What's on your name list? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 49 Old 03-10-2009, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DH is totally in love with Elise, but I'm not sure if I like it with our last name. Also we do know of someone who has a DD named Elise, not friends of ours just a sister of kid in DS's class.

We want to stick with German names, but I am totally lost this time.

proud mama to: DD (8/02), DS (12/03), DS (11/06), DS (9/09) and pos.gif EDD 11/1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 49 Old 03-10-2009, 11:41 PM

we thought we were totally sold on Charlotte for a girl, but now we're having second thoughts We both like Evelyn (e-vy, not Ee-vy, again).... and I just remembered another I've always liked - Emmerson! (could call her Emma if I really wanted to - but not sure that I would)....Cecelia and call her Cece....see that's the problem with Charlotte- I DON'T like Charlie for her, or Char....and I like to have shortenings, yk? Oh, and Eleanor (and call her Norah)

HEy - btw, 2boyzmama - how about Cullen? I have two girlfriends who do the 'celtic' names....one more 'out there' than the other....there is: Kady, Tierney, Christian, and Cullen from one friend - and Kiernan, Lochlan, and Sorcha from the other....I REALLY like Cullen!!!

For boys we're totally stuck. WE can't seem to agree. Robert? Jack? Max? eh? Really lost.

So -there's where we are. WE like classic names. In fact, we went and printed out the top 100 names from the SS index from 1900 to 1910 - it's just easier to find names we like that way

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#33 of 49 Old 03-10-2009, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperCait View Post
(Dh's last name is "Farren".)
When people ask: "Oh yes, we've picked a name! If it's a boy we will either call him Aaron Darren Farren or Darren Aaron McLaren Farren. And for a girl we like Karen Sharon Farren or possibly Karen Sharon Erin Maryn McLaren Farren. Don't you just love it??!"

heh.
That's awesome. I have a friend who's named Ferrinne - so you can always throw that one out as an option!

I'm finding boy names to be MUCH harder this time. With Sam it was easy - named after my dh's great uncle who passed away; his grandfather always wanted one of his children or grandchildren to name a kid after his brother and no one had, so we jumped at the chance! His middle name is David for my father who passed a few years ago. So, like I said, no-brainer there. We didn't know if he'd be a boy or girl until he came out, so we had a few girl names picked out but nothing we really settled on. I was thinking Dava (Day-vah) after my father but now I feel like I can't use it for this one since we already did David for ds's middle name.

So, here's MY list (dh does not yet love any of them!)
GIRLS:
Heidi
April
Rowan
Shannon
Scarlett
Charlotte
Brienne
Georgia

BOYS:
Thomas
Quinn (or some derivitive)
Michael (my dh's name, I'm not thrilled 'cause I can barely get everone's name right as it is!)
Scott (after a good friend that just passed)
Oliver (I guess this is a popular one! dh doesn't like it anyway.)

I'm really sensitive to what people (including myself) will call the kid "for short" so a lot of them I just can't fall in love with. Like Scarlett - I LOVE it but what do you call her for short? Scar? yech.

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
#34 of 49 Old 03-11-2009, 12:07 AM

some names just DON'T have a natural shortening - like Scarlett - imo - or Grace....and we have one of those. I'm okay with those, it's just the ones that HAVE a shortening that I don't like, bc you know people will want to call them that, yk?

Although, my 3 yo, Grace, has ALWAYS referred to herself as Gracie Even though -I SWEAR nobody in our families has EVER called her that - she just decided herself. I sort of always thought that sounded like a dog, but now that it's just so endearing bc she decided it herself, I like it, yk?

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#35 of 49 Old 03-11-2009, 12:09 AM

for a girl, i would have gone with Anne Claire (Claire is my mom's name and my middle name); however we recently adopted a dog named Annie, so that name is out for us.

i also like Sarah Elizabeth. however my SIL is Elizabeth, and i don't want to name after her, so now i'm leaning toward Sarah Francis, with the possiblity of calling the baby Fran or Franny for a nickname.

our first child is Eleanor Ariel, and she's adopted the nickname of Nelly. so i think Nelly and Franny would be a cute combo.

if it's a boy, i have no clue.

