When will you tell? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 12-29-2008, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've told lots of people. But we aren't sure when we'll tell our other dc. On one hand, I can hardly wait to tell them. They are going to be SO pleased and excited!

But otoh, I am still getting used to the idea myself. And as they have also suffered from our two losses, I hate to tell them too early.

I guess I'd like to wait, but I also know that I'll be needing to wear looser clothes before I know it...and my oldest is VERY observant about things like that! He'll know in a heartbeat if I show up wearing maternity pants one morning!

So who've you told? Who are you waiting to tell?

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#2 of 44 Old 12-29-2008, 01:04 AM

well, DH couldn't contain himself and has told everyone I really wanted to wait a while, but he blabbed to everyone. He even put it on facebook which I'm already regretting bc everyone is starting the "trying for a girl" comments already. It just makes me more stressed out than I already am. DS1 actually guessed the other day. I got out of the shower and he made the "mommy you have big boobies" comment and then he said, "mommy do you have a baby in your tummy?" and I said wow joshua, yes I do. And he says "can I see?, get it out so I can see". *sigh* I love that kid!

Emily, WOHM to Joshua (05) River (08) HBAC,  Rylee (09) HBAC and Levi (coming 8/11) planning another HBAC 

#3 of 44 Old 12-29-2008, 01:22 AM

:

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#4 of 44 Old 12-29-2008, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
:
You're cracking me up with all your lurking!

Maybe a better question for you is, When will you test?

#5 of 44 Old 12-29-2008, 11:21 AM

We told my parents and grandmother on Christmas Eve. Paul told his IRL BFF and his work BFF. I haven't told anybody, but you all. I need to come up with a great way to tell my main mommy board - they're going to flip!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#6 of 44 Old 12-29-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenfong View Post
You're cracking me up with all your lurking!

Maybe a better question for you is, When will you test?
I plan to test the end of the week. I am only just a few days late, and I have been EBF my five month old. Seems way too early for me to be pg, but the symptoms are there and AF has not show up (have been regular for four months now).

So, for now, I lurk. Hopefully I will know for sure soon and will join in.

#7 of 44 Old 12-29-2008, 06:29 PM

Jenny I could never wait that long!!!!!

Emily, WOHM to Joshua (05) River (08) HBAC,  Rylee (09) HBAC and Levi (coming 8/11) planning another HBAC 

#8 of 44 Old 12-29-2008, 07:42 PM

I know!

But last time I was nursing and got pg, I did not get a BFP until I was THREE WEEKS late! I figure, if I test today, I am likely to get a BFN whether I am pg or not.

So I wait...

On pins and needles...

#9 of 44 Old 12-29-2008, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

I can understand that! I was over 5 weeks pg with my first before I got a solid BFP. With my second, I was 11 weeks! I was puking my guts up and finally got a BFP. So I can get waiting.

That's one of the reasons I am *so* shocked this time to get a + at an unheard of 12 dpo! I've never seen that before!

Well, we'll be waiting to hear news from you, Jenny...

#10 of 44 Old 12-30-2008, 10:10 AM

We told our family on Christmas Day. DH is telling everyone, although I would rather we wait just a few more weeks.
#11 of 44 Old 12-30-2008, 02:35 PM

Where is the list of abbreviations used on this site? I looked up pregnancy abbreviations on google but was unable to find all of them.

Thx!

Aimée
#12 of 44 Old 12-30-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doulatron View Post
Where is the list of abbreviations used on this site? I looked up pregnancy abbreviations on google but was unable to find all of them.

Thx!

Aimée
Questions & Answers Forum, here.

#13 of 44 Old 12-30-2008, 09:40 PM

We would really like to wait until DS' 3rd birthday to tell everyone (Feb.15), since they will all be here at the same time. However, I know my SIL, mom, and MIL will likely guess the second they see how tired and nauseous I am!! I also have a feeling I would be showing a bit before then, and I know my family will be paying close attention to my belly, lol. They know we are hoping for a 2nd soonish.

I can't get much past my mom, so I'm sure she'll know within a week.

Erin

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
#14 of 44 Old 12-31-2008, 12:47 PM

We haven't told anyone except my MW. I wanted to make sure I could get in with her right away.

We're really hoping to wait as long as we can. I'm dying to tell my mom friends, but really want to wait a little while. Our parents have no CLUE we were thinking about a third, so they're going to be quite shocked. Not really sure how we'll clue them in yet.

