Mothering Forum banner

Nuts!

486 views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  cristeen 
#1 ·
I've been snooping around on Google about nut consumption during pregnancy. Some say avoid nuts completely especially if you have a family history of nut allergies (I don't, I LOOOVE my peanut butter! Chris doesn't have nut allergies either), some say there's not enough evidence, others say nuts in moderation are fine, and still others say avoid peanuts but other types of nuts are fine.

It's driving me NUTS!
Oh gosh I'm dorky. Anyway, what should I do?

See less See more
#5 ·
i ALWAYS thought the no peanuts thing was actually counter intuitive -- like, avoid something and you will get an allergy, basically. like kids who grow up without dogs and cats get more allergies.

well the recent news is this: they are now backtracking and saying the whole nut avoidance thing may be doing just this -- making more allergies!

i ate tons o nuts with DS and gave him pb starting at a young age and he is fine with all of it.

(if you dont have a history of course)

i say go for it.

#6 ·
I say it's a non-issue, I wouldn't eat MORE, but I wouldn't eat less either....unless you have a family history, in which case I can understand the avoidance theory....yk?

pbaj is a SERIOUS staple in this house- both my kids got it at the stroke of 1 year, I will admit to being a nutjob of a mom who fed it to them for breakfast and made sure there was benadryl in the house - just - in - case, though

#7 ·
I think moderation is the key to everything. Exposure in utero seems to me to logically equal less problems outside the uterus, but I can understand the fear that overdoing it could trigger an immune response as well. So moderation, moderation, moderation

#9 ·
Just a reminder to all you peanut butter lovers out there (and we're a household of PBJ too!), remember that there is an extensive recall on peanut butter products right now due to salmonella contamination. When Connor was hospitalized last week with what we suspected was Rotavirus (and it turned out to be rota), they also tested him for salmonella, and it scared the heck out of me! We had screened all our products against the recall, but I was nervous we had missed something.

#10 ·
I remember asking my OB during my last pregnancy, and it was her opinion that if nuts are avoided during pregnancy it may raise the risk of allergies for the child later on. I went ahead and ate lots of nuts (I'm vegetarian, they are a big part of my diet) - and DS now eats PB sandwiches daily. lol

Erin

#13 ·
I was just about to ask the same thing! I love peanut butter and honey toast, and peanut butter and apples, and do not want to give those up, but I had asked my midwife about eating peanuts and she told me I shouldn't be eating them, so I was wondering if I should or shouldn't. I guess I'll keep eating them!

#15 ·
Really, I'm of the opinion that if something sounds good and goes down nicely during pregnancy, take advantage of it. In my first pregnancy, I was eating TONS of PB crackers, since that was the only thing I could keep down. This time I'm not eating tons of it, since my m/s isn't as bad, but I'm still enjoying it when I want it. In fact just this morning I made a batch of PB so we could have fresh on our bagels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.