What's on your name list? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 01-29-2009, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Obviously some people may not want to share this, or maybe haven't even thought about this yet! I thought it would be fun to talk names though.

We won't be discussing our name choices with any family or friends this time, so I kind of want to here!

Girls:
Grace
Evelyn (my grandma's name)
Mary (DP's grandma's name) (I also really like Mary-Jane)
Leah

Boys:
Elijah
Desmond
Oliver
Zachary

There are more but I think those are likely our top 4's for right now!

Erin

Erin

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
#2 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 12:04 AM
gun

I am a baby name junky! Wehave a huge list of names that we don't hate, just a matter of whittling it down.

Peace- Heather
#3 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 12:31 AM

Names we both like:
Cecilia
Emily
Anna
Leah
Joseph
Luke

I LOOOVE Biblical/Book of Mormon names -- Jehosheba, Ezekiel, Adam, Aaron, Eve, Ruth, Jeremiah, Isaiah, John (but our last name is Johnson so it can't be used), Timothy, Nephi, Lehi, Sariah, Mosiah, Jarom. I also dig virtue names like Hope and Charity.
Nature names like Willow, Meadow, River, Iris, Daisy, Rose, Amber, and Heather.
And themeless names like Thora, Amelia, Harriet, Arlia, Nina, Ophelia, Xanthia, Isidora.

Chris wants Star Wars names--Darth, Vader (no, not Darth Vader but a Darth and a Vader), etc.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#4 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaRenee View Post
Names we both like:
Cecilia
Emily
Anna
Leah
Joseph
Luke

I LOOOVE Biblical/Book of Mormon names -- Jehosheba, Ezekiel, Adam, Aaron, Eve, Ruth, Jeremiah, Isaiah, John (but our last name is Johnson so it can't be used), Timothy, Nephi, Lehi, Sariah, Mosiah, Jarom. I also dig virtue names like Hope and Charity.
Nature names like Willow, Meadow, River, Iris, Daisy, Rose, Amber, and Heather.
And themeless names like Thora, Amelia, Harriet, ('tis my bird's name, hehe!), Nina, Ophelia, Xanthia, Isidora.

Chris wants Star Wars names--Darth, Vader (no, not Darth Vader but a Darth and a Vader), etc.
I like all these! LOL about Darth and Vader!!!! my ds is fanatical about Star Wars and he'd LOVE those names!!
My hubby likes historical names.....Tyberious, Xerxes.......Polycarp...thankfully we never had to name any of our kids those names lol

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

#5 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 03:14 AM

for a girl....Isabella Rose or Isabella Grace
for a boy Nicolas ? or....I dunno don't have many ideas right now...

Mom to 5 little angels in Texas and expecting another blessing in Summer 2012!!:

#6 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 10:23 AM

For a girl (I think) we're set on Agatha Clio (Clio is a town in MI where I grew up)

If it's a boy... I don't. We want to try to use the town where DH grew up in Germany, which is Rhaunen

0****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****403rdtri.gif

#7 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 11:30 AM

I *think* we've agreed on Evelyn for a girl...will call her Evy (E-vy, not Ee-vy). We're still discussing the middle name... We also won't be telling family, we told them some of the names on our list when I was pregnant with Connor, and I got some comments, so right then and there I decided to keep it quiet until birth.

For boys...I have the list down to three, but my husband claims to not like any of them. This baby I get to name, (he named our other two) but I want him to at least agree that he likes it!!! The three were:

Lucas (although our last name is Block, so the nickname Luke is out)

Alexander (which I think flows really well with Block, but I don't think I like Alex)

and

Ronan. There's a story behind Ronan...I first heard it on a Star Trek episode (yes, I'm a trekkie!) and it intrigued me. I looked it up...it's Celtic (goes with Ian and Connor) and means Baby seal (Connor meals Wolf lover, so good match!). If you spell it Ronin, then it's Japanese and means "Samurai without a master" I like that, too, because we lived in Japan for the first three years of our marriage, Ian was born over there, and we hope to go back someday. So the name just feels right to me, you know?

Anyway...we apparently have no boys names!! My husband doesn't have any suggestions, though, so if he doesn't speak up soon, then I'm just going to pick one and be done with it

Hoping for a girl, anyway!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#8 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 12:32 PM

If it's a boy, our son will be the "5th," assuming his great-great-grandfather is still with us. The family name is Maxcy, but he would go by Max, which I love because it reminds me of Where the Wild Things Are!

For a girl, we like Lucy Adele and Delaney Mae. I also like Natalie and Caroline, but DH isn't down with those two.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 
#9 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 12:50 PM

A girl will be something we can shorten to Katie...I'm thinking

Katiana Elizabeth Hope (Kah-tee-ah-na)

for a boy,

Jason Paul (FIL wanted to name DH Jason, so it's a way to honor him, DH's uncle who passed in 2006 was Paul)

The baby will also have a Chinese name, but we won't make it a part of their legal name. FIL gets to choose the Chinese name (with input from the rest of the family, I'm sure.)

