Teething already - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-03-2009, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jonah has several bumps on his gums and a white spot, he is drooling like crazy, chewing on everything he can, and is turning into an all day Mr. Cranky Pants. DH said he cried for half an hour straight and couldn't be consoled this morning (this is highly unusual for our good natured babe).

Is anyone else teething? What remedies are working for you?

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2009, 07:54 PM

I think dd may be getting to the teething stage early too. with DS I swore by Hylands teething tablets and occasionally tylenol - though rarely used. I will use Hylands again, no doubts

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
Old 11-03-2009, 11:09 PM

We have drooling here too. Mine usually get teeth 4-5 months.

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

Old 11-03-2009, 11:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Kingsley is working on cutting his 2nd tooth! The first I believe he was born with but we discovered it at 4 wks. He is a drooling machine too and also macks on anything he can get in his mouth. Crazy!

Mom to K and R

Old 11-03-2009, 11:59 PM

Rohnin has been drooling like crazy too. My first DD had 2 teeth by 3 months, and I'm thinking that Rohnin will follow in suit too. We also use the Hylands tabs, in fact I just picked some up the other day thinking he might need them sooner than later.

Crystal- aka "Momma" toLara Karlene 1-1-05 ~ Keira Skyler 1-31-07 ~ Rohnin Viper 8-12-09 & stork-suprise.gif March 2014!!!!

intactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

Old 11-04-2009, 12:24 AM

I cannot tell you how relieved I am to read this thread!!

I've been sure I'm going crazy but I can see some tooth buds on Adelaide's bottom jaw. Two little spots, LOTS of drooling, strange fussy periods, chomping like her life depends on it. She doesn't have a lot of control over her hands yet (she's only 10 weeks) but when she can get something in her mouth she chomps hard. She chews her pacifier more often than she sucks on it.

We still don't have our latch down yet (see the chiro on friday ), is this going to ruin our chances of ever getting nursing going?? Are my nips going to be bloody again? Oh gosh, I just realized that if she starts teething now, we may never EVER have nursing that doesn't hurt!
(those smileys are more fun than the happy ones!)

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Old 11-10-2009, 04:39 PM

Young teethers have extra challenges! DD1 had her first tooth at 4mo, and the "whole set" by a year. A friend of mine with a dd born the same week bottle nursed and her dd didn't get teeth till after a year. Sometimes life is just not fair!

Anyway, I liked hylands teething tabs... they melt really quickly and I'd sort of tip them under her tongue. Homeopathic Pulsatilla on it's own for fussing and crying, and homeopathic Arnica for swelling also helped.

I froze breastmilk into popsicles (I actually used a decorative ice cube tray and put the heart shaped "breast-cicles" into one of those mesh feeding bags) and soaked washcloths in breastmilk and chilled them in the fridge... she'd gnaw on those, or I could rub her gums with them.

After she started solids I chilled fruit in the mesh bag for chomping.

Colic treatments sometimes helped since she'd swallow a lot of air... gripe water is a blend of chamomile and ginger and "belly soothing" herbs. Just make sure you look for one without sugar or alcohol. And home made chamomile tea can be soothing as well (assuming no allergies).

However, I found that we did use baby tylenol now and then... I'm not a fan of treating symptoms instead of causes, but the cause of teething pain is pretty un-avoidable and only time is going to solve the problem so if babe (or I) needed the sleep or if babe seemed really unhappy I'd pull out the tylenol.

--dd1 used tylenol maybe 3-4 times for her teeth. dd2 though used it much more since she had a much much harder time teething... at a year she only had a few teeth, but each of those teeth caused weeks of painful swelling, bloody blisters on her gums, and in one case an infection that had to be drained. Her teeth would "erupt" but not cut through the surface skin. So YMMV and different treatments work differently for each kiddo!)---

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 11-10-2009, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Week update: We still have massive drooling and the occasional Mr. Cranky Pants. The white bump is gone. The bumps that feel like teeth are more and less pronounced day to day. The only thing he likes to teeth on is his or our fingers. We have given Hylands once or twice and I think it helped him to sleep durring a night Cranky Pants episode. I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of an amber teething necklace I ordered!!!

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:07 PM

I've wondered if Asia is teething. She has become incredibly fussy the past two days, and will chew/suck like crazy on her hands and our fingers. She's never cried like this before where she was un-consolable. So I really hope it's because she's teething..

Happy mama to Asia born 07/15
Old 11-16-2009, 01:22 PM

Loki will gnaw extremely hard on knuckles but refuses anysort of teething paraphenelia. Sucking on his shirt and leaving drool puddles on our shoulder has become one of his favorite pasttimes though.

Sami; Dedicated to Joey, 6yrs as Wife... already 10 as Sweetheart heartbeat.gif
"attached" SAHM for our spunky Leo boys twins.gif Loki & Joseph (2 & 5)

2ndtri.gif We've got a new addition - our first babygirl - arriving mid to late February! Life is good.

User Tag List