Should I really be laying on my side allll the time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-21-2009, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all,

I'm just over 11 weeks. I hate laying on my side, and my left shoulder gets really sore if I'm on it for too long. So I've been spending part of the night on each side, and part on my back as well. Is this really bad at this point??

I can't remember when it is recommended to not lay on our backs, and would certainly stop if this was a big no-no....

erin

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 02-21-2009, 11:44 PM

i've been doing about a fourth on all sides... back, tummy, and both sides. i too have a problem on my left even though i know that is most recommended.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#3 of 14 Old 02-22-2009, 02:26 AM

I can't stay in one position without getting sore, either. I try to move from one position to the other as much as possible. I'm going to take full advantage of being able to sleep on my back while I still can!

I think that the "lft side sleeping only" thing comes into play when you get a lot bigger, because there are less organs on the left side of the body so the weight of the baby is less likely to be putting pressure on the major organs.

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
#4 of 14 Old 02-22-2009, 02:29 AM

don't worry, it's not a big deal. it's stressed a lot more than it needs to be. Lay however it comfortable!
#5 of 14 Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 AM

when it gets to the point of reducing blood flow, you'll be uncomfortable. lay however is comfy for you
#6 of 14 Old 02-22-2009, 04:40 AM

Especially that early in pregnancy, I don't think it's a problem. I'm almost at 27 weeks and am finally getting to the point where it's less comfortable on my back, though I try to sleep primarily on my sides, but my midwife wasn't very concerned about it when I brought it up. If I recall correctly, she said that the concern seems overblown to her, especially since doctors and hospitals tend to have you labor on your back (we could get into a whole other discussion about what a lousy idea THAT can be, but that's a topic for another thread). I'd say if you're still more comfortable sleeping a certain way, enjoy it while you can! I was a stomach sleeper and that's been tricky for weeks now, but I also slept on my back quite a bit for the first few months with no adverse effects.

If you're still concerned or uncomfortable, pillows can help a ton as well.

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

#7 of 14 Old 02-22-2009, 10:48 AM

ITAWOP - lay how you want while you can!!!

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#8 of 14 Old 02-22-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearmama22 View Post
don't worry, it's not a big deal. it's stressed a lot more than it needs to be. Lay however it comfortable!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia24 View Post
ITAWOP - lay how you want while you can!!!
I firmly believe that we have WAY way way too many rules for things that we aren't allowed to do and/or eat during pregnancy. for the most part, your body will tell you, if you are listenting, when something isn't a good idea.

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#9 of 14 Old 02-22-2009, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oh good. I was starting to feel guilty that I may be reducing bloodflow to my baby because I like sleeping on my back.

I thought about the labouring thing too - you would think that would be the worst time to be laying on your back (for multiple reasons, of course), if it really does reduce blood flow to the baby??

Erin

Mama to DS 02/15/06, and DD born 08/31/09!
#10 of 14 Old 02-22-2009, 03:42 PM

a nice long pillow between your legs, or under your arm, or behind your back, really helps with laying on your side! i went to ross where they have a million cheap pillows and went nuts

also youll find you adapt to it, i never slept on my side til last pregnancy, and i stuck with the habit ever since.

kind of like riding a bike, you know where your butt hurts at first and suddenly you toughen up

living in the with DH, DS (5-30-07) and DD (9-26-09) don't forget the dogs, cat, fish, toads and geckos.....
#11 of 14 Old 02-22-2009, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaspeach View Post
when it gets to the point of reducing blood flow, you'll be uncomfortable. lay however is comfy for you
:

you'll know when you're not supposed to be on your back anymore, it will just be uncomfortable.
I wouldn't worry about it until at least your 2nd tri.

student momma to two great girls

#12 of 14 Old 02-22-2009, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnie View Post
I thought about the labouring thing too - you would think that would be the worst time to be laying on your back (for multiple reasons, of course), if it really does reduce blood flow to the baby??
It is the absolute worst time, and not only for reduced blood flow reasons.

Like the pp said, when you should no longer be on your back, it will start making you uncomfortable. Whether that means it's physically painful for your back, or whether it means you have trouble breathing or an overall sense of something not being right.

This early though, enjoy laying on your back and your tummy while you can.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#13 of 14 Old 02-23-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmitrizmom View Post
I firmly believe that we have WAY way way too many rules for things that we aren't allowed to do and/or eat during pregnancy. for the most part, your body will tell you, if you are listenting, when something isn't a good idea.
Yes, try not to get too caught up in these things. The only time I worried about my body positioning (sleeping or awake) was when I was close to my due date and wanted to make sure he wasn't posterior (which he had been up to that point).

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
#14 of 14 Old 02-23-2009, 08:58 AM

With my past pregnancies I laid on my back until it felt uncomfortable for me, which was usually later in the pregnancy. I'm usually a side sleeper but here lately I've had a time getting comfortable on either side. So odd. And I'm very early in the pregnancy still.

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page