#36 of 49 Old 03-11-2009, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia24 View Post
See that's the problem with Charlotte- I DON'T like Charlie for her, or Char....and I like to have shortenings, yk?
My grandmother's name is Charlotte and she often goes by Cherry. Not as obvious, but, there you go. My favorite shortening for Charlotte is Lottie-- I actually like Lottie a lot but don't want to name my child after my granny.

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

#37 of 49 Old 03-11-2009, 01:13 AM

Names are so difficult, we have three boys and all have irish/celtic/scottish names but this time Dh is loving Kai for a boy, I love the name Lachlan, he doesn't so much but is considering it for a middle name. I also love Elliot but DH can't get past the way E.T. says it so it's out. I also love Charlie but DH had a dog and has a cousin named that so it's out. He is considering Harrison which I suggested, with Harry for short and we are also considering Quinn as a middle name...as this is our fifth child and we love the name but it is really popular these days.

For a girl we have settled on Soleil (So - lay) for a first name, our dd's name is french and we want to keep that going as dh has french heritage way back! Middle name we are stuck on, I love evelyn, claire, quinn, ruby, eabha (ava...my middle name is Siobhain and I love the irish spelling, which is why I like that version of ava) but none are jumping out as 'that's it' you know?!

Names we have already used are

Madeleine Paige
Owen James
Campbell Riley
Finnegan 'Finn' Oliver

and we won't repeat first initials so some names are nixed because of that

So difficult.

Erin
EDD #5 9-15-09

Erin : ~~ unschooling mama to DD (12) , DS (11) :, DS (8) and DS (3) , DD Soleil Emily Meadow (9-18-09) born at home in the water
#38 of 49 Old 03-11-2009, 10:52 AM

All joking aside now, were pretty set for a boy: WE both love Corbin, and Declan is a runner up.
(I'm just not sure if Corbin Farren sounds okay? What do you think?)

For a girl on the other hand, we're still totally at odds with one another. Hubby loves Leila (Lee-lah) and Juniper, and a bunch of others, and I don't like anything he likes enough to want to name my kid that!!!!

I used to love Juniper, but now I get sick feeling everytime I think of it. That's not a good sign IMO!!!

Middle name will be MacGregor, after my dad Gregory and Hubby's Grandfather Alfred Macenroy, aka "Mac".
#39 of 49 Old 03-11-2009, 03:33 PM

I hate coming up with names. I rarely come across names that I like enough to use. With ds, we ended up having a list of boy and girl names and then waited till he came to pick the right name. I'm pretty sure we'll do the same thing this time. I think we won't be finding out the sex, which means again I have to look at boy and girl names, which I hate. (But not enough to find out the sex!)

I keep thinking it's a girl, and for the life of me can't even bring myself to look at boy names. So far the name that I keep thinking of for a girl is Alena, or Elena. I had other girl names, but I didn't write them down when I was looking through our name book, so I'll have to come back later with the rest.
#40 of 49 Old 03-11-2009, 03:35 PM

You know, we named ds Cameron and after he was born I met a little girl names Kamryn and I LOVE it!!!! We had Cameron on our girl list, but it never dawned on me to change to spelling and make it more girly. I almost wish we didn't name ds Cameron so that we can have a girl named Kamryn!
#41 of 49 Old 03-11-2009, 03:46 PM

The social security website is interesting. I love the list of the top 5 names over the past 100 years. It's amazing to see how long some names have remained in the #1 spot. Emily has been #1 since 1996!!!! And Michael was #1 from 1954 all the way till 1998, with the exception of one year (David was #1 in 1960). Can you believe that? That's 43 years!!!!! Mary was #1 for a really long time, too!
#42 of 49 Old 03-11-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:
and I just remembered another I've always liked - Emmerson! (could call her Emma if I really wanted to - but not sure that I would)...
We have an Emerson, but he's all boy. Another German boy name

proud mama to: DD (8/02), DS (12/03), DS (11/06), DS (9/09) and pos.gif EDD 11/1

#43 of 49 Old 03-11-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
we thought we were totally sold on Charlotte for a girl, but now we're having second thoughts We both like Evelyn (e-vy, not Ee-vy, again).... and I just remembered another I've always liked - Emmerson! (could call her Emma if I really wanted to - but not sure that I would)....Cecelia and call her Cece....see that's the problem with Charlotte- I DON'T like Charlie for her, or Char....and I like to have shortenings, yk? Oh, and Eleanor (and call her Norah)

HEy - btw, 2boyzmama - how about Cullen? I have two girlfriends who do the 'celtic' names....one more 'out there' than the other....there is: Kady, Tierney, Christian, and Cullen from one friend - and Kiernan, Lochlan, and Sorcha from the other....I REALLY like Cullen!!!

