'Co-sleeping is key culprit' in sudden infant deaths-AFP - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-14-2009, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Paris (AFP)

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/09101...mortality_sids

this new feed came up on my homepage i near choked!!!

scared the crap out of me!!!!!!

when i read on it seemed that the headline is just a scare tactic for attention grabbing

it seems to me that this is all old news...and directly linked to drugs and alcohol not cosleeping....

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#2 of 10 Old 10-14-2009, 12:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yup, and it's funny that we never hear about all the crib deaths that occur from faulty equipment, suffocation or a baby just giving up because it's all alone.. I've seen reverse studies that show that co-sleeping is much safer.. It's all how you look at the data.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#3 of 10 Old 10-14-2009, 01:29 PM

I did hear yesterday that having an overhead fan on significantly reduces the risk of sids. Has anyone heard that? We slept with the fan on last night and it was a bit cold.
#4 of 10 Old 10-14-2009, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Besides.. If 54% of sids deaths occur while co-sleeping then it's just as safe to co-sleep as it is to put your baby in a crib (not that this statistic is correct). If it's just as safe, we might as well do it and give our babies what they need.. Ha HA..

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11.  We are planning our next adventure to South America in April 2014!
#5 of 10 Old 10-14-2009, 07:13 PM

This really made me mad. How can they even use women who are drug addicts/alcoholics in a study like this? One of the top rules of cosleeping is NOT to cosleep while drinking or on drugs/heavy medications. It is not safe. period! So yeah, the results are pretty skewed in this study. Not to mention that a majority of women who co-sleep also breastfeed so if some of the women were using drugs and drinking then nursing then the babies were drunk and/or high and I'm sure that increases the risk of SIDS by a lot too. :

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#6 of 10 Old 10-16-2009, 11:36 AM

much better article
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...drome-children

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
#7 of 10 Old 10-16-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Sun View Post
I did hear yesterday that having an overhead fan on significantly reduces the risk of sids. Has anyone heard that? We slept with the fan on last night and it was a bit cold.
yes a 2007 study showed a 73% reduction in SIDS if there was a fan on in the room.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#8 of 10 Old 10-16-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
yes a 2007 study showed a 73% reduction in SIDS if there was a fan on in the room.
Interesting, I wonder why that is? We always have a fan on so I guess that is a good thing.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#9 of 10 Old 10-18-2009, 09:31 PM

yeah, i heard this too. It came on the news in front of my whole family! That took some explaining on my part. It's so stupid! Of course if you go to bed with your babe drunk or high an accident can happen! UGH!

Mom to K and R

#10 of 10 Old 10-20-2009, 01:03 PM

UGH... This crap makes me sooo mad.

As for the fan, my LO has been sleeping fantastic since we started using the fan...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page