Mothering Forum banner

baby carriers

2K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  ErinBird 
#1 ·
Hi Ladies!

I need opinions. Even though this is baby #3, I still have not found the perfect baby carrier.

So far, I have:
1. Mei Tei - the one I have fits very poorly - the straps are forever slipping off my shoulders, and the pouch is too narrow for an infant.

2. Moby Wrap - I cannot for th elife of me get used t ocorrectly wrapping 15 yards of fabric!

3. Peanut Shell - it is too small, and hard to get baby in

4. Ring Sling - cannot get baby comfy. THere is so much fabric I am afraid of suffocation! Also, I don't like that baby swings away when I bend down.

5. Baby Bjorn - This is the one I use the most. But, I would like something that is a little more snuggly, secure for little ones. Also, They tend to outgrown this at about 6 months.

I was thinking of an Ergo, or one of the other brands on this site.
http://www.milkface.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=12

Any recommendations?
Beth

See less See more
#2 ·
I have an Ergo and a Beco.
I really like both, although I think the Beco is a bit harder to nurse in- but much prettier!

I really like the Pikkolo on that site too.
If you like the Bjorn where you can face the baby out the Pikkolo may be your best bet b/c the Ergo & Beco do not allow for facing out.

Let us know what you decide!

#3 ·
I personally use my Moby the most until my babies are about 6 months old. I saw a carrier recently called the BABY K'TAN, which works like the Moby, but has a lot less fabric. I've never tried it, but it looks like a good design. Also I like that the baby can face in or out with the Moby. I had a Baby Bjorn for my husband, he used it one time and complained that his back hurt. After that he took the time to figure out the Moby and now wears it exclusively. I usually put mine on once in the morning and wear it around the house all day. I can take the baby in and out several times before having to adjust it.

When my babies get a little bigger I switch to a Mei Tai, which has been my favorite style. I also have an Ergo for this baby, but I'm waiting until she's 15lbs to use it, so I don't have a review yet.

The last carrier that I use sometimes is a Hot Sling (tube sling). If you get one that fits properly the baby will be snug in it and it shouldn't fall away from your body when you bend over. I never did like ring slings because of all the extra fabric. However, I can only wear a one-shoulder sling for a short time before my back starts killing me.

I just kept trying carrier until I found a few that worked for me. Everyone is different and all the carriers have a slight learning curve. Perhaps you can get a friend or a store clerk to help you try on carriers properly. Good luck!

#4 ·
The moby is very comfortable once you get the hang of it. There are good directions on the website.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE my ergo once my kids are big enough. I don't like the baby insert for the ergo, though. I use the moby until 6 months and then switch over to the ergo.

Slings hurt my back. I've never tried the mei tei.

#5 ·
I guess I'm no help - I love the moby. There was a learning curve to tying it, but once I practiced it got easier. I still haven't gotten the hang of BFing it, but I'm sure that will come with practice too.

Is there a local babywearing or AP group where you live? If there is maybe someone would let you borrow a carrier to try before you drp the money on another. I'd love a beco, but they're so expensive.. I'd hate to drop the cash on something that just didn't work.

#6 ·
I'm no help, either, as I love ring slings!!! I have 5 of them

I also love my Ergo for walking outside & at the mall
But you can't nurse on the move with it.

I also have a Baby Bjorn, but dh uses it most. Can't nurse in it either (although they claim you can).

I have a Kelty backpack for when he hike, but the have to be 6+ months for that.

#8 ·
currently in love with my MAYA wrap. The key to a wring sling is for me, tummy to tummy/tummy to chest and SNUG. the Maya has been perfect for this, a very easy ring sling...

I have a Moby as well, but still having trouble totally loving it. I have a knock off mei tei and two other slings, both closed tabbed. I am prefering the open ended MAYA alot.

we use our moby some at home but maya is easier now.

#9 ·
You have GOT to post this on thebabywearer.com. The mamas over there are super knowledgeable about this stuff.

Things I'd try: A Sakura Bloom or Psling ring sling. A babyhawk mei tai. Learning the moby (once you get it right it's awesome, try looking at how to videos or websites). A properly sized pouch sling (Hotslings are one of the first pouches and the best imo).

The type of ring sling really does make a difference though. I never liked them much (though I loved how they look) until I tried a psling.

Hope that helps.

#10 ·
Give the moby another chance! I think wraps are the best & coziest for carrying a newborn. There are a million YouTube videos for wrapping. Practice with a small bag of potatoes standing in for baby until you get comfy enough to wrap baby. (I'm a wrapper, can you tell?) I also agree though that the moby is best for smaller babies. If you find you love it, you can upgrade to a woven wrap that is sturdier for heavier/older babies.

I have wraps that I've used from 6 months right up to 2 years. They are kind of a one size deal that work the entire time you'll be wearing that child. They also hold their resale value really well (same goes for the Beco to a poster who mentioned cost) so you can pick one up and if you don't love it, turn around and sell it for close to what you paid.

