Introductions!! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 113 Old 12-19-2008, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
wrong month!! so sorry! Good luck to all of you September Mammas!
#2 of 113 Old 12-22-2008, 12:54 AM

Hello all. I just did my PT this morning and as we watched that little line slowly appeared. Wow! So excited. Last time I conceived almost the same date, but I didn't recognise the signs as early so I didn't do the test until the first week of January.

I'm a doula and I always tell moms not to use "What to Expect When You're Expecting" because it has a very negative presentation of the experience of pregnancy. However, I do keep one for reference and after taking the test this morning I remembered that I took two ibuprofen last night (thinking I had period cramps) and I began worrying (of course) so I turned there, knowing that it would give me the worst-case scenario. When I read that it is considered ok until the third trimester and I shouldn't worry, I was quite relieved. Funny that I got reassurance from the very source I expect to cause me stress. I don't plan on using ibuprofen again but it is good to know that it is not a known problem.

I was also chagrined to find this gap in my knowledge!

Looking forward to meeting you all!
#3 of 113 Old 12-22-2008, 06:27 PM

I got a + hpt yesterday morning. We are totally in shock. Not planned, but very welcome. Well, dh is still working on being welcoming, but we have a looooonnnnggg time for him to get there, and he will.

We have two little boys. I've had two complicated losses.

This is just such a surprise to us. So much has changed in our lives since our last pregnancy, not to mention since our last our last baby was born!

Also, I didn't used to show up on hpt's for a long time. I've been working with a natural health practitioner and we were hoping that the some of the remedies I've taken would actually have the side effect of me showing an actual bfp when I was pg next. For the first time EVER, I tested a + 12 dpo!! TOTALLY unheard of for me. It was so weird to see "PREGNANT" screaming up at me like that. :

I have no clue what we are going to do in regard to prenatal care or birth. I am already scheduled for an u/s on the 5th, due to what we think was a colon infection I had a month or so ago. I may push it back a week, to ensure I can see a hb. (I don't believe in routine u/s, but we *need* to be able to see this baby.)

Our ds2 was born at home, unassisted. I'm thinking, off the top of my head that maybe we'll do prenatal care and then unassisted at home, if all goes well. We'll see.

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#4 of 113 Old 12-22-2008, 06:58 PM

Congratulations Tracy!

I look forward to hearing about your ups and downs.

My partner and I aren't yet married but we are thinking of doing a civil ceremony really soon and then having the "real deal" later. He is really excited and happy about the pregnancy. We only tried for two months! I use downloadable software to track my fertility. It's called the Hormonal Forcaster and it's pretty great. In particular, the guy who made it is wonderful at responding to requests for help.

I think I must be pretty fertile in general though as I've become pregnant twice in three times of trying (three months, I mean). And once, when I was having an ultrasound for uterine pollups, the US techie said, "oh! wow!" I was a bit worried by this, so I asked her what the problem was. "Oh, no problem," she replied, " you just have really beautiful ovaries." LOL!
#5 of 113 Old 12-22-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doulatron View Post
And once, when I was having an ultrasound for uterine pollups, the US techie said, "oh! wow!" I was a bit worried by this, so I asked her what the problem was. "Oh, no problem," she replied, " you just have really beautiful ovaries." LOL!
I was once having a gynocological exam and the doctor said, "This is incredible!" : Though it wasn't so much a compliment as an exclamation.

#6 of 113 Old 12-22-2008, 07:09 PM

Oh, and congratulations to you...both on your pregnancy and your impending vows!

#7 of 113 Old 12-22-2008, 11:17 PM

Hi, I'm in like flynn!

I'm Angela - married to Paul since 2004, have one daughter (circa 2006). We got our BFP yesterday. We weren't trying, but we weren't not trying - all in all it's a happy household.

My only pregnancy glitch is that I have thyroid cancer so I'm going to have a lot of doctor visits and a lot of blood draws. All things I'm used to so it's so not a big deal.

I visit my OB next week. Yay! And congrats to Tracy and Doulatron (I'd love to use your name if you'd be willing to share).

