We are in the hospital... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anna is sick.

Her temperature was close to 102 and I finally relented that we needed help. Knowing what they were going to do to her because she was so young made it hard to drive to the hospital. I cried the whole ride.

When we arrived, I nursed her and then they tried to catheterize her. They were unsuccessful numerous times and then she peed everywhere and they caught the urine. Then they IVED her. They got blood for the bacterial cultures but couldn't get the CBC, so the lab tech came and pricked her heal and proceeded to fill a tube by squeezing the blood out. I nursed her the ENTIRE procedure. Then a chest XRAY, this was horrible, she cried and I had to close her in this little cast like thing and hold her arms and chin up. THEN the spinal tap... I would not wish this on my worst enemy. The Dr tried to tell me I HAD to wait in the waiting room and I told him that I was NOT leaving my baby. SO, I watching them bend my baby in half for 30 minutes and watch them TRY to get to her spine. It was horrific, but I never left her. I just kept saying, I am here Anna, Mommy is here and I love you.

Anyway, she is ok now, we have been admitted with antibiotics for the next day or two. She is such a strong baby and I love her so much. I am so sad that she is having to go through this. It is just breaking my heart.

So far all the tests look ok. But we are waiting them all out... Please pray for her to recover super fast....
#2 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Oh My how HORRIBLE I will be thinking about your LO. Please update when you can

Blessed with two BEAUTIFUL little girls: Kylie (09/06) and Maggie (4/09) :
#3 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 12:46 PM

DDC crashing.

Mama, and to your little girl.

Many prayers for a speedy recovery!
#4 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 01:00 PM

mama. hope everything works out real soon.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#5 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 01:52 PM

Oh, I hope she feels better soon. I'm tearing up just thinking about what you had to watch, and what she had to go through.

Mom to : July 2007 and : August 2009!
#6 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 02:52 PM

I hope everything is ok and she can come back home soon.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#7 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 02:56 PM

Hang in there... I'm so sorry you're all going through this, but glad your little one has such a strong mama bear advocate!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#8 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 PM

Praying for a swift recovery and strength for both of you

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#9 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 03:08 PM

I'm so sad for Anna!!!!!! I hope she recovers quickly! Hugs to all of you!

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#10 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 03:11 PM

s mama, we JUST go through the same thing: DS had a temperature on wed of 101.5ish and was obviously not feeling well, and so I took him in to see the ped on thursday as I *thought* it was thrush - it wasn't and as he didn't have a fever at the time we went home... but went to the ER that night as instructed when his temp got over 101. Luckily they didn't give him a cath, just caught a urine sample with a bag, but they took FIVE tries to get the IV in and 2 tries on the spinal tap - and yeah, that was AWFUL. Of course, by the time they got to the X-RAY he was upset but very tired and just kinda layed there... we were there untill yesterday ~12 - ended up being a urinary tract infection, so he's on amoxicilin for the next week But, he's feeling way better now.

Big hugs! Hospitals suck, and going to the ER is TERRIFYING - I too avoided it cause' I just didn't want to see DS2 hooked up to an IV, cathed etc... but it was definetly 'worth it' in the end - ie, he's going to be OK. HUGE hugs!!
#11 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 03:28 PM

oh my goodness. praying for you, Torre and Anna...

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#12 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oh mamma that's so sad. I hope you're released soon!

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#13 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 03:36 PM

I am so sorry you are going through this.

Hope you will be home soon with your little one and this will just be a horrible memory.

I will be thinking of you guys

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#14 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

She is just so little, I cannot imagine what she was thinking. I just didn't want her to think I ever left her.

The pedi unit is quiet, it's Anna and a baby who is even younger. The nurses are fairly nice. I am just hoping they don't give me crap about co-sleeping.

I will stay up all night if I have to to just let her lay with me and feel secure...

Meanwhile the poor little one across the hall was left alone all night and day because mom needed SLEEP. She is formula feeding and obviously doesn't feel like she needs to be here. I want to run across the hall and nurse the poor little man.... JEEZ...

