So much has happened - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This has been a rollorcoaster of a post partum. My friend flew out to help after the birth....and let's just say now we are not friends anymore.

Then I had this nasty reaction to my bf-safe med, Haldol. It's called akethesia and it's really horrible, basically like restless leg syndrome and a panic attack combined. It's a known side effect, but it was so horrific I had to stop taking the med and go on something else. Which didn't work. And my bipolar flared up from my brain chemistry getting screwed up stopping the Haldol, not to mention being hormonal/post partum. I was hospitalized and ended up going on Lithium, which is not nursing safe.

I never thought that *I* would not nurse. If I hadn't happened to read a thread on another forum about formula feeding awhile back, I probably wouldn't have even known how to do it. I am a huge breastfeeding advocate, organized nurse ins, may even become a lactation consultant in the future. So this is a big blow.

I know I did the right thing for my mental health, and for my family...but I feel so guilty. I keep thinking 'well what if I'd tried this med or that med' but the reality is I have been on everything and nothing else works. I have been white knuckling my sanity for five years, and in '08 I finally cracked twice...then got pregnant. Luckily I have a remission of symptoms while pregnant for the most part but not post partum.

I'm feeling better now but it's tough, it's just tough. I'm still not used to formula and it'll probably be awhile before I am. Even though I was having nursing problems (don't even get me started on that one), I am still sad about not nursing.
#2 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 03:44 AM

I haven't been on MDC in weeks and weeks and just happened to drop in tonight.

Just wanted to give you big huge hugs. We have a lot of bipolar in my family and I get how difficult it can be. Although breastfeeding is very important, having a sane and healthy mama is much more important. You are doing all that you can to be happy and healthy and to take good care of your family. In the end, your girls and your hubby will thank you.

Sending you much love. Hang in there babe. You'll be ok. I'm proud of you for doing what it takes.

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#3 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 11:29 AM

ddc crashing, but wanted to say hang in there! you are doing what is best for your family and yourself! Take care of yourself so you can take care of everybody that depends on you, especially your LO.

Momma to Samuel Wyatt 8/15/09 and our new addition Jack 9/25/11!   mdcblog5.gif  winner.jpgcd.gif

#4 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 01:12 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I can't imagine what you're going through, but I can offer a hug.

Have you looked into donated breastmilk? There is a Yahoo group MilkShare that helps bring donors and babies together. I donate my extra breastmilk to a lady that also can't nurse because of a medication. There are a lot of people out there willing to do the same. At least if you can't nurse her she could get the right food for her little body.

Good luck!

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#5 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 01:23 PM

HUGS Lindsay,
Bipolar is TOUGH... it runs in my in-law's family and I know that the right medication makes all the difference. JuniperMama posted some smart words about needing a healthy mama more than one who can BF. Listen to her. :-)
I know that not BFing is tough, but it sounds like you BF for a bit before you had to stop, which you can take some consolation in. Also, you tried, which is more than many mamas do. I don't think anyone blames/should make a mama feel bad who TRIED to BF and couldn't for medical reasons.
Can you create a feeding ritual which will help you bond with your LO? Like sing a certain song only when you give a bottle? You get to drink some special tea or something?
Good luck!
~maddymama
#6 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraisme View Post

I can't imagine what you're going through, but I can offer a hug.

Have you looked into donated breastmilk? There is a Yahoo group MilkShare that helps bring donors and babies together. I donate my extra breastmilk to a lady that also can't nurse because of a medication. There are a lot of people out there willing to do the same. At least if you can't nurse her she could get the right food for her little body.

Good luck!
I have. My local LLL leader has my name and phone number, she said sometimes she gets calls from mamas who have breastmilk to donate.

I may also have a friend or two who can send me some, but shipping on milk is expensive so who knows.

