Hoping to be out of the hospital soon! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-05-2009, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First of all, I have been lurking a ton and not sharing much since Charlie has been born. I want to send a big congrats to all of the mamas and babies that I haven't read about yet. I hope that you are all doing well.

Many of you knew about Dh's impending surgery. It was done on Wednesday when Charlie was 2 1/2 weeks old. Everything went very well. He ended up having to have his whole left kidney removed. The surgeon looked at his kidney for 20 minutes before deciding that it was best to take the whole thing.

Recovery has gone okay. The first hump to get over was getting bowels working again. For those of you who don't know, Morphine constipates and can make a person sick. Unfortunately, is mother took it upon herself to push his morphine drip button every 10 minutes (the max) for a while after is surgery. I finally got ticked enough to say something to her. She back of right away but, if she hadn't, I would have gone to the nurses station and said something.

Yesterday, he was sick all day. He couldn't keep even the tiniest sip of water down so they took him off everything besides his IV. This nausea was possibly due to too much morhpine.

Today he is much better but now his stomach is a bit hard and distended. So they are trying to treat that.

Our two older children have been staying with my mom and sisters. I have been able to spend some time with them but it's been incredibly difficult. I just feel so guilty because I haven't been with them very much at all. I have been going to my mom's to sleep of course. So I am with them then. This morning we all went to the farmer's market together so that was good time spent together. Charlie has brought me peace and joy though.

This journey have been incredibly exhausting. It's not over though. Hopefully we will all get to go home soon and heal together.

We also hope that we get Dh's lab results soon. I am incredibly optimistic that we are not dealing with Cancer but one never knows.

Married to DH 7 years and have three fantastic kiddos! DS 6, DD 4, and DS 2 ...... lo and behold another is on the way!

#2 of 7 Old 09-05-2009, 05:40 PM

Big hugs! Hang in there!

Do you have any books or experience in dealing with cesarean recovery? Any surgery that opens the core of the body will mess up digestion/elimination and so c/s books (or the c/s recovery chapters of standard birth books) have lots of ideas for helping people deal with the gas pains, slow digestion, morphine constipation, and general unhappiness you get when you throw your whole system out of whack. There are even simple exercises you can do in bed to help get the gas moving and the bowels functioning again.

I hope the test results come back totally clean and you're all good to go! Hang in there and huge healing vibes to your DH (and happy mama vibes to you!)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

#3 of 7 Old 09-05-2009, 09:26 PM

I'm glad it is over and hope that your H is feeling better and back home soon. I'm thinking of you and hoping that you get good news when the results come back.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#4 of 7 Old 09-05-2009, 09:55 PM

Many hugs and healthy thoughts. I hope you get good results and are able to go home soon!

Busy wife to dh for 5 years and mama to ds1 (11.09.04), ds2 (7.17.06) and ds3 coming Aug 09. :::
#5 of 7 Old 09-06-2009, 04:20 PM

been wondering how you are and glad you posted. keep us up to speed if you can, your familyis in my thoughts.

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
#6 of 7 Old 09-06-2009, 04:55 PM

Thank you for the update, I was wondering about you & your dh! Glad that he is recovering well and I truly hope that it is not cancer. Hugs to all of you.

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
#7 of 7 Old 09-06-2009, 05:38 PM

I hope your DH's recovery goes well. Enjoy your babe!
~maddymama

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page