What do you need to get for this baby? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 02:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is our first, so we need EVERYTHING. Except for 1 doz prefolds and a bunch of RRPs I made during hard-core preconception nesting.
#32 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Of course, I use this as justification as to why I need to own so very many of them! Guin
This is my feeling exactly! (tee hee.) I completely agree with Guinevere on the progression of different carriers for different stages. In particular, a wrap for tiny babies is a versatile, comfortable, and extra-snugly choice.

So, I'm set on baby carriers and most other gear. I think I will pick up some newborn diapers and eventually I want an off-road double jogger. I'll convert my so far useless crib into a toddler bed, and I'm thinking of getting a co-sleeper as a different and better nighttime option (?).
#33 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
eek! This is my first baby and I feel so overwhelmed about this stuff. I had no idea babies needed so much!
The pp are right, they absolutely do not.

I posted above that I already have just about everything covered, and that's for one basic reason - I know I don't need that much.

I have a box of clothes that have been handed down from several friends, and I'm sure I'll get more once we announce the pregnancy. I was given a changing table, although that wasn't on my list of things to buy, you really can't get a better price than free. My DH bought me a rocking chair (which was my one requirement for my own comfort). I found a Moby at a children's consignment shop a couple weeks ago, my grandma has given us 2 Snuglis, and I bought a RS about a year ago in a silent auction. Grandma has already given us one blanket she's made and I know she has at least one more she's been working on. I also have a bunch of blankets my mom made for us as children in my hope chest. And I picked up 15 used fitted diapers from the TP.

Which leaves the car seat for grandma to buy, fabric to make some flat/prefold diapers, and I'll be stashbusting both my fabric and my yarn for clothes, RS, diaper covers, blankets, etc. Just as soon as we finish the furniture rearranging so I can get my new sewing room set up.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#34 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 04:49 PM

i'm starting from scratch as well. planning to parent as naturally and low budget as possible
i'll be buying a dozen or two newborn prefolds, and plan to sew/knit a stash of fitteds, covers and wipes. looking at the moby wrap as a carrier to start. we will be co-sleeping, but only have a double bed so we will be mattress shopping at some point. i looked at the arms reach co-sleeper as an alternative, but it's so $$$. i'll be buying clothing secondhand for the most part, maybe sewing some. and we'll need a carseat.
i think that's it to start. we'll see how things go, and buy what we need from there eventually i'll want a jogging stroller, but won't need that til the following spring.
#35 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 05:16 PM

This is more wants than absolute needs, but we'll probably get most of it. Babies don't need that much. Diapers and baby carriers are the biggest items to me.
  • mini-van, Odyssey or Sienna - our family will continue to expand and it's tough to get two carseats in our Volvo. Plus both our cars are 14 years old.
  • Lazy boy type recliner so I can nurse two! Ds will be 27 mos old when new baby is born. I have always found my glider uncomfortable and would have gotten a recliner from the start if I had thought of it.
  • 12 Kissaluvs size 0, a few Nikky covers, and some prefolds
  • carseat - either another Boulevard or a forward facing only seat for ds, depending on how big he is in 6 months. Trying to buy the fewest number of carseats here while keeping ds rear facing until he's too big!
  • Maya wrap - I have plenty of slings, just not this type and I want one.
  • Clothes - especially newborn gowns and sleepers
#36 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 07:15 PM

we don't need a whole lot, this is our fifth and even though we got rid of everything after our third (DH had a vasectomy and then a reversal to have our fourth...and now fifth) we still have everything from number 4. We don't use much, we have a crib to hold laundry, I have several slings including the moby wrap (which I love for little babies), a mai tei, hotsling and two other non padded fitted pouches, maya wrap and a pool sling, I would like to get a beco and maybe an ergo as well for this one, maybe a new maya wrap because my old one is getting ratty after two kids use. We need a new carseat, ds (2 1/2) will still need his and that will be our biggest expense, but we will probably buy another boulevard since it will last years. We already purchased a new stroller because ds still loves his but I didn't think a double was a good idea because he will be done probably pretty soon after his sibling is born and then I'd be stuck with a double stroller. However if this baby is a girl (which I doubt, I think my body must reject girl sperm at this point LOL I have one dd but then had three ds') then we will have lots of shopping to do because we have NOTHING girly that doesn't apply to a 12 year old yikes! I am thinking a portacrib thingy for downstairs for diaper changing and naps if the baby ever naps off of me and to keep the baby out of the hands of my wild child who will be 3 when he/she is born but I have hangups because dh and I have dubbed them 'baby jails' because that is how we have seen them used the most LOL I don't know what else we need, this is our last so buying some items seems a waste of money at this point. Heck it is so fun shopping for a new baby though.....it's addictive!!

