What do you need to get for this baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting a mental list of stuff we need before this baby comes. I like to spread out the buying and usually start at around 14wks. With every single baby, I've gotten rid of everything besides the crib, so we start from scratch every freaking time

I figure at the very least:

infant car seat (already bought one- couldn't resist the deal I found)
diapers- even with prefolds and covers, it's gonna be a chunk of change
baby clothes- hopefully some friends will pass along hand me downs
breast pump- I loved my Avent Isis, so at least it's not too $$$
some sort of double stroller/sit n stand type situation
my babies love either the swing or bouncer seat, so I'll be watching CL

What about you? Are you set for this baby, or do you have some shopping to do?

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#2 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 10:06 PM

I was just thinking about this last night.

-I don't have much NB/preemie wool. I have the actual wool here, but I need someone to knit it up for me.
-I think I have plenty of diapers. I might get another 6 fitteds.
-I would love a new carrier. Ergo, Beco, or Babyhawk.
-And I was kind of thinking about a tandem stroller. DD will be 4 when the baby comes, but I'm thinking it would be nice for her to have somewhere to sit too.

I think that's about it.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#3 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 10:09 PM

I have to start from scratch, since I thought DD would be my last (I was still married to xh at the time & he had a vasectomy). We have a Radian that DS2 will be done with by September, so we can use that for baby. If we have a girl we are set, because a good friend of mine offered me her baby stuff from her DD (it's all pink)...if we have a boy however, no such luck I am debating whether to get a crib AND a co-sleeper, or just a co-sleeper...

We need:
Crib/co-sleeper
Cloth dipes
sling
clothes (depending on gender)

#4 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

I bought a Beco from mamabargains.com for $58 before I got pg- figured it would be awesome if I got to use it, or a great gift if I never had another baby! And I have my Hotsling from DS, just remembered that! :

I don't *need* a new diaper bag, but I'm gonna buy one for my birthday Probably a Ju Ju Be Be Right Back. But that's a luxury, not a necessity.

Half-marathon running Mommy to 3 spunky girls and 1 sweet boy. Spending my days and nights where my kids need me most- at home with them!!

#5 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 PM

I still have my Petunia PickleBottom diaper bag, but I gave away all of my slings. i've been eyeing those Becos

#6 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 10:16 PM

Oh great, I did a search for the Ju Ju Be Be Right Back, and I love the Ju Ju Be Be Prepared & Between! Such temptation!

#7 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 10:22 PM

I need a new diaper bag, a carseat, a sling, and a stroller - plus clothes regardless of which gender.....

The other stuff I either already have or already hit up my SIL for

I also need a new bundle me since the baby will be tiny still in the winter - I'm thinking worst case (broke) scenerio) I can borrow a carseat and a stroller from one of my friends and I might MIGHT be able to dig up a diaper bag from Maddie - otherwise there's always the el cheapo ones they give you in the hosptial, yk?

I'm hoping for handmedowns regardless of the sex of the baby - we got rid of all Grace's stuff (I have the 24m summer stuff in the garage waiting for the consignment shop - holding off til I'm certain about this baby )

Ultimately I'd like the Graco infant safeseat that goes to 30lbs, the Peg perego Pliko P3 stroller and another Peanut Shell sling, and just a nice fall Boden bag, hopefully. We'll see - as of right now I have NO clients after the first week of May - so things could potentially be very tight around here. Nice to have free time with my OWN kiddos - but sucky to be broke while doing it, yk?

Julia(34), Mommy to: Maddie(10), Grace(6), Charlotte (3) and our only Little Man (due 2/23). 

It's a crazy life!

#8 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 10:25 PM - Thread Starter

Calimommy, I have the Be Tween and it's a sweeet bag

Julia, I know what you mean; DH is supposed to go back to nights in May, which will give us a 12% salary increase (which is huge) and that will increase my baby budget considerably. If not, we'll be scraping by with what I find on CL and on clearance.

#9 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 10:47 PM

starting from scratch here too. need it all. i'm going to try and deal with just the basics, of course the basics are different for every mama. i already did my registry at target i couldn't resist the urge to "shop" for baby things, so i figured atleast i can pick stuff out without having to commit to it yet. it was fun!
#10 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 10:53 PM

My must buys/makes are a car seat, clothes, diapers/wipes + paraphernalia, and a sling. My youngest is going to be six when the baby is born, so this is from scratch. I made a registry because I was trying to get myself into the baby (which helped). Really, with this being a not first kid and seeing how much crap we accumulate, I'd like to keep it simple.

