Grandma in the house! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-03-2009, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everybody...I'm going to be lurking here as a grandma..my oldest daughter is expecting the first week of September. She doesn't have a computer at her place so I'm going to be her go between with any questions she has that I can't answer.

I hope you don't mind a grandma in the ddc. I have 4 girls and I"m secretly hoping my first grandbaby is a boy.

Oh..and my dd is only 18. She's pretty shocked about the whole thing but now that she's accepted the idea I think she is actually adjusting to it pretty well.

Congratulations everybody!
#2 of 14 Old 01-03-2009, 10:12 PM

Welcome!

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm certainly down with hanging with the cool grandma! Is that avatar picture you? Cause you do NOT look like a grandma!

Congratulations to your dd and to you. I'm sure this is a shock to both of you, but it sounds like y'all are handling it great.

My sister was pg with her first, unexpectedly, when she was 18 (I was 16). My sweet little nephew is now 19, and serving in the National Guard. He is a fine boy and a good example of the fact that young mamas make fine mamas, too.

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#3 of 14 Old 01-04-2009, 01:12 AM - Thread Starter

Yes..and thanks..that is me in the avatar..you would think that being a grandma at a youngish age(43 in April) I'd be feeling old suddenly but it's the opposite because everybody keeps telling me I'm wayyyyyyyyyy to young..lol.

I was almost 25 when I had my daughter so I was never a real young mother but I am experiencing first hand the terribly insensitive things people say when someone is pregnant young.

When my daughter first found out she was panicked so I decided that every child in this world deserves to have someone excited that it's coming so I became that excited person for this baby. My daughter followed shortly after with excitement of her own.

Thanks for your kind welcome
#4 of 14 Old 01-04-2009, 01:30 AM

I have always followed the same philosophy. No matter the circumstances, EVERY baby deserves a "congratulations" to it's mother, yk? Every baby represents an opportunity to do something great...become someone better.

I'm sorry your dd has had to hear negative things. I can't imagine why anyone thinks it's their business.

Anyway, we can all be excited with you for your new grandbaby.

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#5 of 14 Old 01-04-2009, 01:03 PM

Welcome to you. The more the merrier I say!

Angela
Chatty Girl - 3/2006, Lovey Boy - 1/2010, Delicious Baby Girl - 1/2012
#6 of 14 Old 01-04-2009, 02:00 PM

Yay! YOu are totally welcome. That is great of you to do that for her, too. I hear being a grandma is even better in some ways than being a mama.
#7 of 14 Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 PM

Hello!
Good luck to your daughter!
I was 18 when I got pregnant with dd. I graduated high school 6 months pregnant!
There are a lot of pros to being a young mother!
#8 of 14 Old 01-04-2009, 11:57 PM

Congrats to you both!!!! :

I hope she has a healthy, happy 9 months!

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
#9 of 14 Old 01-05-2009, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody...she really appreciates all the good vibes. I'm visiting her tomorrow and she has a midwife appointment on the 28th. She had bad dreams last night and called in tears this morning but I think I talked her down, told her wierd dreams are par for the course, she thought something was wrong with the baby and panicked.

I'm picking up some books from the resource library and taking them to her as well..reassuring ones...not the kind that make you worry something is terribly wrong
#10 of 14 Old 01-05-2009, 04:47 PM

Gosh, I can totally commiserate with her regarding the bad dreams. Mine have been terrible since a few days after I conceived. It is SO CRAZY how quickly they came on! I hope she doesn't have to sleep alone!

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
#11 of 14 Old 01-05-2009, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZoeJane View Post
Gosh, I can totally commiserate with her regarding the bad dreams. Mine have been terrible since a few days after I conceived. It is SO CRAZY how quickly they came on! I hope she doesn't have to sleep alone!
Oh dear...she lives alone. Although her and her boyfriend have reconciled she's not moving back in with him right away...they are talking about getting a house in July.

She does spend a lot of time at his place though.
#12 of 14 Old 01-05-2009, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgirls View Post
When my daughter first found out she was panicked so I decided that every child in this world deserves to have someone excited that it's coming so I became that excited person for this baby. My daughter followed shortly after with excitement of her own.

Thanks for your kind welcome
I'm not in this DDC, but this thread caught my eye, and I just want to say, that made me teary. You are made of awesome.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#13 of 14 Old 01-05-2009, 05:15 PM

Congrats grandma! She is lucky to have your support
#14 of 14 Old 01-06-2009, 12:48 AM

I'm new here, so I hope this post turns out okay!

I just wanted to say I was also pregnant at 18 (she is 8 now and in 3rd grade!), and I can relate to the nasty looks and unsupportive things some people say. You're awesome for being supportive of her! She can do it. It's hard, but she'll do just fine. Best wishes to you girls!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page