I'm running a fever - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
about 5 days pp, my breasts are sore and engorged. "down there" doesn't smell quite right o me. I feel flu-ish, fever of 99.6F+.

thoughts suggestions? i have a 1st degree tear w/ no stiches, very sore, but my 1st vaginal so not quite sure what to think. Also headachy. Anyway, any ideas?
I'm on 800mg of ibuprophen, still feel weak and like doo doo. Tried cabbage leaves with minimal effect and took some emergenC and cod liver oil.

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
#2 of 15 Old 09-02-2009, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

make that 100.6F

#3 of 15 Old 09-02-2009, 10:31 PM

If your engorged I would pump to relieve it. And I would keep the baby attached as much as possible.

I would call about the not quiet right smell and tell them about your fever as well. You dont want to mess with infection down there since it can impair fertility later.

hope you feel better soon.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 15 Old 09-02-2009, 10:32 PM

oh, not sure what to tell you other than can you call your doctor or midwife? maybe give it some time (if you haven't already), and see if it gets any better. if not, then call.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

#5 of 15 Old 09-02-2009, 11:06 PM

I just got back from a visit with my mw for those same symptoms. I'm now on bedrest for a breast infection.

It sounds to me like a phone call worthy concern.

: I'm there with you!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#6 of 15 Old 09-02-2009, 11:25 PM - Thread Starter

101.4F chills.... going to bed, I'll call the dr. in the morning i guess

not totally engorged... tandem nursing helping, but I have large breasts that never get close to empty.

thanks ladies.

#7 of 15 Old 09-03-2009, 12:11 PM

Any news? It sounds like mastitis to me (or at least, that's how my bout of mastitis played out and I was tandeming too)...

Hopefully your care provider can take a quick look and help you feel better fast!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#8 of 15 Old 09-03-2009, 12:34 PM

yep sounds like mastitis. u may need antibiotics. definitely call!

Mom to K and R

#9 of 15 Old 09-03-2009, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

officially mastitis. down there is aparently healing fine but is not so much a deep cut as it is a raw area.

they were pretty impressed that the fever and chills broke through all that ibuprophen... and they assured me your not supposed to feel this sore and crappy a week after a vaginal. I wouldn't know so.... go figure.

can't wait for the head ache to let up.:

just started antibiotics

#10 of 15 Old 09-03-2009, 07:06 PM

I hope you recover fast mama.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#11 of 15 Old 09-03-2009, 07:37 PM

I had the smell down there when I had a blocked duct. I am 5 weeks pp, and still smell sort of funky down there. It takes a while for things to normalize again in that area.

Glad you know what it is and are getting treated. Hope you feel better soon.
#12 of 15 Old 09-03-2009, 07:40 PM

Glad you got a diagnosis quickly. I hope you get well soon.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

#13 of 15 Old 09-06-2009, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

guess what!? My fever is back ...99.9F seems to be the other side. I'm starting to feel awful too.

Last thing I remember hearing at the Dr. office was ...some people rarely don't respond and IV antibiotics might be needed but this stuff usually does the trick...

Yikes:

#14 of 15 Old 09-07-2009, 09:59 AM

After Bodie was born, I got mastitis at 8 weeks PP, and it was so bad that I had to try 3 different kinds of antibiotics and even did 2 of them at a time before it cleared up. Definitely call them back mama, mastitis is not joke and can make you sicker than anything else I've experienced. I was too sick to take care of baby even (still nursed him though, of course) and DH had to take care of him other than feeding. I hope it gets better soon, and you start feeling better!!!

Tenk ~ happily married with lots of kids

#15 of 15 Old 09-07-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenk View Post
After Bodie was born, I got mastitis at 8 weeks PP, and it was so bad that I had to try 3 different kinds of antibiotics and even did 2 of them at a time before it cleared up.

yeah mastitis doesn't respond the same to all types of antibiotics. do a google search and find out what the preferred types are and get your doc to prescribe you one of those. they usually start with amoxicillin and that is not the best one for mastitis.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page