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#8 of 113 Old 12-23-2008, 12:55 AM

Whoo hoo, welcome, Angela! I love your screen name, btw...makes me feel like we've got some royalty up in the house.

Wow...you've got a great attitude about the thyroid cancer. It sounds intimidating, but you sound like you have a handle on it. Let us know if you need to do a freak-out at any point!

Looks like yesterday was a busy day for hpt's!

Isn't it weird to be the first ones in here? What are y'all's edd's? Mine's Sept. 7 (if you go by LMP, which I am b/c it builds in some extra time at the end, and I've had one really late baby...if you go by my super-early ovulation this month, it's Sept. 1).

#9 of 113 Old 12-23-2008, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenfong View Post
What are y'all's edd's?
It looks like 8/31, but my daughter delivered the day after her EDD. Plus, I'd like to be in the beginning of a DDC instead of the end...so I'm a big, fat cheater!

Angela
#10 of 113 Old 12-23-2008, 11:28 AM

: You're not a cheater! Some people join *two* ddc's...

If I was due at the end of August, this is the ddc I'd choose. I had one go a week early, and one go 3 weeks late, so the chances are better I'll go late.

#11 of 113 Old 12-23-2008, 01:10 PM

I don't have the mental capacity for two DDC. GAH! I can barely remember to get dressed in the morning - and, sadly, I can't blame that on pregnancy fog...yet.

Angela
#12 of 113 Old 12-23-2008, 01:12 PM

Congratulations, mamas!

I might be peaking in here every now and then since you all are closer to my due date. Ds was a week early so I am *hopeing* this one is too, but we'll see, I know every time can be very different.

Anyways, I am Stacey, mom to almost-4 year old Elijah, who I homebirthed in water, bf for 2 years, and wore in a sling forever! Yes, and he still comes into our bed every night. He is very excited about the new baby, and so am I

I started feeling symptoms right away-strong cramps, sore breasts. Now I am a bra-size bigger Yesterday I got my first real strong bout of naseua, but I don't expect for it to be bad as I never threw up with ds. I just expect to be tired.

We are doing another homebirth, possibly in our hot tub or jacuzzi bath. I am hoping it is fairly peaceful so that ds can be there. We are just really happy in general!

Great Christmas present, huh?

Is it okay that I am part of this group, too or should I stick to August?
#13 of 113 Old 12-23-2008, 01:51 PM

Stacey - don't be silly...the more mamas the better. Did you have a MW with Elijah or did you UC?

Angela
#14 of 113 Old 12-23-2008, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
Stacey - don't be silly...the more mamas the better. Did you have a MW with Elijah or did you UC?
Thanks Angela. I had a midwife with Elijah. She was wonderful, and she had an apprentice with her who was also a doula and helped me a ton. My mw passed away 6 months later, so this time we are using her apprentice. My first birth was great though-6 hours of active labor with only one hour of pushing. I am hoping for under two hours this time. I have a really hard time understanding the concept of unassisted birth. Wouldn't it be worth it just to have a midwife in the other room for emergencies?

Oh, btw, this is not the same, but I have crohn's disease, so I know what it is like to deal with a crohnic illness. I am hoping I stay in remission for the entire pregnancy, but I found out that the drug that helps me is only a category b drug. It seems like it shouldn't be-it is a five hour infusion of an immunosuppresent that I get at the chemotherapy center-but they say it is. I am hoping not to have any issues though. Thought I would mention it in case you want to talk more about what you are going through .
#15 of 113 Old 12-23-2008, 07:58 PM

Welcome, and congratulations, Stacey!

Unassisted birth...there are a lot of reasons. But to touch on what you mentioned...in some states lay mw's are illegal. I prefer not to ask someone to commit a crime on behalf (not that I judge anyone for that at ALL, just saying it violates my personal conscience). CNMs can attend homebirths in my state, but they don't, due to no doctor back-up.

Even so, many mw's are unwilling to simply sit in another room while you give birth. They are liable, you see. The State expects a certain standard of care from them. Some will do it, some will not.

Many mw's are just as medicalized as any OB...in fact, I believe that there are OB's who are more hands-off then some mw's.