I need to do milk share, thanks for the reminder! I have been so overwhelmed I keep forgetting to join.
#7 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddymama View Post
HUGS Lindsay,
Bipolar is TOUGH... it runs in my in-law's family and I know that the right medication makes all the difference. JuniperMama posted some smart words about needing a healthy mama more than one who can BF. Listen to her. :-)
I know that not BFing is tough, but it sounds like you BF for a bit before you had to stop, which you can take some consolation in. Also, you tried, which is more than many mamas do. I don't think anyone blames/should make a mama feel bad who TRIED to BF and couldn't for medical reasons.
Can you create a feeding ritual which will help you bond with your LO? Like sing a certain song only when you give a bottle? You get to drink some special tea or something?
Good luck!
~maddymama
Well I always feed her while holding her really close, just like as if we were nursing. And she gets lots of skin to skin contact when I wear her in the sling, which is more often than not. I am not too terribly worried about our bonding per se, I guess I just feel...I don't know, it doesn't *feel* right to me to formula feed because I am so used to breastfeeding, I mean, I bf both my other kids well into toddlerhood. My second was nursed for 2.5 years.

I still do things like....go out and forget to bring a bottle. I'm used to always having food for the baby without having to think about it.
#8 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 02:03 PM

I am proud of you for taking care of yourself lindsay.
#9 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 02:15 PM

I guess bonding isn't the word I was looking for...... I was thinking of something special you could do while FF your LO so you would look forward to it and it would be positive and speical instead of "Oh, I'm not nursing you..." Make sense?
LOL, I'd forget the bottle, too...... if it were me!
~maddymama
#10 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 02:50 PM

I'm so sorry about the breastfeeding situation. I'm having problems going without meds for my anxiety issues, and I can not even imagine going without them for bipolar. Kudos to you for even attempting that. You are right that a mentally stable mommy is the very best, nurturing thing you can give your baby, above and beyond breastfeeding or anything else. You are doing the right thing!!!

Happily married mom to DS (Aug 09) and two furry troublemakers.

#11 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 04:46 PM

First of all, huge hugs to you and your LO!

I think a big part of being a good mama is taking care of your own health as well, so do not feel guilty for taking care of yourself. You need to be healthy for your children!

For starters, could mamas send you milk? So many people have oversupply and pump for milk banks. I think that given your circumstances, maybe you could start a site and get donations for the shipping? Or start local and expand? Just thoughts here.

When you bottle feed, I still think you can have special things you do like bottle feed skin to skin, for you to be the primary feeder of your baby. You could also use the bottles for bfed babies if that would help (breastflow, adiri nurser, etc)

You are an awesome mama! Please take care and keep posting!

Hugs,

Jen

Jen, mama to  (M-13, N- 10, C- 8 rainbow1284.gif J- 3.5, and rainbow1284.gifJ -2, angel3.gifA (10/4/07) and 3 early losses)
We are expecting baby #7 in November 2013

#12 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 04:46 PM

Christina, Mama to Salvador (3 yr) & Santiago (6 mo)! www.footprintsbaby.com Life has gotten too busy - Come shop our going out of business sale! Cloth Dipes & more.
#13 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftworedheads View Post
First of all, huge hugs to you and your LO!

I think a big part of being a good mama is taking care of your own health as well, so do not feel guilty for taking care of yourself. You need to be healthy for your children!

For starters, could mamas send you milk? So many people have oversupply and pump for milk banks. I think that given your circumstances, maybe you could start a site and get donations for the shipping? Or start local and expand? Just thoughts here.

When you bottle feed, I still think you can have special things you do like bottle feed skin to skin, for you to be the primary feeder of your baby. You could also use the bottles for bfed babies if that would help (breastflow, adiri nurser, etc)

You are an awesome mama! Please take care and keep posting!

Hugs,

Jen
A milk bank is totally out of the question, the money would be way more than we can afford. I already mentioned that I put myself on the list for donated milk with my local LLL leader, so if anyone calls her, she'll give me their milk.

I'll join milkshare but I'm really not feeling optimistic. People don't realize how hard it is to get donated milk. They act like it's this easy option and it isn't.
#14 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 05:31 PM

Your little one is so lucky to have you, L!
I've missed seeing you around here!
#15 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 05:36 PM

Lindsay, I'm glad you came on to let us know how you're doing. That can be really hard to do when it's not all pink cloudy. And I'm glad you are taking care of yourself, whatever it takes.

I know that as a 3rd time mom I struggle some with how each of my children have gotten something different from me - why couldn't I give ALL of them the best parts of what I have been able to give EACH of them? But I know I am and was doing the best I can/could in each case.