For boys we're totally stuck. WE can't seem to agree. Robert? Jack? Max? eh? Really lost.

So -there's where we are. WE like classic names. In fact, we went and printed out the top 100 names from the SS index from 1900 to 1910 - it's just easier to find names we like that way
HOLY COW!!! Another Lochlan? One of my older brothers is named Lochlan!!! AND, one is named Keir!!! What are the chances???? Seriously, they're the only ones with those names I've ever met.

Anyway, Cullen is a great name, but our last name is Block, and I already was hesitant with Connor Block, because of the hard "C" start and end. It just felt too abrupt to me. But I didn't dislike it enough to nix it, and my husband really liked it. So hence Connor's name And for some reason I think of culinary when I hear Cullen!

I think we've agreed on Gavin for a boy, I had been tossing it around in my mind for a while, finally mentioned it to hubby who liked it, and then I looked up the meaning and it means "white hawk", Connor means "wolf lover", so I like that the name meanings are somewhat linked, you know?

And we're still going with Evelyn for a girl.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#44 of 49 Old 03-11-2009, 07:38 PM

We are stuck and have decided not to even talk about it until we know the sex. I've never been stumped like this before-the others just WERE their names. My biggest problems are finding another that 'goes' with my other three (Luke, Tessa, and Quincy) and letting go of names I love but cannot use (our last name begins with an S and I hesitate to use a name beginning with B, leaving the initials as B.S. Also, I seem to love A names but want to use a family name beginning with S as the middle name and then the initials would be really bad as well! Finally, our last name ends with an "on", so any names ending with -on, -en, , -an, or -in tend to sound funny. My husband thinks I am crazy, but this poor child will have to live with this name for a very long time! Oh, the pressure!!!

Mom to ds (7/02), dd(2/04), ds (9/07), and dd 9/09
#45 of 49 Old 03-11-2009, 09:07 PM

I'm envious of you guys who have already started a list! DH and I are AWFUL at finding names that we both like, and it gets grouchy. He's talked me into finding out the gender, so we're going to wait till then and then only have to come up with one name, should cut our torture in half, LOL!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#46 of 49 Old 03-11-2009, 09:22 PM

Oooh - turned on the TV this morning and happened to catch the last 30 seconds of a "Baby Story" and the baby's name was TESS!

I don't know why we hadn't considered that one before. I immediately called dh and he is kind of stuck on it too - his top three right now are Tess, Brooklyn and Charlotte....I like them all. ugh! So hard.

LOVE harrison - whoever mentioned that - with Harry for short is ADORABLE!

It's a crazy life!

#47 of 49 Old 03-11-2009, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am beyond stuck. I think I like plain old Hayley for a girl. But I am having a boy, so perhaps that is why picking a girl name is so easy.

Boys names I have are...Declan, Finnley, Liam, Luke, Noah, Callan, nothing is just striking me.
#48 of 49 Old 03-11-2009, 10:21 PM

stuck here too!!

girls names come more easily...here are my picks:
helen
ruth
hazel
pearl
mae
marien

boys...more difficult...
leif
emerson
henry
marek

i loved reading this thread--great names listed here!
#49 of 49 Old 03-12-2009, 03:58 PM

Susanna Michelle

or

Levi Ryan

Our son is Gabriel Ryan and we are sticking with using dh and my first names as middle names for all our kids.

We didn't even have a girl name picked last time and we didn't find out the gender. We liked Michaela but we obviously could not have used Michelle as the middle name.

I just hope we don't change our minds this time! We had the names picked out before getting pg and haven't talked about it since.

User Tag List