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
#10 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 01:21 PM

By the fourth kid names are hard LOL!! Here is our short list

Girl:

Erin
Lia

Boy:

Logan
Liam
#11 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 01:57 PM

We had Cecilia picked out as the girl name, has ds turned out not to be Marcos. DH still wants to use it this time if it's a girl.

I'm not so sure; something is leading me to the name River (but only for a girl). DH doesn't really like it but I'm pretty sure he'll go along if I really want it.

For a boy, Mateo was on our short list last time. I still like it, but I sort of feel compelled to shop around again.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#12 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 03:41 PM

Here are some that dh won't let me use for boys:
Simon
Aslian
Aspen
Orien
Oliver
Elliot
Mikiya (Mi-kai-ya)
Mikyo (mee-kyo)
Jamison
Ailyn
Kai
Kalden (Tibetan)
I love Tobiaz (To-be-osh, not Tob-i-us), but it is my bil's name
Keegan
Kaven
Kailan (Kai-lan) I obviously made this one up
Kaian (Kai-an) I obviously made this one up too
Kaylin -I think I made this up too.
My son is Elijah Sirius (Like the dog star-Now when someone says "are you serious?" he can say "Serious is my middle name.)
Dh likes names like Hector and Alfred and Wallace. Yuck.

I already have my girl's name, but can't share
Other girl's names we love are:
Amelia
Licia (Le-ce-a)
aniya (On-ee-ya)
Saranna
Annabella
Azalea
Aja (Asia)
Mila (Me-la)

What do you think about the name Milo for a boy? I can't decide if I like it or not...I wish there were more aestetically pleasing boys names, we just cant agree on anything!
#13 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 04:26 PM

Boy: Levi Spenser Wyatt *lastname* or Wyatt Spenser Levi *lastname*
Girl: Loreli Kaye Elena *lastname*

We always use family names for the middle names. All of my kids except for my oldest son have two middle names.

#14 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 04:30 PM

Girl- Eva Rose (my grandmother's name), Adelaide, Grace
Boy- Adler August

I find picking names so stressful, anyone else?

Mama to DS 4.22.07 (ana to peanuts) and DD 10.7.09
#15 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 08:33 PM

I like Milo!

I agree, baby names are stressful. Spring Sun, your dh could get together with mine- his fav boys name is Bernard.

My girl name list is short- Ruth (to honor my midwife and the woman who has always been a grandmother to me but is no relation) or Vivian (from dh's family) or Francesca. I've always wanted a Frankie.

Boys? Well, if I can name him without dh helping I like Gregory Reid, then we'd call him Reid. Dh is Gregory. However, dh does not like Reid.

My brother went six months without a name, we may be following in this tradition!

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#16 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 08:42 PM

We like alot of names... Going to the Social Security Admin's website is always fun.

Evelyn, Josephine, Eileen, Morgan, Zoey, Anya, Elsie, Scarlett, Clara, Vivian, Olivia, Claudia, Anastasia, Tressa, Bernadette, Fred, Drucilla, Celeste

Phineus, Fox. Nigel, Uther, Henry, George, Casper, Jasper, Xavier, Kyle, Quinton, Octavian, Hadrian, Frederick, Lucien, Constantine, Sebastian, Jerome

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#17 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 08:54 PM

WOW! you guys are rockin' on the names. i think picking names is sooooo difficult! i have no ideas really. girls are easier than boys, i could think of a few girl's names but then not names that i think i would REALLY want to name our child. plus i am thinking MAYBE it's a boy??? i'm picky as you have probably guessed. and i like the sound of certain names and then i will read the meaning of that name and it's all over. the meaning has to be good too. this is gonna be a lot of work! a name is very important IMO!
#18 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Sun View Post
What do you think about the name Milo for a boy? I can't decide if I like it or not...I wish there were more aestetically pleasing boys names, we just cant agree on anything!
I love Milo. A good friend of mine has a 5-year-old Milo and he's adorable, all wild hair and stunning eyes. But he's the only one I've ever met, so I don't think it's too popular (which would be a dealbreaker for me.) If I didn't know her, I might use Milo myself! Or the name of another of her sons, August (he is called Gus).

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#19 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 09:24 PM

I had a cat named Milo, named after the movie Milo & Otis.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#20 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 09:26 PM

Ahh, how the heck did I forget to put on my list...

Felicity!!!

#21 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 10:01 PM

Using the SSA link above you can check the popularity of any name for any year over around the last 100.

Oh... and I love the name Milo!