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  
#11 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 11:10 PM

We are moving in April, so I'll unpack all the baby stuff then and see what we need. DS is 5 yo, so we did get rid of some things but kept others. I know I'll need an infant car seat, but I will borrow my sister's Snugride. I will need a high chair eventually.

I am heavier now than I was with DS, so I'm hoping some of my slings still fit. I know my Hotsling won't. Hopefully my Zolo ring sling still fits. That one was my favorite.

~ deb, BFAR mommy to ds1 Dec 7, 2003, Jan 08, ds2 Sept 20, 2009
#12 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 11:35 PM

I'm a first-timer so I will have everything to buy! Don't know where to start actually and have been feeling too superstitious (even though I am not usually) to buy before the 2nd trimester.
Top of my list is 1) co-sleeper 2) sling or baby bjorn (anyone with strong opinions on this?) and of course the necessary diapers and car-seat/stroller.

My DH asked me the other day if we needed to buy a car seat and stroller *before* the baby was born. . .ummmm. . .yeah I think he was thinking homebirth, nothing to need. Hmmm, he has a long way to go learning about how many things babies require and how much I love to shop!

photosmile2.gif Me= crunchy mama to one rambunctious toddler, born on October 1, 2009. And one sweet little baby born January 19, 2012. heartbeat.gif

#13 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 11:48 PM

We sold a lot at our last garage sale. So, we need an infant car seat, more cloth diapers, clothes, another sling and a diaper bag.

proud mama to: DD (8/02), DS (12/03), DS (11/06), DS (9/09) and pos.gif EDD 11/1

#14 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post
I'm a first-timer so I will have everything to buy! Don't know where to start actually and have been feeling too superstitious (even though I am not usually) to buy before the 2nd trimester.
Top of my list is 1) co-sleeper 2) sling or baby bjorn (anyone with strong opinions on this?) and of course the necessary diapers and car-seat/stroller.
Yes, a big NO on the Baby Bjorn. Slings are WAYYYYY better.

That said, my DH did like the Baby Bjorn.

~ deb, BFAR mommy to ds1 Dec 7, 2003, Jan 08, ds2 Sept 20, 2009
#15 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

I had one baby who HATED, and I mean HATED the sling. She loved the Bjorn. The other 2 were great sling babies- although, one of those 2 preferred the Ergo. I think the baby's preference has a lot to do with it. And some mamas cannot use slings because of shoulder/upper back issues; even if worn correctly. It's great if you can try them on, with a weighted baby doll, and wear them around a store for awhile if you can't borrow from a friend. Baby wearing is really personal, in terms of the baby and the mama, IME.

#16 of 42 Old 02-23-2009, 11:58 PM

I've still got lots leftover from my other kiddos in terms of clothing and baby gear, although we need a new infant carseat this time around, b/c ours is now expired. But recently I've been toying with just starting out with a Britax convertible this time around and foregoing the baby bucket phase altogether, since we honestly rarely use it as a carrier (AND that's what my huge collection of baby carriers are for, of course! ) Ooh, which reminds me, I will making the new baby his/her very own sling. Fun!

I have lots of cloth dipes and wool, but everything fitted in sizes NB, SM, and MD is super-girly, since I've had two girlies in a row and didn't CD DS2 until he was a toddler. So if this babe's a boy (and yes, we peek, that's actually one of my great joys of pg ), I have some knitting/sewing/shopping to do. More fun!

I think I need a new wetbag or two. And our baby bouncer bit the dust a while back, so I might replace it -- our local Mother of Twins Club holds a huge biannual sale (coming up next month) that is always a good place to snag baby equipment, so I may scope that out. I need to dust off my Medela PIS (especially if I have another preemie, 3 of my 5 have been) and make sure it's still running, just in case.

We co-sleep, so we sold our gorgeous, hardwood, Italian-made laundry receptacle (aka CRIB) 4 babies ago, when it became obvious it would never see any real use. I have a pack n' play w/bassinett and changing inserts that I usually keep by the bedside for the first few months (and honestly, it's usually only there to hold all the baby's junk, and only very rarely the baby itself ) and then later on, we can always start the baby off for the night in one of our other beds. My gf has an Amby baby hammock that looks so amazing and cozy, but it's super $$$ and I really can't justify it for one (and final) babe.

I think my only major *want* this time around is a Combi double stroller. We only own a single stroller, and it's fine, but Sophie is still such a peanut (22 lbs. at almost 3 yrs. old) and she tires far more easily than my other toddlers did due to her disabilities, so I can see a real use for a double stroller with a second little one. We'll see if I can talk DH into that one.