I hope someday your girls will admire you for being strong enough to do what you have to do to care for them!

Here as mama to W (2/04), R (5/06), D (7/09), and J (12/9/12!), co-parenting with my DH

I WOH part-time, am a doula & childbirth educator, home/unschool, and hope we are nearing the center of chaos

#16 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 07:11 PM

Hey Lindsey, yeah haven't heard from you on awhile on here or on facebook.

I am going through something entirely too similar and haven't been able to breastfeed since 2 months post partum. I STILL feel guilty and sad about it at 4 months, and I never mentioned it here on MDC because already everyone I run into or have mentioned it to (in person) have given me more of a guilt trip and tell me what a disservice I am doing my child and how I should have breastfed no matter what. Society is extremely judgemental when a woman isn't breastfeeding no matter what the reason.. I held off taking the medication as long as I could but me and John both eventually decided it was important I take care of myself so I could better take care of Asia.

Obviously I still have extreme feelings of guilt and regret.. it's really hard and I think I will always feel bad about my choice and feel like I made the wrong one. Anyways.. Just wanted to let you know I kind of know what you're going through.

And yes.. we have looked into getting donated breastmilk and it is MUCH harder than people think.

Happy mama to Asia born 07/15
#17 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacrymosa View Post
Hey Lindsey, yeah haven't heard from you on awhile on here or on facebook.

I am going through something entirely too similar and haven't been able to breastfeed since 2 months post partum. I STILL feel guilty and sad about it at 4 months, and I never mentioned it here on MDC because already everyone I run into or have mentioned it to (in person) have given me more of a guilt trip and tell me what a disservice I am doing my child and how I should have breastfed no matter what. Society is extremely judgemental when a woman isn't breastfeeding no matter what the reason.. I held off taking the medication as long as I could but me and John both eventually decided it was important I take care of myself so I could better take care of Asia.

Obviously I still have extreme feelings of guilt and regret.. it's really hard and I think I will always feel bad about my choice and feel like I made the wrong one. Anyways.. Just wanted to let you know I kind of know what you're going through.

And yes.. we have looked into getting donated breastmilk and it is MUCH harder than people think.

I'm sorry you are going through this too, though it is nice to know I'm not alone.
#18 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 07:39 PM

i just wanna offer my codolences regarding the lost friendship. I find those upheavals in life very difficult - it is always much easier to drift apart.

two mo of breastmilk is a wonderful gift... and i have a bipolar mom who doesn't take care of herself or her mental state... what you've had to do is really such a huge gift to your family - keep it up!

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
#19 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradysMom View Post
i just wanna offer my codolences regarding the lost friendship. I find those upheavals in life very difficult - it is always much easier to drift apart.

two mo of breastmilk is a wonderful gift... and i have a bipolar mom who doesn't take care of herself or her mental state... what you've had to do is really such a huge gift to your family - keep it up!
Thank you. That part was hard and I'm sure it was a major contributor to me going in...I was really betrayed I felt and incredibly hurt.
#20 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 08:08 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
A milk bank is totally out of the question, the money would be way more than we can afford. I already mentioned that I put myself on the list for donated milk with my local LLL leader, so if anyone calls her, she'll give me their milk.

I'll join milkshare but I'm really not feeling optimistic. People don't realize how hard it is to get donated milk. They act like it's this easy option and it isn't.
In retrospect I could see that.. I did have 5-6 responses for people that wanted my extra milk. I ended up choosing the youngest child because it was such a hard choice to make (the baby was 3m when I started donating to him). Keep trying, even if it is hard, it's not impossible. Good luck!

ETA: I pump an extra 12-14oz a day so it's not enough to feed him exclusive bm. However, some is better none.

Abra, Married to George, Mother to DS 12/03 & DD1 08/09 & DD2 12/11 + Someone New in May 2015! After years of planning, we are finally living our dream in South America!!
#21 of 35 Old 11-04-2009, 10:05 PM

regarding immunity - seeing as how my family just picked this habit back up, cod liver oil.... could you put a few drops in the bottles you make up at home - given the whole flu thing the immune support could be tremendous for your babe

Tea drinking Momma::: Grady 8/06 and : Coralynn 8/09
#22 of 35 Old 11-05-2009, 06:15 PM

don't beat yourself up, you fed her for what 6-8 weeks? thats more than most babies get. be kind to yourself.