So Anna's fever has stayed low and she has not had Tylenol since around 6 AM. The real test is after around 5 PM when the meds have truly worn off. She has been sleeping for 2 hours now.

The Dr was rude up here. I see a Holistic practitioner and well, the other Dr's obviously do not like him because he is against vaccines. So the first thing out of her mouth was, My name is Dr so and so, your Dr is Dr so and so, OH the one who doesn't vaccinate... YEAH who says that? I was like, "He is my Dr because I don't believe in them either". SHe then cuts me off mid sentence and tells me that she isn't going to argue with me about it, then starts asking me about the swine flu vax.. WTF does that have to do with my 5 week old????? She was ignorant. She then told me I had to stay here 48 hours, I then told her I would be signing us out in the AM, after she has had her second dose of antibiotics, because I can give her tylenol and take her temp at home...

SERIOUSLY... I am ready to smack these people. UGH...

I just want to go home and lay in the bed with my baby and nurse her all night.
#15 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 05:33 PM

Sending lots of love and healing vibes to you and your little one!

Laelle - living my dream life : :, very happily married , and expecting our first : in Aug/Sept. '09 : : :
#16 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 06:08 PM

praying all is well

Natasha,Mum to many.
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." ~ Sir Winston Churchill
#17 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 06:18 PM

Oh my! I hope everything is alright! Stay with her and stay strong!

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#18 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 06:23 PM

Prayers for you and your lo!
#19 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Hope your little one is feeling better soon - it is so hard to see your child sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMindedMomma View Post
Meanwhile the poor little one across the hall was left alone all night and day because mom needed SLEEP. She is formula feeding and obviously doesn't feel like she needs to be here. I want to run across the hall and nurse the poor little man.... JEEZ...
Please be kind to this boy's family - you don't know the path that they have traveled so far. Parents of children with extended hospital stays suffer greatly - there is probably a good chance that her husband/family/nurses had to convince her to take some time away from her child to recharge and rest. Also don't judge the use of formula to harshly - you have no way of knowing if the reason he is in the hospital may also be the reason he needs to be fed formula. My DD had a short 4 day NICU stay and I will never assume that I understand the needs of other families that must live through extended hospital stays.
#20 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
Please be kind to this boy's family - you don't know the path that they have traveled so far. Parents of children with extended hospital stays suffer greatly - there is probably a good chance that her husband/family/nurses had to convince her to take some time away from her child to recharge and rest. Also don't judge the use of formula to harshly - you have no way of knowing if the reason he is in the hospital may also be the reason he needs to be fed formula. My DD had a short 4 day NICU stay and I will never assume that I understand the needs of other families that must live through extended hospital stays.

That's a good point. My son had to be re-hospitalized for jaundice at 3 days old. My milk didn't come in until day 5, so he really needed the formula because he was so dehydrated, his weight was crashing, and his bilirubin shot up.

Mom to : July 2007 and : August 2009!
#21 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 PM

I can so relate to how you are feeling, they did some awful, awful things to DS2 while trying to diagnose his CHD when he was just 2 weeks old. It is a horrible feeling as a mother to watch your tiny baby be poked and prodded when you just have to sit by helplessly. Be gentle with yourself. I'm sure it helped Anna to have you there comforting here during the scary parts.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#22 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 10:01 PM

I went through a similar experince when my DD was 10 days old and BOY was it hard hang in there Mama

Betsy, Mommy to DS (10) DD (4) DS (2) and DS (1)
#23 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 10:16 PM

hang in there - you have been so strong - my goodness sooo strong. you are in my prayers

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
#24 of 41 Old 09-01-2009, 10:40 PM

Sending prayers your way.. Just keep doing what you're doing, you're a remarkable mother.
#25 of 41 Old 09-02-2009, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

I heard a lot from the mother and the nurses about the situation with the baby across the hall, it is worse than I had thought.. I assure everyone I was not being judgemental without understanding and knowing facts. It is just hard to hear a little baby crying for his mommy and having her not be there because she is out chain smoking or too busy texting to be bothered.

