Gas help please! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-26-2009, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Silas has started getting progressively gassier & colicky. He is upset all evening, most of the night and now even during the day.

He will grunt & cry, then fart, repeat, repeat, etc. Sometimes. Other times he's just miserable and we and he can't get the gas out. He spits up a ton and is really hard to burp. I have been block feeding.

My DD was similar but didn't seem to be in so much pain (from what I remember), but we tried everything for her and nothing really worked- including no dairy & wheat for weeks- twice. So although I will try that again if nothing else works I would like other suggestions too.
I do remember chamomile tea seeming to help DD a bit so I will brew some up today and give him a small syringe.

We are up half the night trying to find comfortable sleeping positions. He is miserable all evening too. Has anything worked for you guys? I am both very tired and feeling so bad for the little guy. I also need to get work done at night but he has to be in arms (especially mine) and that is making it impossible- and I can't wear him to do it either. Thanks for any suggestions.

And, as a small aside rant:
I was told the 2nd one was a guaranteed easy baby if the first one wasn't! GUARANTEED! Ahem, not fair!

ETA: I know I am still luckier than you moms whose babies scream inconsolably. I can't imagine!

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 04:48 PM

We started using the Infant GasX liquid for her a couple times a day and it's helped immensely. Once we got the gas under control, she now only needs a dose every now and then. I know some people have had success with Gripe Water as well, there's a couple different kinds, we like the Tummy Soother version with the Disney characters on it.

Hope he (and you), get some relief soon!

to Dale, : to Ronan (2-22-06) and Nessa (8-6-09), Monkey to 4 :, and geek to everyone else.
12/07 & 7/08
Old 09-26-2009, 06:33 PM

I've been using Mylicon drops. I felt terrible at first giving her chemicals when I had been so careful the whole pregnancy not to take even a Tylenol, but she's sleeping better and feeling better.

Good luck! I hope you get some good answers!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Old 09-26-2009, 06:46 PM

I'm drinking a ton of chamomile tea which is definitely helping us. It seems to settle DD2's tummy down and help her rest more.
Good luck,
~maddymama
Old 09-26-2009, 07:13 PM

I'm sure you've tried this but when DD does the grunt/wiggle thing in her sleep, it often helps to roll her on her tummy - farts come right out! I'm nervous about leaving her there, though

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

Old 09-26-2009, 07:52 PM

We have been doing fennel seed tea super easy to make) for me and for her. And I am cutting out dairy, and I think that is helping a ton.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamabeakley View Post
I'm sure you've tried this but when DD does the grunt/wiggle thing in her sleep, it often helps to roll her on her tummy - farts come right out! I'm nervous about leaving her there, though
It does, and Dh is awesome at "farting" him. He would sleep much longer on his tummy but I am also too much of a worrier to let him be that way.
I finally broke out the swing today and he has had a good nap so far. Much better than on me.

Thanks for all the other ideas, mamas.

maddymamka and mamabeakley: You are drinking the tea yourself? With DD I gave her the chamomile with a syringe.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:33 PM

Poor baby Poor you, too!!! I do the Mylecon drops, the upright position in my Maya wrap, and the pacing, pacing, pacing ... I know how sad/frustrating it can be!!!!! I really like "bicycle" pedaling to work out gas

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
Old 09-27-2009, 09:32 AM

Aww poor guy & mama too. We are having the same issues here too. Along with gas, my guy only has a BM about every 4 days.

My midwife suggested fennel tea (drink as much as you can), catnip tea & chamomille.

Also, she suggested PROBIOTICS for infants. I got some yesterday, and just put them on his tongue while nursing.

I am also cutting out dairy.

So far I haven't seen any improvement, but it's only been a day or 2.

hth!
beth
Old 09-27-2009, 10:49 AM

Crashing from Sept. But I did have my LO Aug 15th, so my LO is 6 weeks old and gassy too!

We just tried gripe water. It seems to be helping , sometimes within minutes. The brand we are using has all natural ingrediants, called Baby's Bliss.

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

Old 09-27-2009, 11:40 AM

I'm using drops about once a day. Putting him forward facing in the sling sometimes gets a burp out.

