IUDs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 14 Old 10-29-2009, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter
 
BlueMonday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what to expect from mine. It's been about a month now, and I thought I was getting AF when I started spotting about two weeks in, but now I don't think it was more than blood-tinged CM. Still getting pretty rampant EWCM which is kind of grody

Looking for other experiences/side effects to form a basis for comparison. And has anybody with an IUD started cycles again?

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

BlueMonday is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 14 Old 10-29-2009, 06:11 PM
 
texaspeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've only had the paragard for a little over a week. I was told to expect spotting - light period after the IUD was inserted due to it disturbing the lining. That isn't AF returning in the hormonal sense, just physical disruption of the lining. Yesterday I noticed EWCM and have some more today. I don't know if it's from the IUD or my fertility is trying to return (Wy has started sleeping 6 hrs at night some times, so it wouldn't surprise me).

Probably not very helpful since you've had it longer, but I thought I'd share anyway
texaspeach is offline  
#3 of 14 Old 10-30-2009, 09:05 AM
 
Lacrymosa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Utah
Posts: 301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got Mirena in 2 months ago bled for 6 weeks straight, and have been bleeding or spotting ever since. Also I feel super pms'y ALL the time ever since it was put in place... I really am not good at remembering to take pills and I know the shots make you gain weight so I'm going to keep it for 6 months and see if it gets any better.

Right now though.. not loving it.

Happy mama to Asia born 07/15
Lacrymosa is offline  
#4 of 14 Old 10-30-2009, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter
 
BlueMonday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 621
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbabymama View Post
And has anybody with an IUD started cycles again?
???

Am I losing it or did a link magically appear in this sentence in my OP? Is this a mod thing?

And I got a copper IUD, btw. Not sure if the hormones make a difference, didn't want to find out.

lips.gif mama to flower.gif n 12.17.07 and coolshine.gif j 08.13.09

BlueMonday is offline  
#5 of 14 Old 10-31-2009, 12:25 PM
 
chi_mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 557
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
I've only had the paragard for a little over a week. I was told to expect spotting - light period after the IUD was inserted due to it disturbing the lining. That isn't AF returning in the hormonal sense, just physical disruption of the lining
I had an IUD before my children and this was my experience then. It stopped after my first regular cycle. I did have more heavy cervical mucous the entire time I had the IUD (5 years).
chi_mama is offline  
#6 of 14 Old 11-01-2009, 02:19 PM
 
texaspeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynbabymama View Post
???

Am I losing it or did a link magically appear in this sentence in my OP? Is this a mod thing?

And I got a copper IUD, btw. Not sure if the hormones make a difference, didn't want to find out.
yeah theyd id a test of some embedded ad software or something. look in questions and suggestions for more info
texaspeach is offline  
#7 of 14 Old 11-03-2009, 11:29 AM
 
wombatclay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: running the red queen's race
Posts: 14,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
the shots make you gain weight
I had depo shots with no weight gain and no problems at all (no fertility concerns, no creepy side effects). But depo currently has a black box warning and they aren't supposed to offer it to women for more than a year... the bone loss seems to be permanent, unlike other hormonal methods where the bone loss reverses after you stop taking it. I know depo is really un-natural, but it was by far the best method for me, and I was sad that it's no longer an option on the table for long term bc.

Mirena/bleeding- some women do react that way (unending bleeding/spotting). Some women have the same thing with paraguard. If the pill isn't an option, maybe a once a month thing like the patch or ring? And there are those implant things as well, though those scare me a bit.

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

wombatclay is offline  
#8 of 14 Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburbian Sacramento
Posts: 4,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the Paraguard. I had some spotting for weeks after getting it in, but that's pretty much gone now.
Talula Fairie is offline  
#9 of 14 Old 11-04-2009, 03:05 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburbian Sacramento
Posts: 4,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
I had depo shots with no weight gain and no problems at all (no fertility concerns, no creepy side effects). But depo currently has a black box warning and they aren't supposed to offer it to women for more than a year... the bone loss seems to be permanent, unlike other hormonal methods where the bone loss reverses after you stop taking it. I know depo is really un-natural, but it was by far the best method for me, and I was sad that it's no longer an option on the table for long term bc.