I've also got an Ergo and they are good for when baby gets a bit older. It's super comfy with padded straps and waist, and generally DH-friendly too, as they come in dark denim, chocolate, camel colours, all fairly neutral.

I've got a couple of slings that are great for shorter carries, like the grocery store. I wouldn't put DS in one if we were going on a hike or something, but anything under a half hour would be ok for a bigger baby, probably longer for a smaller/lighter baby.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post

I also love my Ergo for walking outside & at the mall
But you can't nurse on the move with it.
Actually, someone showed me how to nurse in the Ergo and it's wonderfully easy. (Here's to the perfect stranger in Whole Foods who let me see how it's done!)

#12 ·
Thanks for all the input ladies!

I looked up the Moby on YouTube and WOW - I am giving it another chance. There are some great videos that really made it SO much easier to figure out!! I had ds in a cozy cradle hold in about 4 minutes last night thanks to a youtube tutorial!
I am still going to look at the Ergo, but I am going to make a trip into the city one day,to find a store that carries a whole bunch of carriers so I can try some one.

Beth

#13 ·
i have an ellaroo mai tei which i love for wearing on my front, not so much for back wearing as cadens head tends to flop all over if he falls.
i also ergo which i also love and wouldn't be without only 2 downsides i have are 1) it's quite exspensive, i would like to buy a 2nd so i have a spare for when 1 is in the wash.
2) if i wear caden on my front i find it hard to reach round my back to do the fastener.

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by GenomicsGirl View Post

I also have a Baby Bjorn, but dh uses it most. Can't nurse in it either (although they claim you can).

you can but it's a bit of pita as you have to fiddle about trying to move the straps out of the way

#15 ·
I have a maya ring sling and I can get the baby right in it and he can nurse descretly many different ways. I had a hard time at first, but now i really am good at it. It just takes practice.

But I love the mei tei. Mine has padded wide shoulder straps and is super comfy. It has such a wide pouch too o I never worry about himfalling out. And babe can nurse in it very descretly. Not all mei teis are the same.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by beckyand3littlemonsters View Post
you can but it's a bit of pita as you have to fiddle about trying to move the straps out of the way

and have smaller boobs than mine...lol

I was wearing ds in a rs (nursing) in hip carry

the woman who owned the babystore I was browsing in came over and told me that I was wearing him wrong...too low...he needs to be up on top of your hip or higher

i laughed and told her i was nursing him...and if he had any chance of getting ahold of that nipple he had to travel farther south than that....lol

boobie size has alot to do with which carrier you are comfortable nursing in!!!!

so far rs is the only one i have mastered nursing in....I can drop my babe down to catch me saggin boobies and then pull them back up to a comfortable carry posn

#18 ·
I love mei tei's - I've always found all the various slings/pouches to be uncomfortable for me as the pull on just one shoulder vs both. I have a Kozy and it fits me & DS2 perfectly. I also have a MOMtai that is a bit on the large side for DS2 yet... I'd love to get another babyhawk but don't see it happening anytime soon. Wraps always seemed like more hassle than there worth to me, though I do still have one (not sure what brand)

#19 ·
I JUST put Amelia in a stretchy wrap (like a Moby) and it is like HEAVEN. She has been fussy and cloikey for almost two weeks, and life has been stressful (I am also back to shooting full time and have also been busy with Karma Baby). I thought we were going to have another hard day where I am trying to comfort her and be with her while trying to get at least a tiny bit of work done, and I decided to put on a wrap and she is snuggled up close to my heart right now. I am totally feeling that seratonin let down lovey feeling that has been lacking a little the last few weeks. So awesome! We almost always jsut used the puch sling (obviously since we manufacture them!) with Elijah because it is so easy and quick to use, but I do remember using the Moby in the beginning. It really is perfect for a newborn. Sigh.

#20 ·
I have a sleepy wrap which is wonderful to carry DS in. He always falls asleep in it. I also have a ring sling that I made, but I'm not as comfortable with that one. Still working on getting things down right. I don't quite feel comfortable nursing in either of them, but I'm hoping to get that down eventually. The ring sling does seem like it would be easier though, and I made the tail on mine a little extra long, just for that occasion.

I've seen the Baby K'tan and it looks like a really nice carrier. I'd get one if I didn't already have a wrap. Maybe I'll convince DH to get me one with the next one to come. lol

I've been looking at more structured carries for when DS is a little older and can hold his head up. I'm very impressed with what people say about the ergo and really wanted to get one originally, but I liked the sleepy wrap more. There's a new one out called the Boba carrier (http://www.sleepywrap.com/index.php?page=boba) though and it looks like a mix between a mei tai and the ergo (imo). Since I've had such a good experience with the sleepy wrap, I'm probably going to try the boba when DS is old enough. =)

#22 ·
I use a Kozy carrier, ring sling and a Bjorn. I like the Kozy the best. You can nurse in it, it's cuddly and they can be upright.

I have nursed using a Bjorn, it is pretty easy, but you have to turn the baby and position things differently.

Take care!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.