ugh first hard night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-09-2009, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't get Wy to stay on the breast. It seems like he hasn't really eaten in hours. I'm getting engorged and express milk to soften things but he won't suck more than a few times before he freaks out and pulls away. I've got milk in gallons over here but he hasn't figured it out yet. Even with the tricks the LC showed us we're still having a really hard time... and dh is at work today and I've got no one to help me (we have someone coming tomorrow). last night was the first night things were truly a lot of work and today is no better. I'm just feeling frustrated and need a hug.
#2 of 3 Old 09-09-2009, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hugs! Olivine does this same thing if she needs to burp or has an upset tummy. You might try pumping his legs around (bicycles) to move any gas in his tummy or some really firm pats on the back. I would just try to relax and give him more time. It will pass, he will nurse. Stick with it!

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#3 of 3 Old 09-09-2009, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Amanda, that's hard. I had a similar problem w/ ds1 in the first few weeks. Sometimes IV fluids can also be responsible for engorged areola tissue (I'm assuming they gave you IV fluids during the c-section). Also it could be that your milk letdown is a little overwhelming to him and that's causing him to come off the breast. I often had to hand express quite a bit of milk before nursing to prevent that.
There is also a technique for reverse pressure softening. I always used the techinique they describe as the flower hold.
Have you contacted LLL? usually they're available to do home visits, sometimes just the support of an experienced mama can help.
It will get easier. Learning to breastfeed my first son was the most challenging experience of my life, and in the end the most rewarding relationship.
Try to nap and take it easy on yourself.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page