There are some really hands-off mw's out there. But many UC'ers believe that even some of the most benign interventions, even a mw's *presence*, changes the dynamics of birth for a lot of people. I know that is true for me. I am perfectly willing to give up my power when vulnerable, to someone who appears to be helping me.

I hope that answers some of you questions.

Oh, and how sad your mw died so soon after your birth!

#16 of 113 Old 12-23-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenfong View Post
I was once having a gynocological exam and the doctor said, "This is incredible!" : Though it wasn't so much a compliment as an exclamation.
Funny!

Today I was hit with a big sack of the Blues. I was able to get out of it by hanging out with my dog, listening to the Blind Boys of Alabama and reading up on prenatal herbs, but there are some outside elements that are stressing me out. My partner's mom has Alzheimer's and he moved in with her last spring (before he and I met). In the last couple of months we've been staying with her together more and more and it is starting to get really hard for me now that I know I'm pregnant. I really feel the need to have my own space with him! And he gets very wound up when he's around her. He doesn't deal that well with the effects of the disease (the repetition, the anxiety, the irrationality, etc). Soooo.... we are talking about him moving in with me. Of course that comes with its own stresses as it is hard to take that step without feeling the burden of guilt. Even for me, and she's not my mom!

Thanks for being there you guys!

And, btw, my name is Aimée. I'm the only doula named Aimée in North America as far as I know, and I'm not telling people that I'm pregnant yet so that's why I wasn't using my name, but I'm sure you guys won't spill the beans on me!
#17 of 113 Old 12-24-2008, 12:55 AM

Hi all! I'm Emily, mom to Keegan (3), Riley(2), Macy (6 months) and pregnant AGAIN and due Sept 1st! looking forward to chatting with you all
#18 of 113 Old 12-24-2008, 12:52 PM

Aimee - your secret is safe! I don't know how to do a ' above the first "e" so just know I'm thinking it when I type yourr name.

Emily - congrats...you're a fertile myrtle!

Tracy - I'm in MO and they *just* passed the law to make MWs legal. It was a looong process. As much as I'd love an UC I know my old man won't put up with it (he's very mainstream). So I'll just hope I go in labor when I'm home alone and prolong getting my butt to the hospital. Although, there is something fantastic about bleeding all over somebody else's bed and not having to clean up.

Angela
#19 of 113 Old 12-24-2008, 11:08 PM

Hi everyone!!!
I'm Christina - wife to mike & mama to jacob 9 and owen 18 months.

my edd is september 4th & we are planning another home birth.

congrats to everyone here!!
#20 of 113 Old 12-25-2008, 12:10 AM

I'm Emily, Mom to Joshua, 3, and River, 11 months. We were just starting to try to aim for the days I thought I was ovulating. Unfortunatly, I didn't start to temp, just went by CM. So we DTD Dec 16 when I had EWCM. I don't know the exact day I O'd though. So by LMP my EDD is Sept 4, and by conception date it's Sept 8 I think. Anyone else get anything different?

Either way, I'm glad to be here!!! I'm quite shocked still, just tested + about 4 hours ago.

I'm a nurse, working part time (finally). DH is a police officer and we flip-flop schedules so one of us is always home. He just got done with the academy (YAY) and I'm so glad the kids are out of daycare now!

I had a induction turned CS with DS1, and a beautiful HBAC in January last year.

Looking forward to getting to know everyone!

Emily, WOHM to Joshua (05) River (08) HBAC,  Rylee (09) HBAC and Levi (coming 8/11) planning another HBAC 

#21 of 113 Old 12-25-2008, 02:01 AM

Our group is growing! It's so exciting...

#22 of 113 Old 12-25-2008, 12:19 PM

well, yesterday I got a BFP (YAY) in the middle of the afternoon and today I tested again for the heck of it and it was BFN!!!! with First morning urine. I have sore breasts but no other symptoms. The same thing happened with DS1- 1 BFP and BFN for 7 more days, then a blood test confirmed BFP. I'm hopeful this is just a fluke. I'll test again in a few more days. (if I can wait that long). Of course, last night, my MIL totally guessed it within minutes of seeing me.

