Anyone else thinking about UC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 02-11-2009, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know there is a forum for Unassisted Childbirth, but I wanted to see if anyone that was due around when I am is thinking about it? I had dd at home with a CPM. I have a midwife picked out here, but I'm on the fence about it (and she lives about 1hr15min away. Just wanting to find a buddy who might be thinking about it to.
#2 of 21 Old 02-11-2009, 06:52 PM

Sort of lurking, but I'm due at the end of August, so I may end up with a September baby, so you could say I'm not completely lurking

I'm planning to UC. I used a midwife in a birthing center the last time and didn't feel as fulfilled as I will with a homebirth. I have my reason for wanting to UC, as everyone does, but I'm really excited about taking birth into my own hands.

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#3 of 21 Old 02-11-2009, 07:26 PM

I'm planning to UC. In fact, we were house hunting this past weekend and I was checking out bathtubs for birthing in. LOL It may come down to which house has the best tub for a baby.

My doctor here knows that I'm planning to UC, and I have a midwife lined up as well who knows of our plans. So we're good. :-) I'm excited. In all my dreams it's either just me, or me, Nathan, and Piper.

Wendy

Wendy, certified child passenger safety technician
Mommy to Piper Mayhew (7/26/02) and my unassisted homebirth Laine Anjou (9/16/09)
#4 of 21 Old 02-11-2009, 07:40 PM

I'm not planning one, but I have had one accidental so I am preparing for one, just in case (if that makes sense).

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  
#5 of 21 Old 02-11-2009, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think UC is fine. It used to be all babies were born that way. Frankly, if medical were not in such a bad situation, we would not need to resort to UC. I am considering it too.
#6 of 21 Old 02-11-2009, 09:06 PM
Banned

yes,up/uc god willing x:
#7 of 21 Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 PM

I would like a UC. DH is not so on board this time - although last time he was fine with it. I'm trying to find a midwife who would be willing to "sit in the corner and knit" while I labor, but so far have not found one.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#8 of 21 Old 02-12-2009, 12:27 AM

I had a UP/UC last time with my son and it was fantastic! We are so excited to be doing it again.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#9 of 21 Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 AM

I will have a CPM here, for my husbands sake, but I am hoping for it to be as UC as possible with her only checking in if/when needed. I feel so much more confident after delivering/catching my first baby last month with no mw there.

nicole, wife & very blessed mom of 2 fun boys '03 & '05 & sweet girl '10. 2ndtri.gifDue 1-6-13 hbac.gifwaterbirth.jpg

#10 of 21 Old 02-12-2009, 03:29 PM

This would be our ideal (dh and mine) but I have such a mental roadblock that we decided we are better off having someone there. Our hb midwife has said that we can essentially have uc and she'll hang out just in case we need her, which is fine with us. Birth is such a mental process that I think I would create more problems with stress about the 'what ifs' so we decided to pay someone to hang out with us LOL

Erin

Erin : ~~ unschooling mama to DD (12) , DS (11) :, DS (8) and DS (3) , DD Soleil Emily Meadow (9-18-09) born at home in the water
#11 of 21 Old 02-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Banned

:::
#12 of 21 Old 02-24-2009, 03:16 PM

Yes, God willing. This will be my 5th Unassisted birth. My previous unassisted birth was my baby girl born face up in only 4 hours! Such a quick time I think for a little girl determined to be born facing the world. Unassisted birth is the best way I think.
#13 of 21 Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 PM

I'm... considering (and learning a lot about!) this option.

I know DH and I both have the training and skills to do this, but my last birth was horrible. I suspect it was horrible because of the interventions, not in spite of them, but I'm terribly apprehensive at this point.
#14 of 21 Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 PM

I am seriously considering a UC this time, as I don't really want a hospital birth, but homebirth is so expensive.

#15 of 21 Old 02-24-2009, 04:30 PM

Yep, planning on a UC. Super excited!

Vanessa, human of many awesome and not so awesome qualities. ; married to my Scorpio
mama to Ayden 6 years and Gena born 9/16/09
#16 of 21 Old 02-24-2009, 05:14 PM

i am also considering this. not sure that i am brave enough to go it alone though. it would be a VBAC which makes me a little nervous.
but, that said, i really, really do not want labor and birth in the hospital. i called the only midwife in my area a few weeks ago, and she may not be practicing after the summer due to new regulations and a new provincial midwifery initiative that my area of Nova Scotia is choosing to be a part of. she may attend births as more of a labor support person, if which case i'd be having sort of a UC. i'm keeping my fingers crossed and trying to think positive thoughts that it will all work out and i can have the relaxing homebirth i've been dreaming of.
#17 of 21 Old 02-24-2009, 06:14 PM

: Im strongly considering it. My only concern is breaking it to my preceptor (she was my mw for ds) She knows Im pg and asked if I wanted to start prenatal care and I nonchalantly shrugged her off "oh, Im still really early, we have plenty of time to figure that out.".....

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#18 of 21 Old 02-24-2009, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

I think I've ruled out UC for our next birth. After reflecting back on my DD's birth, she had slight dystocia and also had some heart tone drops and hang ups that I feel like I would not have been prepared for, although I'm sure I would have been much more educated about birth if I had done an UC. So, I think I will see how #2 goes and consider it for #3. Meanwhile we are interviewing midwives.
#19 of 21 Old 02-24-2009, 09:17 PM

not me. the very slight chanceof something going wrong would mean transfer to the most UN baby-friendly hospital in our region, so no way.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#20 of 21 Old 02-25-2009, 01:03 AM

Dreaming about it. DH certainly won't be up for it, but the timing may just be on my side, if only we call the MW late enough.......with #2, the midwife came just 10 or 15 minutes before DD was born!
#21 of 21 Old 02-26-2009, 01:27 AM

I'd prefer a "lifeguard" sitting around waiting for a baby to be born, but it's looking less and less like we'll be able to have one AND stay home (thank you, NY laws). I'm really against going to the hospital if I don't have a reason to, but DH is against UC (surprisingly, he was more for it with DS1 and I've had completely uncomplicated deliveries). We shall see what happens. We're both (expired) EMTs and I think he could handle it, he's not so sure. I know I don't think I could help in late labor, I can barely move at all then.

Bean : Mama to DSs and (& :, 4 goats & 7 ) and two fraternal twin BOYS 9-19-09 (+ 1 daytime boy)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page