I cant breath!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any tips on clearing my nose so i can actually breath through my nose? I got over a sinus infection about 2 weeks ago but it started before that. I heard that being pregnant affects the tissues in the nose as well as other areas. Im just so sick of having chapped lips. Im close to sticking straws up my nostrils!!

Bre

Wonderful mom to Jojo:girlfriend to Eric and expecting 9/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 01:13 PM

Use a saline rinse. You can find it at any drugstore, should be with the cold remedies. It's kind of gross, but it really works!

So this is bliss! Proud mama to Katie, born gently at home 10/4/09, wife to my nursing student hubby (LPN down, RN here we come!), and coming in September....Katie's little brother!
#3 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 01:31 PM

yeah - I was going to suggest a netti pot. I haven't actually used one myself - yet - but my girlfriends SWEAR by it! I have a mildly stuffed up nose during MOST of my pregnancy - so I just get used to cleaning it out every morning and after every shower - pretty much controls it

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#4 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia24 View Post
yeah - I was going to suggest a netti pot. I haven't actually used one myself - yet - but my girlfriends SWEAR by it! I have a mildly stuffed up nose during MOST of my pregnancy - so I just get used to cleaning it out every morning and after every shower - pretty much controls it
My mom has one and swears by it. Last time I had a cold I used it... That's gotta be the strangest thing I've ever done! It's a very weird thing to pour water intentionally into your nose... and watch it come out the other side!! I was near the end of my cold anyways, but it did help with dryness and the "clogged up" feeling. FWIW, I'd be willing to use it again.

Strong single mama to Ethan (9/09) and Rowyn (7/12)
#5 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 04:26 PM

I second the saline rinse..
#6 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 05:40 PM

i thrid the salin rinse. imo the actual ones in the squeezable bottle seem to work better than just the neti pot. ymmv.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#7 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Ugh--I hear you. I've had sinus problems my whole life, and pregnancy just makes me more stuffy and swollen-feeling! I've been having trouble sleeping because I get so congested,

I fourth the saline rinse suggestion. Also, this homeopathic nasal spray is fantastic!

I decided today to cut out cow dairy (I'm going to try just goat products for a week or so) to see how much that helps.

crochetsmilie.gif mama to DD 8/06, DS 9/09

Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul jammin.gif
#8 of 9 Old 02-21-2009, 09:54 PM

saline rinse and standing in a hot shower 2x daily. i am on abx more times than i can count, all year long, because of horrible sinus infections and the saline and showers is all i do during pregnancy. hang in there, i know how you feel and it's miserable

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#9 of 9 Old 02-22-2009, 01:35 PM

Here is what I've been doing to survive my cold and hopefully avoid a sinus infection (which I am prone to):

I boil water, smear a little mentholatum (or Vicks) in the bottom of a metal bowl, pour the boiling water in, wait for a minute (unless you like it HOT) and then sit with a large tea towel around the bowl and over my head breathing the steam. Oh yum, like a little sauna for your face.

Then I take a wash rag and put hot compresses on my face.

My other tricks are the Neil Med Sinus Rinse (like the Neti Pot) and the steamy showers.

After that, I just watch for signs of spring.

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page