Oh, gosh, speaking of having to persuade DH, I almost forgot about our biggest (and by far most $$$$) NEED. Gulp. A new vehicle! Baby #6 makes 8 of us, and our Odyssey seats 7. This is a problem. DH appears to be a bit in denial of this quite obvious dilemma, and has been rumbling about waiting to get a larger vehicle until AFTER the baby is born. Um, I don't think so. : Do you all really think he can possibly hold out against the fully unleashed powers of a pg nesting wife? Poor guy -- he doesn't stand a chance!

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#17 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

Guin, try out the Combi double before you buy- and test it with kids in it. I had 2 of them and they were by far the hardest to steer, most flimsy doubles that I've had (I'm a bit of a stroller addict )- the first time I thought I got a lemon, but the second was just as bad. Have you checked out the Maclaren doubles?

#18 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deymm View Post
Yes, a big NO on the Baby Bjorn. Slings are WAYYYYY better.

That said, my DH did like the Baby Bjorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayleeZoo View Post
I had one baby who HATED, and I mean HATED the sling. She loved the Bjorn. The other 2 were great sling babies- although, one of those 2 preferred the Ergo. I think the baby's preference has a lot to do with it. And some mamas cannot use slings because of shoulder/upper back issues; even if worn correctly. It's great if you can try them on, with a weighted baby doll, and wear them around a store for awhile if you can't borrow from a friend. Baby wearing is really personal, in terms of the baby and the mama, IME.
This really deserves its own thread, but I totally agree that baby wearing is personal and different carriers work better/worse for different people and babies. Of course, I use this as justification as to why I need to own so very many of them!

I will go further to say that I find different carriers better at different ages/stages of development. For newborns, I like the Moby or Hug-a-bub-style wraps. When they get a little older, I love my Mei Tai. And toddlers and Ergos were just made for one another. I love my ring sling for quick trips in and out, as it's a breeze to get on and off, and it's my most versatile carrier, hands-down (I can tie a kid into a highchair with it, spread it out as a blanket at the park, line a shopping cart with it, hang it as a sunshade in the car, and I'm just getting started, lol!). But I hate it for long trips, b/c it places too much strain on my shoulder/back.

The best is to find a brick-and-mortar store that carries a number of different carriers or have the good fortune to have a gf that has a whole bunch you can try on. And if you don't have one, be sure to borrow a baby to put in them, too.

Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#19 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 12:12 AM

I used a friend's Combi double when we went to San Francisco a couple of years ago, and it was fantastic for quick hop-on-and-off the trolleys, easy opening and closing, etc.

But I agree it has its drawbacks. The harness closures break VERY easily when you open and close the stroller (design flaw, they will replace them for free, but still annoying), and the baskets underneath are very small. But it's fully reclinable, which rocks for a newborn or sleeping older kiddo.

Honestly, I have yet to find a double stroller that has all the features *I* would have if I were the one designing it. My memory of MacClarens in general is that they have no cargo space -- is that true of the double, as well? Off to google...

Guin

#20 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 12:37 AM

On the list of still need:
fabric for prefolds and time to knit covers - I already have all the wool
great-grandma has volunteered to buy the car seat
something to use as a diaper pail

I think that's about it... although I'm trying to justify buying a new bed, since we're in a queen now and it's already tight.

I already have pretty much everything else.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#21 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 01:16 AM

I have to wait and see if my bun-in-the-oven turns out to be a *he* or a *she* before I start buying - I might have the stuff, might not. With Sam I got a TON of hand-me-downs, but no one I know has a baby girl, so I'll be, ahhem, FORCED to do some cute girly babe clothes shopping!

And, of course, I need a tandem stroller, a co-sleeper and I'd love a new Moby wrap and an Ergo. (Anyone know a good "gently used" slings source?) I'm already starting to put stuff on my Amazon wish lit, since I won't be registering with this one.

*Meghan* - Mom to Sam (5/14/08) and Joseph Scott born 9/10/09! and wife to amazing hubby Mike : ! WE LOVE OUR : FAMILY!
#22 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 01:36 AM

we'll be starting from scratch, except i have my sling that a friend made me from ds and dd.

we need dipes, diaperbag(birth center birth= no free bag, lol) wipes, wetbag and other related items, carseat, clothes and especially socks.

i may try to get a bouncy seat/swing or something. will need something to keep the babe in for me to grab a fast shower in when hub isn't home. neither of my other kids liked either one though

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
#23 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 07:02 AM

I'll wait to see if it's a he or she. I don't pick names or buy anything until 20 weeks anyway. I don't need much, probably some new onesies, a bed/bassinet and a nursing pillow as I gave mine away but not much else. It's too early for me to think of those things, first I need my brain back!
#24 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 AM

I have almost everything I need left from ds but here is my list:

*new wash cloths or flannel for wipes
*maya wrap (borrowed one last time)
*double stroller (Chariot)
*wheel board for my bugaboo
*a few new covers (wool mostly)
*lg diaper pail (borrowed one last time)
*car seat (will give baby ds's britax and buy a new radian or britax booster for him)

I'm hoping my parents will buy the new stoller and mil the the new car seat but who knows...

