who has not made an appointment with - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 01-06-2009, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
their midwife or doc yet (if you're using one of course- if you're having an up/uc please ignore this quetion, lol- asking you when you're seeing yourself is kinda off)

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 01-06-2009, 07:17 AM

i havent yet. i actually probably wont be seeing my gyn/ob that i have been seeing amd who prescribed the clomid. they just dont have the same birth philosophy as i do. i have walking pneumonia right now, though, and need to go back to my family doc for an antibiotic. they thought it was viral but ive had it since mid-december and am desperate for relief! so i may ask them to do some prenatal blood work. because of the clomid im also kinda hoping for an early u/s to be sure there is only 1 baby in there! im doula-ing a mom with my hopeful midwife this week or next, and so im going to talk to her about it then in person.

nicole, wife & very blessed mom of 2 fun boys '03 & '05 & sweet girl '10. 2ndtri.gifDue 1-6-13 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#3 of 21 Old 01-06-2009, 11:36 AM

Aww, dang it. I knew there was something on my agenda I've been forgetting about this morning.

This is my first pregnancy since my dh joined the Army. Apparently it's a bit of a production (at least in the eyes of this UC'er ). I guess I have to go to my primary doc, get a blood test to confirm pregnancy, then get referred to the OB clinic, where I may wait weeks for my intake appointment. There, I will have to ask to get seen by a mw instead of an OB. I may not have my first real appointment til my second trimester. Which is okay by me, less stress for me. However, I must say rather shameful that they make people who WANT to be seen wait so long! That crowded, add staff, hello. Though I know that no one is constrained by lack of funding like the military.

I went for the coincidental u/s yesterday. But that will not be adequate proof of pregnancy. LOL It's just cause there is no box on their form to check off "confirmed by u/s"! They have to have that blood test. I say I'm not in the Army, but I sure do have to live by Army ways.

So all that to say, no, I have not been seen, nor have I even gotten the ball rolling. I had figured I'd wait til after the u/s anyway. I need to take a pic of my pic of my little black pocket of baby and post it.

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#4 of 21 Old 01-06-2009, 02:26 PM

I called yesterday to make an appt, assuming I would see her by next week or something, and apparently my doc doesn't see people until their 10-12th week generally! So unless there is something wrong, I guess I'm going in mid-Feb.

Is that normal? I can't even remember from last time.

Erin

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
#5 of 21 Old 01-06-2009, 03:36 PM

I'm on my mw's calendar but I won't see her until 8-10 weeks. That's just how she does it. So she told me to call when I am about 8 weeks to make an appt.
#6 of 21 Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 PM

I emailed my midwife right away since there is only one in my area and I needed to get on her calendar!! Plus I've been seeing her for cycle problems/infertility and knew she would want to know. She is working with me via phone/email to make this baby a sticky but she doesn't do a first appointment until 10-12 weeks. That is "normal".

Marjorie
wife to my best friend, Stephen, mother to Alec 5/02, Ian 2/05 and Kathryn 9/09
#7 of 21 Old 01-06-2009, 04:41 PM

[QUOTE=citizenfong;12926560I went for the coincidental u/s yesterday. But that will not be adequate proof of pregnancy. LOL It's just cause there is no box on their form to check off "confirmed by u/s"! They have to have that blood test. I say I'm not in the Army, but I sure do have to live by Army ways.

[/QUOTE]

I'm curious, was it an external or internal u/s? I was under the impression they can't see a pg with an external or abdominal u/s in the early weeks. Did you see it?
#8 of 21 Old 01-06-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataliekat View Post
I'm curious, was it an external or internal u/s? I was under the impression they can't see a pg with an external or abdominal u/s in the early weeks. Did you see it?
I had both. I don't know if she saw anything during the quick external, but she saw the gestational sac right away with the internal. We did not see a heartbeat...she said closer to 5 weeks (which matches my LMP) then 6 weeks (which matches my o date). Even if things were a few days further along, it still would have been iffy as to seeing a hb.

#9 of 21 Old 01-06-2009, 07:58 PM

Oh, and I did get my blood test today. So that starts the ball rolling on getting an appointment. I guess I'll get the referral information in a day or two when my blood test comes back.

