Dealing with Colic yet (or at all)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-11-2009, 03:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Asia has cried from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. EVERY NIGHT for the past week! The saddest cry in the world. And there is no consoling her or comforting her in any way. Doesn't matter what I do.. I try bouncing her, rocking her, singing to her, make sure she's changed, make sure she's fed, she doesn't want the swing, she doesn't want a bath. Db works nights so it's me here alone, and I don't know what else to try. All I can do is continue to try these things over and over while she cries and cries. It's hard, but I guess there are some babies that do that all day long, so I should consider myself lucky?

Do any of your babies have colic? What do you guys do?

Happy mama to Asia born 07/15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-11-2009, 10:18 AM

I feel for you! Our first baby had colic and cried like that for hours every day (from about 5pm - 10pm). It was TORTURE. We tried everything... and lots of things worked, for a few minutes, but nothing but sleep would really do the trick. Can you try to put her "to bed" a little earlier to beat the crying? Have you seen or heard about Dr. Karp (The Happiest Baby on the Block). In the end, it could be that only time will eventually get her through it. Our child did finally stop crying every day (around 3 mos) and turned into a delightful baby. Can you get someone to come over occasionally to give you some relief? Do you have the Sears book with the "colic hold" suggestions? HUGS!

mama to magical 6 yr old and a full moon Aug baby:
#3 of 10 Old 09-11-2009, 12:21 PM

My first baby had that. We had to learn to try to sleep when he slept in the early evening (7 or 8 until 10) because at 10 all hell broke loose. We watched a lot of Netflicks at 10 to keep ourselves sane, as long as we were up anyway. Some things that helped somewhat... the bouncy ball (yoga ball), walking up and down with him in the sling (sometimes with a blanket thrown over it to make it dark) - in fact, I can remember sometimes getting to sleep a few minutes if I eased down onto my pillow with him in the sling after walking a lot. The only thing that really helped was time - somewhere around 2 months, he settled down. then the teething started at 4 months, but that's a whole other story. In my experience, a baby who's super sensitive to his tummy and colicky/fussy is also sensitive to teething and is just going to be fussy for a while. He's now a delightful, adorable 3 year old and everyone comments on how sweet he is. Just remember that giving your baby what they need is the biggest gift you can give them, even though it's hard in the middle of the night!
#4 of 10 Old 09-11-2009, 01:54 PM

one thing that worked for ds the few times this happened was to put him in the sling and step outside... sometimes night air can work magic.

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
#5 of 10 Old 09-11-2009, 03:47 PM

Thankfully Nessa hasn't had any colic type issues. She's been easy to console, mostly just wants to be held.

However, when Ronan was little, he used to scream bloody murder from about 5pm-10pm, until he'd finally pass out from exhaustion. Nothing would console him. We talked to our Dr. about it, and she suspected that he might be getting over-stimulated. Basically he didn't quite understand what it feels like to be tired and what it means, so he would freak out and cry. We'd try to console him, which was just more stimulation, so he'd freak out more.

She suggested that we pick a time for bedtime and make a routine (put on his jammies, place him in his bassinet with the room darkened, turn on a little music (we had a mobile that timed out after 5 minutes for this), say goodnights), then let him be for 15 minutes. If he was still crying after 15 minutes, we'd check on him and make sure he's ok (fed, diaper changed, etc) and start over until he fell asleep.

The first night, he cried for 1 1/2 hours instead of 4. The next night he cried for 30 minutes, the 3rd night for 5 minutes. After that he would fall right asleep when we'd put him to bed, and was an awesome sleeper from then on.

I know not everyone is a fan of CIO of any kind, but this did really help us, so I thought I'd pass it on.

to Dale, : to Ronan (2-22-06) and Nessa (8-6-09), Monkey to 4 :, and geek to everyone else.
12/07 & 7/08
#6 of 10 Old 09-11-2009, 10:29 PM

The only thing that helps ds is gas drops and a car ride. The car ride works 75% of the time - he falls asleep and stays asleep for at least an hour, then he wakes a more peaceful baby. I'm so sorry that you are alone for this! When Dh finally gets a job I will be too and hope I can handle it on my own.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#7 of 10 Old 09-12-2009, 01:52 PM

I'm drinking chamomile (?spelling?) tea and it seems to be helping somewhat.... We've still had "episodes" of colic, but they are shorter in duration and seem to be less crazy than they were before I started drinking the tea. I drink two cups... one with dinner and one after dinner to coincide with the worst of Dd2S crankies......
~maddymama
#8 of 10 Old 09-12-2009, 02:31 PM

My first baby did that, often for hours at a time and I remember being really afraid that something was horribly wrong. He had such an intense cry and not much worked to soothe him. It would usually end with me nursing him a million times and him eventually falling to sleep. He was the baby who forced me into attachment parenting because he was so high needs.

I hear that gripe water works well but I didn't know about it with DS1 so I didn't get to try it.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#9 of 10 Old 09-12-2009, 02:38 PM
Banned

Hylands Colic Tablets. I swear they work.
#10 of 10 Old 09-12-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddymama View Post
I'm drinking chamomile (?spelling?) tea and it seems to be helping somewhat.... We've still had "episodes" of colic, but they are shorter in duration and seem to be less crazy than they were before I started drinking the tea. I drink two cups... one with dinner and one after dinner to coincide with the worst of Dd2S crankies......
~maddymama
I discovered this on accident but it has worked for me as well. Kings had a week of horrible fussiness. I was drinking the tea to keep myself calm and noticed he was completely calm as well. He hasn't fussed in like 3 days!!! :

Mom to K and R

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page