Breastfeeding Burps - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-28-2009, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well...it's been 10 1/2 weeks and I'm still pumping. Nora is still getting primarily formula. I just can't pump every two hours...sometimes only 3 or 4 times a day. It's just not possible. Obviously, my already limited supply started going south. I managed to find the extra cash and got myself some Domperidone.

OMG! That stuff is freakin' AMAZING! I noticed a big surge after only 36 hours on it (I know it can take a few weeks for some mamas). I'm already producing over an ounce a day, whereas I used to make maybe 1/3-1/2. WOOO! Nora had her first 5 ounce the bottle the other day consisting solely of breast milk!

Here's the cool thing...even though it's not much, I make enough to keep her interested in my boobs for more than 2 minutes). I nursed her for the first time ever for 20 minutes the other day. I have to use the nipple shield because my nipples are still flat as a board despite 10 weeks of constant pumping. My husband shot some photos with his camera phone. I am so proud of these pictures and wanted to share. This is the very first time I have ever nursed her successfully!

Nora and Mama
Contented Nora

Here's the downside...her latch sucks (intentional pun). Seriously, she gnaws on me, probably due to being on a bottle since 3 weeks of age. I'm am consequently sore, cracked, and bleeding. Is there any way I can correct her latch? I should probably call the LC, but I don't know if we have the money for it. She primarily nurses from a bottle and I breastfeed her once or maybe twice a day. Is it possible to "teach" a baby how to feed from different nipples?

I've got lanolin and it's helped a lot, but I'm still very sore. Think I might get some of those cooling pads from Target.

Mommy to Nora Cecelia, born 8/15/09.
#2 of 7 Old 10-28-2009, 12:37 PM

that is awesome! good for you.

no idea about the latching.. post int he bf forum here. Go to a LLL meeting! They will help you for free vs paying a LC.
#3 of 7 Old 10-28-2009, 12:44 PM

Congrats!!!

I would definitely go to a meeting or see a LC, but imagine it is just going to take more practice (and unfortunately some pain on your part). Keep it up, though. It's worth it!!!

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#4 of 7 Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 PM

CONGRATULATIONS on a successful nursing session!! That first one brings such a high!

To answer your questions: Yes, she CAN learn to nurse from different nipples. My DD has had to nurse from me, a nipple shield, a bottle, and a pacifier since 3 weeks. Not all babies do that successfully, not all of them are interested/willing to even try. But it definitely can and DOES happen, so have hope. For us, it just took a lot of unlatching and trying again when she was gnawing. Also, my LC showed me how to 'help' her open her mouth wider.

My state actually has a free public health nurse that is basically THE LC for the area. She's come out to my house weekly since the birth. There's also a free breastfeeding class put on by the state, a great LLL group, and lots of knowledgeable midwives and mothers in my area. Maybe you can try calling around and asking about breastfeeding resources. There could be resources you've never thought of, and maybe more free/affordable options than you expect. I'd try calling a WIC office (they encourage breastfeeding so ours has an LC and they're very knowledgeable about resources), any midwives established in the area, and maybe a good pediatrician or two. Obviously, LLL meetings are a good place to get info too, but sometimes going and watching people successfully breastfeed is painful when your own nursing relationship is so hard. I don't want to discourage you from going, I just want to let you know that IF you're intimidated or discouraged by an LLL meeting, you're not the only one.

Good luck with the latch. Kudos to you for working so hard to give your daughter the best, especially through weeks and weeks and weeks of struggle. It's not easy, and it's not fun, but it sounds like you're doing a GREAT job.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#5 of 7 Old 10-28-2009, 05:28 PM

I'm sure the lovely people at LLL can help you with the latch issues...I just wanted to say I'm so happy for you! What a wonderful thing! BTW one of my best friends pumped/bottlefed for 4 months and then got her son to successfully latch (well) after that- it can be done!

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
#6 of 7 Old 10-29-2009, 10:39 PM

Go to a LLL meeting or call a leader. Congrats to you!!!

Also, it may be that she is slipping off of your nipple, what I do to help support the breast is to put a rolled up wash cloth or small folded diaper under the breast to lift it.

Also remember to bring baby to the breast and not to bring the breast to baby. That can make the nipples hurt as well.

You want to make sure she opens her mouth really wide, and that when she is latched that her lips are flanged out. If not, breat the seal and start again.

Good luck to you and your baby!

Jen

Take care,

Jen

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#7 of 7 Old 11-03-2009, 11:41 AM

Congrats!

I agree with pp... see if there is a LLL group or call a leader (it's free). Some WIC offices offer free LC visits or peer breastfeeding support. Some pediatricians have LC on staff or can refer you for a small co-pay instead of the full fee so ask your care provider about that. If you birthed in a hospital or birth center call them... some have LC who will serve clients who birthed there for free/reduced fee.

You are amazing! Congrats!

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page