I CAN"T WAIT to tell my little girls. They're going to be so excited!! Maisie has been begging for a baby for a while now.
#15 of 44 Old 12-31-2008, 01:28 PM

We have told everyone already.

Megan: Wife to DH (2-19-09) Mother to DD (3-26-07) and DS (8-14-09) Exclusively breastfeeding, babywearing and cosleeping.
#16 of 44 Old 12-31-2008, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliekat View Post
We haven't told anyone except my MW. I wanted to make sure I could get in with her right away.

We're really hoping to wait as long as we can. I'm dying to tell my mom friends, but really want to wait a little while. Our parents have no CLUE we were thinking about a third, so they're going to be quite shocked. Not really sure how we'll clue them in yet.

I CAN"T WAIT to tell my little girls. They're going to be so excited!! Maisie has been begging for a baby for a while now.
Yes, my boys have been *praying* for a baby for a long time. Dh said today that maybe we'll tell them in a week or so. They are going to be thrilled!

So, apparently dh told at work today. It just kind of happened. He was in a meeting with his commander and another lieutenant. He mentioned that he needed to take an hour to accompany me to a doctor's appointment Monday. The funny thing here is that I have this u/s scheduled from when I had a colon infection last month. One of the doctors I saw was convinced that I had some pelvic issue, so she put in the referral. It takes forever to get an appointment for things like that with the Army, so my appt. was scheduled for the 5th. Of course the issue is now resolved, but I'd kept the appt., knowing there was a chance I would be pg by then.

So...I want dh to come with me. The whole reason we want u/s's this pregnancy is so we can both SEE the baby. But even though the reason I am going is cause I'm pg, the reason it was scheduled is this infection I had last month. His commander knows about the illness I had...I went to the ER twice, and had 3 different doctors' appointments.

Yet, what does he say to dh today? "Why? Is she pregnant?"

We're not quick on our feet in social situations over here. Dh said, "Yes!" I think it was nice for him to get some congratulations. I think it makes it easier to accept, yk?

#17 of 44 Old 01-04-2009, 03:21 PM

I've told one friend and my midwife. I'm only 4 weeks! I don't know when I want to tell everyone else but I feel no urgency. Although I have already been making a list of the few baby items I want.

Michelle, wife to Ryan, mommy to Gabriel 6/23/2007 and Susanna 9/19/2009
#18 of 44 Old 01-04-2009, 03:46 PM

I just found out two days ago and once I told my husband he couldn't keep it to himself. So since *he* started telling people so did I. I know some people don't want to tell people early on because of the possibilities of a m/c, but right now I am just focusing on the fact that I *am* pregnant and I don't want to let fear come into this wonderful time.

Vanessa, human of many awesome and not so awesome qualities. ; married to my Scorpio
mama to Ayden 6 years and Gena born 9/16/09
#19 of 44 Old 01-04-2009, 07:06 PM

Congratulations to all of you!!! :

I just got a BFP today and my first inclination after telling DH was to call my sisters since they have been suspecting that we were trying for another and keep making comments. I had a cocktail at Thanksgiving and my sisters were both goofing around saying, "You can't drink! It'll hurt the baby!" I didn't tell them outright we were trying, but I think one of DH slips got them rolling.

Anyhow, now that it's sunk in a bit more, I think I'll try to wait until I can get in for a blood test. I plan to call tomorrow to make the appointment. I think they will likely suggest I wait a couple of weeks before going in.

I did call my closest friend and told her because she knew we were TTC, but I will wait til the blood test to tell anyone else.

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
#20 of 44 Old 01-04-2009, 07:26 PM

After telling my DH, I have only told my two closest friends. Since my m/c was so late, I am waiting a few weeks until my Mom visits to tell her, my SIL, and my MIL. I didn't tell my sister b/c I *know* she would tell my Mom and the rest of the family right away. I won't tell anyone else who doesn't ask me directly until after 16 weeks (especially DH's work). It was so hard to have to explain the m/c to people you don't see very often.

With my DS I told people pretty soon, I didn't have any reason to worry then...

Mama to sweet Joey (01/27/06), rainbow1284.gif VBAC baby Rita born 09/12/09!
#21 of 44 Old 01-04-2009, 07:30 PM

As for DS, we will wait a bit longer. I felt so sad last time when he said to his Grandma "we lost the baby". Of course he already asked me if I had a baby in my tummy and that he wanted a brother and a sister. I said maybe. It is amazing how they know everything! Maybe my milk has changed a little already??