Emily, WOHM to Joshua (05) River (08) HBAC,  Rylee (09) HBAC and Levi (coming 8/11) planning another HBAC 

#23 of 113 Old 12-25-2008, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearbaby View Post
well, yesterday I got a BFP (YAY) in the middle of the afternoon and today I tested again for the heck of it and it was BFN!!!! with First morning urine. I have sore breasts but no other symptoms. The same thing happened with DS1- 1 BFP and BFN for 7 more days, then a blood test confirmed BFP. I'm hopeful this is just a fluke. I'll test again in a few more days. (if I can wait that long). Of course, last night, my MIL totally guessed it within minutes of seeing me.
Did you test with different brands? Maybe the one this morning has a higher threshold? Hopefully?

I HATE confusion like this, so I really feel for you!

Also, on your MIL...My dh and I were talking this morning about when to tell the children. We definitely do not want to tell them today, as we will see my IL's tomorrow, and they are going to give us/dh a really bad time when they find out. We are not ready for that. Dh said, "It doesn't matter, my mom will probably take one look at you tomorrow and know, anyway." :roll It's true, she does tend to know. What's up with MIL's?

#24 of 113 Old 12-25-2008, 09:35 PM

I don't know what's up with MIL's, but my own mom sure didn't know today. It was the same brand today as yesterday, but I just took another digital and it clearly said "pregnant". I'm so excited but so cautious at the same time. DH told my sister and I kind of wanted to wait a while and let it sink in. I just couldn't bring myself to tell my mom. But tonight after the 2nd BFP I'm feeling like it's a bit more real.

#25 of 113 Old 12-25-2008, 10:48 PM

Emily - for my first pregnancy I got a pretty quick BFP and my husband wouldn't believe it until the OB said so (men!!). Anyway, my OB said that any BFP is pretty much a sure thing, with only a slight failure rate. Yay! You're in.

Angela
#26 of 113 Old 12-26-2008, 02:55 AM

Hello, All. I have a daughter who is nearly 5 & am due for a second sometime around 9/3. DD flipped breech at about 37 weeks and was born via c. section. I am hoping for a VBAC. Home birth really interests me, however my husband is uncomfortable with it. I trust that, in time, we will come to a decision that we are both comfortable with.

I am nearly 4 years out from a breast cancer diagnosis & so pleased to have conceived. It has been a long wait. We were told to wait at least 2 years & haven't really felt ready until now.

I look forward to sharing the next several months with you!
#27 of 113 Old 12-26-2008, 07:21 PM

Welcome AuntieM! What a difficult journey you must have had to get here. I had a HBAC in January 08 and originally my DH was totally against homebirth bc of the first CS. He came around and is now a huge advocate for homebirth. He loved it. It's not for everyone, but we were both very pleased with our birth.

I had another BFP last night, then tonight took another one since I had it around. Pregnant both times!! YAY!!! I told my parents today. They are happy, this makes 6 grandkids 5 and under for them.

#28 of 113 Old 12-26-2008, 07:38 PM

Thanks, Wearbaby & congratulations!

I'm curious, what made your husband change his mind?
#29 of 113 Old 12-26-2008, 09:55 PM

I started going over statistics with him. When we realized that my Cytotec induction the first time yeilded higher uterine rupture rates than uninduced vbac with low transverse incision, we knew we had a much higher chance of safe natural birth at home. He was on board with vbac from the beginning and originally proposed hiring an ambulance to park outside our house. : sounds so silly now. We are about 5minutes from the hospital as well. Also,as soon as he met our midwife around 5 weeks pregnant, he was immediately comfortable when she professionally answered every emergency question he could think of. We are so blessed to have such an amazing and experienced care provider. I think no matter where you birth, care provider is the single most important factor in achieving the birth you want. Our HBAC was amazing, and we will never ever get tired of telling our story.

#30 of 113 Old 12-27-2008, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearbaby View Post
I had another BFP last night, then tonight took another one since I had it around. Pregnant both times!! YAY!!! I told my parents today. They are happy, this makes 6 grandkids 5 and under for them.
Wonderful news!!!

And welcome, auntiem. Congratulations!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page