~~Sept already?!?! weekly thread 9/1-9/7~~ - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 59 Old 09-01-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Heyla all!

Some mamas are still waiting, some mamas are newly "babed", some are sitting by their little one's hospital cradles, some are feeling like old hands with babes of a month or more! Diapers, breastfeeding, pumping, sleep deprivation, baby smiles, sibling snuggles, a future with pants that have zippers instead of elastic...

How is everyone holding up?

Any favorite "what to do at 3am while nursing" ideas? A favorite way to get a too large prefold onto a squirming newborn? A super simple yummy snack for older siblings that can be made with one hand (since the other is holding the babe and your brain is half asleep anyway)? NIP adventures?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#2 of 59 Old 09-01-2009, 03:48 PM

I am actually doing really well. I am surprised how quickly am recovering really. I was expecting it to be worse I guess.
Today I went to get the staples removed which was kind of a horrifying experience. I went with DH this morning to drop off DS1 at daycare then we had our co-op working morning before going to the doctors office. Because it was a unexpected section it was a doctors office I had never been to and at a hospital I would never go to. It was just weird and uncomfortable. I was also really surprised that they kept pushing birth control. Are you serious.... I was cut open a week ago and you think I will be having sex anytime soon. Also, the doctor who saw me first (and was the most pushy) said "well your period will be coming back in a few weeks" Not sure what planet she lives on. It took a year and a half with DS1. Breastfeeding is a great b-control for me . But now the staples are out and I am released to pretty much do whatever as long as I don't lift anything. I think we might go to the store later today. I feel so out of touch and not sure what we have in the house to eat. We have been eating out way too much so it will be nice to get back into the habit of cooking.

Jonas is doing great. Beginning to look more like a baby and less like a mix between an old man and a bird I can say that because I am the mom

He is such a strong baby. When I hold him he keeps pulling his head up to look around. He he super curious and want to look at everything. Nursing is going ok. I have some sore nipples but they are getting better as he is practicing his latch. He is doing well at night and I have been getting one stretch of 3-4 hours of sleep which is pretty surprising. I was not expecting that. I am just so happy that this whole ordeal does not seem to have affected him at all.

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#3 of 59 Old 09-01-2009, 06:52 PM

Hello ladies!!!

Griffin is 5 weeks old today and he's doing fabulously. He weighs 9 lb 6 oz (up 2.5 lbs in the last 3 weeks), he's sleeping well & nursing well. I don't need anything to do during the 3am feeding as he and I both pretty much sleep through it! I barely wake up and he hardly stirs. He's so laid back!

I think back on my first-born who was a "high-needs" baby with Reflux and I think of all the crying and vomiting he did and all the walking and bouncing that I did! What a change!

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#4 of 59 Old 09-02-2009, 03:20 AM

I'm so glad to hear that both your babies are doing well! Congrats on getting the stitches out, P!

Things are starting to look up here. Nursing is still super hard but a public health nurse came by today to help me out. I thought that hard, swollen, red breasts were a normal part of nursing. Turns out that the swelling was actually keeping her from getting any part of the areola (or the milk) so my breast just kept producing fluid that could never get anywhere.

So we have a new schedule that involves a lot of ice, a lot of nursing (as much as I can get her to do) and a lot of pumping. It takes well over an hour so I've let the spacing stretch out to about every 2.5 hours. So far, I'm completely exhausted, but at least we don't start every feeding with both of us crying anymore.

We have our one week exam tomorrow, so I'm hoping for a good weight gain for her and some good healing for me. I lost some blood at the birth and still feel pretty woozy after I go up stairs or walk too far (like, across the parking lot).

I just fed, pumped, fed, pumped, and fed for a little over 2 hours straight. I'm exhausted, blistered, and still swollen, but I think the babe is finally asleep. Sometimes all our nursing is for nothing because she gets almost nothing and I'm hurting too much for it to qualify as bonding. Oh well, this will all be worth it in a few weeks!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#5 of 59 Old 09-02-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Nursing is still super hard but a public health nurse came by today to help me out. I thought that hard, swollen, red breasts were a normal part of nursing. Turns out that the swelling was actually keeping her from getting any part of the areola (or the milk) so my breast just kept producing fluid that could never get anywhere.
Oh, honey, I know where you are - I've been there. Hugs. Hard, swollen painful breasts are the worst Your boobs will get the hang of it soon enough! Keep up with all the pumping, massaging, nursing, and cooling - you don't want clogged ducts or worse, mastitis! You're a trooper, mama!