#10 of 21 Old 01-06-2009, 11:07 PM

I've really been putting it off because I'm planning a vbac & was concerned about being able to find someone I'd like. Since the initial hesitancy, I've made a couple of appointments (two different offices). I'm thinking of adding a third. It feels a little odd, but I want to talk to a couple of different people before I choose.
#11 of 21 Old 01-06-2009, 11:40 PM

Glad to see it's normal to not have an initial appointment til after 8 weeks! I was going to ask... I was 8 weeks pregnant with my daughter before I knew I was pregnant last time...

I made an appointment with my new OB this morning. They didn't need to see me before 8 weeks so I have an appointment for February 4th.

Ali - Wife to Steve and mom to Zoe - age 7, and Ezra - 17 months (9/2009)
#12 of 21 Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 AM

I am 7 weeks and won't see my midwife for a few more weeks-there is no reason to. If this were my first I would see her the minute I found out.

But...even with my first I was up in the mountains on retreat until my second trimester so I didn't see anyone until then. All they can really do is tell you to take prenatals and stay healthy. Like we all havn't obessesed over every little thing we should do already!

I am going to get an u/s next week, though, just because I want to see the baby. There is no doubt this baby is healthy and growing-all I do is eat.
#13 of 21 Old 01-07-2009, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

i'll be having an u/s next week to help me guesstimate a edc, but i don't even know who i'll be having as my hcp yet...

i have a choice of the same ob practice i used w dd for a hosp. an hour away, a birth center a little over an hour away, a birth center about 2 hrs away, or possibly a hb, but that is a slim possibility. i refuse to use the local hospital or the ob practices with priviledges here.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#14 of 21 Old 01-07-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieM View Post
I've really been putting it off because I'm planning a vbac & was concerned about being able to find someone I'd like. Since the initial hesitancy, I've made a couple of appointments (two different offices). I'm thinking of adding a third. It feels a little odd, but I want to talk to a couple of different people before I choose.
I think that is totally understandable. Vbac friendly OBs can be hard to come by. You want to feel comfortable with who you go with.

#15 of 21 Old 01-08-2009, 10:30 PM

I made my appointment the other day. I dont' go in until I'm around 10 weeks.

Megan: Wife to DH (2-19-09) Mother to DD (3-26-07) and DS (8-14-09) Exclusively breastfeeding, babywearing and cosleeping.
#16 of 21 Old 01-08-2009, 11:11 PM - Thread Starter

i figured out where i wanna birth. when i called to make my appt, they were already closed for the day, lol.

#17 of 21 Old 01-08-2009, 11:20 PM

I just called my MW today so we'll see when my first appt will be when she calls back.

Mama to sweet Joey (01/27/06), rainbow1284.gif VBAC baby Rita born 09/12/09!
#18 of 21 Old 01-08-2009, 11:29 PM

Well, I got my intake appointment scheduled yesterday. I'll be 9 weeks.

This was after I called the automated pregnancy test line and my patient number was one of the ones they read, meaning I am pregnant. When I called to set up the appointment I was told that I should expect to sit through an hour-long educational video and have blood work done. I asked what blood work they would do, and she said, "*I* don't know!" Okay! Great.

I told my dh, "I am pretty sure it is pretty hard to roll up off of this conveyor belt they've put me on. Seems like an assembly line to me!"

He said, "I bet you could get some Twilight Sleep!"

I am thinking that my best plan of action is not to fight The Man, but to fly under his radar. I'm hoping that they are SO busy, that they just don't notice if I don't show up for whatever test they have me *automatically* scheduled for, or what have you.

I also keep thinking: What if this had been like past pregnancies, where I didn't have enough hcg going to turn a test positive? They would NOT have read my number on the automated line and I would NOT have been able to get a referral for OB care.

#19 of 21 Old 01-09-2009, 07:58 PM

I haven't, but need to get on the stick bc my midwife might fill up!

Emily, WOHM to Joshua (05) River (08) HBAC,  Rylee (09) HBAC and Levi (coming 8/11) planning another HBAC 

#20 of 21 Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 PM
Banned

I'm having UC, but I still have decided to get midwife care during my pregnancy. My appointment is on the 27th of February. I called to make it today, actually!
#21 of 21 Old 01-09-2009, 10:42 PM

I'm having a UC, but my doc hasn't checked the email I sent her yet. hehe I may call on Monday to see if she wants me to come in. I don't really want to go in, so I don't think I will. She's very open to planning this out together.

Wendy

Wendy, certified child passenger safety technician
Mommy to Piper Mayhew (7/26/02) and my unassisted homebirth Laine Anjou (9/16/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page