Mama to sweet Joey (01/27/06), rainbow1284.gif VBAC baby Rita born 09/12/09!
#25 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
eek! This is my first baby and I feel so overwhelmed about this stuff. I had no idea babies needed so much!

I think we will definitely need a crib and carseat. And I've been eyeing those play yards. does anyone find them useful?

Texmati-- Knitter, Hindu, vegetarian, WOHM. Wife to superdadsuperhero.gif and mom to DS babyf.gif24 months, and DD boc.gif 8 months! .

#26 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 11:32 AM

I think all I really need is a car seat, and a new baby swing

I still have all the different carriers from DS and all his newborn - 3 month clothes were green and yellow... if we have a girl I'll have time after she's born to buy clothes (not that I haven't already gotten a few girl things just in case )

0****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****403rdtri.gif

#27 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texmati View Post
eek! This is my first baby and I feel so overwhelmed about this stuff. I had no idea babies needed so much!
They really DON'T need that much. The baby product industry is a complete racket 95% of the time.

Minions...I've got minions. Sheepish.gifblahblah.gifangel2.gifkid.gif  And dogs.  
#28 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 12:16 PM

I need to:

* make a couple of newborn / small fitted diapers and covers (I borrowed most of these last time...and sold the few that were mine)
* get more prefolds
* buy/make a cotton gauze wrap

That's pretty much it this time around. We have a boy and a girl already...so we just need to get the right clothes back from the right family member.

Other than that I just need family members to transport the rest of my baby stuff from the States down to Costa Rica where we now live. My maternity clothes and some initial baby stuff will be coming down at the end of March (hope I can make it another month without needing maternity clothes).
#29 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa_nc View Post
They really DON'T need that much. The baby product industry is a complete racket 95% of the time.
I really do agree with this. There's really nothing the baby industry can offer that improves upon a mother's arms and her breasts for a newborn baby. Throw in some sleepers, a few dipes, and the requisite carseat if you plan to take baby anywhere, and the rest is REALLY negotiable.

Sure, some of the gadgetry can make things more convenient, but that's for US as parents, to be honest, not b/c the baby NEEDS these things. I swear, they really don't care if they're carried in a top-of-the-line, super-trendy baby carrier or an old sheet turned into a sling. Ditto for strollers, sleeping accomodations, and everything else.

Sometimes it's best to wait until baby is actually here to see what you will really use -- some babies don't LIKE swings or bouncy seats, for example. Some hate cribs and far prefer smaller, enclosed spaces like a pack n' play or bassinett (or snuggled next to you.) Of course, this takes some of the fun out of baby shower registering, I suppose, but you can always ask for gift cards and wait on some of these things until you determine you really, truly want them.

Guin

#30 of 42 Old 02-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post
It has always been my understanding, from the mamas on the babywearing forum (have you been reading there yet?) that the Bjorn is not good for babies' spines. The fabric of the carrier is not wide, it just holds them so they're hanging by the crotch and it puts pressure on their spines. Or at least that's how it was when I had my first- maybe they have realized this and changed the design? I had one, and I have found other carriers to be much more comfortable.

Other carriers, like the Ergo or Beco, are wider, so the baby's legs are supported and the baby is sitting on its behind. The Ergo & the Patapum are kind of utilitarian-looking, but I found them very comfortable. There are lots of other carrier choices out there with amazing fabric, too!

Check out MDC's babywearing forum and The Babywearer as well.

I need to get an infant carseat, and I might ask my friend to help me make a pouch carrier for the first 5 months or so. I have a Maya Wrap ringsling that I've always loved using, though, and it does well from birth to toddler years, plus a Patapum that my friend is currently borrowing, so I don't really need anything else.

We'll be doing EC, so we won't need tons of diapers, but I think I'm going to try the cheap route with prefolds & a Snappi this time!

We cosleep, and I have saved everything from both my son & daughter's clothes in the attic, so I don't need anything, really.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page