Plus Size and Pregnant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-05-2009, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone else plus size and pregnant? I wear a size 18/20 (sometimes when I am breastfeeding the tops are a size bigger). I have been a 18/20 for years. I weigh less right now than I did before I got pregnant with my third. I was seeing a GP who was referring me to a dietician and I was getting on a plan and on the right track to get healthier. I dont have health issues other than the weight and want to keep health issues at bay. I actually had an appt with weight watchers for the same day that I took my first hpt.

I felt like I was on track for the first time in years. Then when I found out I was pregnant I was scared that I would be putting my health on hold for even longer b/c I wouldnt be able to diet. Its been a long few weeks of learing to embrace the pregnancy and to see it for what it is and that I can do both.

I have a hard time eating well in pregnancy. The most I have gained in any of my pregnancies is 11lbs. I usually lose due to m/s. I usually have no appetite. I usually have strong food aversions. For a couple of weeks I did with this pregnancy too. But now I am hungry. I actually want to eat and dont mind cooking this pregnancy. :

I go to an OB (but looking to change to a local MW practice). My OB gave me a 5lb weight gain limit for this pregnancy. That scares me. It scares me that I need to have such a restriction in place and it scares me that I wont be able to hold to it. I guess I am also kind of pissed that someone is telling me what to do.

Is 5lbs reasonable? My babies have all been good size (8.9, 9.11, 8.11) and *knock on wood* I havent had problems with GD. I already tested this pregnancy and so far so good.

I am rambling. If you got this far thanks for reading.
#2 of 18 Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 PM
SMR

5 lbs for a whole pregnancy?? that doesn't seem right!? I think you should eat when you're hungry.. ESP when pregnant! No real advice that just sounds strange to me.

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#3 of 18 Old 02-05-2009, 03:40 PM

Wow, I thought that plus-size mamas were advised to gain about 15 pounds. Frankly I'm amazed that you only gained a few in your previous pregnancies- that doesn't happen to me! You definitely lost weight, since you have nice big babies, and then there are the extra pounds of breasts, blood, water, placenta. That adds up to way more than 11 pounds.

ITA with the pp, I think you should just eat when you're hungry, try to eat healthy foods, and exercise moderately. I would *not* focus on the number on the scale while you're pregnant!

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#4 of 18 Old 02-05-2009, 04:52 PM

You might want to read this

I'm plus size too - no health issues other than the weight. last pg I was told to keep my weight gain under 15 lb... ridiculous if you consider the baby's weight, weight of amniotic fluid and increased blood volume. There is a movement in the medical community to move the recommended weight gains down for women of all sizes - and for women who are plus size some docs are actually recommending weight loss. For those who don't have other health issues (other than being big), the increase in risk of complications is fairly small.

FTR: I only gained 12 # with pg1, and lost 12.5 # with pg 2.

I'd ditch that doc ASAP.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#5 of 18 Old 02-05-2009, 08:05 PM

I'm in the same situation as you. We got married Christmas eve, my dress was size 20. I had gained ALOT of weight (50 lbs) after the birth of our son, I think looking back I may have been either mildly depressed or had major thyriod issues after his birth. I was so exhausted I barely left the house all year, I didn't have the energy to do anything beyond care for my baby, and although I tried to eat healthily it didn't matter much because I was pretty much housebound. So, when this little surprise came along (it's a honeymoon baby, we found out the day before our son turned 1 ) I was so scared about the weight. I saw my family doc, she knew I had been trying to lose weight since his birth. She had recommended weight watchers but we couldn't afford it.
Anyway, she wants me to "give 30 lbs to my baby". I'm *supposed* to be trying to not gain a pound, because according to her I can afford not to, but I'm not going to be stupid about it. I'm growing a baby, for goodness sake. I've lost 6 lbs so far, but I'm still eating when I'm hungry, it's just a high-protein diet with lots of fruit and veggies. I've replaced juice with low-fat soy milk, I keep fruit at work for snacks and have a high protein lunch, little things like that. I take my prenatal vitamins and an omega 3 supplement. It seems to be working, at least for now. I doubt my ability to not gain a pound, especially in the next two trimesters. I think it's unrealistic and I expect my midwives will feel that way too. Still, it's worth a shot at trying to gain less this time, especially since I don't want to fall into depression again if I gain crazy weight with this babe.... that won't do my children any good at all.
As for the 5 lbs thing... does it really do anyone any good to set a number in stone like that? You're bound to stress over it and I imagine that's just as bad for your baby as a few extra pounds on you would be. If you want to gain less, just do your best at eating well and try to get in an extra half an hour of activity each day, but please try not to stress. your body is doing a magical, beautiful thing and it needs nourishment to do it's job!
Best of luck!