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

Old 09-27-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post

maddymamka and mamabeakley: You are drinking the tea yourself? With DD I gave her the chamomile with a syringe.
I'm drinking two strong cups of cham. tea in the evening.... and it seems to help. It really takes the edge off of her tummy upsets (and probably helps me relax more, too........).
~maddymama
Old 09-27-2009, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

I will try drinking it too.
Last night I gave him a syringe (1ml) of chamomile tea and he slept next to us while we watched Wolverine without screaming! Just snuggled right next to us but not having to be held.

Had a bit of a better night too. I will be gobbling it down myself too, if that helps!

I gave my DD probiotics (mixed into the chamomile syringe) when she was an infant. Maybe I should get some again.

Bethcw: I think some probiotics are in a base that has some dairy so just be sure yours aren't, if you are cutting it out. That's what I was told with my DD.

Genomics Girl: We had a "bicycle" song we used to sing to DD while we did the bicycle movement when she was tiny. Since we've been doing it with DS she has wanted us to do her again as well. It's very funny.

Thanks again ladies for the new ideas and the reminders of other stuff.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:54 PM

We have a bicycle song too!!! Too funny

Glad to hear that last night went better for everyone!

Shannon, mum to ds1 (8/03), ds2 (6/05), dd (5/07), and ds3 (7/09)
Old 09-27-2009, 06:10 PM

Ugh, we're dealing with this as well. Mylicon doesn't help. Gripe water doesn't help. Some kind of herbal colic baby thing doesn't help. It's terrible. She just balls up in the night and screams. I am going to try the fennel tea and see if that helps, but I'm not sure it will since gripe water has fennel in it and that doesn't do much.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
Old 09-27-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Ugh, we're dealing with this as well. Mylicon doesn't help. Gripe water doesn't help. Some kind of herbal colic baby thing doesn't help. It's terrible. She just balls up in the night and screams. I am going to try the fennel tea and see if that helps, but I'm not sure it will since gripe water has fennel in it and that doesn't do much.
You could try the reflux meds she has been prescribed.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 09-27-2009, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri276 View Post
You could try the reflux meds she has been prescribed.
Yes please do give her the meds. My youngest had reflux and she screamed all the time until she finally got the meds at 2 months old. The difference was night and day. Reflux is very painful, there is no reason to withhold her medication from her.

Shawna, married to Michael, mommy to Elijah 1/18/01, Olivia 11/9/02, and Eliana 1/22/06
Old 10-01-2009, 05:09 PM

Well yeah, we are giving her the meds. They don't do crap for colic, though...just the spitting up.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raene View Post
Well yeah, we are giving her the meds. They don't do crap for colic, though...just the spitting up.
Raene, we tried the meds and they didn't do squat either. There seems to be nothing to cure the colicky gas issue. Which seems to be the reason he is up half the night and has to be held all the time or he cries in pain.

Hopefully they'll grow out of it soon! 3 months is often a turning point, no?

Old 10-01-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post
Raene, we tried the meds and they didn't do squat either. There seems to be nothing to cure the colicky gas issue. Which seems to be the reason he is up half the night and has to be held all the time or he cries in pain.

Hopefully they'll grow out of it soon! 3 months is often a turning point, no?
yes, that's in, what 2 months? I hope we can make it... Poor babies.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:51 PM

I think my boy is pretty gassy, but not to the extent of severe pain or needing meds or anything. There is one thing that I have noticed that helps us a lot, and might work with your little ones.

Whenever I hold him over the sink or toilet (ECing sometimes) it really seems to help him get a lot of his gas out. It's the position where his back is to my belly and I am holding him under his thighs where his knees are touching his belly. I can even hear the gas rumble through his belly when I do this. I also think sometimes he is a little gassier late night/early morning because we nurse side lying and I usually don't burp him afterwards... especially when I fall back asleep during.

Michele married to Dh since Dec 2000 and happily sharing a home with 3 kitties, 1 doggy, DS R born 8/25/09 into the arms of his mama, and DS E born 2/25/2012

User Tag List