Baby Names? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
No BFP here yet :::crossing my fingers::: but Im already thinking of baby names! It took us the whole 9 months for each boy so i figure i should start now.

what about yall? when will you start thinking about it, do you already have ideas, what types of names do you like?

i like unique names ( i was nicole s. growing up and my dh was matt #6 in his class, so we avoid the common and trendy) but I have no idea or any inklings so far of names for the next child!

nicole, wife & very blessed mom of 2 fun boys '03 & '05 & sweet girl '10. 2ndtri.gifDue 1-6-13 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 12:41 PM

I have a couple in mind, but I'm not even really feeling the pregnancy is real yet, so I'm definitely not doing any active thinking about it. I've always felt strongly that if we had another baby it would be a boy, so I have a couple of boys names, but no girls names. We will find out the sex at some point.

Last time I really wanted to keep the name to ourselves, but my husband leaked it. This time we're going to play everything a little closer to the vest.
#3 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 12:42 PM

This is from DD2

::::
#4 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 03:17 PM

We (well, *I*, but he can be moved to my side) like Quinn for a girl. She'd need an uber girly middle name - just like my daughter.

His name is Paul, as is his deceased father and deceased grandfather - they all have different middle names. Neither of us really like the name Paul, but love the tradition. So a son would be P. ___ - no idea what the ___ is though.

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#5 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 05:27 PM

Angela, can you use Paul as the middle name? I think that would still carry on the tradition nicely, if you liked it enough for a middle name. We gave DS two middle names, one being a family name.

I have such trouble with boy names, but have oodles of girl names in mind.

Erin

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
#6 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
Angela, can you use Paul as the middle name? I think that would still carry on the tradition nicely, if you liked it enough for a middle name. We gave DS two middle names, one being a family name.

I have such trouble with boy names, but have oodles of girl names in mind.

Erin
We always feel that way, too. Though, in all honesty, a lot of the girl names I really like on other people's girls, I would hesitate to use for one of my own.

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#7 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 08:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ooo Ooo I wanna play. (: Hoping I'll actually get to join this DDC!)

For a girl I like Layla or Leila OR Kaily
For a boy it's a given- Mohamed (DH's name- baby would be the "5th")

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#8 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 08:58 PM

I LOVE Leila/Layla!

(GL!)

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#9 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
It just feels wrong to change it's placement, yk? Paul and I are both fine with calling the kid by his middle name (although I'm crossing my fingers and toes that it's not a boy - the circ issue is going to be hardcore in this household - it's just easier to avoid it with another girl).

Angela
#10 of 21 Old 12-31-2008, 11:20 PM

I'm going to need lots of naming help! We had no clue what to name DS2. We changed his name when he was 3 days old, and will probably be changing his name. It is Landon River, but Landon doesn't seem like his name, and we call him River. We originally were thinking River Benjamin but changed it last minute. Now we want to legally change it to River Benjamin. Anyway, we'll need to be SET on a name (or two) this time!!! (and I hear you on the circ issue. I didn't push hard enough with #1, but with #2, homebirthing made it too complicated and he dropped it after a few months. :yay:!!!!

Emily, WOHM to Joshua (05) River (08) HBAC,  Rylee (09) HBAC and Levi (coming 8/11) planning another HBAC 

#11 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

natalie, i really love the name maisie--that is adorable!

nicole, wife & very blessed mom of 2 fun boys '03 & '05 & sweet girl '10. 2ndtri.gifDue 1-6-13 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#12 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenfong View Post
I LOVE Leila/Layla!

(GL!)
very nice!

#13 of 21 Old 01-01-2009, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

[QUOTE=AfricanQueen99;12888771]We (well, *I*, but he can be moved to my side) like Quinn for a girl. She'd need an uber girly middle name - just like my daughter.

i really like quinn. uber girly names that come to mind are victorian type names.

#14 of 21 Old 01-03-2009, 10:38 PM

Can I join in momentarily??

Tonight's our anniversary, and I just so happen to be ovulating While we're not specifically "trying" for a third baby, it's been a hot topic lately, we obviously want a third, we just don't know when and how (i.e. biological or adoption, I'm leaning towards adoption, he wants one more biological)

Since we've been talking about babies so much, I've been secretly making name lists at work!!!

AND...our previous agreement was he gets to name the boys (but I hold veto power) and I get to name the girls (but he holds veto power). I feel gipped that we have two boys, though, and since I had two fairly miserable pregnancies, I proclaimed that I'm naming baby #3 no matter the gender!