Mama to sweet Joey (01/27/06), rainbow1284.gif VBAC baby Rita born 09/12/09!
#22 of 44 Old 01-04-2009, 09:19 PM

I have told a few close friends and my SO, I don't think I'm going to leak it to the family until our first ultrasound in about a month and a half, and I'll wait until about 16 weeks to leak it out to the rest of the world.
#23 of 44 Old 01-05-2009, 12:08 AM

we've told most people already. most of the people at church found out today

ds was told on friday, dd was told yesterday.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#24 of 44 Old 01-05-2009, 12:09 AM

i havent told my dad yet(he is out of town right now), and dh hasn't told his dad yet(he was at work when hub told his mom)

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#25 of 44 Old 01-05-2009, 04:12 AM

We are out of town visiting my BIL (dh brother) and his wife. My dh and I are here w/my in-laws and my ds, too. I actually packed tampons and pads for this trip because I was expecting my period.

Well, on New Year's Day I realize I'm late... start thinking I should pick up a pregnancy test just in case, when.... drumroll, plz... my BIL announces that they are expecting! : And I think, well, there's no way I'm pregnant, too, I mean, really... what are the odds, right?

But, I'm paranoid, so I take the test, after a stealth trip to the Wal-Mart to buy some pregnancy tests. Positive. I take another, positive again. Wow. I told my sister. I wasn't going to say anything here because this was their moment, but of course my ds knew and said something about it at the dinner table. Nobody got it, really, but it made me feel so weird that the next day we told all my in-laws at the same time, too. Everyone was very excited. Except my MIL, who I think went from excited (over her 1st grandchild) to shocked (realizing her 2nd grandchild would come 10 days later).

Then I called my mom and told her. I think I'll tell the rest of my family and friends after my 1st real appt, at the end of this month.

Mom, wife, full-time student.  And tired.  DH, DS#1 (9/99) and DS#2 (9/09), and 2 dogs.

#26 of 44 Old 01-05-2009, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Wow wow! What a great story! And how much fun...the two first grandbabies at the same time!

I had a friend at the time I was pg with my second, and she and I were due 7 weeks apart. She went early, and I went late, and they ended up being less then 3 weeks apart in age. That could so totally happen to you and your SIL. Remember that scene in Father of the Bride II?

Anyway, congratulations, welcome and looking forward to getting to know you!

#27 of 44 Old 01-05-2009, 11:41 AM

I actually called and told my bff before I told dh-is that bad? My brother is planning to get married this month or next- its kind of an elopment that we get to go see, anyway, I want to wait to tell the family until after that, so we don't steal any of their good wishes. However, to do that, I'd have to not tell dd until then, and I'm really doubting I can do that. She's suddenly started drawing picutres of herself and her new baby sister (I"m certain too this will be a girl). I've told a few other friends.

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#28 of 44 Old 01-05-2009, 12:12 PM

We've pretty much told everyone....just couldn't keep it to ourselves !

Jess  SAHM to Daniel  (09/07) and Samuel  (06/10)and Katie Lee (11/11) Wifey to my "geek" : David  for 14 yrs. ( 4/09 @ 19 weeks).
#29 of 44 Old 01-05-2009, 12:47 PM

We told my parents right away because we are on vacation with them and they would have suspected *something* since I am not drinking wine with dinner! We'll probably tell a few close friends once we get home. But we're waiting a bit to tell out of town relatives IMIL/FIL, etc) and others, probably until we see a heartbeat.

I'd like to wait to tell MIL until we want the world to know because last time with my DD she told all of her friends before we were ready for the world to know.

Jen ~ DD1 (10/2006) ~ DD2 (9/2009) ~ DD3 (6/2012)
#30 of 44 Old 01-05-2009, 07:19 PM

My dh and I agreed to keep it to ourselves for the 1st trimester. I told my best friend and her mom. But some friends & family (mine and his) will see baby #3 as a bad decision. Personally i think its none of their business, they should be happy and not judge. but there is a stigma with them about having more than 2 kids as being ridiculous. Why??? No idea! I guess they think its too much work, too much money, too hard for us. But they really have no clue of what we are capable of. Ok this got long..basically we will wait to tell everyone else. then we will tell those who will be only happy for us and then tell the others when i show up with a baby!

nicole, wife & very blessed mom of 2 fun boys '03 & '05 & sweet girl '10. 2ndtri.gifDue 1-6-13 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page