Erin
EDD 9-15-09 #5

Erin : ~~ unschooling mama to DD (12) , DS (11) :, DS (8) and DS (3) , DD Soleil Emily Meadow (9-18-09) born at home in the water
#37 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 08:24 PM

Car seat
Diapers
Clothes
Diaper bag
Wetbag for dirty diapers
Diaper pail
Bed liner for midnight leaks (we'll be cosleeping and I'd rather not have to do the sheets and air off the mattress every day)

Already have a sling

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#38 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 08:54 PM

For the baby, I'm thinking I just need:

A dresser

Clothes, but only if it's a girl. if it's a boy, I'm all set.

and maybe a double stroller (I am a big walker/runner). But I'm going to wait on that til after the baby is born then take DS, who will be close to 3 by then, out a few times to see if he's still willing to sit in the stroller for runs/walks. if so, then I'll get the double.

I also need a full-size bed for DS (not that he sleeps in his room, but...)

Mama to 2 sweet gorgeous children, a 4-year-old DS and a 1-year-old DD.
#39 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa_nc View Post
They really DON'T need that much. The baby product industry is a complete racket 95% of the time.
I was going to say- babies don't need a d*mn thing! Just love and cuddles.... oh I guess a carseat and a sling would be good. You might want something to cover his butt.... People will give you baby clothes. That's all I started with!

But as for me now, with #3, I don't need a single thing! For fun I treated myself to yet another sling and last summer I got rid of the baby bouncy seat that was given to us and got a pretty Svan one.

I honestly can't think of one thing I need... dd had whatever folks gave us, ds had some nicer upgrades (like a Peg Perego infant carseat and FuzziBunz CD's) but now that I have a girl and a boy, both fall kiddos, I don't need anything!

Oh wait, a polar fleece blanket like the other kids have. Maybe a baby blanket to call his own. My kids are suck-a-holics so I'll probably need to get a paci at some point- but maybe not, I'm hopeful!!!

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#40 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 11:26 PM

I've often contemplated skipping the bucket - but honestly, it's the WINTER that does me in. I HATE HATE HATE strapping little ones into the car in the freezing cold snow and all the friggin' winter gear (hats, coats, mittens, snowsuits, etc.) I would give my left TOE to be able to get the baby ready in the HOUSE and just 'click' them into the car - yk? Especially since now you don't even have to put much on them since the carrier covers have gotten so warm and good Especially since winter lasts from November until like JUNE here

Anybody like a mei tai for a newborn?

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#41 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleAnnette View Post
[*]Lazy boy type recliner so I can nurse two! Ds will be 27 mos old when new baby is born. I have always found my glider uncomfortable and would have gotten a recliner from the start if I had thought of it.[*]Maya wrap - I have plenty of slings, just not this type and I want one.[/LIST]
ohhhh.... a lazy boy would be awesome!! I'm making that my list! There is a sweet cozy rocking armchair and ottoman that I have seen at the local baby boutique, it must be time to go put that on layaway.

We have a Honda van, I like it but I still miss my Subaru Outback.

Maya wrap is my FAVORITE sling and I think I have tried almost all of them at this point. I just gave myself a naughty treat and got a Sakura Bloom sling- but I got a good deal on it!

Megan~ mama to Cecilia (9/1/04) Carl (11/19/06) Vivian (9/10/09) & spring 2011 baby.
#42 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Julia, my newborns didn't like the Mei Tei. But they are very picky about what they like to be carried in, so take that with a grain of salt.

And I'm totally with you on the infant bucket; having to put 3 other kids in the van PLUS an infant is enough to send me to the looney bin. Being able to buckle the baby inside, and just snap the seat in will be my sanity saver. My oldest is in a high back booster and can buckle herself in, but my 6yo and soon to be 4yo will still be harnessed and it takes us forever and a day to get in, get buckles done and straps tight. I already bought an infant seat, LOL! Priorities!!!

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page