SO...as it stands today...my front runners are:

Lucas Matthew
Samuel Glynn

Avery Samantha
Alyssa Kathryn

Heeheeheehee...this baby name thing is SO much fun! I stalk DDCs just to see the baby names!!!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#15 of 21 Old 01-04-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightBabies View Post
natalie, i really love the name maisie--that is adorable!

Thanks! I read it in a novel while I was pregnant and really loved it.

Emily - I'm kind of in the same boat with Maisie's name. When I was researching it, I found out it's short for Margaret. And that's a name I've always admired, so I named her Margaret Kathryn and we call her Maisie.

It's never been a problem until now that she's in kindergarten and at school her name is Margaret on every list, everything official. It kind of upsets me because I don't want her to be confused or upset by it and I don't like hearing her called Margaret, because to me she's Maisie, that's the name I chose for her.

I considered having it officially changed but never went anywhere with it. What do you guys think. Should I consider having it legally changed to Maisie?
#16 of 21 Old 01-04-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliekat View Post
I considered having it officially changed but never went anywhere with it. What do you guys think. Should I consider having it legally changed to Maisie?
IMO, no. She's cute, small and "Maisie-like" right now, but some day she'll be a 40-something, professional woman and like that she has options in her name.

I went through life as Angie (PUKE!!) and went straight back to Angela as an adult. I *really* wouldn't have like having a nickname as my real name, yk?

Angela
#17 of 21 Old 01-04-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanQueen99 View Post
IMO, no. She's cute, small and "Maisie-like" right now, but some day she'll be a 40-something, professional woman and like that she has options in her name.

I went through life as Angie (PUKE!!) and went straight back to Angela as an adult. I *really* wouldn't have like having a nickname as my real name, yk?
I agree. I would however, go to the school before the first day every year and tell everyone she is called Maisie. Teachers will make a note of it and that will be that. As an adult she'll have more options and can tell people what she likes to be called. If it's still Maisie she can either have it changed, or just live with the fact that telemarketers and people at the DMV call her Margaret.
#18 of 21 Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 AM

i've had a boy's name picked out since i was preg with roo. my hub almost died from anaphylactic reaction, and his partner is who saved him by thinking quickly enough to hit him with epinephrine and benadryl and get him to the er.

in honor of him, David will be part of our son's name, if this is a boy.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#19 of 21 Old 01-06-2009, 12:10 PM

We keep thinking that if we have a baby (if that line is a line ) it will be a boy. Not sure on names as I am sure babe will name itself.

however, last Friday dh and I went on a date to the art museum and the Interfaith Association was there doing dances of peace. It was interactive and I joined in. one of the dances/singing we did was from the
four social attitudes that the Buddhist texts call the 'divine abodes': boundless loving-kindness (metta), compassion (karuna), altruistic joy (mudita) , and equanimity (upekkha). I told dh that I think Karuna would be a beautiful name for a daughter. Who knows though

Maia is named after the Greek Goddess Maia, Sage is for the ancient Sage's/philosophers, my step-daughter's middle name is Athena for the Greek Goddess Athena, so new babe will need to keep in the same meaningful lines
#20 of 21 Old 01-06-2009, 07:12 PM

Boy or girl- this baby's middle name is Gabriele- its my middle name and my mom's maiden name. I let dh vote on other middle names for the first 2- but I announced LONG ago that if we had a 3rd, that was the middle name. Working on finding a good fit for the first name. I really like Anna, but wonder if its too common. Dd says this baby should have a 3 letter name like her(Mya) and Ian. But I want a name I love, not just a name that "fits the bill".

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#21 of 21 Old 01-06-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto3girls View Post
however, last Friday dh and I went on a date to the art museum and the Interfaith Association was there doing dances of peace. It was interactive and I joined in. one of the dances/singing we did was from the
four social attitudes that the Buddhist texts call the 'divine abodes': boundless loving-kindness (metta), compassion (karuna), altruistic joy (mudita) , and equanimity (upekkha). I told dh that I think Karuna would be a beautiful name for a daughter. Who knows though
Here in Boulder a lot of people my age have Buddhist names since their parents came to Boulder to be near the teachers.
Aloka
Tashi
Mikyo
Garma
Karuna
Trinily
Jigme

I have never been fond of the aesthetics of Tibetan or sanskrit words, though. They just don't flow for me. We did name our cat Aloka, so the only name I really like is out Oh, we actually have one Buddhist name on our list: Mila (mee-la). It is short of Milarepa, a great teacher. But, I could only see naming a dark haired baby girl that, and people in our families do not have dark haired children. Elijah was as white haired and white skinned as you can get. If by any chance we pop out a darker baby, we may just go for that name.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page