transvaginal u/s? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had this before? I've had u/s with my other two children in the past but never one this early on. I get one this week but they have to do it vaginally. They are doing it to figure the EDD and look for the heartbeat. What should I expect? How long does it take? Does the thingie hurt inside or how big is it? (sorry, tmi)

Proud *single* mom to 3 amazing kiddos
#2 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 09:30 AM

Honestly, it looks like a dildo that they put a condom on Serious! With my first pregnancy, the tech let me insert it myself, which was kind of awkward, since i was laying there in stirrups! With my second, it was the dr doing the ultrasound, and he put it in. I haven't had one this pregnancy.

It shouldn't hurt, they lube it up well. Although a couple times they pushed up against my cervix pretty hard, and that wasn't comfortable. Frankly, though, I was distracted by the beautiful baby on the screen and could care less about any discomfort!!!

Good luck, and post a picture if you get one

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#3 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 10:07 AM

No it shouldn't hurt. Mine took maybe 5 minutes. Just long enough to check the baby's heartbeat and give me the e.d.d.

Jess  SAHM to Daniel  (09/07) and Samuel  (06/10)and Katie Lee (11/11) we're with #4 edd 4/15 Wifey to my "geek" : David  for 14 yrs. ( 4/09 @ 19 weeks).
#4 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 10:51 AM

I've had 3, I got prego while on a IUD, so they nedded to find the IUD.. and then make sure all was good.

its true it looks like a dildo and it should not hurt. and I also had some that asked me to put it in and other that did it themselves... not sure which one is better.

its exitieng ... soon you will hear the heartbeat!

mom to , and two pups
#5 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 11:03 AM

ditto the response 2boyz
I do have a retroverted uterus so I find they have to "dig" a bit to find what they are looking for especially in the beginning
all that said I did not find it painful
but she did give me some 3d pictures that was cool

wife & holistic mama of 1 girl, 1 boy and 1 :
#6 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 11:24 AM
SMR

a HORSE condom!! haha So, I had an ultrasound at 9 weeks as part of a study I'm doing at the hospital on fetal growth. They did this ultrasound on my belly! I had no idea they could do it that early... THEN I had an OB appt 1 week later.. and he did the vaginal one!! I figured he would, since I was getting a pap done and I guess the area was available! It didn't hurt at all.. and was very lovely to see the baby again and how much changing it did over ONE week!! BUT the box of trojans cracked me up.. seriously they must be made for horses!!

I did have a very light tinted brown VERY LIGHT mucus later that day.. you might want to ask if spotting is common too, I've heard that it is. I wouldn't call what I had as spotting.. but they didn't mention anything like that to me and I didn't really like having any colorful mucus coming out either!! Us preggers chicks worry.. no matter what!

Shannon Shaun - DH (and boyfriend since I was 16). my sweet Gwen 1/1/06 missing Dresden born sleeping 39 weeks 9/9/08 :, Delaney is scheduled to arrive 8/31/09 Odin&Loki :
#7 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 02:12 PM

Shouldn't hurt at all. I have had one with both pg's. You can see the baby so much better with one.

Kimberly
(Mama to West (11/07) Mabel Kelly 10/02/09)
#8 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 03:25 PM

I had a scan at 9w to confirm viability. it did hurt me, but I have an ovary that likes to hide and a tilted uterus so they had to dig around for it (they looked at my ovaries too, don't know if that's standard). I had chunky brown spotting for 3 days afterward, but I'd already had several bleeding episodes in this pregnancy
#9 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 03:47 PM

I have had them as early as 5 weeks. It's such a joy to see the little heartbeat. Doesn't hurt unless they aren't experienced and push it in too far - I've only had that happen with an intern.

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#10 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 03:51 PM

I had one at 7 weeks and it was uncomfortable but not horribly painful. I am glad that was the last transvaginal one I'll need. It took a few minutes I think, and the ultrasound wand was about an inch in diameter I think.

Part time working mama to my awesome 2 yr old dd, and newborn ds hbac.gif

angel1.gif 8/08

#11 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 03:51 PM

yeah, why is it that when you are 1st scheduled for a transvaginal, they don't tell you what it means???? I was SO suprised with #1 when she whipped out that "wand" and told me to go undress in the bathroom! Whaaaat????