#6 of 59 Old 09-02-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post
Oh, honey, I know where you are - I've been there. Hugs. Hard, swollen painful breasts are the worst Your boobs will get the hang of it soon enough! Keep up with all the pumping, massaging, nursing, and cooling - you don't want clogged ducts or worse, mastitis! You're a trooper, mama!
If by 'worst' you really mean the bottom and that things are GOING to get better from here, then I'll cling to that promise.

For the mamas who co-sleep, do you still make sure the LO is on his or her back? Addie really likes to sleep facing me when I'm either on my back or side, but take her head away from my chest and she gets really upset, or at least doesn't sleep very well. Plus, I've been able to completely surround her with warmth and love and protection for every single beat of her heart or firing of a neuron, I don't like having her an inch farther away than she needs to be. After nine months inside me, anything else just seems so far away! How do you do it?

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#7 of 59 Old 09-02-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
If by 'worst' you really mean the bottom and that things are GOING to get better from here, then I'll cling to that promise.

For the mamas who co-sleep, do you still make sure the LO is on his or her back? Addie really likes to sleep facing me when I'm either on my back or side, but take her head away from my chest and she gets really upset, or at least doesn't sleep very well. Plus, I've been able to completely surround her with warmth and love and protection for every single beat of her heart or firing of a neuron, I don't like having her an inch farther away than she needs to be. After nine months inside me, anything else just seems so far away! How do you do it?
Yes, cling to that! It will get better! And if it's any consolation, your boobs will do much better with the next child The first one is truly the toughest and most painful.

I cosleep (And have done so with all 4 kids), and I sleep with Griffin on his side, squished up in my armpit, with his head on my boob (his pillow). The works for us in our bed with my boob size & body size. When he is sleeping away from me (when I roll away after nursing him to sleep), I leave him on his back because our bed is very plush.

Good luck, girl! Ask any questions you want - many of us have nursed multiple children and would be happy to help out as much as possible

#8 of 59 Old 09-02-2009, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

I've coslept with each kiddo and they always end up on their side for at least part of the night. We do a loose swaddle (legs/chest swaddled, arms free) and I generally sleep on my side snuggled around the babe ... they sleep on their side facing me, often with my "bottom" arm looped above their head (they've all liked having the sensation of something on the top of their heads).

Right now though we're going through oversupply land (I have chronic oversupply, each kiddo has to figure out how to cope) so I can't side nurse. We have to sit up for each nursing session (ugh) but soon enough we'll be able to side nurse again and then Tor will basically sleep with his head against the breast all night long.

And ditto pp... hang on to the promise that breastfeeding WILL get easier. Your breasts will soften and it wont hurt and your babe will get big and chubby! It took a month for me to get "ok" with dd1 but once we figured it out, it rocked!

mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#9 of 59 Old 09-02-2009, 11:39 AM

Sarah, you're taking me back to how I felt about DD...that first child connection is priceless, hold onto it for as long as you can! I call DS my poor red-headed stepchild, but I do feel guilty because he spends so much more time self-soothing than my first babe.

To answer your question, we cosleep and I've always let my immobile babies sleep on their backs or on their sides, pillowed on a breast. For DD's first two months I slept with her head on the crook of my arm as I was a little nervous about overlying. Knowing now that I'll wake to every little cough and grunt, I'm fine with rolling away from DS. Poor little guy.

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

#10 of 59 Old 09-02-2009, 02:08 PM

I also coslept with all 3 babies and slept them on their backs of sides or sometimes I'd fall asleep with them laying belly down on my chest. DS2 wanted to sleep on his belly from the beginning but we waited until he perfected his rolling and then started letting him cosleep on his belly next to us. He slept so much better from then on. 2 yrs later he still only sleeps on his belly.

