Kind of worried - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2009, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I'm a new mom and I'm sorry if this is a dumb question.. but Asia is 8 weeks old on Wednesday. EVERYONE says she should be smiling by now but she isn't smiling much. I'll get like 2 or 3 smiles out of her a day if I'm lucky, and they still seem random. I am interacting with her a LOT and trying to get her to smile and I can never tell if her few smiles are in reaction to me or on complete accident.

Just wondering if all your mama's who's babies were born early and are 6-8 weeks are smiling yet. And if you more experienced mama's could tell me if I should be worried.. thanks.

Happy mama to Asia born 07/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2009, 08:51 PM

Totally normal, they will get more frequent.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:54 PM

ddc crashing to ask if you meant 8 weeks or 8 months? i figured since this was in the ddc you meant weeks.. but it definitely changes the answer of the question!

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
Old 09-07-2009, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

I meant weeks! Sorry typo, lol

Old 09-07-2009, 09:12 PM

DD is 6 weeks & I've seen lots of random/sleeping smiles and one "real, I see my mama & it makes me happy smile." She's my third so I sort of know what I'm looking for, otherwise could have missed it. Your DD is probably fine

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

Old 09-07-2009, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

So I was just making silly faces at her and I started making a straight face and then smiling at her and 3 times in a row when I would go from a straight face to a smile she would smile too. That cant be an accident, right? That's the most she's ever smiled! Oh, I just love it. Once she can laugh it's gonna be way too cute for me to handle...

Old 09-08-2009, 02:12 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacrymosa View Post
So I was just making silly faces at her and I started making a straight face and then smiling at her and 3 times in a row when I would go from a straight face to a smile she would smile too. That cant be an accident, right? That's the most she's ever smiled! Oh, I just love it. Once she can laugh it's gonna be way too cute for me to handle...
That is exactly the type of smiles I get.. It's not random, there's no way!

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My baby is 6 weeks and he smiles some but not that much. He was born early. My dd was born 3 weeks late, but she took months to smile.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:00 PM

my dd was six days late. she was insanely observant and alert from birth, but iirc didn't socially smile until three months. ds is nearly four weeks old and has been smiling at me for a while now. i think it just depends on the babe...dd was a serious bean.

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

Old 09-09-2009, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I spoke a little too soon. A few hours after I posted this she started smiling more, and then yesterday we even got her to giggle once! It was amazing! She's exactly 8 weeks today.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:11 PM

thats usually what happens. they wait until you start worrying and then show you they're just fine glad she is smiling for you.

User Tag List