Me + him = DS 01/08 & DD 09/09 X2
#6 of 18 Old 02-05-2009, 08:47 PM

I'm probably a 16/18 right now. I just entered 2nd trimester - so far I haven't gained much if anything. I was told to gain 15-25#. With DS I think I gained about 28#.

I found a couple of books that have been helpful:

Big, Beautiful, and Pregnant: Expert Advice and Comforting Wisdom for the Expecting Plus-Size Woman

Your Plus-Size Pregnancy: The Ultimate Guide for the Full-Figured Expectant Mom

HTH

First and foremost, Mama to Owen blahblah.gif (7/21/04), Annalieseenergy.gif  (7/29/09), and somebody new bigeyes.gif  (due Feb 2012), and wife to Andrew (9/12/98). Also passionate about and loving the work I do in Organizational Development.

#7 of 18 Old 02-05-2009, 11:08 PM

well, I'm a 16/18 also and I can tell you you CAN have a healthy good size baby without gaining much weight at ALL.

With my first, I was a 12/14 and gained 35 lbs.....managed to keep every stinking one of those by baby's first birthday So, here I have remained since then.

BUT - here's the interesting part..... I had hypermesis with Grace - and so in the first 4 months I lost about 22 lbs.....and then I just gained back 15-20 of that in the last 5 months...so I gave birth at EXACTLY the same weight as I started.....but after that baby came out (at nearly 6lbs 13oz) I was SKINNY, for me - and by two weeks later, even skinnier. Sadly - I managed to go RIGHT back to square one and now HERE I SIT back at 16/18 LOL

I've only lost about 5lbs so far with this pregnancy, but I'm really going to try to gain NOTHING - not one lb, for the whole pregnancy. I'd like to end right here where I am right now. I don't know if it's feasible - but I know the baby will be JUST FINE!

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#8 of 18 Old 02-05-2009, 11:38 PM

i'm a very fluffy mama (tops sz 26/28, bottoms typically 24/26) and i am trying to not go crazy, but have been ravenous this pregnancy whereas other i had hyperemesis. i've already gained weight at only 10 wks in.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#9 of 18 Old 02-06-2009, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MabMama View Post
I go to an OB (but looking to change to a local MW practice). My OB gave me a 5lb weight gain limit for this pregnancy. That scares me. It scares me that I need to have such a restriction in place and it scares me that I wont be able to hold to it. I guess I am also kind of pissed that someone is telling me what to do.
Do not walk... RUN away from that OB practice. That is not safe advice to be giving to ANY pregnant woman, regardless of her size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia24 View Post
I've only lost about 5lbs so far with this pregnancy, but I'm really going to try to gain NOTHING - not one lb, for the whole pregnancy. I'd like to end right here where I am right now. I don't know if it's feasible - but I know the baby will be JUST FINE!
Do not count on the baby being "just fine" if you're actively trying to not gain weight during pregnancy. Malnutrition during pregnancy can lead to problems like pre-eclampsia which can kill both you and your baby.

OP - I recommend you check out Blue Ribbon Baby. I don't agree with his grain recommendations at all, but his recommendations for protein, fat and produce are right on IMO. Protein and fat are crucial during pregnancy for proper brain development, and as a bonus they also help to provide you with that feeling of being full. Do not be afraid of fat - just eat it in it's healthy forms. Come on over to the Traditional Foods board to get some great information on a healthy diet to be eating at this crucial time in your life.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#10 of 18 Old 02-06-2009, 12:05 AM

Not in your DDC, but my OB says nothing to me about my weight or my weight gain. I'm 5'8" and 220...I wear a 14/16...technically, I'm obese. In my first pregnancy (15 lbs heavier at the beginning) my OB told me to gain around 25 to 35 pounds...I ended up gaining 55 or so, and she didn't say a word to me.