Breastfeeding DOES get easier. I dealt with painful engorgement each time too but it goes away and things get much easier. Cabbage leaves are a lifesaver if you have an oversupply, they offer so much relief when you chill them and put them in your bra. Just be careful not to use them too much because they are really effective at diminishing supply - many experts suggest using them for weaning.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#11 of 59 Old 09-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Banned

NIP! Don't even say it to me. It's a nightmare with nipple shields, let me tell you. There is just no discreet way to do it. Although the other day I had the baby in the Moby wrap while we were at the DMV (apparently you cannot get a birth certificate for your baby if your license is expired), and I took her out and used the still tied-on wrap to cover up while putting on the shield and nursing, ect. Still not super discreet but better than usual.

I like to watch Grey's Anatomy episodes while nursing at 3am. And then I fall asleep watching them and it's always an adventure trying to figure out where I was

Yummy snacks....hmm. We've been eating a lot of energy bars over here. I am teh lazy. Hubby gets them a lot of their food as well.

I won't use too large prefolds. Infant size at least. I fold the front down (inward) and then do the bikini twist fold. I'm an expert at it by now.

Baby is 2 weeks now and throwing/spitting up a lot. Also is pretty fussy at times, though that could be unrelated. I thought it was dairy (as was the issue with my other two) and I have almost completely removed it from my diet, and she's still vomiting. I did see some poop with a tinge of green too. I hope it's not an allergy to...soy. That would be horrifying indeed. I'm pretty sure it's dairy though. I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and cut it out entirely. *sigh*

I'm so....tired. But baby Emma is beautiful and snuggly.
#12 of 59 Old 09-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Banned

Anyone with preschoolers having problems with potty training regression? I know it's normal after a new baby comes but damn does it suck. I guess I will have to make up some potty charts. AGAIN.
#13 of 59 Old 09-02-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Talula- any chance it's a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance instead of a food sensitivity? Tor is almost two weeks old and my oversupply has taken off... he's figuring it out but it does make him fussier/gassier/urpier and his dipes show he's got a bit of an imbalance going on.

Actually, I'm in a bit of extra pain with breastfeeding... dd1 and dd2 both "solved" the firehose letdown problem by pulling off during letdown until they were big enough to gulp it all down. Which meant I'd spray everywhere (including the ceiling and the far side of the room) and I never nursed without a handy cloth dipe to slap over the exposed nipple to hopefully prevent a full force milk bath. But Tor has discovered he can control the flow by clamping down on the nipple during let down! OUCH!!! He only does it during letdown so about 7-10 "sucks" but it's a serious youch and I'm not sure what to do. Hopefully he grows out of it soon.

#14 of 59 Old 09-02-2009, 05:52 PM
Banned

Possible but unlikely. My supply has regulated pretty quickly this time around, so oversupply has not been a big issue. I feed only one breast at a time and she seems to empty the breast just fine. I really don't think it's a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance considering all the factors, such as my first two having a sensitivity to dairy, fussiness, and vomiting.

My first had a massive rash, green frothy poop, and was super fussy. Stopped dairy at the suggestion of the LC and she was a new baby within a week. Second was fussy, vomited and spit up a lot, had ear infections. LC suggested again stopping dairy and all the problems went away. I guess it's possible this one doesn't have a food sensitivity (oh how I hope that is the case) but I kinda doubt it. Meh.
#15 of 59 Old 09-02-2009, 06:01 PM

Good to hear how everyone is doing! I agree, hang in there-breastfeeding gets so much easier if you can just hang in there a couple months.

Things are going really well here. I felt better the day after having my baby that I did for the last few months pregnant. No tearing, no swelling, my nipples hurt for like 2 hours and then got used to the baby. I have been making myself rest, though. I really am getting my energy back but feel like I need to take it slow still. I am 9 days pp, is it okay to start going up/down the stairs a few times a day and cleaning the house? My friend seems to think no, but I feel okay....

