Vegan mamas, WHAT are you eating?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-11-2009, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I normally prepare all our food from scratch. I haven't cooked in weeks. I ate potato chips and honey toast for lunch. I'm not actually a vegan, I will eat eggs and fish, but eat a mostly vegan diet and avoid dairy. I have been eating dairy because most prepared foods contain either cheese or meat. I did eat some deer once and it made me feel worse so no more of that. I am also breastfeeding and have lost a couple pounds. There are no prepared vegan foods! What do you eat?!

Michelle, wife to Ryan, mommy to Gabriel 6/23/2007 and Susanna 9/19/2009
#2 of 5 Old 02-11-2009, 07:29 PM

I stopped taking my prenatals, so I've gone to a more lacto-veg diet. I can't keep track of what I'm eating and what I need on a vegan diet with the move going on right now, so it's just easier to add back dairy (and not avoiding egg as much, but I don't think I could outright eat eggs). In fact, I've been craving cheese HORRIBLY. So I've been eating it.

I don't cook at all at the best of times, and right now with getting ready to pack and move 3000 miles I don't do more than open a can here. There are vegan soups I like, there are some vegan prepared meals. I keep fruits and frozen veggies on hand. Applesauce. But our kitchen is going to be shut down by the end of the week, so I doubt I'll have more than one or two things on hand at all. Today I had chick fil a salad and fries for lunch, and I craved a Wendy's frosty for dessert (which is not sitting well, I had forgotten how that much dairy didn't appreciate me anyway).

Wendy

Wendy, certified child passenger safety technician
Mommy to Piper Mayhew (7/26/02) and my unassisted homebirth Laine Anjou (9/16/09)
#3 of 5 Old 02-12-2009, 02:32 PM

I'm vegetarian, so not sure if this will be helpful. I don't eat any meat or fish, but will occassionally have something (like a store-bought baked thing) with egg in it.

I haven't been cooking much at all lately either - cooking just makes me feel ill and then there is no way I could think of eating whatever I made anyways!
There *are* prepared vegan foods out there, but you would need to look in the frozen section of a health/organic food store. I know DP has had burritos or pizza that are vegan - but they aren't cheap.

I've actually been eating things raw more often than I used to, my stomach can handle a raw carrot much more easily over a cooked one. Lots of nuts, seeds, raisins, fruit. And I've been eating a lot of cereal and oatmeal, pancakes/crepes, muffins, toast etc. At this point that's all I can really get down. Oooh and I was making fruit smoothies with soy milk, strawberries, banana, flax seed oil, orange juice, etc. I'm really having trouble with veggies right now, they just turn my stomach!

I hope to have the energy to cook, and the stomach to handle some decently healthy food soon!!

Erin

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
#4 of 5 Old 02-23-2009, 12:32 AM

Hi:
I am not in your DDC, but saw this post while searching threads for somehthing else. I am a strict vegetarian, mostly vegan and I very much relied on "The Vegetarian Mother's Cookbook: Whole Foods to Nourish Pregnant and Breastfeeding Women". It tells you which meals are high in protien, calcium and other nutrients, which can be made quickly, which freeze well, which are good for morning sickness, constipation and other common pregnancy issues.

Veganomicon is also an excellent vegan cookbook, and the PCRM website has recipes and advice (http://www.pcrm.org/health/recipes/).

Earlier in my pregnancy when I felt queasy and tired, I ate a lot of PB sandwiches, hummus sandwiches, pasta with white beans, protein bars ( I think Luna and Cliff are both vegan). And soy milk and fruit shakes with protein powder added.

My local supermarket has a TON of prepared vegan foods (Amy's is a favorite brand of mine.). I know there are vegan supermarkets on-line that ship if you arent as lucky

Good luck, Andie
#5 of 5 Old 02-24-2009, 02:41 PM

I tried some eggs and cheese this pregnancy. Was over cheese at the first bite and eggs have lost their appeal. So, I am back to being fully vegan. I have had the itch to eat some free range turkey but haven't indulged. Oh, did try some fish and that set well. But, I am really liking Yves vegan ham slices on a sandwich. Boca burgers on a bun. My favorite is chocolate soymilk. Anytime I feel sick that seems to settle my stomach. I am guessing it is the protein in it and that is has such a pleasing smell. I used to love beans and rice and I really don't that much right now. Fruits are good but don't really like nuts right now. But, every now and then a peanut butter and jelly sandwich really hits the spot. There is really no one vegan food that is working for me besides the chocolate soymilk.

The boca burgers, I am guessing because of protein amount, really do seem to help though. I notice a real difference on the days I eat them and even up to the next day I just have more energy and feel better overall.

I really hope you find what works for you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page