I formula fed my first daughter.. I was not judging that, I am judging the fact that she ws too busy texting and smoking and making out with her boyfriend to care or comfort or feed her own baby while she was here... why bother?
#26 of 41 Old 09-02-2009, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

nak...

update:

last night was rough. Anna nursed every hour if not more often... I was so tired.

She still has a fever.got her third large precautionary dose of antibiotics this am.

This morning the students came in and were telling me we would have to remain here until her fever was gone. I told them that if this is viral she may have a fever for days and being a single mom I cannot be away from my daughter. If it is bacterial, i would absolutely come back and allow them to give her the antibiotics and stay the full 10 days.

So when the actual Dr came in she agreed that it was ok to sign out AMA because the next 24 hours are just observational and they are just covering themselves. She asked if I would agree to another CBC clood culture to see if her WBC count was high and I said absolutely. She then started talking about the difference between Western and Eastern medicine again and I told her, "I understand the difference, just because I don't vax doesn't make me a bad mom, I brought my daughter in for care as soon as I saw her fever, however I am quite competent to take her temp rectally at home and give her tylenol and I am quite able to drive her back if the results show a bacterial infection."

She was happy with that and so was I. So we are waiting for the CBC culture to come back and then we can go. I think we will both get more sleep at home and I can at least care for my 2 year old as well. Poor thing I miss her so much.
#27 of 41 Old 09-02-2009, 12:58 PM - Thread Starter

Oh and Anna and I send our thanks for all your well wishes and prayers.
#28 of 41 Old 09-02-2009, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaturalMindedMomma View Post
I heard a lot from the mother and the nurses about the situation with the baby across the hall, it is worse than I had thought.. I assure everyone I was not being judgemental without understanding and knowing facts. It is just hard to hear a little baby crying for his mommy and having her not be there because she is out chain smoking or too busy texting to be bothered.

I formula fed my first daughter.. I was not judging that, I am judging the fact that she ws too busy texting and smoking and making out with her boyfriend to care or comfort or feed her own baby while she was here... why bother?
Wow. If the nurses told you anything about that baby's situation that would be a huge HIPPA violation. Honestly, if I was in your situarion I would not assume that I knew everything that was going on with that baby and the mom - everyone reacts differently to the stress of a hospitalized child and maybe taking smoke breaks is her way to destress.

Hope your little one is feeling better.
#29 of 41 Old 09-02-2009, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
Wow. If the nurses told you anything about that baby's situation that would be a huge HIPPA violation. Honestly, if I was in your situarion I would not assume that I knew everything that was going on with that baby and the mom - everyone reacts differently to the stress of a hospitalized child and maybe taking smoke breaks is her way to destress.

Hope your little one is feeling better.
Ok, it seems no matter what the situation is, you are going to think I am wrong, Everyone judges sometimes, I judged and I think she was wrong. I guarentee most other moms witnessing what I did would feel the same way. The nurses didn't tell me anything, I can hear, I have ears. Leaving your sick baby to smoke isn't cool in my book, sitting in the room and texting while the nurse has to come in to take care of your son is not cool. I assure you, from what I saw, there was carelessness going on. It is just really hard as a mom to listen to a baby suffer alone. This was not a NICU stay, it was not a prolonged hospitalization either, same protocol as for my daughter, he was on droplets precautions and had the septic work up like my daughter, only he was MAYBE a week old.

Thanks for your concern about my little one.
#30 of 41 Old 09-02-2009, 01:13 PM

HIPPA violation or not the nurses talk and you hear things. I know A LOT about the baby that was next to DS2 while he was in the ICU. I know that the baby had a serious heart defect (HLHS) and his mom did not call or come to visit for 8 days and they called her and threatened to bring in DCF and start the process of terminating her parental rights if she didn't get in ASAP and you bet your a** that I judged her. I spent a lot of time talking to her baby and singing to her because I felt so sad that she was all alone and so close to death. I was pissed and so were the nurses and they did share info with me about the baby's mom. So I completely understand being pissed when you see a very sick baby being neglected. The nurses bust their butts to ensure that these babies live and they have no tolerance for parents who don't do the same. Rightly so IMHO.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page