Mirena/bleeding- some women do react that way (unending bleeding/spotting). Some women have the same thing with paraguard. If the pill isn't an option, maybe a once a month thing like the patch or ring? And there are those implant things as well, though those scare me a bit.

I was infertile for over two years after getting my last depo shot. Now, the doctor called my intefertility 'unexplained' and my DH has a slightly low sperm count, and we did go on to have 3 kids....but I definitely was one of the unlucky ones who had lasting effects. I also did gain about 15 lbs.
Talula Fairie is offline  
#10 of 14 Old 11-04-2009, 12:59 PM
 
wombatclay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: running the red queen's race
Posts: 14,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh yeah... I've heard from a lot of women who reacted badly to depo. And now with the bone loss it's not ok even for women who didn't have obvious unwanted side effects. But those two years rocked for me, and then we got pregnant as soon as we TTC following the last shot "waiting period".

(But I have really funky cycles where I'll bleed for 2-3 WEEKS at a time, sometimes with only a 4-5 day window between bleeding cycles. And cramps so bad I become dehydrated because I can't keep down fluids. I used to miss a lot of school and every now and then end up in the ER due to the bleeding/anemia/dehydration/pain. So I probably would have taken the weight gain if it came with the promise of no bleeding/cramps. Sad, but true.)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

wombatclay is offline  
#11 of 14 Old 11-04-2009, 01:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburbian Sacramento
Posts: 4,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
Oh yeah... I've heard from a lot of women who reacted badly to depo. And now with the bone loss it's not ok even for women who didn't have obvious unwanted side effects. But those two years rocked for me, and then we got pregnant as soon as we TTC following the last shot "waiting period".

(But I have really funky cycles where I'll bleed for 2-3 WEEKS at a time, sometimes with only a 4-5 day window between bleeding cycles. And cramps so bad I become dehydrated because I can't keep down fluids. I used to miss a lot of school and every now and then end up in the ER due to the bleeding/anemia/dehydration/pain. So I probably would have taken the weight gain if it came with the promise of no bleeding/cramps. Sad, but true.)
I am one of those women for whom depo completely stops their cycle. Completely. For months after the shot runs out.
Talula Fairie is offline  
#12 of 14 Old 11-04-2009, 07:26 PM
 
wombatclay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: running the red queen's race
Posts: 14,048
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You know that sounds heavenly to me, right? (it stopped my cycle, but cycles... and the non-stop bleeding... came back within a few weeks of the shot running out.)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

wombatclay is offline  
#13 of 14 Old 11-04-2009, 07:28 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburbian Sacramento
Posts: 4,712
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wombatclay View Post
You know that sounds heavenly to me, right? (it stopped my cycle, but cycles... and the non-stop bleeding... came back within a few weeks of the shot running out.)
The Mirena IUD is supposed to stop your cycles. If Depo didn't make you crazy the Mirena probably won't.
Talula Fairie is offline  
#14 of 14 Old 11-04-2009, 10:49 PM
 
dyehappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GA
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacrymosa View Post
I got Mirena in 2 months ago bled for 6 weeks straight, and have been bleeding or spotting ever since. Also I feel super pms'y ALL the time ever since it was put in place... I really am not good at remembering to take pills and I know the shots make you gain weight so I'm going to keep it for 6 months and see if it gets any better.

Right now though.. not loving it.
I'm going through the EXACT same thing. Not loving it at all, but my DS and DD2 are only 15 mos apart and we can't risk another so soon. I'm hoping that it will get better, I have a couple of friends who LOVE It. *fingers crossed*

"People who learn to control inner experience will be able to determine the quality of their lives, which is as close as any of us can come to being happy." -M. Csikszentmihalyi
dyehappy is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off