Overall, I am in disbelief because Amelia is so easy. She sleeps through the night, sleeps much of the day, but has several hour periods where she is very alert and looking around peacefully. I even took her to the dr yestrday bc I could not believe how easy she is! We thought ds was easy, but he could never make himself burp so he got fussy until he could pass gas. Plus, he liked to nurse while he slept and he nursed all the time. This baby nurses while awake and can burp easily by herself lying down.

Dh, on the other hand, has been having a hard time adjusting. He is doing a little better now that he is back to work half time, but he was getting really childish about having to take care of me. :

I think some guys just can't get used to that kind of care giving role, you know? So who cares that our house is disgusting, at least I don't have to go down to the kitchen very often But still, I had to deal with having to emotionally take care of dh the first few days when I wanted to be the one being taken care of. I am letting it go for now, and will return to it down the line, maybe in couples therapy. But it is ridiculous that there are three grown adults in this house (my mom is still here), one on bedrest, one working half time, and one other, and the house is still this bad. Seriously.

Here are some recent photos of my sweet Amelia if anyone wants to see.
#16 of 59 Old 09-02-2009, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Talula- ah well... sorry about the dairy! DD1 has sensitivities and I was so thrilled when dd2 didn't seem to need any dietary adjustments on my part. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that ds is ok with "generic" breastmilk too.

Spring- awwwwwww. Too cute!

#17 of 59 Old 09-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Banned

Spring Sun, can you pass a little of that to my baby, plz? She keeps me up all night.
#18 of 59 Old 09-03-2009, 03:00 PM

Finnian is 3 weeks today. We are doing really well. I am not crying everyday anymore, no PP hormones must be evening out. I had no tearing, but I have pelvic area pain, like in my groin which is much better now. Dh is off until middle of Novemeber and is getting into a groove, but it had some kinks. Day 4 was not a good day, LOL. He usually works so much he had no idea our routine and the big kids place in it all. Eiley is doing well w/ the adjustment and getting love from so many in the house she is just as content and happy as before. Innish needs to be potty trained. That is dh's job while off so we might start that in a couple of weeks. We are off school until October 5th, so I am just eating , sleeping, and nursing. Finnian sleeps very well, waking once in the night.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#19 of 59 Old 09-03-2009, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter

We had our first bath this morning! Here and here. He loved it, but as it was his first time in the tub (and the first time I'd used a tub like this so I over filled it, ooops) it was short.

#20 of 59 Old 09-03-2009, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
We had our first bath this morning! Here and here. He loved it, but as it was his first time in the tub (and the first time I'd used a tub like this so I over filled it, ooops) it was short.
Oh, he is so cute!!!
#21 of 59 Old 09-03-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Right now though we're going through oversupply land (I have chronic oversupply, each kiddo has to figure out how to cope) so I can't side nurse. We have to sit up for each nursing session (ugh) but soon enough we'll be able to side nurse again and then Tor will basically sleep with his head against the breast all night long.
I am so glad I am not the only one. Oversupply can really inhibit you.

I got in touch with the local milk bank today and am going to be donating. This will make it less of a pain in my @## to pump 20+ ounces a day that we don't need!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#22 of 59 Old 09-03-2009, 08:40 PM

10 days here, and ajusting this week to being a mom of three. Babe sleeps better than my other two boys, only waking 2-3 times instead of every 2 hours like clock work. Most of the time he is happy when awake, but seems he, like the others hates the car. Which gets worse with each child, as you have to go places for the older two (school, activities, etc).

Looking forward to the long weekend to catch some rest and zzz's and family time!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#23 of 59 Old 09-03-2009, 09:12 PM

Thanks for all the encouragement, I'll have to remember to re-read these posts the next nightime feeding when I feel like I'll never get it right.

Today's accomplishment: I am no longer trying to reason with the baby or get her to understand what I want her choices to be. So that's progress!

It sounds like everyone is adjusting well, and we are too. This is going to be a great week!

#24 of 59 Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 PM

I went through 3 weeks of mind bending pain when I was learnign to nurse ds. Finally an LC gave me some goodadvice for adjusting the latch and I switched to pumping for the better part ofa week. So overall it was about a 4-5 week adjustment. Hang in there - my second, dd, has been much easier. I suppose I have oversupply, but no strong let down reflex. Actually I haven't felt it at all this time. Perhaps that inability to move all that milk along while tandem nursing is why I ended up with Mastitis this time too. Ugh . SO except for the flu like symptoms things are going well.

