When does the insomnia become dangerous? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2009, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, I'll try to make this coherent. I think I'm about 8 weeks along. I've been having insomnia on and off and have had it early on in my earlier pregnancies too, but it's getting really, really bad. I haven't slept for . . . 40 hours, I think? I woke up at 10:30cst on Friday morning and haven't slept since (you do the math, I can't). I've tried to sleep, but when I lay down my mind races and I feel like I need to move. How long can this go on before it starts to endanger the pregnancy?

Is there anything you can think of that's safe to take during pregnancy?

Tanya ~~ mother to: Beth, 12 -- Cali & Trent, 9 -- Melanie, 8 -- Jesse & Davin, 5 -- Baby Shae 9/1/2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 11:26 AM

Unisom should be safe since it's recommended for morning sickness. I was having a horrible problem with insomnia until I started turning the heat OFF at night. All the way off. The house gets down to about 56 at night, and I'm sleeping much better. Something about being pregnant makes me feel hot at night, but I hadn't even realized that's what the problem was until a few nights ago.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:21 PM

I second all it's just apples' suggestions and will add that putting a humidifier in our bedroom at night (we live in the desert and it's very dry here) has also helped me fall and stay asleep, both b/c of the moister air AND the white noise effect. I've also been trying REALLY hard not to nap at all during the day, even though I've been ridiculously tired lately, b/c then I can never get to sleep at bedtime.

I hope you catch a break (and some Z-Z-Z-Zs) very soon!

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
Old 02-15-2009, 03:09 PM

I don't think you need to worry about the lack of sleep directly effecting the baby's health, but since you're so exhausted, you may make careless decisions and/or have accidents that could jeopardize you AND the baby.

Definitely try some Unisom, it's category A for pregnancy, and will hopefully let you sleep. Also, do you have help with your other children? Get someone to take them somewhere for a few hours so you can relax, even if you don't sleep.

Get some fresh air...I forget where you live, can you get outside? Sunlight, particularly early morning sun, will help to reset your circadian rhythm. Get some exercise during the day, and if your climate allows, go for a leisurely relaxing walk before bedtime. Try some warm milk or tea (non-caffeinated) then get cozy in bed. A warm bath might help...and the suggestions about your room environment could help (cool air, white noise, etc) I like to snuggle up with a heating pad when I first go to bed.

Good luck, and here's hoping you get some sleep soon!!!

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
Old 02-15-2009, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

I got two hours of sleep this afternoon, so I feel a little bit better. I got trapped under a pair of sleeping 4yos, so I couldn't toss, turn, and squirm like I want to every time I lay down, then eventually fell asleep.

It's just apples, you're totally right about the heat. This house is suffocatingly hot all year around. Unfortunately, the rest of the family likes it that way. Maybe I'll try sleeping in the guest room downstairs. That's cooler than upstairs and I can open the window if I want.

2boyzmama, I live in Oklahoma and our weather is OK (chilly, but not too bad). I'll try taking a walk before bed and taking the unisom and see if that helps at all.

Thanks for the suggestions and I'm glad to hear it's probably not hurting the baby. I'll definitely do my best to avoid risky situations (like driving) until I have enough rest to do it safely.

Tanya ~~ mother to: Beth, 12 -- Cali & Trent, 9 -- Melanie, 8 -- Jesse & Davin, 5 -- Baby Shae 9/1/2009
Old 02-16-2009, 01:04 AM

hey mama! i started taking magnesium because of the sleep thing and headaches and i feel much much better. just watch what kind of magnesium you take (ie. mag citrate) because it can cause diarrhea. i use a brand called pure essence labs ionic magnesium fizz. it tastes like pink lemonade. i drink a pint glass every evening. it has totally made a difference with me.

good luck.

mama to cecilia and rosa with 1 old:
Old 02-16-2009, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

OK, I'll get some magnesium tomorrow and try it. I've been having headaches a lot too, though it's hard to separate what's pregnancy symptoms and what's sleep deprivation at this point.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:08 PM

I don't have any advice, but just wanted to say that I'm having the same problem. I fall asleep for one hour, then I can't sleep for the rest of the night. Just toss and turn all night long, with my mind racing. I'm hoping we get through this soon.

Married to my perfect match since July 2007 and joyfully expecting our first sometime around September 23rd!:
Old 02-17-2009, 05:16 AM - Thread Starter

LibertyBelle insomnia just plain sucks. This is what I get for not having m/s I guess.

I couldn't sleep at all last night, but I did sleep for about 3 hours this afternoon. Woke up to Jesse and Davin shouting that there was fire--there wasn't anything on fire. Cali and Trent were watching a DVD with explosions. This not understanding that TV isn't real thing must end . . .

I got some magnesium and took it this evening. I actually feel like I might be able to sleep tonight. :

Old 02-17-2009, 06:37 AM

Hope you are in bed and snoozing away as I type this.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:52 PM

I've had to take unisom every night....I cannot sleep without it, and I can't function and take care of my kids! I know how you feel...

User Tag List