet girl at home soon.

Sending love and light to your whole family :

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#73 of 84 Old 09-11-2009, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Cedar is home!!!

#74 of 84 Old 09-11-2009, 06:56 PM

Hurray!!!
:::::

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
#75 of 84 Old 09-11-2009, 06:58 PM

Wonderful news

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#76 of 84 Old 09-11-2009, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Such great news!!!! Best news all day!!!!
:::::
#77 of 84 Old 09-11-2009, 09:42 PM
Banned

I'm so glad she's home :

So what did they end up doing with her intestinal issue? Were her chromosome problems less severe than they thought?
#78 of 84 Old 09-11-2009, 10:07 PM

So glad she is home with you now. May she continue to heal and thrive...sending lots of love your way.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#79 of 84 Old 09-12-2009, 09:29 AM

Yay! So glad she's home!

read.gifLisa married to geek.gifB WAHM to moon.gifC (08.09)

#80 of 84 Old 09-12-2009, 03:31 PM

awesome! So glad she's where she should be. *hugs*

Mom to K and R

#81 of 84 Old 09-12-2009, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
I'm so glad she's home :

So what did they end up doing with her intestinal issue? Were her chromosome problems less severe than they thought?
Interestingly enough, it's a mystery. All I can guess is that it fixed itself with the power of prayer. The problems disappeared and she's been eating fine ever since they started her again on breastmilk.

No ideas for chromosome issues though. It's such a rare thing they had to send her bloodwork across the country to have it looked at by a top genetics lab. That'll take a month...

I feel in my heart that everything will be okay now. She looks SO much like her sister except half her size. It's so cool to have kids that look so similar.

Unfortunately she is nocturnal at the moment...I sure hope we get some sleep soon!

#82 of 84 Old 09-12-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Interestingly enough, it's a mystery. All I can guess is that it fixed itself with the power of prayer. The problems disappeared and she's been eating fine ever since they started her again on breastmilk.

No ideas for chromosome issues though. It's such a rare thing they had to send her bloodwork across the country to have it looked at by a top genetics lab. That'll take a month...

I feel in my heart that everything will be okay now. She looks SO much like her sister except half her size. It's so cool to have kids that look so similar.

Unfortunately she is nocturnal at the moment...I sure hope we get some sleep soon!
: Such great news mama, hope her bloodwork comes back ok and that you get some sleep soon. May we all get some sleep soon, for that matter.

My baby dd looks SO much like her brother(and my husband)...I'm very curious to see how she's going to look when she gets older, if she's going to look exactly like him but with longer hair, or what? It makes me laugh to think about it.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#83 of 84 Old 09-12-2009, 11:55 PM

so glad she is home!
My kids all look the same! I remember when I was in labor with my second we kept wondering what he would look like. Then he came out looking like his brother. My third and fourth looked just like their brothers too. Its kind of fun
#84 of 84 Old 09-13-2009, 12:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
so glad she is home!
My kids all look the same! I remember when I was in labor with my second we kept wondering what he would look like. Then he came out looking like his brother. My third and fourth looked just like their brothers too. Its kind of fun
same here. all three look really similar.

I always say "new batch, same great recipe!"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page