I have noticed I'm not as clingy with dd. I had to have ds on me all night and this time it's not so much. I'm ok with using the nester and not holding her. I feel bad about it but strangly I don't trust my ability to wake on a moment notice, not that I don't have my instincts, just feel different. I think maybe it is because I'm craving deeper sleep cycles and with her in the nester I can trust the situation better. Guess I'm afraid I'll sleep too deep. weird to me. Maybe that will change when I feel better.

Also I have been experiencing weird body memories of the incision from ds. I have caught my self being cautious with my lower belly in the shower.. but the stiches arn't there. Kind of an odd reminder that the scar isn't just about the skin. Also having a strange time of integrating the VBAC... hard letting it in... hard to realize I'm on the otherside of a three yr long struggle to heal and overcome. perhaps there is a bit more healing to do.... babbling.

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
#25 of 59 Old 09-04-2009, 12:19 AM

Ouch! He is four weeks now and nursing has become so painful! I thought we were getting the hang of it, but suddenly I am in so much pain! He tends to yank sometimes, so that might be the culprit. I don't think it is thrush and I _thought_ we had a good latch. It is so painful that I can hardly stand to hold him up on my shoulder to burp him, and I've found myself dreading the next time he wakes up because I will have to nurse him. I'm trying to stick this out. It is getting really hard, and I feel sub human at this point, sequestered in the house topless leaking and in pain

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#26 of 59 Old 09-04-2009, 08:05 AM

on my way to the hospital.. hoping this goes ok :
#27 of 59 Old 09-04-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
on my way to the hospital.. hoping this goes ok :
good luck, you will do great

Pernille, Married to : mom to my 2 littel boys :4/12/07 and : 8/24/09
#28 of 59 Old 09-04-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Internet ate my big fat post! Argh! So very quickly...

Texas- good luck and best wishes!

Mastitis- sucks. Mothering has some nice articles about preventing/treating mastitis, as does the kellymom site. Glad you feel better and I hope you never need the info again!

c/s and vbac- The OBs I had with dd2's vbac feel that c/s (or any genital trauma like episiotomy or a large tear) can cause the body to "shut down" the pelvic/genital region in self defense. They suggest belly dance and gentle yoga like kundalini or svaroopa to help reintegrate the body. The increased blood flow, muscle toning/balance, and intentional focus on the pelvis/genitals along with the artistic/communal/empowering side of these activities helps on a physical as well as emotional level.

And the chiropractor who spoke to my ICAN group last month said that she can often pick the c/s moms out of a group even years after the surgery because their unconscious postures while moving/twisting/lifting circle around the need to "protect their scar". She feels that some of this is physical (uneven healing, learned muscle memory from the weeks of healing, adhesions or muscle/nerve damage) and some is emotional/psychological.

Tapping and EFT are often suggested for emotional release (and tapping is free/easy), chiropractic/maya massage are good options too if you can afford them, and belly dance/yoga can be done at home or socially as money/baby allow.

Which all boils down to "congrats on your vbac!" and "I have similar expectations of pain and pointless self imposed limits related to my c/s recovery even with two vbacs under my belt. I think it's pretty common for the healing process to last for years as new events bring up new issues." But congrats and happy healing!

#29 of 59 Old 09-04-2009, 03:47 PM

thanks wombat! still learning something new every day...

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
#30 of 59 Old 09-05-2009, 02:59 AM

Doe anyone know if it's normal for a newborn to be asleep anytime she isn't eating? She really isn't awake at all unless she's feeding. She'll wake up when we change her dipe, but then she just wants to eat and go back to sleep.

Maybe I'm just being neurotic because this is my first and I haven't been around a newborn in a while?

I think we've gotten our feeding problems worked out. We certainly have a lot of work to do with nursing, but we have a plan and seem to be making progress.

I'm trying to tell myself that everything she's doing is normal for a newborn, but I'm always nervous that it isn't. When do I stop being neurotic???:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page