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
#23 of 35 Old 11-05-2009, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by puddleduck View Post
don't beat yourself up, you fed her for what 6-8 weeks? thats more than most babies get. be kind to yourself.
Almost 9 weeks I think.

It's just hard...I mean, I breastfed #1 until 15 months, through nine months of pregnancy with her sister. I breastfed #2 for 2.5 years. I wish I could have done that with this baby
#24 of 35 Old 11-05-2009, 06:38 PM

Talula, I have to commend you on being so strong and getting through this rough period in your life. I'm sorry about you falling out with your friend too, any chance that with some time you can be friends again?

Katherine, SAHM to 2 little princes
#25 of 35 Old 11-05-2009, 06:39 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle~Mommy :) View Post
Talula, I have to commend you on being so strong and getting through this rough period in your life. I'm sorry about you falling out with your friend too, any chance that with some time you can be friends again?
I don't think so. While I'd appreciate an apology from her, what she did was such a betrayal of trust that I'd never be able to let her 'in' again.
#26 of 35 Old 11-05-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post

I am proud of you for taking care of yourself lindsay.
#27 of 35 Old 11-06-2009, 12:27 AM

I am so sorry you have had a difficult time. But taking care of yourself is top priority. I don't have a full supply, just drops a day and my babies have had many milk mamas on MilkShare. I'm a stalker there, LOL. Finnian has had a continuous donor, despite donors being few and far between here. Good luck!

Annabelle Catholic wife to Jeff '92 and mom to Makaley 19 Arden 19 Anniston 17 Taegan 14 Balen 12 Kellen 10 Ellery 8 Innish 6 Eiley 4 Finnian 3 Esca 2 our 8th uc.jpghomeschool.gifwaterbirth.jpgIHhbac.gifbftoddler.gifvbac.gifand expecting sweet pea January 2014.

#28 of 35 Old 11-06-2009, 12:39 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm so sorry Lindsay. I know I would feel tremendously sad if I couldn't breastfeed, and to have someone that you trusted betray you like that in the midst of your difficult postpartum period...ugh, 'that sucks' doesn't even cover it.

I actually haven't talked to my MIL since DD was 5 days old. She was also staying with us in order to help, blew up at me over an issue concerning DS, left(while I was still in pain recovering from a c-section), and we haven't spoken since...and we used to have what I thought was a really great relationship. NOT anymore. DH had to work, so we actually had to call one of DH's co-worker's mom, a really nice lady that DH knew but that I had never met before, and she came for a couple of days to help me out with ds and stuff, and then my mom flew in two days later. I'm not going to go into what the issue was about, but I totally get that feeling of betrayal and I KNOW my relationship with my MIL will never be the same again. I would really rather not talk to her at all, but she is my DH's mother and my kids' grandmother, AND she lives like 10 minutes away, so I guess I don't have much choice.

But anyway...just wanted to say I understand, at least a little, and that I am also proud of you for taking care of yourself, even though I know that wasn't an easy choice to make. Hang in there mama. Hopefully you can get donated milk, and even if you can't, that isn't the only way to bond with your baby. I think you're doing a great job.

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#29 of 35 Old 11-06-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talula Fairie View Post
Almost 9 weeks I think.

It's just hard...I mean, I breastfed #1 until 15 months, through nine months of pregnancy with her sister. I breastfed #2 for 2.5 years. I wish I could have done that with this baby
it's a shame we don't live in the 'ideal tribe', then your friends, sisters, cousins and aunts could feed your baby for you.

be confident in your decision and don't let anyone question you, and if someone has a problem with it, then they can shove it.

your baby will thrive on the love you give her and you will make up for the limited breastfeeding time in many other ways.
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mummy to T 06/04, L 08/06, R 08/09
:
#30 of 35 Old 11-06-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoftworedheads View Post
Crashing this conversation and was wondering about this point. Is this sanitary/hygenic? Do people really do this? Is the milk tested or screened or something?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page