Anyway, it is not uncomfortable at all, besides having a dildo-type thingy inside you with a complete stranger in the room. I've had them ask me to insert it and them insert it themselves, it's really not as big of a deal as I'd imagined it would be! And yeah, you're WAY too distracted by the baby on the screen!

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
#12 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
Honestly, it looks like a dildo that they put a condom on Serious!
: That's how I described it to DH

#13 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 06:13 PM

had them w each pregnancy, have already had 3 with this one. no pain, just discomfort- more from being in stirrups and bare than from the actual insertion though, lol. all but one time the tech/nurse/ doing the us did the insertion. the one time i had to do it myself was really weird for me.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#14 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just had one. It hurt. But I think it was more the doctor than anything else. I'd see if you could insert the thingy yourself.

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#15 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 10:26 PM

what I want to know is why they do them sometimes and other times just abdominal...and I mean, early on. With my DS, I had an u/s at 8w2d and they did it transvag. With this pregnancy, I just had one on Friday at 8w6d and I assumed it would be transvag, and it was NOT...she did it abdominal and there was baby right away, plain as day. I could not have been more shocked when she just pulled the waistband of my pants a bit lower and then squirted the gel on my belly. But I was sure happy about it!

Now a friend of mine goes to the same practice I do and she is also pregnant, due in June. when she had her early u/s, she was 10 weeks and they did hers transvag. This I cannot figure out?!?!?!

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#16 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 10:36 PM

I had one at 6w6d and SHE did it abdominally, and we could even see the heartbeat that way- to get a good measure, we did switch to vaginal eventually though - it was a tiny bean - I was just happy there was an ACTUAL baby in there, yk?

I've had MANY vaginal us and I've always been asked to insert it myself - I always think it will be way more uncomfortable (socially - not physically) than it is- they're always so professional, imo.

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#17 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boyzmama View Post
Honestly, it looks like a dildo that they put a condom on Serious! With my first pregnancy, the tech let me insert it myself, which was kind of awkward, since i was laying there in stirrups!
OK i am sorry this struck me as SO funny! :
#18 of 24 Old 02-23-2009, 11:12 PM

Every time I've had one, I've inserted it myself.

The last time was very uncomfortable as the dr. was digging around to find my left ovary.

~ deb, BFAR mommy to ds1 Dec 7, 2003, Jan 08, ds2 Sept 20, 2009
#19 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 02:06 AM

I've had 3 over the years and have always been asked to insert the 'magic wand' myself.
#20 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
I just had one. It hurt. But I think it was more the doctor than anything else. I'd see if you could insert the thingy yourself.
I don't know that I'd feel comfortable doing that. I am meeting with a girl to do this. I'm guessing she is experienced at it (hopefully) and does it all the time.

I was planning to let my 6 yr old DD go back with me. Maybe I shouldn't then. My kids have to go with me this afternoon but I planned to let them stay in the lobby. DD will be crushed if she can't come with me.

#21 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcytrue View Post
I don't know that I'd feel comfortable doing that. I am meeting with a girl to do this. I'm guessing she is experienced at it (hopefully) and does it all the time.

I was planning to let my 6 yr old DD go back with me. Maybe I shouldn't then. My kids have to go with me this afternoon but I planned to let them stay in the lobby. DD will be crushed if she can't come with me.
I've had kids in the room, just have her stand up by your head. It will be dark in there and you will have some sort of sheet on you so she won't see anything.

proud mama to: DD (8/02), DS (12/03), DS (11/06), DS (9/09) and pos.gif EDD 11/1

#22 of 24 Old 02-24-2009, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

The u/s went well. The tech actually did everything. There was nothing to it. As I undressed in the bathroom my DD stayed out with her and talked her head off. It was dark in there and I had the sheet thing around me anyway. DD had no idea what was going on. She was just so excited to see and hear the baby's heartbeat (and so was I!!). The bpm were 179.

#23 of 24 Old 02-25-2009, 12:41 AM

the ultrasonographer doing everything is how i prefer it.

glad it went well

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#24 of 24 Old 02-25-2009, 01:50 AM

i had one yesterday- I am 6w1d, and have a lot of medical issues, including a bicornuate uterus, so the tech was.....well, thorough in getting accurate pictures of my entire uterus. I was up on three of the wedge pillows. My 19 month old was in his stroller next to me and thought my near-backbend was the funniest thing he'd ever seen!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page