This time around, I know that the excessive weight gain caused some problems in my first pregnancy...so, I'm aiming to gain only around 15 pounds...but I won't be upset with 20, I suppose. However, my OB actually said, "Your weight looks great" at my first appointment.

I think the key is healthy eating and regular exercise. As long as your treating your body well...what else can you do, you know? I think 5 lbs sounds super restrictive.

I have a a thin friend who gained 45 pounds with her first...and with her second...she watched what she ate very carefully and exercised very regularly...and she still gained 40 pounds. I think our bodies just gain what they're supposed to as long as we're making good decisions about our health.
#11 of 18 Old 02-06-2009, 02:51 AM

I'm about 40 pounds over where I'd like to be & perhaps 60 over where "they" say I should be. I think that if you focus on eating well--blue ribbon baby is an excellent place to start, you will be fine. You certainly don't want to trade a low weight gain for an undernourished baby.

I gained about 40 pounds w/ DD (I was still overweight, but about 30#s less). At my 6 week post partum appointment 30 of those pounds were gone. It's hard to believe that that wasn't a healthy gain for me.

I think we will all be better served by eating extremely well, taking care of our bodies & not fussing too much about the pounds.

I totally understand not being pleased about being told what to do. I dislike it so much that I rebel even when I'm the one telling me what to do!
#12 of 18 Old 02-06-2009, 01:11 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
me! This is my first baby. TBH, I'm really terrified of gaining weight. The ob said that I should keep under a 15 pound gain. I'm eating, but I'm def. trying to stay away from junk and def not eating until I'm stuffed. (but I don't go hungry either). But it's all getting harder the more morning sickness kicks in.

I've already lost a few pounds, and I don't know if that's good or bad. I've switched to a midwife, who says that she'll hook me up with a nutritionist, which makes me feel better.

Sorry... I know that I'm no help

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#13 of 18 Old 02-06-2009, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I will check out the links and book suggestions. I have the blog that was suggested open in another window now. Very interesting.
#14 of 18 Old 02-06-2009, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tig99Nroo03 View Post
i'm a very fluffy mama (tops sz 26/28, bottoms typically 24/26) and i am trying to not go crazy, but have been ravenous this pregnancy whereas other i had hyperemesis. i've already gained weight at only 10 wks in.

"Fluffy Mama"... I LOVE it!
#15 of 18 Old 02-06-2009, 07:04 PM

Cristeen~

I'm not planning to be 'restrictive' at all. I'm just not going to go willy nilly eating whatever I want whenever I want, just bc I'm pregnant....which I HAVE to do in the beginning, bc there is so LITTLE I want, but I did that with my first pregnancy and it was no good. I would propose that each woman's body is different, and a weight gain that might be 'right' for one may be too much or too little for another.....my main point was that I don't think any NUMBER is necessarily the 'right' number - you have to trust your OWN body and listen to it. I would also suggest, that too MUCH weight gain, especially in a heavier woman could cause preeclampsia as well which I KNOW to be a very serious condition - there's just no one formula, yk?

maybe even that each PREGNANCY has a different 'right' amount, yk?

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#16 of 18 Old 02-06-2009, 08:19 PM

There is a fantastic mom on the ICAN site who runs this website:

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/

I cannot say enough about how wonderful and knowledgeable she is. It's not just for plus size mamas either.

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  
#17 of 18 Old 02-07-2009, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa_nc View Post
There is a fantastic mom on the ICAN site who runs this website:

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/

I cannot say enough about how wonderful and knowledgeable she is. It's not just for plus size mamas either.

Thank you. I had checked out this site when someone mentioned it. I really like her section on plus size and baby wearing.
#18 of 18 Old 02-08-2009, 02:01 AM

I've been thinking about this thread a lot the last day or so. I think it is possible to have a healthy pregnancy/baby with a small weight gain. I also think it is possible to gain more & still be healthy. Our bodies are different from one another's & change over time. I feel like if we eat well & take care of ourselves with exercise/activity appropriate to our current situation, we will do well. This may result in a gain of 5 pounds or a gain of 55 pounds. It bothers me that we might feel bad about that because of either our own ideas or someone else's. Ideally, we will all be kind to ourselves both in the way we talk and think about ourselves & how we nurture our bodies (now and after pregancy).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page