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#22 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 11:16 PM

for a girl right now I like Brielle Aislinn.

for a boy, we know what we will name him. Theodore Edward (Edward for my grandfather, Theodore because I want to call him Teddy).

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#23 of 49 Old 01-30-2009, 11:52 PM

I'm a name nut and have had a name list for years. I've also bugged DH non-stop during that time so we already have a few we are ok with. I generally change my mind as soon as we find something we are both okay with.

We discussed it a bit last week, but I think I overdid it obsessing about it because (-really-) now everytime I even think about it I get this huge wave of m/s nausea!!! lol. Weird I know but totally true. Maybe it's a stress thing??

Anyway. In the meantime I've decided to answer any and all name inquiries as follows:

(Dh's last name is "Farren".)
When people ask: "Oh yes, we've picked a name! If it's a boy we will either call him Aaron Darren Farren or Darren Aaron McLaren Farren. And for a girl we like Karen Sharon Farren or possibly Karen Sharon Erin Maryn McLaren Farren. Don't you just love it??!"

heh.
#24 of 49 Old 01-31-2009, 02:59 PM

I think we've settled on Charlie, boy or girl. We like both Charles and Charlotte, and it sounds good with our son's name, Oliver. We're still working out middle names and we have plenty of family input. We like Charlie Isabel *lastname* for a girl (Isabel was the name of a good friend of mine as a child, and DH's grandma's middle name), and DH likes Charlie Edison *lastname*, after his grandpa. I'm not sure though, because our son's full name is Oliver Harrison *lastname*, and I don't know if Edison and Harrison are too similar. But we've got lots of time to work it out!
I looooove baby names :

Me + him = DS 01/08 & DD 09/09 X2
#25 of 49 Old 01-31-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperCait View Post
Anyway. In the meantime I've decided to answer any and all name inquiries as follows:

(Dh's last name is "Farren".)
When people ask: "Oh yes, we've picked a name! If it's a boy we will either call him Aaron Darren Farren or Darren Aaron McLaren Farren. And for a girl we like Karen Sharon Farren or possibly Karen Sharon Erin Maryn McLaren Farren. Don't you just love it??!"

heh.

I love it!!!!! I should come up with something like that...

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#26 of 49 Old 01-31-2009, 04:59 PM

We are leaning toward Emma Rose for a girl, or Paul ? for a boy, totally not sure yet though. All of our other kids have really normal "Irish" or "Catholic names.

:Patty :fireman Catholic, intactalactivist, co-sleeping, GDing, HSing, no-vax Mama to .........................:..........hale:
#27 of 49 Old 01-31-2009, 06:33 PM

I think it's so funny how many dh's have bizarro name attachments. My dh loves German names. For girls, it's *fine*. I love Ingrid, for example. But the boys? Wolfgang and Helmut have been dh faves. I get Wolfgang, though it's a bit exotic for my personal taste, and would NOT go with our very Anglo-Saxon last name!

But Helmut? I should also share that both our boys were born with full-on, needs-a-cut-at-5-months hair.

Tracy, doula and Army wife and homeschooling mama to A and E
#28 of 49 Old 01-31-2009, 06:52 PM

Quote:
By the fourth kid names are hard LOL
ITA! We haven't started talking names yet- DH and I never agree, and we wind up compromising pretty late in the game. Since I don't want to find out gender this time, we need one of each to take to the hospital for delivery this time.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#29 of 49 Old 03-10-2009, 08:56 PM

Bumping this thread to add our names... we've known our girl names forever, but are having a terrible time coming up with boy names!

Girls:
Lauren
Anna
Leah
Brenna
Rachel
Audrey

Boys:
Benjamin
Ian
Liam
Declan

Part time working mama to my awesome 2 yr old dd, and newborn ds hbac.gif

angel1.gif 8/08

#30 of 49 Old 03-10-2009, 09:31 PM

Spring Sun, my spouse also totally vetoed Elliot and Oliver. Ah! Elliot is one of my very favorites, too.

If we have a girl, the problem will be paring down the list to just one name. If we have a boy, the problem will be having a one name we agree on!

For girls, we're having a ten way battle between: Rose, Helena, May, Vivian, Jane, Lily, Elise, Vera, Anne, and Violet. These aren't the only 10 we like, just the top 10. Girl names... I could keep going for ages.

For boys, we both like: Erik, John, Stewart, and Stephen, with my spouse begrudgingly okaying Owen as well.

I have a great uncle named Stuart and a cousin named Steven, and I'm not close enough to either of them to name a child after them (or to want to name a child after them!) so those are a little iffy for me, and John's kind of boring, and Erik is a great name that I've liked on other people but eh... I'm not sure it'll be right for a kid of mine. We'll see!

Mother of two great little guys, G (9/28/09) and W (1/20/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page